PDA

View Full Version : Ja Morant or Trae Young??

Lion's pride
08-16-2020, 11:00 PM
This is a NON Lebron-Jordan-Pippen thread so sue me :D

But 2 up and coming young PGs.. Both slight of frame, yet both showing very good promise in different ways..

So who you taking to build your future team around???

MrFonzworth
08-16-2020, 11:02 PM
Ja Morant by an insanely large margin.

Lion's pride
08-16-2020, 11:05 PM
Ja Morant by an insanely large margin.

not disagreeing, but doesn't Trae put up near Luka like numbers??? Why is one considered a future MVP Super star while Trae is way behind Ja.. Again, just asking..

AlternativeAcc.
08-16-2020, 11:06 PM
Give me my 10 bruh

LoneyROY7
08-16-2020, 11:08 PM
Ja Morant has much better size and is better athletically, which allows him to be much more of a factor on defense.

Trae just doesn't have the measurables to play defense tbh. Being 6'1 with a 6'2 wingspan on top of being light weight, he just can't be factor on that end.

tpols
08-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Trae is like a baby version of chef in the Least. Poor man's. Morant is like a cross between wade and iverson, and seems to have the much higher ceiling.

NBAGOAT
08-16-2020, 11:12 PM
Trae he’s got the potential to be the best offensive player in the league.

Lion's pride
08-16-2020, 11:21 PM
Trae is like a baby version of chef in the Least. Poor man's. Morant is like a cross between wade and iverson, and seems to have the much higher ceiling.

who?

Lion's pride
08-16-2020, 11:24 PM
Ja Morant has much better size and is better athletically, which allows him to be much more of a factor on defense.

Trae just doesn't have the measurables to play defense tbh. Being 6'1 with a 6'2 wingspan on top of being light weight, he just can't be factor on that end.

agree but for the sake of argument what if Trae had 4 solid defensive teammates to help minimize that a bit??

Axe
08-16-2020, 11:45 PM
Trae young

Gudo
08-16-2020, 11:56 PM
Ja morant seems to have a higher ceiling

Jay-B
08-16-2020, 11:56 PM
Morant all day

BigtimeNBAFan
08-17-2020, 12:13 AM
Morant makes his team better. There are still major question marks as to whether Young does. Before you go on about how Morant has a better team around him, remember going into this season many people thought the Grizz would be the worst team in the league. The Vegas odds before the start of the season had Memphis over/under at 26.5 wins. They were the clear cut 8 seed when the league shutdown. Morant is a future superstar.

Gray GOAT
08-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Trae Young might be the worst defensive player of all time, so not him.

FireDavidKahn
08-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Trae is a top 5 worst defender in the NBA.

FireDavidKahn
08-17-2020, 12:21 AM
agree but for the sake of argument what if Trae had 4 solid defensive teammates to help minimize that a bit??

"Lets surround Trae with 4 elite defenders"

If only it were that easy.

Lion's pride
08-17-2020, 12:31 AM
"Lets surround Trae with 4 elite defenders"

If only it were that easy.

I said "Solid" not Elite, there is a difference.. :facepalm .. like in other words 4 "good defenders" "Elite" to me means the best..

but I get your point..

bobopenguin
08-17-2020, 12:41 AM
Ja Morant seems to be more versatile, but Trae has godlik offensive power.
i will go for Morant.

Lebron23
08-17-2020, 12:43 AM
I expect Morant to average over 25 ppg next season, and lead the Grizzlies to the playoffs.

Lion's pride
08-17-2020, 12:49 AM
Ja Morant seems to be more versatile, but Trae has godlik offensive power.
i will go for Morant.

This is funny.. you say "godlike" then pick the other!!!

insight
08-17-2020, 12:54 AM
Trae Young was faced the 5th highest amount of double teams as a ROOKIE, I believe he was number 2 this season but still top 5 in scoring and top 3 in assist.
Ja is a great young player, incredible to watch with unreal athleticism but skill wise he is not close to Trae.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EChWXZ5W4AIYdYC?format=png&name=small

Ja is a great passer, but Trae Young is a generational talent at passing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFlDYv8tXo&feature=emb_title

No disrespect to Ja, I love watching him and both have flaws, but both have tremendous upside which will be fun to watch in the future.

fsvr54
08-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Trae Young, hes Steve Nash with more PPG.

