PDA

View Full Version : should Toronto retire Vince carter's jersey number?

LukeWalton
06-27-2020, 12:56 AM
yay or nay

MrFonzworth
06-27-2020, 12:57 AM
I haven't decided. I'll let you know soon.

HoopsNY
06-27-2020, 01:05 AM
Without question. Given that Toronto was a recent expansion team, Vince was really the first player that brought a heightened sense of excitement to the franchise and city. Mighty Mouse was good, but not on Vince's level.

You had people saying Vince was the next MJ. I remember his performance in the 2000 Slam Dunk contest. What made that contest so remarkable was that aside from the Vince, there were some spectacular dunks from Tmac, Steve Francis, Ricky Davis, and I believe Baron Davis. Despite a spectacular display from everyone else, Vince clearly shined above and beyond them.

The Raptors went from being a 16 win team with clearly no chance of being competitive to 45 wins just 2 seasons later, largely due to Vince's offensive ability (and Antonio Davis' defense). And the year after that they managed to make it to the second round.

Vince was basically a 24-5-5 player for much of his career with Toronto and made them competitive. Not to mention he was the most spectacular player to watch for a number of seasons.

HylianNightmare
06-27-2020, 02:41 AM
They will that shit was so long ago only the oldest fandom would still be a little mad and even they have probably gotten over it. More than 80% of the new drake fans weren't even alive

getting_old
06-27-2020, 07:41 AM
For sure, Bosh as well.

It wasn't perfect but VC gave the organization credibility.

Even though I got tired of going to games where he started off 6/7 and wound up 10/25...

Axe
06-27-2020, 08:00 AM
For sure, Bosh as well.

It wasn't perfect but VC gave the organization credibility.

Even though I got tired of going to games where he started off 6/7 and wound up 10/25...
Now, whose dup are ya? 🤔

Anyway, they can retire his jersey but for some reason, i think it's not necessary.

getting_old
06-27-2020, 08:04 AM
Now, whose dup are ya? ��

Anyway, they can retire his jersey but for some reason, i think it's not necessary.

The franchise has to decide if it wants to be one that retires everybody's number or limit it to immortals or tragic stories.

The Leafs didn't retire numbers by the handful until recently.

The Vince years were filled with the good/bad/ugly, overall and with a title in the bank one can look back with better feelings.

Drygon
06-27-2020, 08:37 AM
Absolutely. Vince was amazing player who did notable impact on/off the court.

I think Vince will (and should) get his Nets jersey retired too.

Stephonit
06-27-2020, 08:43 AM
After they retire DeMar DeRozan's.

Axe
06-27-2020, 09:18 AM
The franchise has to decide if it wants to be one that retires everybody's number or limit it to immortals or tragic stories.

The Leafs didn't retire numbers by the handful until recently.

The Vince years were filled with the good/bad/ugly, overall and with a title in the bank one can look back with better feelings.
What might be memorable about him is that the raptors are the first team he played for in the league and that he's involved in giving the franchise their first-ever playoff berth in many years.

getting_old
06-27-2020, 09:39 AM
What might be memorable about him is that the raptors are the first team he played for in the league and that he's involved in giving the franchise their first-ever playoff berth in many years.

for sure

i booed him at games and was fed up with a lot of his shenanigans

but he put Toronto on the map and was a great hi-lite reel Man

the best anecdote was his agent tried and tried and tried to train him how to be a decent interview for more endorsements, and he just didn't care and/or was incapable of grasping the concept at all