PDA

View Full Version : What's your feeling on Bubble Load Management?

Marchesk
08-11-2020, 05:30 PM
Today I see the 76ers are playing the Suns without their starters. The Suns of course are trying to get into that 8/9 play-in spot in the West. How fair is it for teams that have their seeding already set to be resting and load managing their rosters? And this is only 8 games we're talking about after months of rest. It's not like the last game of a tough NFL regular season where the top seed rests their starters. How much do guys in the physical primes like Giannis and Kawhi really need to rest? And even when they play major minutes like AD and Lebron last night, no effort is given on the defensive end.

Speaking of the NFL and resting the last regular season game, the Giants in Dec 2007 did not rest their starters, nor did the Patriots, both choosing to compete for/against that perfect season. The Giants lost a close one, then proceeded to go on the road for the next three weeks and then beat the undefeated Pats in the SB. So didn't seem like rest mattered much to them.

Remember when the 98 Jazz had 10 days of rest waiting on the Bulls to finish off the Pacers in a tough 7 games series. How the Jazz were favored in the last dance with home field advantage and being well rested?

Lebron23
08-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Ben Simmons is out of the season. Joel Embiid injured his ankle.

Marchesk
08-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Ben Simmons is out of the season. Joel Embiid injured his ankle.

No Richardson, no Harris, no Horford? It's not like the 76ers are the only team doing it.

fourkicks44
08-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Half time and the Suns are up 5. Philly has been leading most of the game.

Kyle O'Quinn looking like Jokic, is on track for a triple double. :lol

It may seem stupid after such a long break due to covid but it is only a couple games away from the playoffs.

Teams always sit players in the last week of the season. It reduces chance of injury and teams don't want to show their full hands before the playoffs against rival teams in their conferences the could be matched up against in a series (like the Raptors/Bucks game yesterday).

Marchesk
08-11-2020, 05:44 PM
Teams always sit players in the last week of the season. It reduces chance of injury and teams don't want to show their full hands before the playoffs against rival teams in their conferences the could be matched up against in a series (like the Raptors/Bucks game yesterday).

Yeah, but Jordan played 82 games nine times in his career. Karl Malone played 80-82 games almost every season. Kobe played 82 games in the 08 and 09 regular seasons. Stockton played 82 games almost his entire career, including his last four seasons up through age 40!

But the Greek God can't do that?

fourkicks44
08-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but Jordan played 82 games nine times in his career. Karl Malone played 80-82 games almost every season. Kobe played 82 games in the 08 and 09 regular seasons. Stockton played 82 games almost his entire career, including his last four seasons up through age 40!

He had oral tooth ache :oldlol:

Marchesk
08-11-2020, 05:57 PM
He had oral tooth ache :oldlol:

Players in the 60s would laugh at today's pampered athlete. Or be extremely jealous. Makes one wonder if Wilt really wanted to play all those minutes.

ArbitraryWater
08-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Definitely disgusting, I made a thread on this today.

Teams are involved in seed shifts.

fourkicks44
08-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Players in the 60s would laugh at today's pampered athlete. Or be extremely jealous. Makes one wonder if Wilt really wanted to play all those minutes.

I don't have to point out how much the game has changed since then but the players honestly can't take blame here.

It's 95% the coaches decisions no doubt.

tpols
08-11-2020, 06:10 PM
It's ridiculous. Gotten to the point where 75% of the games are unwatchable. At least we have dallas portland tonight.

Marchesk
08-11-2020, 06:17 PM
I don't have to point out how much the game has changed since then but the players honestly can't take blame here.

It's 95% the coaches decisions no doubt.

I bet Zion would have played 35 minutes each game in the bubble if it were left up to him. Or until he was totally gassed.

Marchesk
08-11-2020, 06:19 PM
Anyway looks like one of those spots is there for the taking. Memphis down 16 at half. I can't believe how bad they and the Pelicans have been in the Bubble.

tpols
08-11-2020, 07:54 PM
Anyway looks like one of those spots is there for the taking. Memphis down 16 at half. I can't believe how bad they and the Pelicans have been in the Bubble.

Pelicans just suck. Memphis had an unreal schedule and lost their best player to injury so it's understandable. I'm still really pissed guys are "load managing" after taking such a long rest and only having to play 8 games. They're lucky to even be playing at all, and then they pull this bullshit stunt? Even teams that haven't locked their seeding are resting. It's an extremely disingenuous move on behalf of those teams. What.. you need more rest than you've already got?

NBAGOAT
08-11-2020, 08:07 PM
boring but understandable, play will pick up in the playoffs. home court isnt a factor and teams 3-6 dont seem to care about matchups either so why would they risk injury.

SATAN
08-11-2020, 08:09 PM
It's almost like this doesn't happen every other year in recent memory... Not gonna blame the players as it's likely not always their decision. It's like hating people for taking recommended days off their job (let's face it, it's rare and something many people would like to happen to them).

If the games aren't worth watching, there are literally millions of other things to do with your time.

NBAGOAT
08-11-2020, 08:16 PM

someone that tall and muscular might have some motor problems and he plays really hard on defense for a superstar. People in the league dont think he can pla even 35mpg consistently so yea he needs the rest. Add on because of the spacing era guys are actually covering more ground than ever according to the tracking data. Miles run per game is tracked and it's gone up every year supposedly There's less just sitting in the left block guarding a big. Giannis is always running out and contesting jumpers or making a rotation to block a shot and thats where risk of leg injuries comes in.

tpols
08-11-2020, 08:27 PM
boring but understandable, play will pick up in the playoffs. home court isnt a factor and teams 3-6 dont seem to care about matchups either so why would they risk injury.

I've never understood that argument. Like... if you're going to get injured in the last 1-2 games at the end of the season, what's to stop you from getting injured in the first 1-2 games of the playoffs? It's totally nonsensical and ***** way of playing. Players back in the day used to play every game and earn every paycheck. I'm looking at Kobe's log... from '08-'10 when Lakers always had shit locked up, he played 82, 82, 73. And that last year was because he had a lot of legit injuries to his knee and fingers.

NBAGOAT
08-11-2020, 08:37 PM
I've never understood that argument. Like... if you're going to get injured in the last 1-2 games at the end of the season, what's to stop you from getting injured in the first 1-2 games of the playoffs? It's totally nonsensical and ***** way of playing. Players back in the day used to play every game and earn every paycheck. I'm looking at Kobe's log... from '08-'10 when Lakers always had shit locked up, he played 82, 82, 73. And that last year was because he had a lot of legit injuries to his knee and fingers.

hey if you get injured the playoffs at least you contributed for a couple games. Playing makes sense but how many minutes did kobe play in meaningless games and i'm guessing the intensity wasnt there either. Why would a coach want to play a guy in meaningless game besides avoiding rust?