PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Rank Carmelo All-time?

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2020, 08:08 PM
Here is his resume for reference:

10x all-star
6x all-NBA (2 second teams, 4 third teams)
Third in MVP in 13', two top 10 MVP finishes
13' scoring champ.

25/7/3 from 07'-17'. He was an elite scorer--1st in scoring 1x, 2nd 2x, third 2x.

His team success was poor--but the Nuggets did make the WCF in 09' and the Knicks got to Game 7 of the ECSF in 12', as high water marks for him.

Advanced stats do not like him. He has two top 20 BPM seasons (10th, 12th) and three top 20 VORP seasons (7th, 13th, 19th).

A related question: if he wins a ring as Portland's third option (obviously extremely unlikely) does that move him up at all in your eyes?

HylianNightmare
08-05-2020, 08:21 PM
If Portland wins he rockets up

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2020, 08:49 PM
If Portland wins he rockets up

I see what you did there. :lol

WhiteKyrie
08-05-2020, 08:51 PM
Higher than Pippen

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Higher than Pippen

Obviously that is a given for MJ stans since Pippen and LeBron are the WOAT's. MJ still 1-9, doe. :cheers:

Smoke117
08-05-2020, 08:59 PM
Not high enough to bother thinking about it.

Marchesk
08-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Would be higher up if Pistons had drafted him. Should also have a ROTY award.

Lion's pride
08-05-2020, 09:02 PM
I have Melo as one of the most overrated players in history despite some good individual accolades..

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2020, 09:04 PM
He is top 100 at minimum. Slam had him at #95 in their top 100 in 2018.

kawhileonard2
08-05-2020, 11:44 PM
He is top 100 at minimum. Slam had him at #95 in their top 100 in 2018.

That seems really low.

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2020, 11:46 PM
That seems really low.

Where would you put him? ESPN only listed the top 74 but he didn't make it. Gilmore, Mutumbo, Lillard, Lanier, Parker were 74-70 (in that order), for some context.

ralph_i_el
08-06-2020, 02:07 AM
There are a lot of guys in history who were just scorers that don't get remembered by casual fans. I think Melo will be remembered. Players respect him a lot. He might not have great team success, but for about 10 years he was guaranteed to take you to the postseason if he was healthy, purely because he raised the floor of an offense so much. When in doubt, you could always dump it to Melo.

He didn't try to chase rings or team up with stars. He had no chance in the era of his prime. Go watch that '09 Nuggets team in the playoffs (a ton of their full games are on YouTube). Melo could just focus on being a scoring machine as part of a team that was really led by Chauncey Billups. It was a fun team that covered all the bases of what a "Great" team needed, and Melo fit right in.

"Guy who can score 1-on-1 on demand" is a role, but we rarely talk about those guys as role players (unless they are a 6th man). There's a lot of pressure for players like that to be leaders....but why? Melo was at his best when he was part of a well rounded team, and he was just asked to score from all levels and in all manners. Spot up, off the dribble, driving, or in the post, Melo had it. Why can't he just be a great scorer, and not a disappointment? Why did we put that pressure on him in the first place?

SouBeachTalents
08-06-2020, 02:16 AM
Definitely not high enough to put a specific number on it. Off the top of my head if I had to say, maybe top 70 :confusedshrug:

HBK_Kliq_2
08-06-2020, 02:32 AM
I would say he's close to Pau Gasol ranking 60-70 range.

Phoenix
08-06-2020, 02:36 AM
If not for that odd transition between New York and Portland( as far as the OKC season and Rockets failed experiment), I think ESPN may have put him in the most recent top 74. It's like said above, at the point he is you're not putting a ton of thought into a specific range. I think top 70 is about right.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-06-2020, 02:42 AM
Where would you put him? ESPN only listed the top 74 but he didn't make it. Gilmore, Mutumbo, Lillard, Lanier, Parker were 74-70 (in that order), for some context.

