PDA

View Full Version : Terry Rozier didn't know the Bulls 3-Peated twice in the 90s ...

L.Kizzle
07-06-2020, 10:24 PM
... until the Last Dance came on ESPN a few months ago.

How do you guys feel about that?

A professional NBA players doesn't know The Chicago Bulls led by Michael Jordan won six championships in the 1990s (3-Peating Twice.) It's not like he said he doesn't know who Hal Greer was drafted by or who won the NBA Championship in 1956.
Terry Rozier plays for the Charlotte Hornets. Michael Jordan is the owner of the Charlotte Hornets. Michael Jordan is also Michael Jordan.

If Terry doesn't know that, what else doesn't he know? He probably didn't even know why all those numbers were hanging from the rafters when he played in Boston.

I can imagine when he was drafted and asked for number 6 and they told him he couldn't use that as Bill Russell wore that number.
"Who the f*ck is Bill Russell, I'm Scary Terry!"

Terry Rozier should be suspended indefinitely until he learns some basic NBA history.

Terry Rozier didn’t know Michael Jordan, Bulls 3-peated twice until ‘Last Dance’ (https://sports.yahoo.com/terry-rozier-didn-t-know-234835161.html)

Axe
07-06-2020, 10:27 PM
1-9 :lol

WhiteKyrie
07-06-2020, 10:31 PM
This dude single handedly took Prime LeBron and Kevin Love to 7 games?

:wtf:

L.Kizzle
07-06-2020, 10:35 PM
This dude single handedly took Prime LeBron and Kevin Love to 7 games?

:wtf:

Terry Rozier didn’t know Michael Jordan, Bulls 3-peated twice until ‘Last Dance’ (https://sports.yahoo.com/terry-rozier-didn-t-know-234835161.html)

warriorfan
07-06-2020, 10:47 PM
... until the Last Dance came on ESPN a few months ago.

How do you guys feel about that?

A professional NBA players doesn't know The Chicago Bulls led by Michael Jordan won six championships in the 1990s (3-Peating Twice.) It's not like he said he doesn't know who Hal Greer was drafted by or who won the NBA Championship in 1956.
Terry Rozier plays for the Charlotte Hornets. Michael Jordan is the owner of the Charlotte Hornets. Michael Jordan is also Michael Jordan.

If Terry doesn't know that, what else doesn't he know? He probably didn't even know why all those numbers were hanging from the rafters when he played in Boston.

I can imagine when he was drafted and asked for number 6 and they told him he couldn't use that as Bill Russell wore that number.
"Who the f*ck is Bill Russell, I'm Scary Terry!"

Terry Rozier should be suspended indefinitely until he learns some basic NBA history.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:applause:

Bawkish
07-06-2020, 11:31 PM
basically every millenial bball fans today

SouBeachTalents
07-06-2020, 11:51 PM
I wonder what else he doesn't know. They should have asked him if he knew Jordan retired to play baseball, or if he joined the Wizards his final seasons

Uncle Drew
07-06-2020, 11:58 PM
Not surprising, given it was the most watered down league we’ve ever had. If we didn’t have sociopath 3ball around here, nobody on ISH would know either since it’s hardly a noteworthy accomplishment.

iamgine
07-07-2020, 12:04 AM
I assume he's a player and not a basketball fan.

Axe
07-07-2020, 12:09 AM
Not surprising, given it was the most watered down league we’ve ever had. If we didn’t have sociopath 3ball around here, nobody on ISH would know either since it’s hardly a noteworthy accomplishment.
https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/disapproving_look.jpg

light
07-07-2020, 12:23 AM
Clearly it's irrelevant. It doesnt matter.

Jordan himself didn't know anything about NBA history either.

Shooter
07-07-2020, 01:31 AM
I guess wins over John Starks and Jeff Hornacek arent held in high regard.

dbugz
07-07-2020, 02:09 AM
I guess wins over John Starks and Jeff Hornacek arent held in high regard.

