PDA

View Full Version : The great Russell Westbrook averaged 27/7/6 in the 2012 NBA Finals

Lebron23
08-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Against the Miami Heat.

Marchesk
08-09-2020, 06:42 PM
Too bad Harden didn't show up.

tpols
08-09-2020, 06:43 PM
On a flat, super low 50% TS, and big time negative splits differential. Putting up a series low 109 ORTG and team worst 117 DRTG. Let me put it this way... it doesnt matter how much you score or assist if you do it at a horrible per possession rate. His productions could have EASILY been replicated by more ball movement and just about anybody else shooting the rock. And like the metrics show, his defense was horrible too. So there's no redeeming features. Westbrook is one of the most overrated basketball players of all time.

Tobio-Star
08-09-2020, 06:49 PM
On a flat, super low 50% TS, and big time negative splits differential. Putting up a series low 109 ORTG and team worst 117 DRTG. Let me put it this way... it doesnt matter how much you score or assist if you do it at a horrible per possession rate. His productions could have EASILY been replicated by more ball movement and just about anybody else shooting the rock. And like the metrics show, his defense was horrible too. So there's no redeeming features. Westbrook is one of the most overrated basketball players of all time.

That title belongs to Curry

Kblaze8855
08-09-2020, 07:16 PM
No redeeming features....

As if anything needs redeeming. Some non basketball statisticians combine unrelated numbers into one after 120 years of basketball and first ballot hall of famers need “redeeming”.

Hate to see what these know nothing calculator fellating dudes would have to say about Earl Monroes “advanced” numbers.

Be storming the hall to remove his bust by force. At least if it’s not defended. The “Actually....if you look at these numbers he’s not even good” mob probably isn’t up for a physical confrontation.

Shooter
08-09-2020, 09:00 PM
And 27-11-7-4 against the Warriors in 2016 WCF But KD choked the series and 3-1 lead

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZktOKZ6XT9tjG/giphy.gif

Doranku
08-09-2020, 09:10 PM

C'mon bruh. No redeeming qualities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orks2RIt5mg

Smoke117
08-09-2020, 09:12 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5f/2e/1c/5f2e1c1e982af14d4966cc9ca69ebe8e.gif

tpols
08-09-2020, 09:17 PM

Yea...? what about the 4 other games? ..80+% of the series.

imdaman99
08-09-2020, 11:58 PM
Look at this stat nerd :roll: all of a sudden, %s started mattering to this loser once Kobe retired :oldlol:

Ever heard of eye test? He played excellent defense on Wade. Oh wait, you're gonna show me stats that said he wasn't even guarding him? I watched that series, I didn't depend on reading stats like a check my stats nerd like you :lol KD couldn't guard anyone, that's why they lost. He was in foul trouble and getting burned by even Mario Chalmers :oldlol: oh wait, but he averaged 30 points!!!!

warriorfan
08-10-2020, 12:04 AM

Curry’s Finals average is 26.5 ppg on a whole other tier of efficiency as well. These guys want to try to prop up Westbrook to make Brons shady 2012 look legit while they trash Curry for posting better stats with guys draped all over him. Which who knows why they try to diminish Curry when they claim that was his biggest victory. :lol

It seems like as soon as they get past big number greater than smaller number, they are completely lost.

FromDowntown
08-10-2020, 12:21 AM
Curry’s Finals average is 26.5 ppg on a whole other tier of efficiency as well. These guys want to try to prop up Westbrook to make Brons shady 2012 look legit while they trash Curry for posting better stats with guys draped all over him. Which who knows why they try to diminish Curry when they claim that was his biggest victory. :lol

It seems like as soon as they get past big number greater than smaller number, they are completely lost.

Didnt Curry drop 22 ppg in 2016 Finals and commit more turnovers than assists? LeAnchor locked him up good

warriorfan
08-10-2020, 01:44 AM
Didnt Curry drop 22 ppg in 2016 Finals and commit more turnovers than assists? LeAnchor locked him up good

Could you do us a favor and load up all of your alts into your ricksha and get the f.uck out of here. Thanks.