Tony Parker is definitely not better then Carmello Anthony. Put Anthony on spurs 2003-2012 and they win even more rings. Parker was always inefficient even as a 2nd or 3rd wheel. Anthony had that WCF run in 2009 as the franchise player. Parker was always hiding behind Duncan, Manu, Kawhi and so we could never truly evaluate him.

Phoenix
08-06-2020, 02:47 AM

That list was really odd. I remember at one point they just rang off Tmac, Pierce, Vince Carter, Ray Allen one after another. It was almost like 'we have no idea where to rank these guys, so just lump em all together and keep it moving'. I think after the top 25 or so, maybe 30, you're pissing in the win trying to rank guys.

ImKobe
08-06-2020, 02:50 AM
Tony Parker is definitely not better then Carmello Anthony. Put Carmella on spurs 2003-2012 and they win even more rings. Parker was always inefficient even as a 2nd or 3rd wheel. Carmella had that WCF run in 2009 as the franchise player. Parker was always hiding behind Duncan, Manu, Kawhi and so we could never truly evaluate him.

His '09 run definitely is underrated.

Parker is underrated too, he carried the Spurs offensively when Manu and Duncan weren't as great. Unlucky he had that hamstring injury in the 2013 Finals.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-06-2020, 03:05 AM
His '09 run definitely is underrated.

Parker is underrated too, he carried the Spurs offensively when Manu and Duncan weren't as great. Unlucky he had that hamstring injury in the 2013 Finals.

2009 carmello took Lakers to 6 games which was more then what Dwight's magic took them in the finals.

What did tony Parker do? He's an overrated piece of shit that was always carrying Duncan's bags then Manu's bags and then Kawhi's bags. 15PPG on 47% TS in 2013 finals hahhaha way to carry.

bobopenguin
08-06-2020, 03:08 AM
top of all time #74, some number no one cares about.

SATAN
08-06-2020, 04:17 AM
some number no one cares about.

This

Whoah10115
08-06-2020, 09:09 AM
Think he did himself a disservice coming to Knicks. He perfected his game too much.

He was a great player, tho overrated. Also think he statted caring about his numbers too much while he still had Billups.

ImKobe
08-06-2020, 09:27 AM
2009 carmello took Lakers to 6 games which was more then what Dwight's magic took them in the finals.

What did tony Parker do? He's an overrated piece of shit that was always carrying Duncan's bags then Manu's bags and then Kawhi's bags. 15PPG on 47% TS in 2013 finals hahhaha way to carry.

Parker was their best offensive player for most of the seasons from 07-13. He got injured in the middle of the 2013 Finals. Hit the dagger in Game 1, had the amazing Game 5 that put the Spurs up 3 - 2, tied the game and then took the lead with 58 seconds to go in that Game 6, then Manu & Kawhi both brick FTs and the rest is history. Man, Lebron almost single-handedly blew that game & series with the most unclutch sequence in any Finals elimination game I've seen, and they bailed him out. They ****ing bailed him out.

Roundball_Rock
08-06-2020, 10:38 AM
There are a lot of guys in history who were just scorers that don't get remembered by casual fans. I think Melo will be remembered. Players respect him a lot.

I think he will be remembered for the next 20 years or so--he was a big name and as you noted players respect him--but what about 40-50 years from now? Does he become another Dantley?

"Guy who can score 1-on-1 on demand" is a role, but we rarely talk about those guys as role players (unless they are a 6th man). There's a lot of pressure for players like that to be leaders....but why? Melo was at his best when he was part of a well rounded team, and he was just asked to score from all levels and in all manners. Spot up, off the dribble, driving, or in the post, Melo had it. Why can't he just be a great scorer, and not a disappointment?

I think he had a good career. He probably isn't a top 10 AT SF but he is right outside of it if he isn't.

I remember at one point they just rang off Tmac, Pierce, Vince Carter, Ray Allen one after another.

