PDA

View Full Version : Can Ivica Zubac become the next Marc Gasol defensively?

Clippersfan86
08-07-2020, 12:47 AM
The guy just has huge impact on both ends. He's #2 in rim defense for qualified players. #1 in screens leading to scores (per minute+possession), #1 in the NBA in offensive rebounding rate. So you have a monster on the glass, rim defense and setting screens. He doesn't have Gasol's offensive touch and passing, but he's a WAY better rebounder. Do you think defensively he can become that type of elite, versatile paint defender? He's only 22 years old.

15/15/2 blocks PER 36 player basically the last two years.

Tonight he had 21/15 in 24 minutes. Last game 18/12. Lakers literally gave us this kid for Mike Muscala.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-07-2020, 01:12 AM
Yeah he has been looking great with the extra minutes during the bubble. His rim protection is impressive, even when he doesn't block the shot he still usually puts the player in an awkward position. I can see a 13/13 type guy for sure if Doc gives him the minutes. The only question I have about his game is can Zubac be a lockdown 1 on 1 defender though? Because that would come in handy vs Anthony Davis or Jokic. You see Marc locking up Embiid.

The problem with minutes is Doc is so stuck on Harrell. 7 foot big men still work in today's league, marc gasol this season is in every raptors best net lineup. Its all about getting minutes for Zubac.

On the other side of things, I like Harrell around for his 3rd option scoring as an insurance policy when George doesn't have it going. So in a perfect world, Harrell/Zubac would both get around 25MPG. Doc just always loves having a shooter next to one of them, so I'm not sure that will happen or not.

LukeWalton
08-07-2020, 04:11 AM
yes, Zubacca looks just like Marc when he was young

oldtimer28
08-07-2020, 05:07 AM
I don't understand the trade/unpopularity then.

Is it because he cannot shoot.

P.S not impressed with his defence from my eye test.

HylianNightmare
08-07-2020, 06:12 AM
Yeah dudes got a long successful career ahead of him big, hands, high IQ stays within himself. Love players like him

fourkicks44
08-07-2020, 09:16 AM
The guy just has huge impact on both ends. He's #2 in rim defense for qualified players. #1 in screens leading to scores (per minute+possession), #1 in the NBA in offensive rebounding rate. So you have a monster on the glass, rim defense and setting screens. He doesn't have Gasol's offensive touch and passing, but he's a WAY better rebounder. Do you think defensively he can become that type of elite, versatile paint defender? He's only 22 years old.

15/15/2 blocks PER 36 player basically the last two years.

Tonight he had 21/15 in 24 minutes. Last game 18/12. Lakers literally gave us this kid for Mike Muscala.

That Muscala trade still blows my mind.

I'm on the Zubac bandwagon.

Kid is pretty good. Ain't never gonna be an All-Star but will be a starter in the league for many years to come.

r0drig0lac
08-07-2020, 09:41 AM
I don't think so, but he is young, so who knows

iamgine
08-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Is he better than Harrell?

rawimpact
08-07-2020, 10:38 AM
He has the potential (at best) of David West which really isn't a bad ceiling.

ronniec
08-07-2020, 01:25 PM
He is still young and raw, so really can't tell his ceiling.
In the meantime, Clippers just need him to be a 10/10 and that would be enough to rotate with Harrell.
Sure he will improve by playing with KL and PG

Clippersfan86
08-07-2020, 01:35 PM

NOTHING like David West. He's a legit 7 footer barefoot and his archetype is a defensive anchor/rebounder/screener. West is a pick and pop big who can defend some.

Not saying he will be better necessarily, just that they aren't similar at all.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Is he better than Harrell?

In a vacuum they are similar impact wise. Harrell for offense, Zu for defense. Thing is Harrell's play is a lot easier to replace. Zubac is elite at going vertical on D and affecting a ton of shots. His chemistry with Kawhi is insane. His screens may be the best in the NBA. He actually doesn't block all that many, but like Gasol he ALTERS a ton

ArbitraryWater
08-07-2020, 01:55 PM

Lol what? West wasn‘t a rim protector / shot blocker. He doesn‘t even qualify as inside presence.

Awkward take

rawimpact
08-07-2020, 02:04 PM
Lol what? West wasn‘t a rim protector / shot blocker. He doesn‘t even qualify as inside presence.

Awkward take

He was never a good rim protector? IS this forreal? I'm not even going to go into how good the pacers defense was when he played with them. I'll let you look up...

Proctor
08-07-2020, 02:14 PM
He was never a good rim protector? IS this forreal? I'm not even going to go into how good the pacers defense was when he played with them. I'll let you look up...

:roll::roll::roll:

Clippersfan86
08-07-2020, 02:17 PM

He was a good positional post defender. Absolutely not a rim defender.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Best part is Zubac is locked up next 3 years for only 7 mill per year.

AirTupac
08-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Please bump my Zubac will be the next Marc Gasol thread from 3 years ago guys. I am right AGAIN. WOW