PDA

View Full Version : Increasing the height of the rims might prevent nba players from spamming 3 points

Lebron23
08-18-2020, 03:16 AM
From 10 feet to 10.5 feet. But elite and hardworking nba players are going to adjust from it in a couple of games.

FourthTenor
08-18-2020, 03:30 AM
From 10 feet to 10.5 feet. But elite and hardworking nba players are going to adjust from it in a couple of games.

Interesting, so you feel it might be an improvement to raise the rim by six inches, also known as “half a Leboner.”

Intriguing idea. Id wanna hear Lebron’s thoughts first, but I could see it being either really smart or really dumb. Depending on what Lebron says.

Ghost1
08-18-2020, 04:16 AM
Interesting, so you feel it might be an improvement to raise the rim by six inches, also known as “half a Leboner.”

Intriguing idea. Id wanna hear Lebron’s thoughts first, but I could see it being either really smart or really dumb. Depending on what Lebron says.

:lol:roll:

ArbitraryWater
08-18-2020, 05:28 AM
nooo

Round Mound
08-18-2020, 06:05 AM
Just eliminate the 3-point line (the game started off without it sp why not?) and bring back older rules where physical game is allowed and the game would be more exciting for us older fans. I don't really enjoy watching 3-point attempts and no defense allowed all the time.

Roundball_Rock
08-18-2020, 10:38 AM
Move the line back to where the calculus on the value of the three changes, whether that is 25 feet or 27 feet or 29 feet. It should be a supplemental part of the game, not every other play.

NBAGOAT
08-18-2020, 10:56 AM
nope really stupid idea. I think you have to move back the line comically for over half the teams in the league to prioritize midrange over 3's where it's impractical. Getting rid of the 3pt line would be ugly. we see 5 guys stand around the paint and overplay the backdoor double post guys before they can even catch the ball like boston did with embiid yesterday. Easy way to at least curtail 3pt foul drawing is giving 2 fts instead of 3. It cant be abused too much because getting 2fts is always a good offensive possession.

make refs rule pretty vigilantly on offensive screening likely with illegal screens. It's logical to think physical play is what matters but teams often shed perimeter defenders with screens if they're hounding a guy on ball. It's really hard for a defender to fight over a double screen like the celtics run and clips used to run with cp3 for example.

Marchesk
08-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Move the line back to where the calculus on the value of the three changes, whether that is 25 feet or 27 feet or 29 feet. It should be a supplemental part of the game, not every other play.

This along with eliminating the corner 3. That will get rid of five guys standing around the line.

Or, you could change it to 2.5 points. It's not that hard for people to keep track of increments of 0.5. It will look weird to lose 105.5 to 105, but it's just a number.

Marchesk
08-18-2020, 12:01 PM
make refs rule pretty vigilantly on offensive screening likely with illegal screens. It's logical to think physical play is what matters but teams often shed perimeter defenders with screens if they're hounding a guy on ball. It's really hard for a defender to fight over a double screen like the celtics run and clips used to run with cp3 for example.

This also. You could even make screens illegal past the three point line. That would bring some value back to the midrange, where screens get guys good open looks.

Gimmedarock
08-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Game is perfect now. I don’t get the desire to change anything.

NBAGOAT
08-18-2020, 12:40 PM
This also. You could even make screens illegal past the three point line. That would bring some value back to the midrange, where screens get guys good open looks.

making screens illegal past the 3point line is actually game changing and interesting but I think it's only fun to talk in theory. even if the nba magically decided we want to emphasize defense again, most coaches would never agree because they have to completely revamp their offensive sets and defensive philosophy

Horatio33
08-18-2020, 12:40 PM
I don't really enjoy watching 3-point attempts and no defense allowed all the time.

Why do you love Charles Barkley then? He shot a lot of threes at under 30% and didn't play defence.

TheCorporation
08-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Goat Tenor

baudkarma
08-18-2020, 05:23 PM
Just eliminate the 3-point line (the game started off without it sp why not?) and bring back older rules where physical game is allowed and the game would be more exciting for us older fans. I don't really enjoy watching 3-point attempts and no defense allowed all the time.

I'm an older fan. Don't want to see the NBA return to the era of the Bad Boy Pistons or the early 90's Knicks under Pat Riley, where players were clutching and grabbing and mugging each other and the game flow was like molasses running uphill in the winter. (That's an old southern expression for those of you who don't know.)

The game needs a balance between free-flowing, exciting offense, and smart, effective defensive play. For a long time NBA rules favored the defense, but where we are now the rules definitely favor the offense. I want rules that promote great plays and great players on both ends of the court.

baudkarma
08-18-2020, 05:27 PM
And so the entire rest of the world, high schools, colleges, rec leagues, foreign leagues, the Olympics, FIBA, will all be shooting on a ten foot rim... but the NBA will be at ten and a half feet.

That's incredibly stupid.

Gudo
08-18-2020, 06:06 PM
I would go for allowing more defensive freedom, some form of hand checking or physical contact. That would result to haigher fatigue and leas confidence for shooters.

Axe
08-18-2020, 06:12 PM
What will happen to the splash bros then if this becomes the case?

Round Mound
08-18-2020, 08:03 PM
Why do you love Charles Barkley then? He shot a lot of threes at under 30% and didn't play defence.

I didnt enjoy watching him take threes either (yet he still was shooting 58-55% in two-pointers and over 20 PPG) but it was a different era: players took some threes back then in today's nba everything is about threes, everthing!. Barkley did not have a defensive anchor like what Malone and Stockton had in Mark Eaton. When Barkley had Moses he was pretty good at defense (finished top 7 in defensive rating) but that only lasted 1-2 years. In today's game there is no contact allowed. No need for strong players since shots and rebounds are hardly cotested. So its no really fun watching the NBA as it once was. That's a fact.

Whoah10115
08-18-2020, 08:45 PM
No need to eliminate the 3.

Just allow people to play defense.

I'm young. Watching yesterday was boring.

BigShotBob
08-18-2020, 09:07 PM
The corner three is the problem. Get rid of that and bring back hand-checking and defensive three seconds and things would be a lot better.

Horatio33
08-18-2020, 11:11 PM
Wrong thread

FKAri
08-18-2020, 11:24 PM
The corner three is the problem. Get rid of that and bring back hand-checking and defensive three seconds and things would be a lot better.

I agree. The lack of tools available to a perimeter defender is a big flaw in the modern game imo. But you can't make drastic changes in one fell swoop or the power shift will really hit some players and teams hard.

I also find the idea that someone mentioned earlier of outlawing screens beyond the 3pt line to be interesting. Not sure if it'd work but it's interesting. It's hard to gauge the second order effects of something like that. It'd also mean no more things like half court screens to interrupt a defender applying a full court press.