Allen they had 56th, not far behind 49th place Miller so that was fair. T Mac is a unique case because his peak was so high but he didn't have good longevity and zero team success.

Pierce was #54, with Worthy #51. I think that is fair. I view them as comparable--although I would put Pierce ahead of Worthy.

The issue is the only thing that his teams ever did close to that was 13' so it gets written off as an outlier, plus the sense that Billups was the main driver of it. It also hurt Carmelo that his team got better after they traded him.

I am surprised people are blowing him off to some extent. There is a PG thread up and PG is getting a lot of hype as an ATG there. Carmelo has a better resume than PG to date, even if you cut both off at 28-29 years old (since Carmelo didn't do much after that, like most players).

ImKobe
08-06-2020, 10:47 AM
I think he will be remembered for the next 20 years or so--he was a big name and as you noted players respect him--but what about 40-50 years from now? Does he become another Dantley?

I think he had a good career. He probably isn't a top 10 AT SF but he is right outside of it if he isn't.

Allen they had 56th, not far behind 49th place Miller so that was fair. T Mac is a unique case because his peak was so high but he didn't have good longevity and zero team success.

Pierce was #54, with Worthy #51. I think that is fair. I view them as comparable--although I would put Pierce ahead of Worthy.

The issue is the only thing that his teams ever did close to that was 13' so it gets written off as an outlier, plus the sense that Billups was the main driver of it. It also hurt Carmelo that his team got better after they traded him.

I am surprised people are blowing him off to some extent. There is a PG thread up and PG is getting a lot of hype as an ATG there. Carmelo has a better resume than PG to date, even if you cut both off at 28-29 years old (since Carmelo didn't do much after that, like most players).

No one hyped PG as an all-time player, not once did anyone put PG in the top 50 all-time. PG as a player is more talented and with a higher ceiling than Pippen, his career is nowhere near close right now.

Xiao Yao You
08-06-2020, 10:53 AM

Wasn't as good as Dantley just more hyped

Manny98
08-06-2020, 05:58 PM
Somewhere in between Dominique Wilkins & Paul Pierce

AirFederer
08-06-2020, 06:07 PM
Top 200

Marchesk
08-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Or Alex English who is even less remembered.

LukeWalton
08-06-2020, 07:18 PM
between Jack Sikma and Roy Orbison

Xiao Yao You
08-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Or Alex English who is even less remembered.

I think of him more with Carmelo who was also an overrated high scoring 3.

Whoah10115
08-06-2020, 11:25 PM
I think of him more with Carmelo who was also an overrated high scoring 3.

Would definitely take English over Dantley.

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Would definitely take English over Dantley.

I meant to say I think of Carmelo more like Dominique. Overrated high scoring 3's. Brain fart I guess

warriorfan
08-07-2020, 08:37 AM
There are a lot of guys in history who were just scorers that don't get remembered by casual fans. I think Melo will be remembered. Players respect him a lot. He might not have great team success, but for about 10 years he was guaranteed to take you to the postseason if he was healthy, purely because he raised the floor of an offense so much. When in doubt, you could always dump it to Melo.

He didn't try to chase rings or team up with stars. He had no chance in the era of his prime. Go watch that '09 Nuggets team in the playoffs (a ton of their full games are on YouTube). Melo could just focus on being a scoring machine as part of a team that was really led by Chauncey Billups. It was a fun team that covered all the bases of what a "Great" team needed, and Melo fit right in.

"Guy who can score 1-on-1 on demand" is a role, but we rarely talk about those guys as role players (unless they are a 6th man). There's a lot of pressure for players like that to be leaders....but why? Melo was at his best when he was part of a well rounded team, and he was just asked to score from all levels and in all manners. Spot up, off the dribble, driving, or in the post, Melo had it. Why can't he just be a great scorer, and not a disappointment? Why did we put that pressure on him in the first place?

People always want more.

