PDA

View Full Version : "The Greatest Offensive Team of All Time"

ralph_i_el
08-01-2020, 12:04 PM
What team comes to mind when you think "The Greatest Offensive Team of All Time"

A few points from me:

1. Most of the "Greatest Teams of All Time" were top-5 defenses. Sure they had great offenses, but their defense set them apart. I'm talking teams like the second 3-peat Bulls or the '08 Celtics (not that they are in the GOAT convo)

2. Lots of "Great Offenses" can be one-dimensional, meaning they might underperform in a bad matchup. This season the Mavs put up insane offensive numbers, but it's mostly based on chucking tons of 3's in a 5-out offense. The Clips are a bad matchup for them, and I don't know what they'll do in response.

3. Lots of regular season "Great Offenses" depend on getting a ton of transition buckets, which are harder to come by in the playoffs. This is a knock against them.

All this being said, IN MY OPINION, the 2014 Spurs are "The Greatest Offensive Team of All Time"

I have never seen team offense run with more precision and buy-in from the players. They decisively executed simple, fundamental basketball at the highest level; all without having anyone monopolize the ball. I've been rewatching their finals series against the Heat, and I'm blown away by how many possessions they had where 4-5 guys touch the ball, only 1-2 of them even take a dribble, and they get an easy look from 3 or at the rim. It looks so simple....but it's the product of great coaching and a commitment to teamwork.

The Beautiful Game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3y7cWmoBCI)

Whoah10115
08-01-2020, 12:15 PM
What team comes to mind when you think "The Greatest Offensive Team of All Time"

A few points from me:

1. Most of the "Greatest Teams of All Time" were top-5 defenses. Sure they had great offenses, but their defense set them apart. I'm talking teams like the second 3-peat Bulls or the '08 Celtics (not that they are in the GOAT convo)

2. Lots of "Great Offenses" can be one-dimensional, meaning they might underperform in a bad matchup. This season the Mavs put up insane offensive numbers, but it's mostly based on chucking tons of 3's in a 5-out offense. The Clips are a bad matchup for them, and I don't know what they'll do in response.

3. Lots of regular season "Great Offenses" depend on getting a ton of transition buckets, which are harder to come by in the playoffs. This is a knock against them.

All this being said, IN MY OPINION, the 2014 Spurs are "The Greatest Offensive Team of All Time"

I have never seen team offense run with more precision and buy-in from the players. They decisively executed simple, fundamental basketball at the highest level; all without having anyone monopolize the ball. I've been rewatching their finals series against the Heat, and I'm blown away by how many possessions they had where 4-5 guys touch the ball, only 1-2 of them even take a dribble, and they get an easy look from 3 or at the rim. It looks so simple....but it's the product of great coaching and a commitment to teamwork.

I wouldn't agree with the final choice, but I kinda do, on a fundamental level.

Why I think Kawhi's FMVP a bit much. Thought Ginobili, as always, elevated within the team dynamic.

Kblaze8855
08-01-2020, 12:25 PM
The spurs are up there but the same reasons you mentioned make me think of Birds Celtics too. Same almost over passing approach at times but with 2 guys you legit couldn’t contain when they did it wish to force the issue. Beautiful team ball with offensive options like Bird and Mchale in the tuck for when things get real? That’s how I’d want my team built.

ArbitraryWater
08-01-2020, 01:13 PM

A few points from me:

Another myth.

You should have known it was a myth when you mentioned the 08 Celtics, who's strongsuit was defense, and they arent close to GOAT level.

But your pick is a good one.

The '14 Spurs are the best ball movement team of all time.

I bet there are stats to back that up in terms of assists, passes per possession, passes before scoring, all at that elite offensive efficiency.

ralph_i_el
08-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Another myth.

You should have known it was a myth when you mentioned the 08 Celtics, who's strongsuit was defense, and they arent close to GOAT level.

But your pick is a good one.

The '14 Spurs are the best ball movement team of all time.

I bet there are stats to back that up in terms of assists, passes per possession, passes before scoring, all at that elite offensive efficiency.

Yeah, now that I look at some more stats, maybe I'm wrong on point #1

ralph_i_el
08-01-2020, 01:19 PM
The spurs are up there but the same reasons you mentioned make me think of Birds Celtics too. Same almost over passing approach at times but with 2 guys you legit couldn’t contain when they did it wish to force the issue. Beautiful team ball with offensive options like Bird and Mchale in the tuck for when things get real? That’s how I’d want my team built.

I thought of them too, but I never witnessed them. I was definitely waiting on someone to add them to the conversation though.

tpols
08-01-2020, 01:30 PM
The 2014 spurs had the teamwork, but not the talent. the main trio was old, and kawhi was baby. If you're gonna pick a GOAT offense it's going to have to be a team that combinesboth starpower and teamwork ala '10s Warriors, '80s or '00s Lakers, '80s Celtics, etc.

ArbitraryWater
08-01-2020, 01:33 PM
Yeah, now that I look at some more stats, maybe I'm wrong on point #1

Its the same in football.

