PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst current player you feel can be the best player on a champion?

Kblaze8855
07-14-2020, 01:27 PM
I’m going to try to minimize bringing up my basic issue with the entire concept of having to have some all timer to win when there have been several exceptions that just make it unlikely and not impossible. I mean....if you say your friend can’t **** a 10....but he did? Then you were wrong. Doesn’t matter she was on the rebound, kinda likes dad bods, and both of you were drinking. You don’t get it “But it was a fluke”. Winning is usually unlikely which is why guys as amazing as Kareem and Jordan play a combined 35 years and win 12 rings and we gush over it.

A run of the mill all star supported by 8 borderline stars can win a ring. A dozen things could help. Injury. Hot shooting. Coaching. If you do much as make a conference finals you “can” win off two of the right rolled ankles. The other teams best player does go down in the finals. Magic got hurt in the finals and got swept because of it. The Hawks have a title because Russell got hurt. Durant last year. It happens.

You can “Sucks for you....” your way into a ring by being even close to a title level squad. Anyway....I said I wouldn’t go too far into that didn’t I?

So let’s keep it basic from there.

Who do you think can win it all as a teams best player?

Not who makes it likely with the ideal cast.

Who are the people you can see winning a well deserved “Clearly the best player on this team” finals mvp?

Or if a list is too much work....give me the worst player you can see doing it.

Worst possible best player on a title team.

Pretty simple. Give me the guy.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-14-2020, 01:33 PM
Kawhi, Lebron are the two i can see clearly winning a finals MVP as best player.

Harden, Giannnis, Westbrook, Anthony Davis, Tatum, Paul George, Embiid i can see all having long shots at finals MVP.

Proctor
07-14-2020, 01:36 PM
Lillard
Siakam

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Chris Paul

Don't like putting him "worst" on anything BUT if you throw him onto Boston, for example? I could see them ringing while being their best player.

SouBeachTalents
07-14-2020, 01:43 PM
Say what you want though, of the last 30 or so champs, they've almost ALWAYS had a top 3-5 player leading the charge, the only exceptions being the '04 Pistons & '14 Spurs. Outside of those teams, it's been

Jordan
Hakeem
Duncan
Shaq
Wade
KG
Kobe
Dirk
LeBron
Curry
Durant
Kawhi

A list of players I doubt anyone would dispute is the absolute best that the league has to offer

Kblaze8855
07-14-2020, 01:50 PM
Say what you want though, of the last 30 or so champs, they've almost ALWAYS had a top 3-5 player leading the charge, the only exceptions being the '04 Pistons & '14 Spurs. Outside of those teams, it's been

Jordan
Hakeem
Duncan
Shaq
Wade
KG
Kobe
Dirk
LeBron
Curry
Durant
Kawhi

A list of players I doubt anyone would dispute is the absolute best that the league has to offer

No sense putting the “always” in bold when the “almost” makes it untrue.

There being exceptions means it isn’t a rule. It’s maybe....a loose guideline.

Roundball_Rock
07-14-2020, 01:57 PM
LeBron
Durant
Curry
Harden
Giannis
Embiid
Westbrook
Jokic
Kawhi
Lillard
Davis
Butler
Paul
Siakam
George

Some of these guys are "sidekicks" right now but I'm talking ability, that if you run their careers 20 times that there is a viable chance at least 1 of those scenarios ends with a ring. Davis likely will surpass LeBron in the next year or two and could be the Magic to LeBron's Kareem.

Tatum will be on the list in the future but right now he and Walker are more like 1a/1b.

As for likely cases:

LeBron
Durant
Curry
Harden
Giannis
Embiid
Kawhi
Davis
Paul

Phoenix
07-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Off the top of my head I'm thinking Lillard.

SouBeachTalents
07-14-2020, 02:02 PM
No sense putting the “always” in bold when the “almost” makes it untrue.

There being exceptions means it isn’t a rule. It’s maybe....a loose guideline.
It's extremely rare that a BITW candidate doesn't win the title bruh. Bring it back to the 80's, you'd have 4 instances out of 40 where a player in the argument for best in the league didn't walk away with the title. My issue with your argument is you make it out to seem that it happens more frequently than it does, it happens at a pace of once a decade, and in the instances it's happened recently ('04 & '14), it's been on the back of a collective team effort where no individual player stuck out, not the case of someone like PG or Dame leading the way

Kblaze8855
07-14-2020, 02:06 PM
If you get robbed at gunpoint every ten years....it’s not accurate to say you almost never get robbed. Most people never get robbed at all. Being robbed now and then....is a lot.