ImKobe
08-10-2020, 06:32 AM

This is his best game, and even in here he ****s up by intentionally fouling Chalmers after the jump ball down 3 points, not realizing that there's only 5 seconds on the shot clock with 17 seconds left in the game, helps seal the game for Miami :facepalm . Lebron was out with cramps at that point as well. And what about Westbrook in Game 2? Magic Johnson called him out after the first half of that game said Westbrook's the worst point guard he's ever seen in the Finals. :roll:

https://youtu.be/RQeyPfkDYl8?t=2461

the 27/7/6 averages are very misleading here.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 06:52 AM
This is his best game, and even in here he ****s up by intentionally fouling Chalmers after the jump ball down 3 points, not realizing that there's only 5 seconds on the shot clock with 17 seconds left in the game, helps seal the game for Miami :facepalm . Lebron was out with cramps at that point as well. And what about Westbrook in Game 2? Magic Johnson called him out after the first half of that game said Westbrook's the worst point guard he's ever seen in the Finals. :roll:

https://youtu.be/RQeyPfkDYl8?t=2461

the 27/7/6 averages are very misleading here.

And everyone trashed Magic for being an idiot

ImKobe
08-10-2020, 07:15 AM

Westbrook was terrible and helped the Heat win that game though, Magic looked at it from a point guard's perspective, Westbrook wasn't getting Durant involved and chucked them into a 12-point hole by halftime. Of course they go on a run and make it a game in the 4th when KD's the one leading the charge.

Kblaze8855
08-10-2020, 09:39 AM

Including Magic:

https://youtu.be/JsFX9xXU8d4

Roundball_Rock
08-10-2020, 10:24 AM
It is a shame how underappreciated Harden and Westbrook are. We aren't going to see players like them for a long time.

Look at this stat nerd all of a sudden, %s started mattering to this loser once Kobe retired

The irony: boiling every player (except, apparently, Grant Hill) down to their shooting efficiency while his favorite player was below league average efficiency from the field for his prime. :lol

3ball
08-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Against the Miami Heat.
Kyrie averaged 29 in the 17' Finals but lost similar to Westbrook because both were employing a your-turn-my-turn approach with their sidekick - this approach fares okay during the lull periods of the game where the defenses are allowing a certain flow of buckets (similar to when fighters have resting periods after a flurry).. but when the key buckets are needed, this approach gets stopped, and superior brands tend to win going away.

tpols
08-10-2020, 11:52 AM
Magic Johnson called him out after the first half of that game said Westbrook's the worst point guard he's ever seen in the Finals.

Bingo.

And those were his true feelings. He only reneged on it because he felt the social pressure to fall in line with the positive group think, but yea.... it must have been painful for a genius IQ player like magic to watch Westbrook blow games over and over.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Including Magic:

https://youtu.be/JsFX9xXU8d4

Haha, exactly.

Social pressure doe.

tpols
08-10-2020, 02:03 PM
BTW I just looked up earl the pearl's numbers. For vast majority of years in the playoffs he shot in the 30s or low 40s % from the field. His best year shooting the ball...the only year he ever cracked 50% (he shot 53%)... was the only year his team won a ring. Who would have thought a better conversion of your opportunities would result in more winning!

Pretty funny how it always lines up huh?

Kblaze8855
08-10-2020, 02:23 PM
Who would have thought playing with 6 other all stars(5 in the hall of fame the oldest being 32) would result in a smaller burden and generally better shooting numbers?

tpols
08-10-2020, 02:30 PM
So what's Westbrook's excuse when he was playing with loaded offensive talent Durant and Harden?

ralph_i_el
08-10-2020, 02:34 PM
He had 4 bad games out of 5 in that series, and got benched for Eric Maynor in one of them.

