PDA

View Full Version : How would a team of the best 39 year olds in Nba history perform in todays Nba?

Reggie43
06-26-2020, 07:16 AM
Im currently at that age and seeing Vince announce his retirement got me thinking about older players that were still good at the twilight of their careers.

Jabbar/Parish
Malone/Dirk
Hill/Vince
Jordan/Miller
Stockton/ Kidd

Is this enough for a deep playoff run? Would they be actual contenders or do they miss the playoffs? Too slow for the modern nba?

Feel free to tweak the lineups and add better players at the same age or older.

Shogon
06-26-2020, 07:18 AM
If you operate in the fantasy land of injuries not being a thing, that's a title.

Axe
06-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Been wondering what a 39-year old lebron can do 4 years later.

iamgine
06-26-2020, 09:05 AM
They would be good at first but quickly fall off. What do you think opponents would do when facing them? They would run, run and run some more. I'm thinking 8th seed and 1st round elimination at best.

Reggie43
06-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Add in Manu and Uncle Cliffy for a 12 man roster.

jlip
06-26-2020, 04:36 PM
A few of these players such as Kareem, Parish, MJ, Malone, Stockton, and Dirk had some pretty solid seasons at that age. Most of them played over 75 games and ~30+mpg while averaging double figures scoring. Allowing them to have Kawhi level load management where they played no back to backs and 65-70 games maximum at ~30mpg, they could be very productive offensively, especially in the half court. They would obviously suffer defensively. If the starters were all in this age bracket, the bench would have to be balanced with younger, more athletic players in order to be playoff contenders.

Overdrive
06-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Im currently at that age and seeing Vince announce his retirement got me thinking about older players that were still good at the twilight of their careers.

Jabbar/Parish
Malone/Dirk
Hill/Vince
Jordan/Miller
Stockton/ Kidd

Is this enough for a deep playoff run? Would they be actual contenders or do they miss the playoffs? Too slow for the modern nba?

Since Jordan played SF in WAS I'd slide Miller into the S5. Would also fit todays game better.

Reggie43
06-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Since Jordan played SF in WAS I'd slide Miller into the S5. Would also fit todays game better.

Needed a defender/glue guy in the starting lineup just to balance it out so I went with Hill. Miller comes in and Jordan plays sf like you said for a better fit offensively.

gonzaldo
06-26-2020, 07:05 PM
In 2001-02 jazz lead by a 40 year old Stockton and nearly 39 y old Malone (he would turn 39 2 months after their elimination) made the playoffs and took a game from sacramento.

you can add duncan and fisher to the roster

Bronbron23
06-26-2020, 07:11 PM

Jabbar/Parish
Malone/Dirk
Hill/Vince
Jordan/Miller
Stockton/ Kidd

Ok i guess. They might make the playoffs but probably lose in the second round or something. They're not winning the chip.

Reggie43
06-26-2020, 11:53 PM
Malone and Stockton at 39 and 40 years of age led their own team to 47 wins and a playoff berth as said by one of the posters. Add Jordan, Jabbar, Parish, Miller etc to that mix and they might have an ensemble similar to the 2000 Blazers and could go on a deep playoff run. Have that team play on a shortened season and they probably win it all lol.

Reggie43
06-26-2020, 11:54 PM
Barring major injuries of course.