Whoah10115
08-07-2020, 09:30 AM
I meant to say I think of Carmelo more like Dominique. Overrated high scoring 3's. Brain fart I guess

Well I could accept someone thinking Wilkins was overrated, but he's unquestionably a great player and a hall-of-famer.

Carmelo is some kind of great, especially when he really cares. But even tho the Hall lets in a lot, in my generalized idea of what it should be, Melo isn't a hall-of-famer...that said they consider college play and he's one of the best freshmen ever. Was a great run.

bizil
08-07-2020, 02:27 PM

For starters, how is EITHER ONE overrated??? Nique at one point finished 2nd in MVP behind Bird in the Golden Era NBA. 7 time All NBA, 9 time All Star, 2nd most career points among SF's EVER and arguably the best in game dunker ever. NOBODY claimed he was better than Magic, MJ, Bird, Barkley, Hakeem, etc. BUT at one point Nique HANDS DOWN was a top 10 player in the league. And in the Golden Era NBA, was one of the leagues most marketable stars. The NBA All Star Game, Dunk Contests, NBA home videos, etc. were BUILT AROUND MJ, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Chuck, and Nique. Those were Stern's GUYS to make to entities a big deal. So not only was Nique a great player. BUT he was one of the true rock star type players in the league. IF ANYTHING, Nique is underrated! And if u don't believe, hear this from the GOAT himself!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUxPXr72Z0

bizil
08-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Well I could accept someone thinking Wilkins was overrated, but he's unquestionably a great player and a hall-of-famer.

Carmelo is some kind of great, especially when he really cares. But even tho the Hall lets in a lot, in my generalized idea of what it should be, Melo isn't a hall-of-famer...that said they consider college play and he's one of the best freshmen ever. Was a great run.

How exactly is Nique OVERRATED??? He was never regarded as the best SF in the world. Hell he didn't even make 50 greatest players. WHICH HE SHOULD HAVE! He was 7th all time in career points (#1 among SF's in NBA history) at the time. He didn't make 1st ballot HOF either. WHICH HE SHOULD HAVE! Hell if anything Nique is UNDERRATED!

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Like Carmelo he was talked about as one of the best players in the game when he played when in reality they were just high scoring small forwards like many others. No one talked about Dantley, English and others in the same breath as Wilkens when in reality they were certainly comparable. Overrated and over hyped like Carmelo.

bizil
08-07-2020, 02:59 PM
Like Carmelo he was talked about as one of the best players in the game when he played when in reality they were just high scoring small forwards like many others. No one talked about Dantley, English and others in the same breath as Wilkens when in reality they were certainly comparable. Overrated and over hyped like Carmelo.

You didn't answer my question! WHAT MAKES Dominique overrated and overhyped! And what's wrong with 28-30 PPG and 7-9 RPG during a legend's prime. Nique's LONGEVITY being a great player is VERY RARE! The only SF to be a better player at 34 years of age was Lebron. There's a DIFFERENT between not liking a style of player AND being overrated. It's TWO different things. Nique being regarded as the #2 SF in the world behind Bird at times DOESN'T make him overatted. It was CERTAINLY a valid argument.

bizil
08-07-2020, 03:19 PM
One of the funniest things I see on this sight is when people TALK DOWN on great scoring SF's like a Melo or Nique. Their production SPEAKS for themselves. I get being critical of players. Or not liking a player's style. BUT what PROPS do Melo and Nique get that makes them OVERRATED???

If you aren't a fan of a Nique or Melo, just say u AREN'T a FAN of great scoring SF's who AREN'T great all around players. Or u can say it's harder to build around a Nique or Melo that a Bron, Bird, Magic, or MJ.