Dwyane Wade says LeBron James can never be greater than Michael Jordan (https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/dwyane-wade-says-lebron-james-can-never-be-greater-than-michael-jordan/)

Carmelo Anthony wasn’t comfortable with the question, but he acknowledges there is just one basketball GOAT — Michael Jordan (https://nypost.com/2020/05/29/carmelo-anthony-weighs-in-on-michael-jordan-lebron-james-goat-debate/)

Mike Malone: Killer Mentality Made Michael Jordan Better Than LeBron James (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2887907-michael-malone-killer-mentality-made-michael-jordan-better-than-lebron-james)

Mario Chalmers And JR Smith Say Michael Jordan Is The GOAT (https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/05/05/mario-chalmers-and-jr-smith-say-michael-jordan-is-the-goat/)

Ray Allen still takes Michael Jordan over LeBron James as the greatest of all time (https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-ray-allen-still-takes-michael-jordan-over-lebron-james-as-the-greatest-of-all-time/)

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3ornkdvPFqHxkC5QE8/200_d.gif

kentatm
07-07-2020, 04:05 AM
basically every millenial bball fans today

most millennials are in their 30s and know who MJ is and what he did

Axe
07-07-2020, 04:34 AM
most millennials are in their 30s and know who MJ is and what he did
Yet there are some so-called basketball fans in this thread who are jealous of him because he played in such a watered-down era. :lol

Phoenix
07-07-2020, 05:25 AM
He was born in 94, so I can assume he doesnt know much about that decade in general. Does he know that Hakeem won back to back? Is he aware of the 92 Dream Team? Does he know who David Robinson is? Does he know that Charles Barkley, that bald fat guy on TNT with the southern drawl, was in the 93 finals? Push it a few years ahead to 2000. Does he know Shaq and Kobe threepeated( or Kobe and Shaq per TPOL :lol)?

How far is that rabbit hole, exactly?

Kblaze8855
07-07-2020, 05:46 AM
Being like 3 when all that ended.....I get it. If hes not on the internet fighting about it or watching many shows like First take he probably doesnt know much about those days you dont see on a commercial or something. Normal people are not like us. The exact number of rings people won and in what order they came isnt normal information to have. You would think young basketball players would have it but every year the rookie quiz comes out for fun and we learn they dont. One of them like....had never heard of Kareem one time. Giannis didnt know Kidd was a good player. He literally had to google his coach who retired just before he got here. Fans dont always care about history.

Phoenix
07-07-2020, 07:00 AM
Didn't some other fairly well known player not know about Hakeem? I get that 25-30 years have passed but it just seems odd that things considered fairly common knowledge by fans aren't widely known by those playing professionally. Like Wilt scoring 100 or Russell winning 11 rings. Yeah it happened 60 years ago. But If you are that entrenched in basketball to the point of being good enough to get paid millions for it, you would think there's some basketball 101 list for players to have some inkling about.

iamgine
07-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Didn't some other fairly well known player not know about Hakeem? I get that 25-30 years have passed but it just seems odd that things considered fairly common knowledge by fans aren't widely known by those playing professionally. Like Wilt scoring 100 or Russell winning 11 rings. Yeah it happened 60 years ago. But If you are that entrenched in basketball to the point of being good enough to get paid millions for it, you would think there's some basketball 101 list for players to have some inkling about.
It's two different things though. I bet if we ask the young golfers, many won't know Tiger Woods' accomplishments. They just know he's a legend who won a lot.

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Lmaoooo

https://media1.tenor.com/images/54e3c4a2cabb273718ce5c10058b7533/tenor.gif?itemid=15366449

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2020, 09:20 AM
" Terry Rozier should be suspended indefinitely until he learns some basic NBA history."

Lmaoo

86Celtics
07-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Being like 3 when all that ended.....I get it. If hes not on the internet fighting about it or watching many shows like First take he probably doesnt know much about those days you dont see on a commercial or something. Normal people are not like us. The exact number of rings people won and in what order they came isnt normal information to have. You would think young basketball players would have it but every year the rookie quiz comes out for fun and we learn they dont. One of them like....had never heard of Kareem one time. Giannis didnt know Kidd was a good player. He literally had to google his coach who retired just before he got here. Fans dont always care about history.

