PDA

View Full Version : Is Dennis Rodman underrated?

tpols
06-26-2020, 02:22 PM
watching tape i feel like dennis rodman was better than many 20-25 ppg all stars because of how dominant he was at what he was good at. Like... you can find a 20+ ppg scorer pretty cheap, especially with mediocre efficiency, they're everywhere if given the opportunity. You simply can't find a guy who will get you 15+ hard fought boards, elite help defense, elite man defense, can completely psych out opposing superstars, and makes at least a couple momentum shifting hustle plays a game diving around. He is such a rare talent... even MJ admitted that rodman went harder than himself. He was an ultimate competitor and contributor to winning.

Roundball_Rock
06-26-2020, 02:41 PM
For sure. There is a reason wherever he went his teams won (people remember Chicago, Detroit but forget SA's high water mark before Duncan was with Rodman).

People forget he arguably was FMVP of the 96' finals, arguably outplaying Kemp (another candidate for FMVP). The Bulls' as a whole shot poorly but it didn't matter since Rodman gave the Bulls so many possessions.

ArbitraryWater
06-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Man you flip flop a lot lately bru

imdaman99
06-26-2020, 03:07 PM
He's the 2nd 3peats draymond for the bulls. They ain't winning rings without him or a similar type of player that does all the little dirty inglorious things.

Turbo Slayer
06-26-2020, 03:09 PM
He is great.

tpols
06-26-2020, 03:14 PM
He's the 2nd 3peats draymond for the bulls. They ain't winning rings without him or a similar type of player that does all the little dirty inglorious things.

i thought somebody would bring this up...

Dray isn't legendary at any one thing. He's great at defense, and very good at rebounding. Rodman is arguably the GOAT rebounder, and a GOAT defender.

Dray's passing is largely contingent on the spacing, distraction, and movement the splash bros created. You think draymond green would be orchestrating any type of elite offense without them? Look at this year... not a chance. He's a bum outside the system. And his scoring ability is awful just like rodman's, except rodman knew his role and didn't play outside it. He was pure positive impact.

First thing that crossed my mind watching him is that he is a super dray.

Carbine
06-26-2020, 03:36 PM
I don't think this year says anything about Draymond. We already knew he wasn't a #1, face of franchise player.

If he's your best player it's going to be brutal. If he's your third best player you're probably a contender.

I'd rather have him in his prime as my third banana than Westbrook, Bradley Beal, KAT, etc

That's the Rodman comparison. Both are capable of scoring 8 points and being the best player on the floor.

BTW, Dray's defense was legendary. I think he's a better defender than Rodman overall.

HoopsNY
06-26-2020, 03:39 PM
You put Rodman with any 2 great scorers and that team is winning a championship. I think if the Warriors of the early 90s had Rodman, they would have won at least 1 title.

tpols
06-26-2020, 03:47 PM
BTW, Dray's defense was legendary. I think he's a better defender than Rodman overall.

That's a ludicrous opinion.

dray wouldnt do shit against prime Shaq, Zo, or others... he benefits defensively from this small ball era with no real big man talent.

and was just nowhere near the rebounder rodman was. Rodman's rebounding was so good it demoralized opponents.

And an extra possesion is worth a bucket.

Carbine
06-26-2020, 03:58 PM
I'm judging him by the era he plays in, which he is legendary at.

Maybe Russell isn't the GOAT defender if he has to be 20 feet away from the basket in this era. You judge them in their era they play in, that's the only logical way.

Nobody could guard those great center anyway, except Zo. I'm not sure why you put him in there, Dray could handle him well.

Norcaliblunt
06-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Just like Pippen he falls into the underrated/overrated category depending on the agenda. He was one of the best role players of all time. In the conversation for goat rebounder and an time great defender. He also was a basket case who without the proper leadership around him could be a liability.

tpols
06-26-2020, 04:08 PM
I'm judging him by the era he plays in, which he is legendary at.

Maybe Russell isn't the GOAT defender if he has to be 20 feet away from the basket in this era. You judge them in their era they play in, that's the only logical way.

Nobody could guard those great center anyway, except Zo. I'm not sure why you put him in there, Dray could handle him well.

you have to look at talent in a vacuum.

you admit dray wouldnt be shit in a dominant 90s era of big men. Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Zo would eat him alive.

