PDA

View Full Version : And the awards go to ----

Jasper
07-20-2020, 10:19 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29497885/the-stars-our-experts-picking-mvp-rookie-year-biggest-nba-awards

giannis MVP and D- player of the year :basketball:applause:

:cheers:

Kblaze8855
07-20-2020, 10:24 AM
Giannis 17-3. And it really shouldnt be that close. Not with the other best players in the league all playing with other elite players or load managing.....or both.

Wally450
07-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Not a single vote for Brad for COTY.

Phoenix
07-20-2020, 10:29 AM
When was the last MVP/DPOY guy? Hakeem in 94 is the last I can recall.

Kblaze8855
07-20-2020, 10:46 AM
In the same year it’s only Hakeem and Jordan. In a career it’s them, David Robinson, and KG though obviously Wilt and Russell would have and probably Kareem too.

Manny98
07-20-2020, 10:49 AM
:facepalm

Phoenix
07-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Yeah meant same year. So it is Hakeem then as most recent. Giannis potentially being the third puts him in some pretty rare company.

ImKobe
07-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Giannis 17-3. And it really shouldnt be that close. Not with the other best players in the league all playing with other elite players or load managing.....or both.

Yup, but it's ESPN we're talking about. Giannis should be unanimous MVP and also a DPOY, it's been that impressive.

bullettooth
07-20-2020, 02:37 PM
:facepalm

Stop being a mindless LeBron jock rider.

LAmbruh
07-20-2020, 03:05 PM
Lebron and Giannis 1a 1b for MVP

Helluva season for both :applause:

another1.gif

ArbitraryWater
07-20-2020, 03:11 PM
6th man frontrunners both from the same team haha

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 03:43 PM
MVP should have been unanimously Giannis. The 3 ****tards that voted for LeBron instead of Giannis:

Jorge Sedano used to work for Miami heat radio.

Dave McMenamin used to work as a writer for Lakers

Andrew Han is from LA area

This is why this needs to be coaches voting only, media is too biased.

Shogon
07-20-2020, 03:44 PM
So the Clippers have two people that are receiving significant nods for 6th man of the year...

The Clippers are absolutely stacked. If they don't win the title it'll be one of three reasons... 1) somebody on the Clippers got hurt, 2) Paul George choked his brains out or 3) Some other player from some other team absolutely blew the **** up for a series and put them away.

I just don't see how they don't win it all because those 3 things are unlikely to happen.

They are the best team from top to bottom.

And once they do, Kawhi will have officially supplanted Kobe Bryant as the luckiest player of all time in terms of the rosters around him.

This clown starts off with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker & Manu... then he goes to the Raptors in 2019 which are absolutely loaded af AND their main opposition suffers TWO MAJOR INJURIES IN THE FINALS (Durant out for season, Klay out for season.)

Kobe got to play with peak Shaq and then later on after sucking ass with a terrible roster, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom & Ron Artest(Artest-2010)... once again the best front court in the league.

Now, I want to clarify... both Kobe & Kawhi were elite players, there is no room for interpretation there. However, they both are going to get major MAJOR bumps up in the all time standing for no reason other than being the two luckiest stars in terms of supporting casts of all time. I mean it's actually unreal how many "free" rings these guys got. Just unreal.

Both elite and both overrated af. Yes, you can be elite and still overrated af. Kawhi would do the same thing as Kobe and 99% of other star wings throughout history on a bad team... he'd miss the playoffs entirely or get his ass reamed in the first round. The worst team Kawhi has ever been on was like the 2018 Spurs or some shit, and Pop still had those guys hopping. lol.

It actually pisses me off thinking about how stupid people are and how unable they are to properly evaluate individual players and just see "rangz." I need to go back to counseling. In fact, googling that right now.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 03:52 PM

Giannis plays less minutes per game then Kawhi though and just 120 more mins total.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 04:16 PM
So the Clippers have two people that are receiving significant nods for 6th man of the year...

The Clippers are absolutely stacked. If they don't win the title it'll be one of three reasons... 1) somebody on the Clippers got hurt, 2) Paul George choked his brains out or 3) Some other player from some other team absolutely blew the **** up for a series and put them away.

I just don't see how they don't win it all because those 3 things are unlikely to happen.

And once they do, Kawhi will have officially supplanted Kobe Bryant as the luckiest player of all time in terms of the rosters around him.

This clown starts off with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker & Manu... then he goes to the Raptors in 2019 which are absolutely loaded af AND their main opposition suffers TWO MAJOR INJURIES IN THE FINALS (Durant out for season, Klay out for season.)

