PDA

View Full Version : How good is Danilo Gallinari?

PeroAntic
07-20-2020, 06:53 AM
Hes the best italian that ever played in the NBA. But is he an allstar level player? Hes a great shooter and post player, lot of Nowitzki in him, but injuries held him down...

Kblaze8855
07-20-2020, 08:50 AM
This reminds me of an extensive argument we had 10+ years ago on if Manu was a european or not. Italian family fled during WW2 so hes born in Argentina. He speaks Italian, spanish, and english. It came up again when people called Lin chinese when hes from California. It was a "You know what we mean...." kinda thing where then we had people calling guys Nigerian or from the Ivory coast. Whole...ordeal....

Anyway....if Manu is italian hes the GOAT Italian...but I like Gallinari a lot. Always have. I wish he would stay healthy for a few years and really show his potential but I bet hes older than I think he is right now so it may be too late.

Roundball_Rock
07-20-2020, 11:19 AM
If he stayed healthy maybe he would have made 1-2 all-star teams (look at the list of 1-2x all-stars--not hard to see him making it at some point). He is a very good player he is an all-star caliber player nonetheless (and a fantasy basketball staple to anchor your FT %'s :oldlol: ). OKC is a dark horse this year. If they make a run, he will have to be a big part of that and that may get him some recognition.

tpols
07-20-2020, 11:29 AM
I only really watched him on the knicks... was definitely very good. But it's wierd he's crazy efficient in the regular season and just bombed out in the playoffs. it's a small sample size so take it with a grain of salt but when you're shooting 35% across multiple runs... and not a great defender, thats gonna hurt your team. chris paul should help alleviate ballhandling pressure this year though.

rawimpact
07-20-2020, 11:32 AM
He will never be an allstar again, his best years are behind him. He was a gifted 'oddball' scorer that would have been a great #2 or #3 option on a solid team (Ex. Clippers) if he could stay healthy.

His weaknesses are obviously health, and bball IQ.
His strengths are his size and mobility (Athleticism) and unorthodox shot selection

Clippersfan86
07-20-2020, 12:14 PM
He will never be an allstar again, his best years are behind him. He was a gifted 'oddball' scorer that would have been a great #2 or #3 option on a solid team (Ex. Clippers) if he could stay healthy.

His weaknesses are obviously health, and bball IQ.
His strengths are his size and mobility (Athleticism) and unorthodox shot selection

Weakness is bball IQ lol? How much have you watched him?

ArbitraryWater
07-20-2020, 12:18 PM
Just remember his horrendous playoff performance against GSW last year

but he's really good

Clippersfan86
07-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Gallo would be the best 3rd option in the entire league hands down on a title contender team. The problem is he's been forced into a 1st or 2nd option on mediocre teams most of it. As for impact, he's already clearly all star level the last few seasons, but he will never make it out west. At his absolute peak any given game he can legit outplay your team's superstar, yes even a guy like LeBron or Kawhi.

He's actually been pretty healthy the last two years compared to the past. I'd say he's peaking the last two years, definitely not out of prime. Last year with the Clippers he had a 125 ORTG, +13 net, WS/48 of .191 (which is superstar tier nearly). This year he's taken a small step back in efficiency but is still easily all star tier.

Clippersfan86
07-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Just remember his horrendous playoff performance against GSW last year

but he's really good

It's true he's a guy who struggles in the playoffs. Thing is he's really meant to be a 3rd guy. Vs GS he was the primary focus of the defense. GS made a concerted effort to shut him and the Lou/Harrell connection down.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 12:28 PM
He was clippers best offensive player last year and maybe even best overall, leading them in BPM/VORP as well as their best scorer. His defense is below average though for sure. Definitely not even close to being a better Italian player then Manu.

Clippersfan86
07-20-2020, 01:10 PM
He was clippers best offensive player last year and maybe even best overall, leading them in BPM/VORP as well as their best scorer. His defense is below average though for sure. Definitely not even close to being a better Italian player then Manu.

He's odd defensively. Reminds me of JJ Redick and now Shamet. His metrics defensively look really bad, but he has certain matchups where he looks like Draymond Green and shuts guys down. JJ Redick gave Harden problems defensively oddly enough in multiple games. He tends to do much better defensively against PF's due to slow foot speed.

Carbine
07-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Better than Kukoc for sure.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 01:43 PM
He's odd defensively. Reminds me of JJ Redick and now Shamet. His metrics defensively look really bad, but he has certain matchups where he looks like Draymond Green and shuts guys down. JJ Redick gave Harden problems defensively oddly enough in multiple games. He tends to do much better defensively against PF's due to slow foot speed.

He's injury prone and has such a small playoff sample size, so it's hard to tell. Nuggets were an atrocious 29th ranked defense with Gallo in 2017 logging top 2 minutes, since he left they got way better without him.

With thunder he's lucky to be surrounded by very good defenders.

I don't see it, he's closer to a liability then he is a decent defender. Slow power forwards he may do a decent job.

pegasus
07-20-2020, 02:31 PM
Carlton Myers, anyone?

NBAGOAT
07-20-2020, 10:26 PM
It's true he's a guy who struggles in the playoffs. Thing is he's really meant to be a 3rd guy. Vs GS he was the primary focus of the defense. GS made a concerted effort to shut him and the Lou/Harrell connection down.

i gotta agree. he's a nice fit in okc where he doesnt have pressure to carry with scoring

insidehoops
07-22-2020, 08:42 PM
Pretty much every key Thunder player were better this season than expected.