Round Mound
07-13-2020, 02:40 AM
:bowdown:

KD7
07-13-2020, 06:16 AM
Meh...

Bronbron23
07-13-2020, 06:57 PM
30 years later and his game still seems more advanced than this generation of players. He did shit routinely that you still dont see guys do.

3ball
07-13-2020, 10:19 PM
30 years later and his game still seems more advanced than this generation of players. He did shit routinely that you still dont see guys do.

he also ate steak and potatoes before every game

that's like.... the worst from what I've heard... his physiology is obviously different and next level, but still... seems suboptimal

fish or eggs give are supposed to give you better immediate energy

ClipperRevival
07-13-2020, 10:46 PM
Agree with OP, the single best MJ highlight video i have ever seen. Quite a few plays i've never seen before. MJ was part alien.

97 bulls
07-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Wow. Jordan's athleticism and ability was just amazing.

Round Mound
07-14-2020, 01:12 AM
There where leapers and gliders. Jordan was both but the thing that separated him most was the fact that he could hang in the air for a longer time than everyone else before or since.

3ball
07-14-2020, 01:22 AM
some of the highlights are in legit HD and apparently, the NBA has been keeping some of those angles in the attic somewhere

I agree that it's the best I've seen... it's crazy to see Michael Jordan in legit HD with modern angles - he looks more goat than ever to me.. jaw-dropping stuff

Axe
07-14-2020, 02:07 AM
Baldan, the first and only fmvp from a 70-win team...

Bronbron23
07-14-2020, 04:28 PM
he also ate steak and potatoes before every game

that's like.... the worst from what I've heard... his physiology is obviously different and next level, but still... seems suboptimal

fish or eggs give are supposed to give you better immediate energy

yeah i dought the late night card games and 2 a day golf rounds and whatever helped either. Dude was a machine

3ball
07-14-2020, 08:31 PM
Honestly, you haven't watched this mix unless it's at slower speed (I recommend 25%)

Wowsers. Okay going to ball

Axe
07-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Honestly, you haven't watched this mix unless it's at slower speed (I recommend 25%)

The only thing you're good at is wearing his pajamas all day long

ClipperRevival
07-14-2020, 10:35 PM

Full disclosure bro, your gifs of MJ on this board back in the days truly made me appreciate MJs greatness. One honestly can't appreciate his greatness unless if you slow it down. Cheers bro!

:cheers:

guy
07-14-2020, 11:07 PM
The block at around 10:30 literally might be the greatest block ever. He tries to block that dude with his right and flies by him as the dude fakes him out and as Jordan is coming down he turns his body around blocks the guy’s actual shot attempt with his left. :wtf: Just absolutely insane.

ClipperRevival
07-14-2020, 11:50 PM
The block at around 10:30 literally might be the greatest block ever. He tries to block that dude with his right and flies by him as the dude fakes him out and as Jordan is coming down he turns his body around blocks the guy’s actual shot attempt with his left. :wtf: Just absolutely insane.

Here's a video about that block.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTTYHMa03E

Phoenix
07-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Not to undermine the point being made, but he did catch alot of forearm there as he was swiping upwards. Still incredible display of athleticism to turn his body in-air on the fly.

3ball
07-15-2020, 08:00 AM
The NBA's lebron video is all open dunks - it's just one in-stride layup or dunk after another in an open paint

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQk1Od5kUw

Night and day... And a sad reflection of today's watered down defensive setups (wide open paint/zero resistance at the rim)... :facepalm:

I couldn't get through even half of it - there were no contests at the rim!... It's a lot of dribbling and lumbering around, but weak ball-handling skill compared to Jordan, who sifted through crowded traffic with the most advanced footwork, hop-steps, quickness and airtime.. No comparison

Axe
07-15-2020, 08:11 AM
^^You're a total moron for bringing him up in this thread. :facepalm

3ball
07-15-2020, 08:15 AM
^^You're a total moron for bringing him up in this thread. :facepalm

You just hate the truth - compare the 2 videos... It's not close

i WANT people to compare especially with some modern angles and resolution of the MJ footage... The difference is clear and it's worth noting

Today's spaced-out game and open paints is clearly the beginner format of the game.. unwatchable to me because great plays are available every possession... Otoh, previous eras played a more difficult format, so you had to WAIT for great plays like soccer or baseball... So you could appreciate it more... No instant gratification needed like today's fans require on every play lol... Silver is a joke

guy
07-15-2020, 08:24 AM
Not to undermine the point being made, but he did catch alot of forearm there as he was swiping upwards. Still incredible display of athleticism to turn his body in-air on the fly.