Nique and Melo get SHITTED on so much that I don't see how either is OVERRATED! Both are great players whose calling card was scoring. Neither has the blend of great scoring AND great all around ability like an MJ, Bron, Kobe, Magic, or Bird. But what about the things Melo and Nique DID WELL! What about all those ALL NBA teams and All Star games they made? What about the PROPS their peers give them! The guys like MJ, Magic, and Bird ALL SAID Nique should have been top 50. MJ himself said Nique gets shafted by THE OUTSIDE WORLD! But IN THE NBA CIRCLE Nique was always regarded as one of the elite players!

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2020, 03:38 PM
You didn't answer my question! WHAT MAKES Dominique overrated and overhyped! And what's wrong with 28-30 PPG and 7-9 RPG during a legend's prime. Nique's LONGEVITY being a great player is VERY RARE! The only SF to be a better player at 34 years of age was Lebron. There's a DIFFERENT between not liking a style of player AND being overrated. It's TWO different things. Nique being regarded as the #2 SF in the world behind Bird at times DOESN'T make him overatted. It was CERTAINLY a valid argument.

I did answer it. He was hyped as one of the greats when he played when it's arguable as to rather he was better than Dantley or English just to name a couple. High scoring small forward not one of the best players in the league.

Roundball_Rock
08-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Carmelo is an automatic HOF'er. No one with 10 all-star teams/6x all-NBA is going to miss the HOF.

Whoah10115
08-07-2020, 04:45 PM
How exactly is Nique OVERRATED??? He was never regarded as the best SF in the world. Hell he didn't even make 50 greatest players. WHICH HE SHOULD HAVE! He was 7th all time in career points (#1 among SF's in NBA history) at the time. He didn't make 1st ballot HOF either. WHICH HE SHOULD HAVE! Hell if anything Nique is UNDERRATED!

Not sure where you saw me say he's overrated.

Lebron23
08-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Carmelo is an automatic HOF'er. No one with 10 all-star teams/6x all-NBA is going to miss the HOF.

And he won an olympic gold medal 3x and an ncaa championship.

bizil
08-07-2020, 04:55 PM
I did answer it. He was hyped as one of the greats when he played when it's arguable as to rather he was better than Dantley or English just to name a couple. High scoring small forward not one of the best players in the league.

LMAO!!!! It was NO HYPE!!!! Nique, Dantley, and English WERE ALL GREAT PLAYERS!!!! FLAT OUT, POINT BLANK, and BOTTOM LINE! There are levels to greatness. And all three of those guys were GREAT PLAYERS!

And WHAT PROPS has Nique gotten BY THOSE in the media that make him overrated?? IF ANYTHING, the media were the MAIN CULPRITS of making Nique UNDERRATED if anything. That's why I asked WHAT PROPS has Nique gotten that make him overrated SPECIFICALLY! He was FOR DAMN SURE a great player. That's bottom line shit! Just saying he's great player DOESN'T make him overrated.

If the the narrative was Nique was better than Larry Bird, I would say HELL YA Nique is overrated. But that was never brought up by anybody who truly knows the game. BUT Nique had the alpha scoring ability AND mentality on par with Bird and MJ. And he could overpower guys at his position like those two WHEN HE CHOSE TO. Bird because he was damn near 6'10 and 230 pounds at the SF. And Nique and MJ could over power you with their freak athletic ability.

If one were to say English or Dantley were better than Nique, I would easily disagree. BUT I wouldn't have a huge argument over it either. Because AT LEAST production wise, those guys were just as good. Just think Nique has some physical intangibles at the SF spot that really NOBODY HAS in terms of physical dominance from a VERTICAL STANDPOINT! In a sense, he's was like THE SHAQ of SF's when it came to how physically dominant he was in the paint off vertical hops!

bizil
08-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Not sure where you saw me say he's overrated.

You said you could accept somebody saying Nique was overrated. Thing is I CAN'T accept that! Because he was never seen on that Bird or Dr. J type of level at the SF. Nique had the scoring ability on par. And he was a very good to great rebounding SF. But he wasn't as complete a player as Larry or Doc. That was the difference.