StrongLurk
07-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Gonna go with a darkhorse here...Luka.

Charlie Sheen
07-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Gobert. That Jazz poster has convinced me. Not even trolling

Akeem34TheDream
07-14-2020, 03:22 PM
If you get robbed at gunpoint every ten years....it’s not accurate to say you almost never get robbed. Most people never get robbed at all. Being robbed now and then....is a lot.

If a thief enters your house every year and chooses not to rob you and just gets out 9 times out of 10 they almost never rob you. This is a better analogy imo.

Akeem34TheDream
07-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Btw I would say Jokic. He is a team enhancer kind of guy. Makes players around him better.

Kblaze8855
07-14-2020, 03:32 PM
If a thief enters your house every year and chooses not to rob you and just gets out 9 times out of 10 they almost never rob you. This is a better analogy imo.

Having had my house broken into twice since 2002 I assure you I’d never think to say I almost never have a break in.

KD7
07-14-2020, 03:50 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/2jMDhQ1tkM7smWOBHN/giphy.gif

D'lo & KAT will be legitimate title contenders next year especially if Okogie,Malik & Culver can develop into legit supporting players

Axe
07-15-2020, 01:34 AM
Thinking of trae young

GimmeThat
07-15-2020, 01:55 AM
Andre Iguodala had a 12.3 PER the season he won the FMVP, with a peak of 19.0 and career average of 15.7

NBAGOAT
07-15-2020, 02:21 AM
I’ll go with embiid. I think he and lillard are around the cutoff but not super confident in lillard. I have jokic above embiid so yes for him. I love Paul but he would need a great team right now. Paul from 2 years ago is easily above the co for me.

Sulico
07-15-2020, 04:09 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/2jMDhQ1tkM7smWOBHN/giphy.gif

D'lo & KAT will be legitimate title contenders next year especially if Okogie,Malik & Culver can develop into legit supporting players

There is no way in hell you yourself believe that!
Nobody is that stupid.

Axe
07-15-2020, 04:29 AM
Nobody is that stupid.
:roll:

You think manny is a genius?

Phoenix
07-15-2020, 05:02 AM
Nobody is that stupid.

With that poster? There's no floor.

KD7
07-15-2020, 05:21 AM
Nobody is that stupid.
Um, did you see what he did with the Nets last season? :facepalm

Willed them to almost 50 wins despite being riddled with injuries the entire year

If D'lo can take another step (which he will) they're going to be a serious threat in the West especially now that he has the best offensive big man in the NBA playing next to him and great young talented role players with Beasley and Culver

KD7
07-15-2020, 05:23 AM
I’ll go with embiid. I think he and lillard are around the cutoff but not super confident in lillard. I have jokic above embiid so yes for him. I love Paul but he would need a great team right now. Paul from 2 years ago is easily above the co for me.
Have you seen Embiid in the playoffs? :roll:

Sulico
07-15-2020, 05:48 AM
Um, did you see what he did with the Nets last season? :facepalm

Willed them to almost 50 wins despite being riddled with injuries the entire year

If D'lo can take another step (which he will) they're going to be a serious threat in the West especially now that he has the best offensive big man in the NBA playing next to him and great young talented role players with Beasley and Culver

OK, I get it, you like the guys on a 24 win team. I've been there.
You can make bold prediction that they going to get to the playoffs next season. It's unlikely, we talking about Minnesota here, but possible. The core is trashy, have bad reputation and no leadership, but young and still full of potential.

But contenders, man. CONTENDERS... Who do you think D-Lo is, Larry Bird? Just stop it. You loosing your shit dude. Get it together.

NBAGOAT
07-15-2020, 06:48 AM
Have you seen Embiid in the playoffs? :roll:

yea he's been on teams that fit poorly around him. as long as he's not up against gasol i dont feel too bad :lol

gonzaldo
07-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Bradley Beal on the current Pacers?

Wally450
07-15-2020, 10:59 AM
Lillard. Maybe Ben Simmons?

Whoah10115
07-15-2020, 11:13 AM
Some people complicate this question in unnecessary ways.

When you have a team built like the 04 Pistons, or built like 14 Spurs, it gets murky.

If you're looking at an out and out best player, then you're looking at someone like Lillard. Westbrook would also qualify, as he's good enough to be an out and out best player on a winning team, tho it's a whole different argument when trying to take into account his mentality and the fact he simply isn't a point guard.

I wouldn't wanna answer Embiid or Luka because they both -even Embiid- are not yet in their prime. But Embiid may needs to be no less than the start of next season away.

ralph_i_el
07-15-2020, 04:39 PM
I guess anyone as good as Chauncey Billups?