You’re right. It was too fast in the montage for me to tell, but the video ClipperRevival posted clearly shows it was a foul. Like you said though, still an incredible display of athleticism, but explains why this isn’t one of the most played highlights of his career like you would think.

Semi-off topic, I read once someone describing a Bill Russell block where he blocked a guy’s shot with one hand and it came right back to the shooter’s hand and he immediately shot it again and as Russell was coming down from his jump for his initial block he blocked it again with his other hand. No video, so who knows how accurate, but another one of those moves that seems to defy science so pretty insane if true.

Axe
07-15-2020, 08:27 AM
You just hate the truth - compare the 2 videos... It's not close

i WANT people to compare especially with some modern angles and resolution of the MJ footage... The difference is clear and it's worth noting

Today's spaced-out game and open paints is clearly the beginner format of the game.. unwatchable to me because great plays are available every possession... Otoh, previous eras played a more difficult format, so you had to WAIT for great plays like soccer or baseball... So you could appreciate it more... No instant gratification needed like today's fans require on every play lol... Silver is a joke
Yeah but cut the crap out. It's purely unnecessary unless you're insecure about it.

Bronbron23
07-15-2020, 08:50 AM

Its insane hang time and body control but it was a foul so it takes away from it a bit

Bronbron23
07-15-2020, 08:54 AM
The NBA's lebron video is all open dunks - it's just one in-stride layup or dunk after another in an open paint

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQk1Od5kUw

Night and day... And a sad reflection of today's watered down defensive setups (wide open paint/zero resistance at the rim)... :facepalm:

I couldn't get through even half of it - there were no contests at the rim!... It's a lot of dribbling and lumbering around, but weak ball-handling skill compared to Jordan, who sifted through crowded traffic with the most advanced footwork, hop-steps, quickness and airtime.. No comparison

i dont know. There are some pretty good lebron highlight videos with some pretty sick plays. I think the difference is mj just has so many. He has some individual games with as many highlights as most people have in half a season.

3ball
07-15-2020, 01:46 PM
i dont know. There are some pretty good lebron highlight videos with some pretty sick plays. I think the difference is mj just has so many. He has some individual games with as many highlights as most people have in half a season.

everyone has great plays - but lebron's plays (and today's players) are on OPEN PAINTS... They get monstrous dunks on open rims - no one there - Lebron's highlight video clearly shows this, which is why I posted it itt..

Of course Lebron has a few posters over bigs, but he had a wide open run-up each time - the lane was open... it's like the playground game of "chicken", where one defender stands under the rim as everyone clears the lane so you can run up and try to dunk on him..

And aside from the mostly open dunks, Lebron has very few other great scoring shots, like the infinite dipsy-doo's, hangtime reverse layups, or highly contested jumpers that MJ had... It's not entirely Lebron's fault (although he's obviously a vastly inferior shot-maker than MJ) because today's open lane/beginner format allows an in-stride layup on nearly every play.. There's less paint defenders so there's less need for the wild diversity of shot-making seen in the MJ video.. But Lebron's inferior shot-making ability is still evident - heck, the stats show that he avoids contested jumpers (94% are open according to NBA.com, and superior pure scorers like KD, Kawhi and Harden take 3 to 6 times as many)

Ultimately, today's beginner format (hands-off and open paint) allows a great play on nearly every possession.. In-stride layups on an open paint are the norm, whereas it used to be HARD to get an in-stride layup in the halfcourt... Previous eras played a more difficult format (packed paint), so you had to WAIT for great plays like soccer or baseball... This allowed you to appreciate it more... No instant gratification needed like today's fans require on every play lol... Silver is a joke for diluting the game to an open paint format that yields layups and dunks on every play

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-15-2020, 02:01 PM
Saw this a day or two after it dropped. Sick mixtape and one with Jordan's most rare plays. All in high quality too.

Its not his BEST one though. Artistry I & II, "Voyager" and "Mastery" are all great montages with more range and nuance. Jordan's technical skill and ability are on full display in these videos.

3ball
07-15-2020, 02:21 PM
Jordan's technical skill and ability are on full display in these videos.

Lebron's technical skill = driving down open paints for dunks and layups.... And dribbling until he gets an assist (only occasionally getting a "Bird/MJ" assist, aka quickly)

Test me how I'm wrong - that's what I see when I watch a lebron highlight video... It simply doesn't compare...