So if this is the case, I don't see how Nique is overrated. Nique NEVER GOT PROPS at such a level to where he could be overrated. IF ANYTHING he's underrated!

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2020, 05:07 PM
LMAO!!!! It was NO HYPE!!!! Nique, Dantley, and English WERE ALL GREAT PLAYERS!!!! FLAT OUT, POINT BLANK, and BOTTOM LINE! There are levels to greatness. And all three of those guys were GREAT PLAYERS!

And WHAT PROPS has Nique gotten BY THOSE in the media that make him overrated?? IF ANYTHING, the media were the MAIN CULPRITS of making Nique UNDERRATED if anything. That's why I asked WHAT PROPS has Nique gotten that make him overrated SPECIFICALLY! He was FOR DAMN SURE a great player. That's bottom line shit! Just saying he's great player DOESN'T make him overrated.

If the the narrative was Nique was better than Larry Bird, I would say HELL YA Nique is overrated. But that was never brought up by anybody who truly knows the game. BUT Nique had the alpha scoring ability AND mentality on par with Bird and MJ. And he could overpower guys at his position like those two WHEN HE CHOSE TO. Bird because he was damn near 6'10 and 230 pounds at the SF. And Nique and MJ could over power you with their freak athletic ability.

If one were to say English or Dantley were better than Nique, I would easily disagree. BUT I wouldn't have a huge argument over it either. Because AT LEAST production wise, those guys were just as good. Just think Nique has some physical intangibles at the SF spot that really NOBODY HAS in terms of physical dominance from a VERTICAL STANDPOINT! In a sense, he's was like THE SHAQ of SF's when it came to how physically dominant he was in the paint off vertical hops!

You just made my point. You put him ahead of those guys because of the way he scored. Dantley was arguably the greatest low post scorer inch for inch ever who cares rather it was on the highlite reels or not. Dantley and English were never talked about with the best players in the game. Wilkens and Carmelo were. He was hyped and overrated because of highlites. The media did that. Not sure how he could be considered underrated. He cried when he wasn't on Dream Team I which he didn't deserve. Pretty much the same whining bullshit Carmelo has done. All were high scoring small forwards not among the best players in the game when they played. He certainly wasn't the scorer MJ was. Might have been a better scorer than Bird but certainly was no where near him as a player.

Roundball_Rock
And he won an olympic gold medal 3x and an ncaa championship.

True. He isn't first ballot but he is a lock to make the HOF.

Whoah10115

There's no comparing Dantley or even English to Wilkins.

English was, from all the reading I've done, considered a great player. He wasn't in the Wilkins class, but he was a great player and had more impact than Dantley, who was a player first focused on getting his. Carmelo became that, but wasn't always.

There's not much reason for your Wilkins take. He made the Hawks a 50 win team, competing every year with truly great teams. He wasn't a stat padder or avolume scorer. He was a guy who went after the other team and who offset all your defenses. He was a great player and there's no argument against that.

Who was he ranked over to be considered overrated?

bizil
08-07-2020, 05:21 PM
You just made my point. You put him ahead of those guys because of the way he scored. Dantley was arguably the greatest low post scorer inch for inch ever who cares rather it was on the highlite reels or not. Dantley and English were never talked about with the best players in the game. Wilkens and Carmelo were. He was hyped and overrated because of highlites. The media did that. Not sure how he could be considered underrated. He cried when he wasn't on Dream Team I which he didn't deserve. Pretty much the same whining bullshit Carmelo has done. All were high scoring small forwards not among the best players in the game when they played. He certainly wasn't the scorer MJ was. Might have been a better scorer than Bird but certainly was no where near him as a player.

U gotta learn how to comprehend shit! YES I prefer Nique to Dantley and English. BUT when did I EVER SAY English and AD were OVERRATED!!! All three were great players. BUT if I had to choose, I would take Dominique. And I told you why!!!

