PDA

View Full Version : Changing Perceptions During 2020 Playoffs?

Roundball_Rock
08-15-2020, 08:38 PM
What can certain stars/superstars do to change your perception of them during this postseason? Rings will be popular responses but what I had in mind is a scenario where Harden goes 39/7/9 on 65% TS and Houston beats OKC with Westbrook out most of the series and then loses to the Warriors in 6. Is that enough? Or would 45/9/12 on 73% with the same team outcome do the trick? Or is it title or bust?

Harden was the one who prompted the OP but you can pose similar questions for others like Giannis, Embiid, George, Davis, etc. LeBron, Kawhi are fairly obvious but we can rope them into this as well.

FourthTenor
08-15-2020, 08:55 PM
What can certain stars/superstars do to change your perception of them during this postseason? Rings will be popular responses but what I had in mind is a scenario where Harden goes 39/7/9 on 65% TS and Houston beats OKC with Westbrook out most of the series and then loses to the Warriors in 6. Is that enough? Or would 45/9/12 on 73% with the same team outcome do the trick? Or is it title or bust?

Harden was the one who prompted the OP but you can pose similar questions for others like Giannis, Embiid, George, Davis, etc. LeBron, Kawhi are fairly obvious but we can rope them into this as well.

This wouldnt just change my perception. It would blow my mind.

Roundball_Rock
08-15-2020, 08:59 PM
This wouldnt just change my perception. It would blow my mind.

:lol Good catch--meant Lakers! The slip up shows how much mentally Harden is tied to the Warriors in the playoffs, though.

tpols
08-15-2020, 09:09 PM
The thunder are going to shit on Houston imo.

Smoke117
08-15-2020, 09:32 PM
The thunder are going to shit on Houston.

Water is wet.

Roundball_Rock
08-15-2020, 09:33 PM
That could happen with Harden going off but if he is out after a round there won't be a sample size worth looking at.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-15-2020, 10:20 PM
Harden needs to get to the WCF or bust. I'm not asking him to beat both LA teams but at least 1 if Westbrook is healthy.

StrongLurk
08-15-2020, 10:46 PM
Clearly guys without rings. Rings drive perception for casuals.

So, Harden and Giannis and the main guys. Westbrook and Paul George as well.

insidious301
08-15-2020, 10:53 PM
Harden and Westbrook are the first names that popped into my head. I think Carmelo Anthony(not a star now obviously, but still a former one) has a "chance" to also prove doubters wrong however. He was always labeled a loser by playing selfish basketball. So far with Portland though he's been a consummate teammate and accepted his role gracefully. I doubt the Blazers beat LA but if they do how great of an upset it would be.

Roundball_Rock
08-16-2020, 12:58 AM
If the Blazers pull off the upset but then lose handily in the second round to Houston or OKC does it do anything for Lillard? Of course if they beat LA and then beat HOU/OKC and make the WCF again that is a different story. That would benefit him more than last year's WCF run, which was a product of bracket luck with the two best teams being in the other bracket. Getting there this year going through the Lakers and probably Houston would be a lot more impressive.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-16-2020, 04:15 AM
If the Blazers pull off the upset but then lose handily in the second round to Houston or OKC does it do anything for Lillard? Of course if they beat LA and then beat HOU/OKC and make the WCF again that is a different story. That would benefit him more than last year's WCF run, which was a product of bracket luck with the two best teams being in the other bracket. Getting there this year going through the Lakers and probably Houston would be a lot more impressive.

I don't think it really does that much for Lillard if he eliminates Lakers but loses in 2nd round. He would pretty much just be another 2007 Baron Davis. That was more of a knock on Dirk then anything about Warriors. So it would be more of a knock on LeBron/AD.

The 2007 warriors basically went small and forced Mavs to go small with them and exposed Dirk's defense. I don't really see that happening with Lakers defense but time will tell.

Stephonit
08-16-2020, 06:17 AM
Anytime you can knock off guys more successful than you or cause an upset that is a feather in your cap.

Upsets don't happen that frequently so when one does it deserves attention especially cases where one guy proves too much for even a group of good players.

If Embiid can beat the Celtics he will confirm himself as a superstar.

Roundball_Rock
08-16-2020, 10:34 AM
I don't think it really does that much for Lillard if he eliminates Lakers but loses in 2nd round. He would pretty much just be another 2007 Baron Davis. That was more of a knock on Dirk then anything about Warriors. So it would be more of a knock on LeBron/AD.

The 2007 warriors basically went small and forced Mavs to go small with them and exposed Dirk's defense. I don't really see that happening with Lakers defense but time will tell.

Good points. One key difference: Lillard is a different caliber player than B. Davis was. He was a two-time all-star, never all-NBA, etc. so what he did did not really matter all-time. Lillard has a legit shot at making it to the top 50 all-time.

Anytime you can knock off guys more successful than you or cause an upset that is a feather in your cap.

Upsets don't happen that frequently so when one does it deserves attention especially cases where one guy proves too much for even a group of good players.

If Embiid can beat the Celtics he will confirm himself as a superstar.

Good points.