Watch a lebron video.... Then Jordan... Only someone with the weakest hoops eye or understanding could say Lebron's is on par with Jordan's

Btw if you watch the Jordan video first, you won't finish the lebron vid

Dr Hawk
07-15-2020, 02:47 PM
He was in another level. This video is amazing. How quick, fluid, energetic, great he was.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Lebron's technical skill = driving down open paints for dunks and layups.... And dribbling until he gets an assist (only occasionally getting a "Bird/MJ" assist, aka quickly)

Test me how I'm wrong - that's what I see when I watch a lebron highlight video... It simply doesn't compare...

Watch a lebron video.... Then Jordan... Only someone with the weakest hoops eye or understanding could say Lebron's is on par with Jordan's

Btw if you watch the Jordan video first, you won't finish the lebron vid

Don't need to.

I have Jordan ahead of Bron comfortably. For his game and the accomplishments.

Round Mound
07-15-2020, 05:03 PM

The dude could literally float in the air :bowdown:

Vragrant
07-16-2020, 12:11 AM
Wow. Jordan's athleticism and ability was just amazing.

Yup, in addition to the supernatural raw athleticism, what gets me is his balance and fine motor control. How he is able to do those hanging reverse layups with his left hand
as well as his right? Also how can a 6'6" man get so low to the ground on his dribble? Its uncanny.

oldtimer28
07-16-2020, 05:33 AM
Yup, in addition to the supernatural raw athleticism, what gets me is his balance and fine motor control. How he is able to do those hanging reverse layups with his left hand
as well as his right? Also how can a 6'6" man get so low to the ground on his dribble? Its uncanny.

Its insane hang time and body control but it was a foul so it takes away from it a bit

Agree. Egregious no call.

Still athletic, but hmmmmm

97 bulls
07-16-2020, 09:13 AM
I still think the play where Jordan snatches that basketball, while running full speed with one hand out of thin air is the best play I've ever seen. He grabbed that ball like a damn baseball and glove.

OldSchoolBBall
07-17-2020, 12:30 AM
I still think the play where Jordan snatches that basketball, while running full speed with one hand out of thin air is the best play I've ever seen. He grabbed that ball like a damn baseball and glove.

Against the Hawks in the '93 playoffs? Yeah, one of the sickest plays ever. He's running full speed, Pippen passes the ball from out of bounds on the baseline, and MJ catches it in mid-air with one hand and is able to palm it and grip it well enough to then FAKE A PASS with it before he lands from his jump, and then goes right into a pull-up jumper. It's like he had velcro on his hands. I heard someone once say that not only were MJ's hands enormous, they were STRONG. Both of those things help.

97 bulls
07-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Against the Hawks in the '93 playoffs? Yeah, one of the sickest plays ever. He's running full speed, Pippen passes the ball from out of bounds on the baseline, and MJ catches it in mid-air with one hand and is able to palm it and grip it well enough to then FAKE A PASS with it before he lands from his jump, and then goes right into a pull-up jumper. It's like he had velcro on his hands. I heard someone once say that not only were MJ's hands enormous, they were STRONG. Both of those things help.

Exactly. Running full speed. It's just crazy. I've never seen anything like it.

insidious301
07-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Thank you for posting that OP. Jordan's game looks modern even now.

Phoenix
07-17-2020, 12:21 PM
https://youtu.be/HG0NoJDJHHc

Phoenix
07-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Thank you for posting that OP. Jordan's game looks modern even now.

His handles are functional but don't have the and-1 aesthetic you associate with some of the more modern guards( Kobe for example had a more modern handle) but everything else, yeah. He still has the best layup package I've ever seen, especially over the span of his career. Kyrie has some crazy layups as an under the rim finisher. Rose was really nice pre-injury, and prime Wade. So much of MJs stuff though is just improvised in-air, weaving around flailing arms protecting the rim, and hard to duplicate. Hell, the crazy inside-out double clutch vs the Nets would be hard even for him to duplicate if he tried to do it again.

guy
07-17-2020, 12:45 PM
https://youtu.be/HG0NoJDJHHc

Incredible.

guy
07-17-2020, 12:51 PM
His handles are functional but don't have the and-1 aesthetic you associate with some of the more modern guards( Kobe for example had a more modern handle) but everything else, yeah. He still has the best layup package I've ever seen, especially over the span of his career. Kyrie has some crazy layups as an under the rim finisher. Rose was really nice pre-injury, and prime Wade. So much of MJs stuff though is just improvised in-air, weaving around flailing arms protecting the rim, and hard to duplicate. Hell, the crazy inside-out double clutch vs the Nets would be hard even for him to duplicate if he tried to do it again.

In terms of in-air body control, the only player I think that was on his level was Derrick Rose pre-injury. Its part of the reason Rose didn't get to the foul line more often, cause it was so much easier to avoid contact mid-air.

