PDA

View Full Version : Will Giannis be expose in the playoffs again?

Lebron23
07-19-2020, 03:12 PM
Last year the Toronto Raptors exposed him in the playoffs. His lacked of perimeter shooting made him an easy target. Will he finally show up in the playoffs this year?

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 04:53 PM
26/12/5 and making the conference finals isn’t exactly not showing up. If it is....quite a few top 30-50 legends never showed up their entire career. His 2019 wouldnt look out of place as one of Lebrons pre Miami runs.

HylianNightmare
07-19-2020, 04:55 PM
Bucks coming out the east

Lebron23
07-19-2020, 05:10 PM
Bucks coming out the east

Toronto might beat them again. Coach Nick knows
him to shut him down.

Bronbron23
07-19-2020, 07:13 PM
26/12/5 and making the conference finals isn’t exactly not showing up. If it is....quite a few top 30-50 legends never showed up their entire career. His 2019 wouldnt look out of place as one of Lebrons pre Miami runs.
Stats dont really tell the story thats one of the reasons im not a big stats guy. Like bron greek is always gonna fill up the stat sheet. The eye test told a different story. Greek really struggled when they could get him and the bucks into a slower half court game. Greeks lack of skill was very apparent in those situations. That said greek is driven and works harder than anyone on his game. His three, mid and post game have improved alot. This will probably be the last year where making the game a slower half court game works.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Wouldn't bank on Giannis developing that stuff.

Plenty of dudes work hard but wont focus honing on some of these skills talked about. Show me and I'll believe it.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-19-2020, 07:37 PM
He will look great until Kawhi guards him, just like last year.

NBAGOAT
07-19-2020, 07:40 PM
Honestly don’t think so. He’s better at shooting this year. Mil going cold especially Bledsoe allowed to tor to pack the paint so heavily. They’re better this year especially Middleton.

Tor doesn’t have kawhi to throw at him anymore or the offensive firepower to win(if Giannis wins he won’t get much criticism). Boston doesn’t have the rim protection, just too small and Giannis didn’t have problems with bos anyway.

I think Miami is the sleeper threat. Bam is a good counter and they have great shooting to keep up but it’s still unlikely.

tpols
07-19-2020, 07:43 PM
Giannis had negative splits against Kawhi. He put up his 26 ppg on a flimsy 100 ORTG flat and overall for the series had negative splits.

Kawhi? 30 ppg on 113 ORTG and +10 splits.

That was the whole difference in Toronto winning.

Bronbron23
07-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't bank on Giannis developing that stuff.

Plenty of dudes work hard but wont focus honing on some of these skills talked about. Show me and I'll believe it.

Well he already did show a little bit of improvement this year. He went from 26% last year to 31% this year on threes. All while shooting twice as many as usual. He was also much more comfortable shooting the mid. He still has to get better but hes definitely improvement and given his age and work ethic i see no reason why he wont.

tpols
07-19-2020, 07:47 PM
His 2019 wouldnt look out of place as one of Lebrons pre Miami runs.

That's not at all true. Pre-Miami Lebron had a good long range ball and shot more volume than Giannis on infinitely better efficiency. Also had some of the best clutch stats in the league that year, GOAT crunchtime production. The only difference is the Bucks have far more talent to make up for Giannis's deficiencies. Kris Middleton shits on mo will or boobie gibson. Even Bledsoe might be better than them. So Lebron's 2nd option was akin to Giannis 4th. Shit Brook Lopez might be better than mo will.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 07:48 PM
It’s one of those things where it’s just easy to forgot what tons of people we called skilled did many times over. Dozens of great players. We just assign the reasons we see fit and make it out to be major. When Dirk was Giannis age he took a team with 5 all stars and lost in the first round. And in the first round the next year he put up 21/9 on 35% shooting before a strong second round loss. Barkley and Malone both got swept on the first round at this point. Nique went down doing 24 a game on 38% shooting after leading the league in scoring. Same point Durant went out shooting like 25% locked up by Tony Allen then came back the mvp who didn’t look like it vs the spurs.

Giannis has had a pretty normal run for an all time great of his age and experience. We assign the reasons we wish to explain each loss but really?

Its just a fact that most elite players are gonna lose most of their careers. That’s why being a hater is so easy. They all give you more to hate than praise if you’re looking for it. You might end up with even more if you put up great numbers and lose. Ask Wilt. Or Lebron more recently. The people looking to bring you down for the argument to the moment.

So far he’s well ahead of the curve.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 07:50 PM
That's not at all true. Pre-Miami Lebron had a good long range ball and shot more volume than Giannis on infinitely better efficiency. Also had some of the best clutch stats in the league that year, GOAT crunchtime production. The only difference is the Bucks have far more talent to make up for Giannis's deficiencies. Kris Middleton shits on mo will or boobie gibson. Even Bledsoe might be better than them.

It’s perfectly true. I’m not talking about the specific play style just the results. Switch out the 19 Giannis run for 08 or 2010 Lebron it wouldn’t look out of place. Standard great player making a good run then losing shit.