Embiid and the Sixers may be the most interesting first round team to watch. If Embiid dominates and the Sixers function better revolving around Embiid with Simmons out, the Sixers may have to consider separating the two, especially with Simmons' value still sky high.

coin24
08-16-2020, 06:53 PM
Lol Sixers will get bounced in the first round:lol

kawhileonard2
08-16-2020, 08:59 PM

Warriors?

Lion's pride
08-16-2020, 10:51 PM
I like this thread...

for me

1- Can Mr MVP of the regular season (Giannis) actually come through in a tight game/ near end of 4th quarter/ against tough playoff teams??? Or is his dominance more of a regular season type of player?? the man shot 3 airballs in one game with hardly any pressure..

2- Is Mr "everyone's Love child" Luka Doncic, going to play well in any 4th quarter against much tougher comp? He was terrible most of the ever at crunch time. Yet he has already been given the mantle due to regular season stats...

3 Is this the last Hurra for Portland and the duo of Dame and CJ?? if they get smacked by LAL, is it time to break them up??

4 - Is Embiid, who some say just doesn't fit with Simmons, gonna ball out, win or lose, without him??

5 - is my Man J Tatum going to step up a level in stardom? or just tease me??

Roundball_Rock
09-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Any big winners or loses to date? To me Butler is the biggest winner.

NBAGOAT
09-05-2020, 07:15 PM
giannis is the biggest loser, this was worse than last year and at least the tor series had the narrative of kawhi as a stopper

DMAVS41
09-05-2020, 07:17 PM
Any big winners or loses to date? To me Butler is the biggest winner.

I agree about Butler.

Harden has a chance at that if he plays great and they beat the Lakers.

Leonard still looks like the best player.

Giannis/Siakam battling for biggest loser right now.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-05-2020, 07:18 PM
Winners: Kawhi, George, Butler, Covington, D'antoni

Losers: Giannis, Bledsoe, Middelton, Lopez

LoneyROY7
09-05-2020, 07:21 PM

Paul George is changing perceptions averaging 19 ppg on 37 percent?

Roundball_Rock
09-05-2020, 07:25 PM

George as a winner? He is 19/7/4 on 37% from the field in a context where every other perimeter star is feasting, including guys at his level (Butler), above his level, or even below his level like Mitchell and Murray.

I'd add Embiid as a loser, Luka as a winner.

I agree about Butler.

Yeah, Harden has the biggest upside. He can completely change the narrative on his career, especially if the Rockets beat both LA teams.

Kawhi is a low key winner since the gap between him and the challengers for #1 has been put on stark display in the playoffs. It's Kawhi and Luka/LeBron/Giannis/Davis/Harden in a tier behind him now.

Agree on Siakam. If he played for an American team he would be getting a lot more flack but the U.S. media doesn't care about the Raptors.

DMAVS41
09-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Paul George is changing perceptions averaging 19 ppg on 37 percent?

Yea...

No, PG is not a winner so far in these playoffs perception wise. That makes no sense.

Roundball_Rock
09-05-2020, 09:35 PM
Forgot Murray and Mitchell as obvious winners.

hold this L
09-05-2020, 11:17 PM
Biggest storyline for this post season is Harden, WB and the Rockets. Both their legacies will go up if they beat the Lakers, even more if they beat Clippers and even more if they beat whatever Eastern team that will get bodied from someone on the West.

If they lose, it'll be expected.

highwhey
09-05-2020, 11:36 PM
I agree about Butler.

nah, its easily giannis. siakam had some hype built for him but he's nowhere near giannis, especially with the mvp nod and eevrything.

Roundball_Rock
09-05-2020, 11:37 PM
Biggest storyline for this post season is Harden, WB and the Rockets. Both their legacies will go up if they beat the Lakers, even more if they beat Clippers and even more if they beat whatever Eastern team that will get bodied from someone on the West.

If they lose, it'll be expected.

They basically are in a free roll situation: if they lose to the Lakers it is expected as they were the clear underdogs. If they beat them it is a big feather in the cap. If they lose to the Clippers, same scenario again just even more credit since they would be going to the finals instead of the WCF versus the Lakers.

Roundball_Rock
09-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Joker, Butler the biggest winners so far?

This likely will be what we look back to as when Murray became a star as well.

Charlie Sheen
09-16-2020, 11:13 AM

Can't disagree with any of the three.

Might not have happened during the playoffs, but I've noticed perception on Spo has really changed. He's gone from being a punchline that rode lebron's coattails to a fixture in the conversation for best coach in the nba.

Doranku
09-16-2020, 11:17 AM

I would include Tatum and AD as well. Bron too but we're just accustomed to his postseason greatness at this point.

FKAri
09-16-2020, 11:33 AM

Might not have happened during the playoffs, but I've noticed perception on Spo has really changed. He's gone from being a punchline that rode lebron's coattails to a fixture in the conversation for best coach in the nba.

He's been considered a great coach for at least a couple of seasons now.

Roundball_Rock
09-16-2020, 03:14 PM

Yeah, Spo is muting a lot of critics with this run.

I would include Tatum and AD as well. Bron too but we're just accustomed to his postseason greatness at this point.

Good choices. Yeah, LeBron has been a low key winner with Giannis, Kawhi, Harden all have subpar playoff runs.