But he isn't a normal person. He is a professional basketball player which means that from a very young age he probably lived and breathed basketball. Unless he's among the minute minority of professional athletes who actually don't enjoy what they're doing, not taking interest in his sport and its history seems completely alien to me. I mean how can you not immerse yourself into the game, its old players and teams when you are supposedly basketball crazy?

Phoenix
07-07-2020, 09:43 AM
It's two different things though. I bet if we ask the young golfers, many won't know Tiger Woods' accomplishments. They just know he's a legend who won a lot.

Tiger is still playing. Anyone who's currently playing should have some general awareness of what hes done. Not every tournament win, but something like 'he won his first masters at 21' seems like fairly basic trivia knowledge. I very casually started watching golf when Tiget came on the scene, and I know that just as random sports trivia.

I would expect anyone coming up in Tennis now to know how many grand slams Federer has. It just seems like.....you should know that? Or am I giving modern athletes too much credit to have some legacy awareness? I guess it separates the pros who are also students of the game, from those who are in the league because they're good enough at basketball.

FKAri
07-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Terry Rozier is a basketball historian when compared to Willie Cauley Stein. Not only did he never watch the NBA, he barely heard of anyone who ever played in it. Go read up on him.

iamgine
07-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Tiger is still playing. Anyone who's currently playing should have some general awareness of what hes done. Not every tournament win, but something like 'he won his first masters at 21' seems like fairly basic trivia knowledge. I very casually started watching golf when Tiget came on the scene, and I know that just as random sports trivia.

I would expect anyone coming up in Tennis now to know how many grand slams Federer has. It just seems like.....you should know that? Or am I giving modern athletes too much credit to have some legacy awareness?

Well if you don't actively search for it time and again, you will forget stuff.

I've watched the Steve Jobs movie and I don't remember what year he left Apple and for what reason. I've known how many wins Wayne Gretzky had but if someone asks me now, I wouldn't have a clue. I know how many Grand Slams Federer won, but I can't recall it right now despite having read it multiple times over the years. Do many people know how many Serena has? I did, but not now.

Phoenix
07-07-2020, 10:40 AM

I've watched the Steve Jobs movie and I don't remember what year he left Apple and for what reason. I've known how many wins Wayne Gretzky had but if someone asks me now, I wouldn't have a clue. I know how many Grand Slams Federer won, but I can't recall it right now despite having read it multiple times over the years. Do many people know how many Serena has? I did, but not now.

:confusedshrug:

I remember playing high school and junior college ball in the 90s, and hearing about some of the exploits of Wilt, Oscar and Dr.J. I knew that Wilt scored 100 in like 1992. I didn't somehow forget that 28 years later. I knew that Oscar was the OG triple double king, and it likely came up in some conversation about MJ or Magic. I didn't actively seek that info nor were the tools immediately at my disposal like nowadays. It just came out in general basketball chit chat on the court. I'm not saying every piece of bball trivia needs to be known. But if you don't know by now that Bill Russell won 11 titles....just as something likely to come up in a random conversation piece.... I can't fathom that.

Again, basketball 101. I'm not expecting you to know how many all star teams Dave Cowens made or the number of 3s Reggie made in his career. And seeing as Rozier is 26 and probably been actively involved in the game for, what, 15 years.... he doesnt have the miles to have forgotten that kind of info if he ever knew about it to forget in the first place. Which is different from you knowing how many grand slams Pete Sampras had back in 2001 but the exact number escapes you now. At one point you knew and forgot. We're talking about a guy who never knew to begin with something that should be pretty common knowledge. Like Wilts 100. You just know. That info is going to find it's way to you even if you dont actively seek it.

