PDA

View Full Version : Which of these 3 odd facts stands out most to you?

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 08:08 PM
Chris Bosh only made 111 threes in the 4 “big 3” Heat seasons combined. That would be the third most for a single season by Aaron Gordon. But your mental images of him on the Heat includes a lot of corner threes doesn’t it?

Kobe shot 27% from 3 in 2002. Hetook less of them than usual(obviously making the desperation ones have a greater impact).

Magic Johnson shot better from the ft line than Jordan, Kobe, Dell Curry, Glen Rice, and John Stockton. I’ve mentioned that before but it just feels weird.

Bosh for me. No way they let him take all those midrange shots today.

fsvr54
07-19-2020, 08:13 PM
The Bosh one for sure.

Kobe being inefficient is unsurprising and a lot of great distance shooters don't translate to the FT line for some reason, maybe they rush it.

NBAGOAT
07-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Magic for me. Often gets cited as someone without an outside shot though Ik he’s actually decent.

Kobe had a cold year whatever. Was never a sniper. Bosh’s stuff is too recent so i remember he didn’t really start taking 3s til 2014.

1987_Lakers
07-19-2020, 08:21 PM
I guess the Magic Johnson stat surprises me the most. These following stats shock me the most...

Vernon Maxwell leading the NBA in 3s made in back to back seasons despite being a career 32% shooter from 3.

Gary Payton also led the NBA in 3s made in 2000 which is odd to me.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 08:22 PM
Jordan and Kobe were good ft shooters but when we think about what it takes? Fundamental shooting ability and the mental aspect to translate it to perform in game. Bad shooters can shoot in practice. Not all can do it in game.
Doesn’t it feel like they should have crept up on 90% or so?

Still good so nothing to complain about....it just feels like something they would be truly elite at.

Reggie43
07-19-2020, 08:24 PM
Never knew Magic had that great a touch from the ft line until recently. Definitely could have developed other parts of his game but was unstoppable enough with the ones he used.

tpols
07-19-2020, 08:27 PM
Toronto Chris Bosh took 1% of his total shot volume as 3's. 1%. That means he would go many games in a row without a single attempt. Not even standing out there or looking for it. Prime Chris Bosh did not shoot 3's he was a midrange face up player.

Every year with the Heat his % of 3 pointers taken doubled, and in the 2014 playoffs with a 20 game sample size he took 32% of his looks from 3 pt range.

From sub 1% to 32% of shot volume.

That's why people took notice.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 08:37 PM
If you make 6, 10, and 21 for 3 years running....it’s just hard to imagine being remembered as an outside shooter for a run because you made 70 something the final year. He did become one eventually when he said he didn’t wanna post up the bigger bodies anymore it just....seems he’d have taken more is all.

tpols
07-19-2020, 08:43 PM
i mean it was a build up... the heat used Bosh incredibly in the midrange PnR in 2011. Bosh absolutely eviscerated the Bulls that year with pure midrange play.

As time went on they abandoned that and had him constantly spotting up for 3. I think it's obvious they did it to provide better spacing for wade and lebron who proved to have a problem slashing with each other. Lebron goes off in the ECF's, Wade sucks, and Wade goes off in the Finals, Lebron sucks. So they tried to balance things out by making Bosh space better and adding all that GOAT 3pt shooting talent mike miller shane battier ray allen james jones etc.

light
07-19-2020, 09:25 PM
Well I watched the Heat and no, Bosh and corner three is not synonymous. It's Bosh and midrange J.

I think the Magic free throw thing is most surprising to me.

tpols
07-19-2020, 09:32 PM
i dont think Bosh even took corner 3's much. I remember him taking them from the wings heavy.

Axe
07-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Magic is kinda surprising, considering he is taller than the other mentioned players there. So that tells us he's good at them with his big hands.

Bosh still made most 3 point shots of his career during the last season of the heat triumvirate. At that time, big men of his size shooting from downtown weren't as common as they are nowadays so i guess that's forgivable.

Lastly, kobe's supposed to shoot and sink in more threes, as he is an sg but he didn't excel in that area for obvious reasons.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2020, 09:56 PM
It’s largely the ISH effect I’m sure. You hear so much about him being made a three point shooter and people being told to stand in a corner. Just feels like something that should have happened more in reality.

insidehoops
07-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Chris Bosh only made 111 threes in the 4 “big 3” Heat seasons combined. That would be the third most for a single season by Aaron Gordon. But your mental images of him on the Heat includes a lot of corner threes doesn’t it?

Kobe shot 27% from 3 in 2002. Hetook less of them than usual(obviously making the desperation ones have a greater impact).

Magic Johnson shot better from the ft line than Jordan, Kobe, Dell Curry, Glen Rice, and John Stockton. I’ve mentioned that before but it just feels weird.

Bosh for me. No way they let him take all those midrange shots today.

To me it's a tie between the Bosh and Magic statements. Both fly in the face of what we'd guess naturally off the top of our heads.

imdaman99
07-25-2020, 01:24 PM
Frobe was not a great 3 point shooter. He could make them on occasion.

Midrange game is dead so that Bosh one is shocking even for 8-9 years back. I felt like the Beatles were the first teams to win chips without being a good rebounding team. Because they started launching 3s.

Whoah10115
07-25-2020, 03:26 PM
Magic is no surprise.

Bosh a bit. He was a trailing runner so was spotting up a lot anyway.

Kobe was a great shooter. But he often took bad shots, plus had a lot of bailout 3's at buzzer. Jason Kidd much the same in regards to the latter.