PDA

View Full Version : These are the 16 top scoring second options in the NBA in 2001.

Kblaze8855
07-08-2020, 10:03 AM
Forgive me if someone is missing. Its just at a glance.

Antione Walker
Peja
Glenn Robinson
Michael Finley
Cuttino Mobley
Reggie
Sprewell
Vanexel
David Wesley
Kidd(He, Marion, and Robinson all at about 17 a game)
Michael Dickerson
Anthony Mason
Terrell Brandon
Andre Miller
Rashard Lewis
Derek Anderson

They ranged from a low of about about 14ppg to a high of 23 for Antione Walker.

So...

How annoying must it have been facing the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe both doing 29 a game(28.7 and 28.5)?

With the lower scores and dogfights to get to 90 most of the time you have two guys giving you a comfortable 60 most nights. Yea that 3rd option on down might be in your favor but that top of the roster firepower must have been depressing. Shaq and Kobe just ganging up on the guys with normal running mates. I dont know how dominant they are right now lacking depth compared to some teams we have but relative to era....thats a nightmare.

That said....

The Bucks having Ray, Glenn, and Sam was a huge wasted opportunity considering what their competition was working with.

Kblaze8855
07-08-2020, 10:20 AM
My bad Andre Miller wasnt #2 at 15 a game. I figured Big Z was leading but he was still hurt. Miller was leading scorer and Weatherspoon was second with 11 a game and Z played only 24 games.

eliteballer
07-08-2020, 07:30 PM
This just reminds about how much epic ball we missed in the East because Grant Hill and Zo suffered basically career-ending ailments.

NBAGOAT
07-08-2020, 07:34 PM
bucks choked in the conference finals but their defense was shit and cassell and big dog arent really elite. you're right that a lot of guys were carrying a team by themselves when it came to scoring. It sucks for their chances of winning but is fun to watch. Beal might be the only star in that situation right now but his team isnt even close to .500

Phoenix
07-08-2020, 07:36 PM
That top heavy firepower took a lot of pressure off the role players. All you needed was the other 10 guys on the roster to score a collective 40 and they were good most nights.

FireDavidKahn
07-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Weak era.

Shooter
07-08-2020, 09:04 PM
Yikes. Thank god the league got thick in 2004

Smoke117
07-08-2020, 10:20 PM
Forgive me if someone is missing. Its just at a glance.

Antione Walker
Peja
Glenn Robinson
Michael Finley
Cuttino Mobley
Reggie
Sprewell
Vanexel
David Wesley
Kidd(He, Marion, and Robinson all at about 17 a game)
Michael Dickerson
Anthony Mason
Terrell Brandon
Andre Miller
Rashard Lewis
Derek Anderson

They ranged from a low of about about 14ppg to a high of 23 for Antione Walker.

So...

How annoying must it have been facing the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe both doing 29 a game(28.7 and 28.5)?

With the lower scores and dogfights to get to 90 most of the time you have two guys giving you a comfortable 60 most nights. Yea that 3rd option on down might be in your favor but that top of the roster firepower must have been depressing. Shaq and Kobe just ganging up on the guys with normal running mates. I dont know how dominant they are right now lacking depth compared to some teams we have but relative to era....thats a nightmare.

That said....

The Bucks having Ray, Glenn, and Sam was a huge wasted opportunity considering what their competition was working with.

Not really a wasted opportunity considering they got screwed over vs the Sixers.

Horatio33
07-09-2020, 02:21 AM
bucks choked in the conference finals but their defense was shit and cassell and big dog arent really elite. you're right that a lot of guys were carrying a team by themselves when it came to scoring. It sucks for their chances of winning but is fun to watch. Beal might be the only star in that situation right now but his team isnt even close to .500

Bucks were cheated in the conference finals. Some of the refereeing in those games was terrible. Everyone bangs on about 2002 Lakers Kings being biased but that Bucks Sixer's series was right there.

Kblaze8855
07-09-2020, 05:28 AM
Yes yes the refs. The refs screwed ______ is the excuse that never dies. But let me ask this....

Did the refs make them a .500 team the other 2 years they were all on a star level in a league that only had maybe 3-4 other teams with that firepower? They were 25/28/30 with Sam being the old one...with a 6th man of the year contender on the bench. By 02 they had the big 3 and Tim Thomas and Michael Redd both producing off the bench.