In this day and age, social media, just talking ball....I find it impossible that you couldn't stumble into information like MJ 3peated twice. It's out there on every first take/undisputed/ first things first/pardon the interruption/speak for yourself/odd couple talk show out there. It's likely been referenced 1 million times on youtube, or some random video or conversation on 10 different other social media sites. If you're connected to basketball at any remotely serious level, and I would put an nba player in that category, there are certain historical milestones that you'd have to actively avoid to claim ignorance of. Like living under a rock avoidance.

iamgine
07-07-2020, 12:18 PM
:confusedshrug:

I remember playing high school and junior college ball in the 90s, and hearing about some of the exploits of Wilt, Oscar and Dr.J. I knew that Wilt scored 100 in like 1992. I didn't somehow forget that 28 years later. I knew that Oscar was the OG triple double king, and it likely came up in some conversation about MJ or Magic. I didn't actively seek that info nor were the tools immediately at my disposal like nowadays. It just came out in general basketball chit chat on the court. I'm not saying every piece of bball trivia needs to be known. But if you don't know by now that Bill Russell won 11 titles....just as something likely to come up in a random conversation piece.... I can't fathom that.

Again, basketball 101. I'm not expecting you to know how many all star teams Dave Cowens made or the number of 3s Reggie made in his career. And seeing as Rozier is 26 and probably been actively involved in the game for, what, 15 years.... he doesnt have the miles to have forgotten that kind of info if he ever knew about it to forget in the first place. Which is different from you knowing how many grand slams Pete Sampras had back in 2001 but the exact number escapes you now. At one point you knew and forgot. We're talking about a guy who never knew to begin with something that should be pretty common knowledge. Like Wilts 100. You just know. That info is going to find it's way to you even if you dont actively seek it.

In this day and age, social media, just talking ball....I find it impossible that you couldn't stumble into information like MJ 3peated twice. It's out there on every first take/undisputed/ first things first/pardon the interruption/speak for yourself/odd couple talk show out there. It's likely been referenced 1 million times on youtube, or some random video or conversation on 10 different other social media sites. If you're connected to basketball at any remotely serious level, and I would put an nba player in that category, there are certain historical milestones that you'd have to actively avoid to claim ignorance of. Like living under a rock avoidance.

I dunno, I can see how people can easily forget ever hearing stuff. I'm sure many have forgotten how many grand slams Serena won. I know I do, despite I must have heard or read it somewhere before. And she's very recent. What we thought of common knowledge may not be that common to others. Many people are not into that 'magic's better than bird because of 5 titles' chit chat. They're more like 'Magic was great, did you see his move? It's like this...'.

Phoenix
07-07-2020, 12:33 PM
I dunno, I can see how people can easily forget ever hearing stuff. I'm sure many have forgotten how many grand slams Serena won. I know I do, despite I must have heard or read it somewhere before. And she's very recent. What we thought of common knowledge may not be that common to others. Many people are not into that 'magic's better than bird because of 5 titles' chit chat. They're more like 'Magic was great, did you see his move? It's like this...'.

But that's just it though. Whether Serena won 19 or 18 or 22 grand slams(and I havent looked it up but I imagine it's one of those totals or thereabouts). I wouldnt expect the common person to carry around that level of detail. Maybe the dedicated tennis pro who holds onto information if they have any desire to acquire it. Two 3peats though ....its winning 3 titles twice in a row. If that's something you ever knew, it's pretty easy to just rationalize it that way. Two 3peats. It's a self contained fact.

In 20 years someone may ask me how many scoring titles MJ won. My 60 year old self may say uhhhh...9 or10 I think? 11? The exact number may become blurred but I'll be in the ballpark. I dont know.....it must be the circles I hung around while talking about that stuff or just my personal manner of researching and tracking common facts of a sport I have a lifelong interest in. I guess I just expected more from someone at the NBA level, especially when you're working for the guy. Like, when Lonzo Ball came into the league a few years ago, I'd be surprised if he had no clue that Magic won 5 rings in the 80s. Just seems like required knowledge at the base level and not something I'd probably admit to not having a clue about.

iamgine
07-07-2020, 12:52 PM
But that's just it though. Whether Serena won 19 or 18 or 22 grand slams(and I havent looked it up but I imagine it's one of those totals or thereabouts). I wouldnt expect the common person to carry around that level of detail. Maybe the dedicated tennis pro who holds onto information if they have any desire to acquire it. Two 3peats though ....its winning 3 titles twice in a row. If that's something you ever knew, it's pretty easy to just rationalize it that way. Two 3peats. It's a self contained fact.