Marchesk
08-17-2020, 02:49 AM
Trae Young and it's not even close. The team around you kind of matters. Consider how Portland was doing earlier in the season when guys like Nurkic were out. Doesn't matter how good Dame is. Team wasn't good enough around him.

bobopenguin
08-17-2020, 02:51 AM
This is funny.. you say "godlike" then pick the other!!!

thats' cos ja morant wasnt on worst defender in the league list.

ncrizzle
08-17-2020, 03:02 AM
Ja can improve on his shot. Trae will never become 1/4 the athlete morant is

AlternativeAcc.
08-17-2020, 03:13 AM
Ja will never have the scoring ability or passing ability that Trae currently possesses

Therefore, he will always live in Trae's shadow

It is what it is.

Axe
08-17-2020, 03:16 AM
Ja had better teammates atm. Valanciunas, jackson, brooks, etc. all of which gave the grizzlies a shot of garnering the last seed.

Akeem34TheDream
08-17-2020, 03:59 AM
Young is probably better right now but i would rather have Ja.

bobopenguin
08-17-2020, 04:05 AM
Ja had better teammates atm. Valanciunas, jackson, brooks, etc. all of which gave the grizzlies a shot of garnering the last seed.

there was a period ppl hyping hawks to be ECF tier team.

coin24
08-17-2020, 04:56 AM
Trigga and it's not close.

Hawks will be top 6 in the east next season BOOK IT

Stephonit
08-17-2020, 05:00 AM
If Trae can get close to becoming an average defender this will be Trae Young all the way. If not it's going to be a big crying shame.

Axe
08-17-2020, 05:37 AM
there was a period ppl hyping hawks to be ECF tier team.
Yeah lol i think that was somebody who said the hawks are going to be in the ecf next year which i find hilarious. In fact it was from a thread made weeks ago.

ncrizzle
08-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Ja will never have the scoring ability or passing ability that Trae currently possesses

Therefore, he will always live in Trae's shadow

It is what it is.

Lets look at their rookie stats. 18/7 for morant/ Trae is a point and assist more in higher usage and worse efficiency

What do Ja's number look like with 33% usage?

insight
08-17-2020, 01:25 PM
Lets look at their rookie stats. 18/7 for morant/ Trae is a point and assist more in higher usage and worse efficiency

What do Ja's number look like with 33% usage?

Apples and Oranges.
Trae was the 5th most double teamed player in the league his rookie season. Unlike Ja he struggled early but came on strong in the 2nd half of the season. Ja has been consistent from start to finish but had less pressure due to stronger supporting cast.

NBAGOAT
08-17-2020, 01:44 PM
i dont think trae needs to become even good defensively or even as good as someone like steph. just marginally better than dame who's not good defensively. definitely has potential to be dame on offense with even better playmaking. That combo is a mvp player. ja has gotten some rose comparisons but i'm not sure about those and a better dame on both sides is better than mvp rose.

JohnMax
08-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Trae Young and it's not even close.

He's only point guard with explosive scoring ability like Lillard and Curry.

Omar Johnson
08-17-2020, 02:07 PM
ja is so much better

ncrizzle
08-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Apples and Oranges.
Trae was the 5th most double teamed player in the league his rookie season. Unlike Ja he struggled early but came on strong in the 2nd half of the season. Ja has been consistent from start to finish but had less pressure due to stronger supporting cast.

The supporting cast that was picked to finish last in the western conference?!?

KingMambaFan
08-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Morant

insight
08-18-2020, 02:03 PM
The supporting cast that was picked to finish last in the western conference?!?
Picked by who? I,m talking real life not fantasy hot takes. Did anyone predict Golden State would have the worst record this year? Who predicted Toronto would win the NBA title last season? Predictions are meaningless when we can see the evidence in the games played.
Ja had a great rookie season, but what categories was he top 5 in the league in? LeBron couldn't win with La untill they got the right pieces, Dame couldn't win until Portland got healthy but Trae is expected to win with John Collins suspended and Vince Carter as the 2nd best player.

ncrizzle
08-18-2020, 04:04 PM
Picked by who? I,m talking real life not fantasy hot takes. Did anyone predict Golden State would have the worst record this year? Who predicted Toronto would win the NBA title last season? Predictions are meaningless when we can see the evidence in the games played.
Ja had a great rookie season, but what categories was he top 5 in the league in? LeBron couldn't win with La untill they got the right pieces, Dame couldn't win until Portland got healthy but Trae is expected to win with John Collins suspended and Vince Carter as the 2nd best player.