For Jordan's reverse layup package, does anyone come even close? I don't think so. Obviously there's going to be more highlights of him then anyone else before him, and its not like he did that stuff every single game. But even if you look at guys after him, like Kobe, T-Mac, Vince, Wade, or Lebron who were compared to Jordan the most, they don't have anywhere near the same number of reverse layup highlights. Dunks? yes. But the reverse layups, no.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-17-2020, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ftlm3XCU0&t=1048s

Here's one of the montages I was talking about. If you enjoyed that mix you will like this one too.

Phoenix
07-17-2020, 01:17 PM
In terms of in-air body control, the only player I think that was on his level was Derrick Rose pre-injury. Its part of the reason Rose didn't get to the foul line more often, cause it was so much easier to avoid contact mid-air.

For Jordan's reverse layup package, does anyone come even close? I don't think so. Obviously there's going to be more highlights of him then anyone else before him, and its not like he did that stuff every single game. But even if you look at guys after him, like Kobe, T-Mac, Vince, Wade, or Lebron who were compared to Jordan the most, they don't have anywhere near the same number of reverse layup highlights. Dunks? yes. But the reverse layups, no.

Yeah, he has highlight vids out there of just his reverse layups. Not just the volume but the aesthetics, the distances taken off from, the hanging in the air while the defender was on the way down....it was just a different animal.

Vragrant
07-18-2020, 09:35 PM

MJ in regards to the dribble is completely unique in that he didn't NEED an And-1 type handle, even considering the uber athletic wings that played after him. He arguably has the quickest first step ever(definately for a 2guard), and on a 6'6" frame. You combine that with his hands and intelligence for reading defenses, he really only needed 1 or 2 dribbles to get to where he wanted to go, and that was enough usually.

Probably why he's the GOAT scorer, his game was just so economical. Durant is the only one who comes close in terms of economy of motion.

Vragrant
07-18-2020, 09:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ftlm3XCU0&t=1048s

Here's one of the montages I was talking about. If you enjoyed that mix you will like this one too.

This is amazing:applause:

3ball
07-18-2020, 10:12 PM

I remember anticipating the first Jordan and Grant Hill matchup because I wanted to see Jordan stand next to him... So I could compare

It was immediately apparent before they even started playing that Jordan could just do so many more things than Grant - the hangtime shots, the hangtime JUMPERS, the pure scoring ability, the post game, the fadewaway, the footwork, the jumpshooting prowess.

That's how Jordan would look next to Durant - you would instantly realize that MJ could do so many things that Durant couldn't - Jordan had far more power attacking the rim and could overpower defenders at the rim in a way that Durant can't.. Jordan can score quickly from spots and angles that Durant can't.. MJ could hang in the air and outlast defenders.. And Durant has great accuracy on his jumper, but he can't force a jumper down your throat against physical defense like MJ could repeatedly - he doesn't have MJ's elevation or physicality to get off good looks when someone is in his chest... So you would immediately know that Durant doesn't matchup to Jordan the same way Grant Hill didn't when he first stood next to Jordan.

Jordan simply had everything... And more.. heck, he had the greatest drop-step for a non-big... Ever.. the stuff he did off a drop-step was legendary (switch-hands shot, or other shots (https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-13-2015/LJ8raP.gif))

Phoenix
07-19-2020, 03:29 AM
MJ in regards to the dribble is completely unique in that he didn't NEED an And-1 type handle, even considering the uber athletic wings that played after him. He arguably has the quickest first step ever(definately for a 2guard), and on a 6'6" frame. You combine that with his hands and intelligence for reading defenses, he really only needed 1 or 2 dribbles to get to where he wanted to go, and that was enough usually.

Probably why he's the GOAT scorer, his game was just so economical. Durant is the only one who comes close in terms of economy of motion.

The comment I replied to was about how modern his game looked. I said his handles didnt have that 'modern' aesthetic( not that they look ancient), I didn't argue they were ineffective or not a by-product of his overall game being one of little wasted movement( the economy of motion you mention). MJ applied alot more shoulder and head shimmys to get the defender to commit and then he goes the opposite direction from where their momentum takes them. Compare to someone like Harden, who will use up significant portions of the clock iso-dribbling into a scoring situation. That allows the defense more opportunity to set up in front of him. MJ was more of a quick strike scorer which forced the defense to react more to him then he react to it. Not to forget his ability to score off the ball at high volume which allowed the players around him to be active parts of the offense and not stagnant bystanders. Basketball at its best is a game of movement and flow between all participants on the floor and the ball as a kinetic center-point.