In 20 years someone may ask me how many scoring titles MJ won. My 60 year old self may say uhhhh...9 or10 I think? 11? The exact number may become blurred but I'll be in the ballpark. I dont know.....it must be the circles I hung around while talking about that stuff or just my personal manner of researching and tracking common facts of a sport I have a lifelong interest in. I guess I just expected more from someone at the NBA level, especially when you're working for the guy. Like, when Lonzo Ball came into the league a few years ago, I'd be surprised if he had no clue that Magic won 5 rings in the 80s. Just seems like required knowledge at the base level and not something I'd probably admit to not having a clue about.
I think we're just projecting ourselves into their lives. These players don't need these knowledge to do their job. If they aren't interested in basketball players history, why would they talk about that stuff or even remembers it? Maybe he's more interested in the moves so he can tell you in detail how MJ did his fadeaways but not his scoring titles. I don't even have a ballpark on how many Serena won despite its recency.

Phoenix
07-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Possibly. I'm not saying its required knowledge. I'm just saying it seems like enough of a generally known basketball factoid to raise an eyebrow.

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2020, 01:41 PM

those are all plausible things for casual sports fans.

heck, some might not know MJ three peated twice, but an american sports fan as casual as could be, probably would know..

but for an NBA PLAYER to not know, is kinda funny...

you just figured he'd heard. somewhere. somehow. on accident.

im not saying he should know. its just funny he doesnt. if not odd, even.

you play a profession at the highest level and the assumed greatest of it has been in media's face for 3 decades now.

and is also the owner of your team btw, lol.

L.Kizzle
07-07-2020, 01:42 PM
I remember hearing that about Giannis. But to be fair to Giannis, he didn't start playing basketball until 2011. But another thing about Giannis, he researched that about Kidd. So he found out before he got there.
Terry didn't know until he watched a 2020 documentary.

I remember when Dwight Howard first came to Houston and Jack Sikma was a assistant coach here or something, he didn't know who Jack Sikma was. That's not on a level of not knowing the Bulls 3-Peated tho.

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2020, 01:46 PM
I remember hearing that about Giannis. But to be fair to Giannis, he didn't start playing basketball until 2011. But another thing about Giannis, he researched that about Kidd. So he found out before he got there.
Terry didn't know until he watched a 2020 documentary.

I remember when Dwight Howard first came to Houston and Jack Sikma was a assistant coach here or something, he didn't know who Jack Sikma was. That's not on a level of not knowing the Bulls 3-Peated tho.

im pretty sure almost no current baller knows who jack sikma is.

granted dwight came to Houston 7 years ago, but it wasnt much different then.

DoctorP
07-07-2020, 01:48 PM
it doesn't surprise me.

L.Kizzle
07-07-2020, 01:55 PM
I think we're just projecting ourselves into their lives. These players don't need these knowledge to do their job. If they aren't interested in basketball players history, why would they talk about that stuff or even remembers it? Maybe he's more interested in the moves so he can tell you in detail how MJ did his fadeaways but not his scoring titles. I don't even have a ballpark on how many Serena won despite its recency.

But it's Michael Jordan tho. MJ. It's not like someone not knowing what year JoJo White won his Finals MVP.
Not only that, your boss. Your boss is Michael Jordan and you didn't know that until the Last Dance documentary. I wonder does he even know who Michael Jordan is ... literally. Like does he know who his boss is, lol.

Imagine some artist getting Quincy Jones to produce their album. Than like 2 months after the album is out, finding out Quincy Jones produced Thriller for Michael Jackson because they watched the Quincy documentary on Netflix.