Basically every media outlet? But hey, whatever fits your narrative man

insight
08-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Basically every media outlet? But hey, whatever fits your narrative man
My point was the media outlets were wrong Memphis had a pretty good roster especially with Jjj. I could be wrong about Trae having a bigger impact in the future than Ja. Its all opinions and speculation I was just pointing out the Hawks roster was weaker.

Axe
08-18-2020, 05:53 PM
Lol you talked about predictions that are meaningless. I recall something last january about ja taunting lebron prematurely to watch out because the grizzlies were the 8th seed back then and that the lakers might face them in the first round come playoff time.

Well, guess what? 7 months later after the bubble, they got overtaken by portland who went on to clinch the last seed and force a first-round matchup against the lakers instead. Ja is only a rookie this year but unfortunately, he ate his words already. Now looking back doe, i remembered this and think that it was all a prank.

insight
08-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Lol you talked about predictions that are meaningless. I recall something last january about ja taunting lebron prematurely to watch out because the grizzlies were the 8th seed back then and that the lakers might face them in the first round come playoff time.

Well, guess what? 7 months later after the bubble, they got overtaken by portland who went on to clinch the last seed and force a first-round matchup against the lakers instead. Ja is only a rookie this year but unfortunately, he ate his words already. Now looking back doe, i remembered this and think that it was all a prank.

Ja got some dog in him, I remember when he was chirping at James Harden after making a jump shot. Got to love his passion and fearlessness even though the sample size is small I just hope he does't get seriously injured try to out leap everybody. .

bigbrownschaub
08-18-2020, 08:00 PM
get me jamal murray, the guy thats akshully in the playoffs. any other brainbussers?

Axe
08-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Ja got some dog in him, I remember when he was chirping at James Harden after making a jump shot. Got to love his passion and fearlessness even though the sample size is small I just hope he does't get seriously injured try to out leap everybody. .
Yeah the kid's got potential for sure. He reminds me of derrick rose during his early years in the league but i think ja should go try to control his swag until he can prove to the league that he's worthy to be in a stacked conference. He shouldn't be overhyped like how kyrie irving was during his first three years playing for the cavs.

Dbrog
08-18-2020, 08:11 PM
Give me the guy who balled out in an elimination playoff game (basically what it was) and led his team to the playoffs in a tough conference. He truly is special and I haven't seen the speed and scoring ability since I saw young Iverson all those years ago. Idk why people are clowning Trae's teammates and boosting Ja's when they are basically the same quality.

insight
08-18-2020, 10:56 PM
Give me the guy who balled out in an elimination playoff game (basically what it was) and led his team to the playoffs in a tough conference. He truly is special and I haven't seen the speed and scoring ability since I saw young Iverson all those years ago. Idk why people are clowning Trae's teammates and boosting Ja's when they are basically the same quality.
The Grizzles did not make the playoffs, the elimination game was a play in game.
Trae averaged 29 points a game with 9 assist a game. Ja averaged 17 points a game with 7 assist a game. How do you come to the conclusion they are basically the same quality? I,m not saying Ja doesn't have the potential to put up those numbers but is not even close to that production right now.

insight
08-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Yeah the kid's got potential for sure. He reminds me of derrick rose during his early years in the league but i think ja should go try to control his swag until he can prove to the league that he's worthy to be in a stacked conference. He shouldn't be overhyped like how kyrie irving was during his first three years playing for the cavs.

His game is very similar to Derrick Rose, I think Ja is a better passer but Rose was a more complete scorer. The NBA is always over hyping young players to fit a narrative.

Axe
08-19-2020, 05:20 PM
His game is very similar to Derrick Rose, I think Ja is a better passer but Rose was a more complete scorer. The NBA is always over hyping young players to fit a narrative.
That's because they're interested in fresh bloods who have different talents, something which will give them more intriguing comparisons to see which among them are better than the other. Having that said, I'm hoping that the eastern conference will become more stacked as time passes by but mostly, that will take a long, long time to happen.