And EVERY GREAT PLAYER isn't going to be highlight reel on Sportscenter. Or have the star power to draw in casual fans. U can't knock Nique FOR HAVING THAT in his bag. EVERY LEAGUE picks a group of guys to market to get the casual fanbase. It's CALLED CHARISMA!!! So NO THE MEDIA DIDN'T DO IT FIRST!! David Stern DID IT!!! And from there, the media also joined in!

BUT students of the game know who the great players are ACROSS THE BOARD! Even as a kid, I knew about the rock star great players. And I also knew the great players who were UNDER THE RADAR of the national casual NBA fanbase.

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2020, 05:36 PM
There's no comparing Dantley or even English to Wilkins.

English was, from all the reading I've done, considered a great player. He wasn't in the Wilkins class, but he was a great player and had more impact than Dantley, who was a player first focused on getting his. Carmelo became that, but wasn't always.

There's not much reason for your Wilkins take. He made the Hawks a 50 win team, competing every year with truly great teams. He wasn't a stat padder or avolume scorer. He was a guy who went after the other team and who offset all your defenses. He was a great player and there's no argument against that.

Who was he ranked over to be considered overrated?

Dantley got more assists than Wilkins as did English. Averaged 5 a game one year. He carried the worst franchise in to the league to the division title and their first of 20 straight playoff berths. Improving by 15 wins. One of 4 guys at the time to have 800 made FT's in a season. 10th all time. Leading the league 5 times. Scoring champ twice. Led league in offensive win shares 4 years in a row. Led twice in offensive plus/minus. Led in FTA 3 years. Led in win shares once as well as per 48. 1st in player efficiency once. Led in offensive rating twice. Got traded at the top of his game because the franchise preferred their crappy coach to their franchse player or the numbers would be even greater.

Dominique averaged slightly more over his career on a much lower FG%. He did hit some 3's. Dominique averaged 1 more rebound a game while being a half a foot taller. Dantley's best season on the boards was better. Wilkins led the league in scoring once and the only other things he ever led in was taking and missing shots and usage. Looking at the numbers I see no argument for him over the real AD.

English also shot much better than Dominique but no where near AD but didn't score as much as either. He was the better FT shooter but they all were good there Dantley was just one of the best ever at getting there. About the same as Dantley on the boards. Led the league in FG's made 3 years. Points twice and 1 scoring title. Led in offensive plus/minus once. Denver played at a much higher pace I'm sure too.

A quick look at the numbers with the advanced stats we didn't have back in the day Dantley was easily the best of the 3 and than probably English. Dominique got the accolades but wasn't as good

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2020, 05:37 PM
U gotta learn how to comprehend shit! YES I prefer Nique to Dantley and English. BUT when did I EVER SAY English and AD were OVERRATED!!! All three were great players. BUT if I had to choose, I would take Dominique. And I told you why!!!

And EVERY GREAT PLAYER isn't going to be highlight reel on Sportscenter. Or have the star power to draw in casual fans. U can't knock Nique FOR HAVING THAT in his bag. EVERY LEAGUE picks a group of guys to market to get the casual fanbase. It's CALLED CHARISMA!!! So NO THE MEDIA DIDN'T DO IT FIRST!! David Stern DID IT!!! And from there, the media also joined in!

BUT students of the game know who the great players are ACROSS THE BOARD! Even as a kid, I knew about the rock star great players. And I also knew the great players who were UNDER THE RADAR of the national casual NBA fanbase.

apparently you didn't if you think Wilkins was a rock star

72-10
08-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Since he offers nothing defensively even at the height advantage of 6-8 it's hard to say he cracks the top 70. It's hard to say he knows a lot about the game.

AirBonner
08-07-2020, 07:33 PM
I feel is a tier below Pierce. Paul has more memorable playoff games against superstars and his fmvp pushes him over the top

houston
08-08-2020, 02:54 AM
He at least top 100 player all-time