L.Kizzle
07-07-2020, 02:05 PM
im pretty sure almost no current baller knows who jack sikma is.

granted dwight came to Houston 7 years ago, but it wasnt much different then.
That's actually quit sad to me. He's a Hal of Fame center from the Magic-Bird-Jordan era.

Should the NBA offer basketball History classes or something these young guys should learn?

Imagine being drafted by the Philly Sixers. Julius Erving just comes by to see the team because he's the Doctor and he can do that.
The young rookie doesn't even notice him, he just sees some old guy walking around the offices. The rookie passes him about 4 times and finally stops and introduces himself.

Rookie, "Hey, I'm (so and so), I just got drafted by the Sixers."
Doc replies, "I heard, I'm Julius Erving"
Rookie, "Hello Julius, so are you on the coaching staff or something. What do you do here ... ?"
Doc replies shocked, "Do? I don't do anything I'm the Doctor"
Rookie, "Oh, you're the team doctor, well nice to meet you!"

Rookie walks off as Julius looks on puzzled ...

Roundball_Rock
07-07-2020, 05:07 PM
It isn't surprising. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you care about the history of the profession. Look at the "all-time" lists NBA players put out there. It is basically 21st century players plus MJ.

Manny98
07-07-2020, 05:23 PM
These are the same people that call MJ the GOAT

Just goes to show how irrelevant current players opinions are when it comes to talking about players from the past

BasedTom
07-07-2020, 07:03 PM
He was born in 94, so I can assume he doesnt know much about that decade in general. Does he know that Hakeem won back to back? Is he aware of the 92 Dream Team? Does he know who David Robinson is? Does he know that Charles Barkley, that bald fat guy on TNT with the southern drawl, was in the 93 finals? Push it a few years ahead to 2000. Does he know Shaq and Kobe threepeated( or Kobe and Shaq per TPOL :lol)?

How far is that rabbit hole, exactly?

I was born in 93 and know people born in 95,96,97 who know the basics of MJ's resume...and a good number aren't even american

It's only relatively recently and especially with social media that people expect pro athletes to be intelligent and well informed in addition to being role models for the kids. For ages the stereotype was that the jocks were the dumbest people in every HS movie. Rozier probably falls into that category

tpols
07-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Everybody during that run said rozier should replace kyrie... dude turned out to be a total bum like many of us said.

he cant shoot and is just wild and stupid.

Real Men Wear Green
07-07-2020, 07:49 PM
But he isn't a normal person. He is a professional basketball player which means that from a very young age he probably lived and breathed basketball. Unless he's among the minute minority of professional athletes who actually don't enjoy what they're doing, not taking interest in his sport and its history seems completely alien to me. I mean how can you not immerse yourself into the game, its old players and teams when you are supposedly basketball crazy?

If you spend an hour working on your jumper you will improve your jumper. You will not know what year the NBA brought in the three. That's why you want your kids to play basketball more than to watch it.

Shooter
07-07-2020, 08:27 PM
Ahhhh, the 90s Chronicles = the great mj vs. starks rivslries

86Celtics
07-08-2020, 02:56 AM
If you spend an hour working on your jumper you will improve your jumper. You will not know what year the NBA brought in the three. That's why you want your kids to play basketball more than to watch it.

Nothing is stopping them from doing both.

Uncle Drew
07-08-2020, 03:01 AM
Everybody during that run said rozier should replace kyrie... dude turned out to be a total bum like many of us said.

he cant shoot and is just wild and stupid.

Yet they performed better than they ever would have with Kyrie.

Real Men Wear Green
07-08-2020, 05:54 AM
Nothing is stopping them from doing both.

There's also nothing wrong with having other interests.

Roundball_Rock
07-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Yet they performed better than they ever would have with Kyrie.

Yup. :lol

SilverMamba
07-08-2020, 05:09 PM
How is he an NBA player and doesn't know that?!?!

Uncle Drew
07-08-2020, 05:43 PM

I am certain he knows he is an NBA player.

Axe
07-08-2020, 08:05 PM
He probably didn't care that much about the history of the league back then.