Wouldnt look like Lebron had a terrible year or anything.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-19-2020, 08:06 PM
Giannis had negative splits against Kawhi. He put up his 26 ppg on a flimsy 100 ORTG flat and overall for the series had negative splits.

Kawhi? 30 ppg on 113 ORTG and +10 splits.

That was the whole difference in Toronto winning.

He didn't even manage 26PPG. He had 22.7 for the series and 20.7 in games 3-6 when Kawhi guarded him. Basically went from a Shaq scorer vs everyone else to a Pippen scorer vs raptors and especially during the 4 straight losses. Was it a fluke due to Kawhi/Siakam/Gasol being a bad matchup for him? Time will tell on that. Giannis game feeds off crowd noise and fast pace.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-19-2020, 08:09 PM
It’s one of those things where it’s just easy to forgot what tons of people we called skilled did many times over. Dozens of great players. We just assign the reasons we see fit and make it out to be major. When Dirk was Giannis age he took a team with 5 all stars and lost in the first round. And in the first round the next year he put up 21/9 on 35% shooting before a strong second round loss. Barkley and Malone both got swept on the first round at this point. Nique went down doing 24 a game on 38% shooting after leading the league in scoring. Same point Durant went out shooting like 25% locked up by Tony Allen then came back the mvp who didn’t look like it vs the spurs.

Giannis has had a pretty normal run for an all time great of his age and experience. We assign the reasons we wish to explain each loss but really?

Its just a fact that most elite players are gonna lose most of their careers. That’s why being a hater is so easy. They all give you more to hate than praise if you’re looking for it. You might end up with even more if you put up great numbers and lose. Ask Wilt. Or Lebron more recently. The people looking to bring you down for the argument to the moment.

So far he’s well ahead of the curve.

Yes but Dirk had a bad rep of mostly soft/choker label until 2011. I dont think Giannis wants to go down that route.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 08:12 PM
He did have that rep....but I don’t think he was. He certainly wasn’t unskilled though a great many people acted like he was when he got bottled up a couple runs. I remember one nickname here was Irk Noskillski. Perhaps the worst in ISH history.

tpols
07-19-2020, 08:17 PM
He didn't even manage 26PPG. He had 22.7 for the series and 20.7 in games 3-6 when Kawhi guarded him. Basically went from a Shaq scorer vs everyone else to a Pippen scorer vs raptors and especially during the 4 straight losses. Was it a fluke due to Kawhi/Siakam/Gasol being a bad matchup for him? Time will tell on that. Giannis game feeds off crowd noise and fast pace.

you're right. i was looking at overall playoff numbers.

22 ppg on 100 ORTG for what he's shown capable of is straight up shutdown. When Kobe averaged that in 2004, everybody clowned him, to this day. When Chef averaged that in 2016, ditto. Lebron 2011 again. Only Giannis somehow is above the hate.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 08:28 PM

22 ppg on 100 ORTG for what he's shown capable of is straight up shutdown. When Kobe averaged that in 2004, everybody clowned him, to this day. When Chef averaged that in 2016, ditto. Lebron 2011 again. Only Giannis somehow is above the hate.

Ever see me doing it?

Besides my issue is more about reasoning used. Players of all types have those things happen all the time.

Roundball_Rock
07-19-2020, 08:34 PM

You minutes earlier were in another thread complaining a defense was "too tough" for a favorite of yours. Now you are ripping Giannis against the #5 defense (with Kawhi missing 22 games) led by an all-time great defender?

23/14/6 (with 3 blocks, 1 steal) is underperformance for Giannis--but it shows how great he is that we consider that a down series for him at 24. I agree with your momentary position: we need to hold legends to high standards but this isn't a trend with Giannis yet. If he winds up like D Rob and does this every year that is different but we don't have a large sample size with him. LeBron had shaky series in 06', 07', 08' and eventually got over it with experience.

When Kobe averaged that in 2004, everybody clowned him, to this day. When Chef averaged that in 2016, ditto. Lebron 2011 again. Only Giannis somehow is above the hate.

Giannis wasn't even an all-star until 2017. You are comparing a player in his third year as a star with guys who were at that level for much longer when those series happened.

Axe
07-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Lol I'm more concerned how coach bud will be able to manage him and the rest of the bucks this time when postseason arrives

Jasper
07-20-2020, 12:25 AM
He has a step back jumper , and if trusts it like he trusts passing it out , the Bucks could win it all.
I think Milwaukee is far more pumped up then most people give them credit for ...
They basically CRUISED to the best record in the league...

Playoff jitters I think are gone..

ImKobe
07-20-2020, 03:14 AM
Last year the Toronto Raptors exposed him in the playoffs. His lacked of perimeter shooting made him an easy target. Will he finally show up in the playoffs this year?

This was the narrative with Lebron from 2007-2011... I think Giannis won't disappoint that many years in a row. No Kawhi out East to guard him.