Hell, tristan thompson feasted against golden state.

But on the flip side, what disadvantage does rodman have today? Young rodman kept up with michael jordan on the perimeter. If he did that he could lock down anybody from today.

Carbine
06-26-2020, 04:17 PM
I didn't admit anything. You're unbearable at times with the whole twist words around thing. I don't know how good Draymond would be in the 80's 90's..... nobody does. I know how good he is now.

Who says he guards those guys anyway? Back then he'd be playing next to a big center. He'd be guarding Oakley, Davis bro's, those kinds of players.

Rodman could hand check, big advantage for defensive players. I still think Rodman would figure it out because he was a uniquely gifted defensive player.

Roundball_Rock
06-26-2020, 06:43 PM
He missed 33 games in 95'. The Spurs went 40-9 with him (67 win pace); 19-14 without him (47 win pace). That speaks for itself. :bowdown:

FultzNationRISE
06-26-2020, 06:50 PM
For sure. There is a reason wherever he went his teams won (people remember Chicago, Detroit but forget SA's high water mark before Duncan was with Rodman).

People forget he arguably was FMVP of the 96' finals, arguably outplaying Kemp (another candidate for FMVP). The Bulls' as a whole shot poorly but it didn't matter since Rodman gave the Bulls so many possessions.

Yup.

Been sayin all this stuff for years.

Most people only understand volume scoring tho.

Roundball_Rock
06-26-2020, 06:51 PM
Yup.

Been sayin all this stuff for years.

Most people only understand volume scoring tho.

Yup. If you aren't scoring 25+ PPG you are a scrub to many fans. :facepalm

FultzNationRISE
06-26-2020, 06:53 PM
you have to look at talent in a vacuum.

you admit dray wouldnt be shit in a dominant 90s era of big men. Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Zo would eat him alive.

Hell, tristan thompson feasted against golden state.

But on the flip side, what disadvantage does rodman have today? Young rodman kept up with michael jordan on the perimeter. If he did that he could lock down anybody from today.

Well you definitely cant be as physical and inflammatory on defense as Rodman was, or even as recently as the Pistons/Spurs type teams were.

It’s not that Rodman would be less capable today. But hed probably be less valuable because it’s less of a defensive game today in the Curry/Harden era.

tpols
06-27-2020, 05:25 AM
watch rodman run the floor @ 5:33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-8aZ5orIRg&t=205s

that's why phil called him the greatest athlete he'd ever seen.

that was him pretty much all game every game.

fourkicks44
06-27-2020, 08:38 AM
watching tape i feel like dennis rodman was better than many 20-25 ppg all stars because of how dominant he was at what he was good at. Like... you can find a 20+ ppg scorer pretty cheap, especially with mediocre efficiency, they're everywhere if given the opportunity. You simply can't find a guy who will get you 15+ hard fought boards, elite help defense, elite man defense, can completely psych out opposing superstars, and makes at least a couple momentum shifting hustle plays a game diving around. He is such a rare talent... even MJ admitted that rodman went harder than himself. He was an ultimate competitor and contributor to winning.

tpols, you finally coming around, bro :cheers:

Let's be serious, defense and rebounding have become underrated as a whole.

Drygon
06-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Nobody underrates Dennis Rodman.

Everyone recognize him as GOAT rebounder and one of best defenders ever.

Chicago Bulls (except 1998) and Detroit Pistons wouldn't have won their titles without Rodman.

Soundwave
06-27-2020, 05:50 PM
Truth: No one from the glamour Bulls teams is "underrated".

Jordan is rightfully ranked as GOAT.

The supporting players on the Bulls are all well recognized moreso than other comparable or better players from the time period.

You will still see people wearing no.91 Rodman Bulls jerseys to this day.

So I'd say no. Rodman is one of the most well known and remembered players from the 80s/90s.

Guys like Luc Longley still get recoginized a lot these days, because he played with Jordan, Steve Kerr has basically said as much too, a lot of doors in his career opened and continue to do so because of his association with the Jordan Bulls.

Many younger fans by contrast have no clue who Adrian Dantley was many don't even remember Joe Dumars.