Kobe got to play with peak Shaq and then later on after sucking ass with a terrible roster, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom & Ron Artest(Artest-2010)... once again the best front court in the league.

Now, I want to clarify... both Kobe & Kawhi were elite players, there is no room for interpretation there. However, they both are going to get major MAJOR bumps up in the all time standing for no reason other than being the two luckiest stars in terms of supporting casts of all time. I mean it's actually unreal how many "free" rings these guys got. Just unreal.

Both elite and both overrated af. Yes, you can be elite and still overrated af. Kawhi would do the same thing as Kobe and 99% of other star wings throughout history on a bad team... he'd miss the playoffs entirely or get his ass reamed in the first round. The worst team Kawhi has ever been on was like the 2018 Spurs or some shit, and Pop still had those guys hopping. lol.

It actually pisses me off thinking about how stupid people are and how unable they are to properly evaluate individual players and just see "rangz." I need to go back to counseling. In fact, googling that right now.

Kawhi had to score 732 total points and a 44% usage in close out games vs Giannis/Embiid. How the hell is that a free ring? Lol

Even the 2014 finals, 3 straight wins kawhi averages 24PPG to Duncan's 12PPG. Sounds like Duncan got the free ring there.

tpols
07-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Kawhi had to score 732 total points and a 44% usage in close out games vs Giannis/Embiid. How the hell is that a free ring? Lol

Even the 2014 finals, 3 straight wins kawhi averages 24PPG to Duncan's 12PPG. Sounds like Duncan got the free ring there.

the guys a clown.

Kawhi is all time lucky because he gets to play with an 8 ppg Siakam (before he blew up) and perrenial playoff flop kyle lowry? Kobe to play with Pau, and Lamar Odom unfair? And then he stans Lebron whose played with dwayne wade, anthony davis, chris bosh, kevin love, and kyrie.

:roll:

Bowl cut boy really is something else. Cognitive dissonance to the max.

Shogon
07-20-2020, 05:11 PM
the guys a clown.

Kawhi is all time lucky because he gets to play with an 8 ppg Siakam (before he blew up) and perrenial playoff flop kyle lowry? Kobe to play with Pau, and Lamar Odom unfair? And then he stans Lebron whose played with dwayne wade, anthony davis, chris bosh, kevin love, and kyrie.

Virgin.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 05:54 PM
the guys a clown.

I know what's going on now. The media hates Kawhi because he's not interview friendly, so they build this myth of Kawhi's load management. The Kawhi haters of course go along with it. In reality? Giannis plays less minutes per game then Kawhi and only 120 total more mins. 120 more total mins? Giannis is at 30MPG, so he's playing 4 total more games then Kawhi. That's supposed to be what the big fuss is all about? Bullshit I hope Kawhi sweeps Giannis in the finals now, teach the media/haters a damn lesson.

Clippersfan86
07-20-2020, 06:13 PM

Look at the Clippers bench. It would wipe out the bad teams out East for sure.

Lou
Harrell
Green
Shamet
Noah
Jackson
Mcgruder
Mann
Kabengele

The Clippers will likely have won 4 of the last 5 6th man awards after this year. I like Schroeder slightly more than Harrell, but Harrell may get nod due to team success. Noah is gonna be Dwight 2.0 IMO. With a huge mid 30s resurgence. Hes in better shape than anyone on the team right now.

tpols
07-20-2020, 06:14 PM
I know what's going on now. The media hates Kawhi because he's not interview friendly, so they build this myth of Kawhi's load management. The Kawhi haters of course go along with it. In reality? Giannis plays less minutes per game then Kawhi and only 120 total more mins. 120 more total mins? Giannis is at 30MPG, so he's playing 4 total more games then Kawhi. That's supposed to be what the big fuss is all about? Bullshit I hope Kawhi sweeps Giannis in the finals now, teach the media/haters a damn lesson.

i mean the load management is legit, but then again i dont really care what numbers you put up against the orlando magic or pheonix suns. The revisionist history around the raptors is the most amazing thing to me. NOBODY at the time it happened considered it some unfair move. Nobody. That only happened in hindsight after they won.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Look at the Clippers bench. It would wipe out the bad teams out East for sure.

Lou
Harrell
Green
Shamet
Noah
Jackson
Mcgruder
Mann
Kabengele

The Clippers will likely have won 4 of the last 5 6th man awards after this year. I like Schroeder slightly more than Harrell, but Harrell may get nod due to team success. Noah is gonna be Dwight 2.0 IMO. With a huge mid 30s resurgence. Hes in better shape than anyone on the team right now.