That moniker of "offense wins games defense wins chips" whatever sounds romantic and appeals to the minds of many, but the league winners are more often a top 5 offense than a top 5 defense.

Better offenses are a better indicator of being good.

In almost all sports.

And its easy to see why. They're all scoring based, obviously.

In the Premier League since 1992/1993, the highest scoring team won the title 17/27 years aka 63% of the time (which equals to best offense, unlike in the NBA where turnovers are a thing).

The team with the lowest conceeded goals won 11 titles (sometimes the team could be both, obviously).

Goal differential much like SRS though, is an even better indicator, obviously.

tpols
08-01-2020, 01:33 PM
The 2017 Warriors had the 1st ranked offense and averaged 30 APG. (ball movement)

The 2014 Spurs had the 7th ranked offense and averaged 25 APG.

Warriors also had the top heavy MVP talent ~ Curry and Durant. The spurs have absolutely no case, statistical or contextual, over that team offensively.

ArbitraryWater
08-01-2020, 01:38 PM
The 2017 Warriors had the 1st ranked offense and averaged 30 APG. (ball movement)

Warriors also had the top heavy MVP talent ~ Curry and Durant. The spurs have absolutely no case, statistical or contextual, over that team offensively.

You're a fan of the eye test, right?

I don't see any team moving the ball as well and effectively as the 2014 Spurs.

And it culminated in their playoff performance where they had the highest net rating of any winner since the '01 Lakers.

tpols
08-01-2020, 01:40 PM
eye test on the dubs moving the ball?

:roll:

We've both seen these teams extensively and the warriors definitely moved the ball better. More passes, more team assists, more movement, better rate of scoring, etc. I cant believe you just questioned whether Golden State used to swing the rock and run GOAT motion offense... when it's entirely what they're known for.

3ball
08-01-2020, 01:45 PM
You're a fan of the eye test, right?

I don't see any team moving the ball as well and effectively as the 2014 Spurs.

And it culminated in their playoff performance where they had the highest net rating of any winner since the '01 Lakers.

Warriors didn't have to try as hard and could take their foot of the gas pedal

The Spurs were fossils and needed to get in a rhythm and play super-hard

1987_Lakers
08-01-2020, 01:55 PM
Although the Warriors were a great passing team they tended to turn the ball over at a high rate at times, but no team in history had the top heavy fire power that Golden State had. Their 3rd best scorer holds the NBA record for most points in a quarter and dropped 60 points in 3 quarters in another game. Let that sink in.

The 2014 Spurs were probably a better passing team, but as an overall offense the Warriors were better, they had guys who could create for themselves as well as being a great passing team.

ArbitraryWater
08-01-2020, 02:16 PM
Although the Warriors were a great passing team they tended to turn the ball over at a high rate at times, but no team in history had the top heavy fire power that Golden State had. Their 3rd best scorer holds the NBA record for most points in a quarter and dropped 60 points in 3 quarters in another game. Let that sink in.

The 2014 Spurs were probably a better passing team, but as an overall offense the Warriors were better, they had guys who could create for themselves as well as being a great passing team.

obviously the 17-18 warriors are goat offensive team, but 16 warriors had better ball movement

NBAGOAT
08-01-2020, 04:02 PM
i want to throw the suns in here anyway, likely 05 version since they scored well vs SA in the PS and had the talent with nash/stat/marion/joe johnson. It's not as beautiful team basketball as the spurs admittedly.

ArbitraryWater
08-01-2020, 04:12 PM
i want to throw the suns in here anyway, likely 05 version since they scored well vs SA in the PS and had the talent with nash/stat/marion/joe johnson. It's not as beautiful team basketball as the spurs admittedly.

yup deserve a mention. but really any version 05-07

ralph_i_el
08-01-2020, 04:21 PM

The Spurs played no player 30 minutes in the regular season and regularly rested their stars.

KD7
08-01-2020, 06:00 PM
The 2017 Cavs statistically had the greatest playoff offense ever

That team was loaded offensively. They smashed multiple scoring records as well that year in the playoffs

tpols
08-01-2020, 06:10 PM
The Spurs played no player 30 minutes in the regular season and regularly rested their stars.

And in the playoffs they barely got out of the first round vs an ancient dirk & monta ellis led Maverick team.

Meanwhile the Warriors just totally swept that entire playoff run effortlessly.

ArbitraryWater
08-01-2020, 06:33 PM
And in the playoffs they barely got out of the first round vs an ancient dirk & monta ellis led Maverick team.

Meanwhile the Warriors just totally swept that entire playoff run effortlessly.

West was stacked and the Mavs were very good

They smashed every team after, even with the 1R they still recorded the highest playoff plus/minus since 2001.

riggyrich
08-01-2020, 06:43 PM
How is this a question? The second KD joined the warriors they became the best offensive team "By Far" I don't get how that would even be a debate. The team was dropping 150 pts a game lol.

Roundball_Rock
08-01-2020, 06:46 PM
It is hard to say since the game changed so much. How do we compare the 17' Warriors to the 90's Bulls or 87' Lakers, etc. I think you would have to assess their superiority relative to the leagues & and top teams at the time.