Roundball_Rock
08-10-2020, 02:34 PM
BTW I just looked up earl the pearl's numbers. For vast majority of years in the playoffs he shot in the 30s or low 40s % from the field. His best year shooting the ball...the only year he ever cracked 50% (he shot 53%)... was the only year his team won a ring. Who would have thought a better conversion of your opportunities would result in more winning!

Is this a joke? He went from 21 FGA in Baltimore to 10 FGA in New York because he went to a much better roster. Lower volume=higher efficiency. Why do you have trouble with this simple concept?

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Yea Westbrook’s always going be divisive, he is now too. I’m having trouble evaluating him.

Some will argue he’s a top 10 player this year with how well, some don’t think he’s top 20. Rockets have same win total as the rockets had last year before the bubble with Gordon falling off this year

On other hand cp3 fell off last year and harden+westbrook were on pace to only go 51-31 with good role players(Covington, tucker) around them feels like something’s off. Don’t think hardens being overvalued so it might be westbrook.

Phoenix
08-10-2020, 02:35 PM
So what's Westbrook's excuse when he was playing with loaded offensive talent Durant and Harden?

The team on the other side of the floor was better?

tpols
08-10-2020, 02:40 PM
The team on the other side of the floor was better?

I'm talking about his shooting numbers. He shot poorly against the Heat. And contextually was wild and out of control per Magic. The 2012 thunder ranked dead last in assists, and that's a common theme for Westbrook teams. I guess it is hard to maximize talent between superstars when they don't even play off one another or have any semblance of ball movement. Just rotating isos.

Durant was the only one to get it done in that series even with the refs calling bullshit blocking fouls on him and sending to the bench.

Kblaze8855
08-10-2020, 02:45 PM

Youre under the mistaken impression I think he needs an excuse. That series means no more to me than when he played so well beating the Lakers a couple weeks earlier.

Players are who they are to me not what they average for a week when a good or bad game alters it so much. Especially in the playoffs with the insane minutes and playing through blowouts and all trying to win by any means.

For as much importance as people place on them playoff averages are often even worse than normal ones to evaluate a player.

insidious301
08-10-2020, 02:46 PM
Dont like Westbrook's game beside him giving it his all. In every game. Erratic and forces shots while not pacing himself like his peers do. In fairness to Westbrook however, he's meshed well with James Harden and they've been a good duo.

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Dont like Westbrook's game beside him giving it his all. In every game. Too many forced shots and doesnt pace himself like his peers do. In fairness to Westbrook however, he's meshed well with James Harden. and they've been a good duo this year.

That aggressiveness is a positive too for his teammates however because he’s just going attract defensive attention with how relentlessly he attacks the rim. Pace also tends to help offenses; role players get more layups and open looks.

Other pgs often having assists where they make a vanilla pass and the scorer does most of the work(cough Stockton), Pgs aren’t bringing much positive impact on those plays.

Westbrook is the opposite of that since he’s always forcing even playing with kd, George, and harden. He’s not the type to dribble top of the key for 8 seconds doing nothing and then just pass it to his co star to bail him out. When a co-stars isolation doesn’t work, westbrook teams still have time on the shotclock to go to plan B.

insidious301
08-10-2020, 03:03 PM
That aggressiveness is a positive too for his teammates however because he’s just going attract defensive attention with how relentlessly he attacks the rim. Pace also tends to help offenses; role players get more layups and open looks.

Other pgs often having assists where they make a vanilla pass and the scorer does most of the work(cough Stockton), Pgs aren’t bringing much positive impact on those plays.

Westbrook is the opposite of that since he’s always forcing even playing with kd, George, and harden. He’s not the type to dribble top of the key for 8 seconds doing nothing and then just pass it to his co star to bail him out. When a co-stars isolation doesn’t work, westbrook teams still have time on the shotclock to go to plan B.

Those are great arguments for Westbrook, NBAGOAT. Suppose you can say there was an unconsciousness reason on why I appreciated the effort. Haha. If you ever played a sport how do you really hate on that?