But Giannis is playing in the weaker east, Giannis has had years with the same coach/supporting cast. I think there's some advantages for Kawhi as well.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-20-2020, 06:36 PM
i mean the load management is legit, but then again i dont really care what numbers you put up against the orlando magic or pheonix suns. The revisionist history around the raptors is the most amazing thing to me. NOBODY at the time it happened considered it some unfair move. Nobody. That only happened in hindsight after they won.

He's playing more MPG then the freaking MVP for god sakes, the load management thing is greatly exaggerated.

BigShotBob
07-21-2020, 12:35 AM

I think the Marc Gasol trade was what really pushed them towards contender territory.

But yea Kawhi was the difference. No doubt about it. Without him they would have lost to Philly really badly.

Manny98
07-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Clippers literally have two players off the bench that are 6moty contenders, that's how loaded they are

Meanwhile LeBron is left with the mighty duo of JR Smith & Dion Waiters leading his second unit yet still has them as the number 1 seed in the Wild West :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
07-21-2020, 08:20 AM

When you win games by a near record margin why would you play big minutes? 10 of his last 20 games were 19+ blowout wins. Only 3 games inside double digits. Vs the Thunder 5 games ago he was +44 in only 27 minutes and did 32/13/6. Next game he did 41/20/6 while being +22. He was +39 in 32 minutes before those. They are .02 off the 72 Lakers for the widest average margin of victory in NBA history.

What would be his reason to play huge minutes?

Phoenix
07-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Giannis would be 35/16/7 :biggums: playing 36 minutes and some of the blow-outs would be even more cartoonish. The Warriors in 2016 pretty much had most games in the bag halfway through the 3rd so Steph took alot of 4th quarters off. That's the best way to 'load-manage'.

ImKobe
07-21-2020, 08:38 AM
Clippers literally have two players off the bench that are 6moty contenders, that's how loaded they are

Meanwhile LeBron is left with the mighty duo of JR Smith & Dion Waiters leading his second unit yet still has them as the number 1 seed in the Wild West :oldlol:

Already making excuses, eh?

Jasper
07-21-2020, 10:11 AM
people have stated that Giannis has less minutes .... could it be that the Bucks bench is the deepest in the league ???

They don't give up points when the starters sit ... they have won by a record point spread and that is based on their bench.

bullettooth
07-21-2020, 10:47 AM
Already making excuses, eh?

February 26, 2019:

I don't know why everyone is overreacting LeBron is still going to make the playoffs Spurs and Clippers are trash and LeBron will go into GOAT mode down the stretch

Source: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13613445&postcount=19

March 5, 2019

We're already looking to next season this was supposed to be a throwaway season from the start anyway

Source: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13623841&postcount=5

Manny98
07-21-2020, 01:48 PM
Imagine having someone's posts saved from 2019 :lol

That's how you know you're living good inside someone's head

HBK_Kliq_2
07-21-2020, 03:27 PM
I think the Marc Gasol trade was what really pushed them towards contender territory.

But yea Kawhi was the difference. No doubt about it. Without him they would have lost to Philly really badly.

And don't forget Marc was a lazy fatass halfway through the 2019 season. That's why grizzles traded him and that's why he lost a bunch of weight this year. His offense was pretty atrocious during the 2019 playoffs though, basically equal to 2003 David Robinson.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-21-2020, 03:30 PM
When you win games by a near record margin why would you play big minutes? 10 of his last 20 games were 19+ blowout wins. Only 3 games inside double digits. Vs the Thunder 5 games ago he was +44 in only 27 minutes and did 32/13/6. Next game he did 41/20/6 while being +22. He was +39 in 32 minutes before those. They are .02 off the 72 Lakers for the widest average margin of victory in NBA history.

What would be his reason to play huge minutes?

No reason but the fact that he's playing less minutes per game then Kawhi and still wins MVP? That means you can't hold load management against Kawhi. Especially since Kawhi has had George out a lot more then Middleton.

Kblaze8855
07-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Playing low minutes when you’re up by record margins and not playing games at all because you don’t feel they are that important are too dissimilar to bother explaining even by ish standards.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-21-2020, 04:24 PM
Playing low minutes when you’re up by record margins and not playing games at all because you don’t feel they are that important are too dissimilar to bother explaining even by ish standards.

