PDA

View Full Version : Melo putting Harden in his pocket

PeroAntic
08-05-2020, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVIMgsWVzsc

Holy shit. And that jumper in the end shows the shape he is in. Hes proven everybody wrong.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Still amazes me how people actually convinced themselves he shouldn’t be in the nba anymore....almost 2 years ago. A sharply declined former star just breaks people’s mind. It’s really as if they can’t get their minds around the fact that you can be a role player for a decade by barely playing d and just occasionally scoring 12-15 points.

Most of the nba is people you don’t know and Melo was never worse than those people at basketball.

ImKobe
08-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Still amazes me how people actually convinced themselves he shouldn’t be in the nba anymore....almost 2 years ago. A sharply declined former star just breaks people’s mind. It’s really as if they can’t get their minds around the fact that you can be a role player for a decade by barely playing d and just occasionally scoring 12-15 points.

Most of the nba is people you don’t know and Melo was never worse than those people at basketball.

Agreed, but the perception at the time was that Melo wasn't willing to play in a limited role/come off the bench, and he wasn't a good defensive player either. It's great that he took it more seriously and got into better shape.

rawimpact
08-05-2020, 09:40 AM
Holy shit. And that jumper in the end shows the shape he is in. Hes proven everybody wrong.

He's not proving anybody wrong, everyone already knew Melo obviously has the skillset to still be in the league. He was being blackballed because he refused to take a back seat to better players (and his views on coming off the bench). He has also always struggled staying in shape during the offseason which is not the case now.

This was a good wake up call

tontoz
08-05-2020, 10:18 AM
5-14 for 15 pts in 36 minutes :bowdown:

imdaman99
08-05-2020, 10:36 AM
Melo was always a clutch shooter. He better be able to hit a wide open 3 with 50 seconds left or he is useless for a team with Dame and CJ, where teams will try to force others to beat them. I watched their game the other night when he hit 2 straight 3s in the final minute but missed the game winner :lol but he still hit the other 2. And they ended up winning in OT :cheers:

BigtimeNBAFan
08-05-2020, 11:04 AM

Pretty much. I get people dogging on Melo for different things, but the people that said he doesn't belong in the league were crazy.

BigtimeNBAFan
08-05-2020, 11:05 AM
5-14 for 15 pts in 36 minutes :bowdown:

He had more rebounds than anyone on the Rockets. If you are going by FG% I guess we should believe 6-19 Lillard doesn't belong in the league.

If you think Melo wasn't clutch down the stretch, you didn't watch the game.

Shogon
08-05-2020, 11:09 AM

He shouldn't be in the league.

Of course, he will still have his moments... I love how every time he has one of his moments, people feel the need to post this shit like "SEE!! I TOLD YOU!!" like it was ever an argument that he couldn't be NBA level in spurts, lol.

RRR3
08-05-2020, 11:13 AM

Of course, he will still have his moments... I love how every time he has one of his moments, people feel the need to post this shit like "SEE!! I TOLD YOU!!" like it was ever an argument that he couldn't be NBA level in spurts, lol.
I just looked it up and he has a -3.7 BPM. NEGATIVE 3.7. How on earth is he starting? I watched the Blazers the other day and he is legit horrendous on both ends of the floor. He could be somewhat valuable on offense if he stopped ISOing for contested midrange shots and just spotted up for 3s but he refuses to do that.

tontoz
08-05-2020, 11:25 AM
He had more rebounds than anyone on the Rockets. If you are going by FG% I guess we should believe 6-19 Lillard doesn't belong in the league.

If you think Melo wasn't clutch down the stretch, you didn't watch the game.

Nobody is making a Dame thread saying how good he was when he goes 6-19.

This is a Melo sympathy thread. This was not a thread worthy performance.

Shogon
08-05-2020, 11:32 AM
I just looked it up and he has a -3.7 BPM. NEGATIVE 3.7. How on earth is he starting? I watched the Blazers the other day and he is legit horrendous on both ends of the floor. He could be somewhat valuable on offense if he stopped ISOing for contested midrange shots and just spotted up for 3s but he refuses to do that.

Bingo.

NBAGOAT
08-05-2020, 11:46 AM

The blazers literally have no one else. Whiteside and melo are two of the more overvalued guys I’ve seen in awhile. If they really were decent nba players, the blazers would be over .500. They’re putting up stats on a bad team propped up by dame and Cj(and Cj isn’t even that great).

Kblaze8855
08-05-2020, 11:57 AM

Because those numbers only matter to the internet and have little or nothing to do with talent evaluation.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2020, 11:59 AM

A good 150 people in the nba don’t even have their moments. But what that means seems truly lost on some.

NBAGOAT
08-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Because those numbers only matter to the internet and have little or nothing to do with talent evaluation.

talent doesnt mean good and that's part of evaluation too. I wont go as far to say melo doesnt belong in the league but teams would rather have many of those 150 guys who dont have moments because it's just more valuable to play defense and take a few corner 3's a game. I'll say it I think 30/30 teams without thought would take someone like jamychal green over melo.

Marchesk
08-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Problem is former superstars aren't always willing to take those roles, and that was the rap against Melo. It's not like teams were lining up to offer him a contract.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2020, 12:19 PM
talent doesnt mean good and that's part of evaluation too. I wont go as far to say melo doesnt belong in the league but teams would rather have many of those 150 guys who dont have moments because it's just more valuable to play defense and take a few corner 3's a game. I'll say it I think 30/30 teams without thought would take someone like jamychal green over melo.

And both could last in the nba for an entire career as exactly what they are.

Players played 12 years while never being anything Melo isn’t today.

tpols
08-05-2020, 12:44 PM
i missed it last night, but shit... melo did the same thing against the grizz last week and that was a do or die game.

tpols
08-05-2020, 12:46 PM
but it is true, while he is clutch, in the normal flow of the game he's not providing good impact. His efficiencies are horrible.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Put Harden on his wallet.

Good defensive play there, followed with a dagger three bomb. Want to see if he'll show up in the playoffs.

iamgine
08-05-2020, 01:02 PM

Um, most people thought he couldn't be an effective starter anymore and should play bench role. He shouldn't be in the NBA if he wanted a starting role with starting salary in a competitive team.

Apparently teams agreed. Houston cut him after 10 games. Portland signed him to non guaranteed minimum contract.

Kblaze8855
08-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Count the starters on competitive teams then count how many people are consistently in the nba. See if you spot the difference.

Melo is now what most of the nba is. A rotation player.

tontoz
08-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Count the starters on competitive teams then count how many people are consistently in the nba. See if you spot the difference.

Melo couldn't accept being a role player until he was out of the league for awhile. He laughed when asked if he would come off the bench in OKC.

His attitude is a big reason why he was out of the league.

Carbine
08-05-2020, 02:04 PM
I don't think Melo is a player I'd want on a championship aspiration team.

He's a negative player, IMO.

Facepalm
08-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Agreed, but the perception at the time was that Melo wasn't willing to play in a limited role/come off the bench, and he wasn't a good defensive player either. It's great that he took it more seriously and got into better shape.

This. If he had the Vince Carter attitude with the Rockets he would have been successful earlier

iamgine
08-05-2020, 05:41 PM

His skillset doesn't match a rotation player. That was/is the problem.

AirFederer
08-05-2020, 05:50 PM
What about his talent is relevant when his production over a season is «negative»?

Axe
08-05-2020, 08:04 PM
They narrowly won against the bucks recently but couldn't get past over the blazers yesterday?