They had injuries one year but one season their top 4 players played 82, 81, 81, and 80 games....and they made the playoffs by a single jumper. A team led by Darrell Armstrong that had only ONE other player start 60 games finished one shot from knocking them out of the playoffs on the second to last day of the season. Thats how Doc Rivers won his first coach of the year. A team with Ray, Sam, and Big dog all in their primes with more off the bench than most was one shot better over a full season than Darrell Armstrong, Bo Outlaw, and Tariq Abdul Wahad.

Team just wasnt as good as it should have been.

oldtimer28
07-09-2020, 05:55 AM
This just reminds about how much epic ball we missed in the East because Grant Hill and Zo suffered basically career-ending ailments.
Yes and Penny

Reggie43
07-09-2020, 06:16 AM
Did my research on that 2001 series months ago when I was talking to someone here, what basically happened was that the Sixers were the 4th best team in the league at drawing fouls/fta while giving up the least fts to opponents (1st whole nba) in the regular season. Compare that to the Bucks that was the 25th best team at drawing fouls while being the 24th team that gave up most fta to opponents in the regular season which pretty much explains the foul discrepancy between the two teams when they met in the playoffs if you base on what they did in the regular season.

Regular season whole nba

Sixers fta 27.8
gave up 20.2

Bucks fta 22.9
gave up 26.7

Actual Playoff series

Sixers fta 26.7
Bucks fta 17.1

Also did their head to head series in the regular season before but too lazy to do that again.

Basically an agressive offense with a disciplined defense versus a jumpshooting team with bad defense.

HoopsNY
07-09-2020, 08:29 AM

Grant Hill, Alonzo Mourning, and Penny Hardaway. Those 3 were excellent stars.

Whoah10115
07-09-2020, 08:55 AM
The Bucks team were soft, ultimately. Not game style or whatever, but they just never got it together.

Smoke117
07-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Yes yes the refs. The refs screwed ______ is the excuse that never dies. But let me ask this....

Did the refs make them a .500 team the other 2 years they were all on a star level in a league that only had maybe 3-4 other teams with that firepower? They were 25/28/30 with Sam being the old one...with a 6th man of the year contender on the bench. By 02 they had the big 3 and Tim Thomas and Michael Redd both producing off the bench.

They had injuries one year but one season their top 4 players played 82, 81, 81, and 80 games....and they made the playoffs by a single jumper. A team led by Darrell Armstrong that had only ONE other player start 60 games finished one shot from knocking them out of the playoffs on the second to last day of the season. Thats how Doc Rivers won his first coach of the year. A team with Ray, Sam, and Big dog all in their primes with more off the bench than most was one shot better over a full season than Darrell Armstrong, Bo Outlaw, and Tariq Abdul Wahad.

Team just wasnt as good as it should have been.

Either way, you are overrating the Bucks "big three". Ray Allen was a great player as we all know and I've always liked Cassell, but Glenn Robinson was as overrated as overrated comes. He was just a high volume scorer who never was efficient. Neither gave Allen much help in the playoffs. Through the 2001 playoffs Ray Allen had a +25.0 on/off while Robinson and Cassell had a -9.7 and -7.7.

tpols
07-09-2020, 05:51 PM
In the 2001 playoffs, Jalen Rose averaged 18 ppg on 88 ORTG. Absolutely dreadful.

**** that... blaze doesnt accept umbrella efficiency let's give him FG%. 38%.

Reggie Miller dropped 31 ppg on 46% FG.

I'm waiting for the fellas to come around and say he was the 2nd option like OP. Out back.

Gotterdammerung
07-09-2020, 06:02 PM
For a New York Minute, I thought this was a list of top scoring options, and saw Anthony Mason's name.

:oldlol:

Whoah10115
07-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Either way, you are overrating the Bucks "big three". Ray Allen was a great player as we all know and I've always liked Cassell, but Glenn Robinson was as overrated as overrated comes. He was just a high volume scorer who never was efficient. Neither gave Allen much help in the playoffs. Through the 2001 playoffs Ray Allen had a +25.0 on/off while Robinson and Cassell had a -9.7 and -7.7.

I don't know how highly rated Robinson was, apart from coming into the league. He made two all-star appearances, which is ok. He was certainly a good player. His efficiency, as far as points to shot attempts, really dropped from his fourth season on, and he wasn't a scorer to make others better. He was a bigger and clearly lesser version of Carmelo. On a different team, he'd have been more important. But he took shots away from the best player, and didn't give enough beyond. But with a big man or a team run by Jason Kidd, he'd have been much better.