But it still only totals up to 4 more games played by Giannis (30 mins x 4). Assuming clippers don't ever win by blowouts either? The minute gap would be even bigger if Clippers were playing a lot more closer games.

tpols
07-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Honestly, who gives a shit about MVP? it's a regular season award. I'll admit I've been way too hard on Giannis, i just dont like his style but the results speak for themselves. Huge positive splits and a very respectable playoff ORTG. I do find his game cheesy... like when you're playing 2K online and a guy keeps beating you with the same moves with the same mega star. But you cant deny the outcomes and splits. He impacts the game in a lot of ways outside offense and even there he's producing at a high level efficiently and his teams get along with it all fine.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Honestly, who gives a shit about MVP? it's a regular season award. I'll admit I've been way too hard on Giannis, i just dont like his style but the results speak for themselves. Huge positive splits and a very respectable playoff ORTG. I do find his game cheesy... like when you're playing 2K online and a guy keeps beating you with the same moves with the same mega star. But you cant deny the outcomes and splits. He impacts the game in a lot of ways outside offense and even there he's producing at a high level efficiently and his teams get along with it all fine.

Yeah, he's basically the new David Robinson. I guess that makes Kawhi the Hakeem.

Roundball_Rock
07-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Yeah, he's basically the new David Robinson. I guess that makes Kawhi the Hakeem.

It is possible Giannis is Robinson 2.0 but too early to tell. I suspect he will be like LeBron, have some early issues but figure it out. If Giannis gets a reliable J, it is over for the league.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-21-2020, 09:52 PM
It is possible Giannis is Robinson 2.0 but too early to tell. I suspect he will be like LeBron, have some early issues but figure it out. If Giannis gets a reliable J, it is over for the league.

LeBron at 24 years old put up 39 points on 59% TS vs #1 defense

Giannis at 24 years old struggled heavily vs raptors defense

But we will see, Giannis hasn't been a star for as long as LeBron was at those ages. I don't see Giannis jumper improving much though, when has a players jumpshot suddenly become good after 25 years old? Maybe Jason Kidd but he's a wing player and it wasn't until he became a role player.

Giannis just seems like he didn't grow up on basketball like other greats did, due to the country he is from. So, his offensive instincts aren't quite the same as American players who grew up the sport? That's what I see with a guy like Embiid anyway.

insidehoops
07-22-2020, 08:13 PM
Just a quick note, this won't surprise anybody, but the league decided that the award voting should focus on the games that were already played, ending March 11th. What happens in the seeding games that start next week won't play a factor in the regular season awards voting.

SATAN
07-22-2020, 08:19 PM
Honestly, who gives a shit about MVP?

The **** cancers known as ESPN, Fox ect

Jasper
07-23-2020, 09:41 AM

You know I have seen Robinson , and its the first time that I realized 100% he has a game very similar to Davids.
Robinson had how many rings before Duncan ??
So we will see if Giannis gets his Duncan .................

Nice comparison !!

Phoenix
07-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Just a quick note, this won't surprise anybody, but the league decided that the award voting should focus on the games that were already played, ending March 11th. What happens in the seeding games that start next week won't play a factor in the regular season awards voting.

The link in the OP says this. :hammerhead:

"The NBA told teams Friday that none of the seeding games inside the Orlando, Florida, bubble will count toward individual regular-season honors.

That means Zion Williamson won't get the chance to beat the odds and challenge front-runner Ja Morant for the Rookie of the Year crown, and LeBron James won't get to pick up his chase of Giannis Antetokounmpo for MVP."

Phoenix
07-23-2020, 10:04 AM
You know I have seen Robinson , and its the first time that I realized 100% he has a game very similar to Davids.
Robinson had how many rings before Duncan ??
So we will see if Giannis gets his Duncan .................

Nice comparison !!

Giannis is like a point power forward. Admiral's game was more facing up at the elbow and using his speed to drive on slower centers or shoot the jumper. Their similarities are mostly size, body type and athleticism. Here's his 71 point game which shows alot of his prime skillset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck4KXAydlkE

Giannis handles the ball exponentially more on the perimeter and can drive/kick. Admiral would probably translate alot better to todays era with minor modifications than some of the slower 90's big, especially when it comes to switching on defense.

Whoah10115
07-23-2020, 10:07 AM
To say compare the MPG to the games missed and conclude somethings like 120min total...that's concluding that stats are all at face value and tell the story.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-23-2020, 02:50 PM
To say compare the MPG to the games missed and conclude somethings like 120min total...that's concluding that stats are all at face value and tell the story.

Clippers are on 66 win pace when Kawhi/George play and Middleton has played 431 more minutes then George.

tresbigdog
07-23-2020, 06:13 PM
This is why this needs to be coaches voting only, media is too biased.

and coaches aren't??

HBK_Kliq_2
07-23-2020, 06:59 PM
and coaches aren't??

Well there can be a rule where you can't vote for anybody on your team to win. The coaches nailed it on the 1st team all defense votes (simmons, smart, kawhi, giannis, gobert)

kawhileonard2
09-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Too bad they never got to play in Milwaukee for the playoffs