PDA

View Full Version : I would love to see the NBA one on one contest come back with Boban in it.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2020, 08:07 AM
What do you do if it’s make it take it?

https://youtu.be/0djOfJkjNbw

He might bully ball the league and win like Bob Lanier did in the 70s. They had all guards and all big men play each other and in the finals at all star weekend the guard winner played the big man winner. Lanier wiped the floor with I think Dave Bing to win.

Whats a guy like Kemba gonna do when Boban has the ball first?

I wish he came along earlier. Someone in the 80s would have run the whole offense through him in whatever minutes he could handle.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2020, 08:09 AM
It was Lanier vs Jojo White

https://youtu.be/Zk9WhHFhLus

Lanier bully balled him but with 15k on the line in the 70s? You gotta win that.

RRR3
07-20-2020, 09:28 AM
I do feel bad for Boban. Dude would have been an All-Star in a different era. Even today he will still give you 20/10+ if he gets the minutes but he’s unplayable defensively.

Phoenix
07-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Dude didn't even jump 2 inches to dunk that first shot.

tpols
07-20-2020, 09:49 AM
Lanier looks skilled but whats with guards back then only dribbling with their right hand.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2020, 10:16 AM
No doubt handles have advanced but so many of those guys were limited by the actual rules being enforced. You might see 3-4 travels or carry violations watching those games and they are never half as blatant as the go to moves guys today do right in front of the ref 5-6 times in a row. Guys like Steph and Harden with double drible shot fakes, into a carry to change direction, then travel to the basket and it happens all the time. Thats not even going into the bigger ball handlers like Giannis and KD who literally cant change direction legally at speed and the NBA just doesnt bother calling it. 50 years ago you didnt protect the ball by cheating you protected it with your body. It looks lame to guys now to see people just turn their back....but go play some old head with handles. They get low and spin this way and that way and you will not get the ball from them. It was effective but it did limit off hand use. Lots of righty layups from the left side and other things we would call fundamentally wrong even from the great players who would translate. Granted....Gary Payton did that even in the 2000s.

The old guys who did have off hands like Isiah were impossible to keep from their spots. Used what Isiah called in the box dribbling based on maximum dribbles per second so you could change direction legally but quickly. Keep the ball close...inside your shoulders if possible. Then AI came along with the big exaggerated waaaaaaaaaaay outside the box crossover and kids copied it. Now almost nobody has the tight handles anymore. The few who do like Kyrie combine that with the looser modern rules to look like gods among men handles wise.