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Those are great arguments for Westbrook, NBAGOAT. Suppose you can say there was an unconsciousness reason on why I appreciated the effort. Haha. If you ever played a sport how do you really hate on that?

At the same time nothing wrong with appreciating skill and b-ball iq. Not saying Westbrook is dumb at all but his shot selection is still iffy and he’s just not near the top for me like say lebron.

His jumper ofc still isn’t very good, I mean it’s a bit absurd for a guard not to be able to make 3s in 2020. His finishing was kind of poor up til a couple years ago(prime rose was so much better). B-ballbrealdkwn has videos on how off his fundamentals were there. Westbrook will always be decisive and kind of hard to evaluate

tpols
08-10-2020, 04:36 PM
The most shocking thing to me about westbrook is how well he shoots FTs. He's had long playoff runs shooting 89%... I dont think I've ever seen a player shoot that well from the line, but not from the field. Get this... last year in OKC against Portland, he shot 89% from the line, and 16% in game from 10-16 FT. How does that happen? It sort of shows he has the shooting skill, but not the decision making ability. If someone could just give this dude a valium or something before each game he may ascend to GOAT.

Phoenix
08-10-2020, 05:29 PM
I always thought Westbrook would have been better off being a straight up shooting guard, with someone like a steady Mike Conley type as his backcourt mate. Interesting this year both his field goal and 2point % are career highs. Can't even say that's exclusively because of Harden being on the floor with him taking defensive attention, because he had KD the first 8-9 years or whatever and had some years shooting 43%. Could be, if it's a question of decision-making, that with Harden on the floor he's not the sole offense kickstarter like previously and he can just play his game.

Marchesk
08-10-2020, 06:02 PM
So this discussion raises a question of what if the Thunder kept Harden, started him at PG, and moved Westbrook to SG? And they stayed together all this time?

Westbrook might have resisted moving over to SG, but Harden plays in control, which is overall better from the primary playmaker. It would have been interesting to see how all three could have fit together once Harden entered his prime.

tpols
08-10-2020, 06:10 PM
So this discussion raises a question of what if the Thunder kept Harden, started him at PG, and moved Westbrook to SG? And they stayed together all this time?

Westbrook might have resisted moving over to SG, but Harden plays in control, which is overall better from the primary playmaker. It would have been interesting to see how all three could have fit together once Harden entered his prime.

They should've got rid of Westbrook and kept Harden. But at the time, Harden was new on the scene and Westbrook already had star clout. Little did they know what Harden would be capable of with a superstar load since he was only a 6th man with OKC. Harden & Durant could've challenged the dubs dynasty for real. That's just too much talent.

Marchesk
08-10-2020, 06:19 PM
They should've got rid of Westbrook and kept Harden. But at the time, Harden was new on the scene and Westbrook already had star clout. Little did they know what Harden would be capable of with a superstar load since he was only a 6th man with OKC. Harden & Durant could've challenged the dubs dynasty for real. That's just too much talent.

I wonder what sort of haul Presti would have gotten for Westbrook in summer 2012. His stock was a bit higher at the the time.

Shooter
08-10-2020, 09:21 PM
HOL UP

LeBron beat a #2 Finals opponent scoring 27/7/6? And MJ beat Hornacek at 10.7 ppg???

Vino24
08-10-2020, 10:44 PM
HOL UP

LeBron beat a #2 Finals opponent scoring 27/7/6? And MJ beat Hornacek at 10.7 ppg???
They seem even to me

GimmeThat
08-10-2020, 10:59 PM
you mean the season that made Ibaka started to shoot 3 but somehow can't block shots at the same time, because he can't stay within the flow of the game due to the lack of priority given a possession by possession basis?

ImKobe
08-11-2020, 07:14 AM

Would have only worked with a coach like D'Antoni, Scott Brooks was a nice guy but didn't have the offensive mind to unlock their potential. OKC had a dynasty on their hands and didn't know what to do with it, complete failure by the front office.