PDA

View Full Version : Blazers/Suns Tiebreaker Question

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 02:21 AM
Suns lead the H2H 2-1, and could potentially end up with the same record IF they beat OKC and Philly (possibly also without Embiid), but Blazers have 2 gms left and Suns 3 even though Portland has 2 gms more played.

If they're tied 1 day before regular seasons end, would they simply not play the Blazers' second last day game against Phoenix?

Doranku
08-10-2020, 02:23 AM
Think I heard it's going to be win % based since not every team will play the same amount of games. So basically H2H record is irrelevant since it's impossible they end up with the same record. Kinda dumb.

highwhey
08-10-2020, 02:42 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/suns/comments/i6xj2b/comprehensive_list_of_scenarios_that_get_us_into/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 02:47 AM
Think I heard it's going to be win % based since not every team will play the same amount of games. So basically H2H record is irrelevant since it's impossible they end up with the same record. Kinda dumb.

thats so stupid blazers get an extra game and just need to beat BKN...

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 02:48 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/suns/comments/i6xj2b/comprehensive_list_of_scenarios_that_get_us_into/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

why would they make it over POR if they win three and POR goes 1-1?

highwhey
08-10-2020, 03:01 AM

We have the tie breaker over them.

highwhey
08-10-2020, 03:08 AM
I dont fully understand the requirements fyi.

FourthTenor
08-10-2020, 03:19 AM
Honestly LeTeabag should just pick the team on whose face he would like to rest his royal nuts.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 03:44 AM
We have the tie breaker over them.

But they would have a better record / win percentage with the extra game

Doranku
08-10-2020, 03:45 AM

If Suns go 3-0, they'd be 34-39.
If Blazers go 1-1, they'd be 34-40.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 03:45 AM
If Suns go 3-0, they'd be 34-39.
If Blazers go 1-1, they'd be 34-40.

Oh ofc yes

But my concern was what if Suns go 3-0 and Blazers 2-0

Be so stupid if Portland gets an extra game

Doranku
08-10-2020, 03:49 AM
Oh ofc yes

But my concern was what if Suns go 3-0 and Blazers 2-0

Be so stupid if Portland gets an extra game

Yeah, if they both win out, the only way the Suns can get in is if the Grizzlies lose both of their games since they'd be .5 games behind Portland, so they'd have to snag the 9 seed with Portland getting the 8.

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 03:54 AM
The play-in games negates a lot of the tiebreaker concerns

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 05:30 AM
The play-in games negates a lot of the tiebreaker concerns

they dont though wtf lol

the play in game has nothing to do with this

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 06:09 AM
they dont though wtf lol

the play in game has nothing to do with this

I think it does to a large extent. You have less right to complain about unfair tiebreakers when the 9 seed usually wouldn’t have any chance to make the playoffs usually

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 06:36 AM
I think it does to a large extent. You have less right to complain about unfair tiebreakers when the 9 seed usually wouldn’t have any chance to make the playoffs usually

lol but in this case the 9th seed does and one team would get a systematic edge on another..

this isnt hard to explain u know

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 06:38 AM
lol but in this case the 9th seed does and one team would get a systematic edge on another..

this isnt hard to explain u know

No I get your explanation. I’m saying that extra spot could be enough to make up for an edge.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 06:40 AM
No I get your explanation. I’m saying that extra spot could be enough to make up for an edge.

why would it when its between the contending 9 seeds, and not the 9th seed getting in when tied with the 8th seed..

one team would get shafted.

NBAGOAT
08-10-2020, 07:05 AM
why would it when its between the contending 9 seeds, and not the 9th seed getting in when tied with the 8th seed..

one team would get shafted.

Because it’s an extra opportunity/gift for the suns/blazers that they wouldn’t have had before so imo that makes up for being “shafted”.

They didn’t add this in before the season that would be different and Suns would have more right to complain , they added it after 62 or so games. You’re looking at the situation in a vacuum not in context of the whole season. A 9 seed shouldn’t have made the playoffs to begin with. Only team that had room to complain was Memphis but that goes out the window too since they’ve lost every game.

Add on the schedule went this way because they just assigned games you had left vs teams in the bubble, that part is completely fair.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 07:09 AM
Its not a gift though. They‘re within a game of each other 15 gms short of the season ending, a season they entered with the knowledge of having 82 games..

And obviously if you are on equal footing for the new qualification of a 9 seed play in, but then another team just gets an extra game...

Very bad look for a professional sports league.

ImKobe
08-10-2020, 07:17 AM
And Spurs only end up playing 71 games here...they're getting shafted as well because they could end up having the least losses out of the teams fighting for the 8th/9th spot but not make the play-in due to not having as many total games played.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2020, 07:25 AM
And Spurs only end up playing 71 games here...they're getting shafted as well because they could end up having the least losses out of the teams fighting for the 8th/9th spot but not make the play-in due to not having as many total games played.

Ridiculous. But they‘ll probably lose to HOU.