PDA

View Full Version : luka is a terrible defender

Bronbron23
08-18-2020, 07:54 AM
First off i actually luka. He's one of the best playmakers I've ever seen and he's crafty as hell. I dont have a problem with luka it's his idiotic fan base that say shit like hes the goat or he's way better than kawhi. You guys only look at half the game. As good as luka is on offense he's worse on the other end. He gets used like a dish rag defensively and nobody talks about it.

It's all relative. Luka is so good that we're not comparing him to us or even most nba players. He's being compared to present and past greats. Most of them could defend though. Even bird who i see brought up as a comparison was a much better defender. Guys like mj, bron and kareem were a thousand times better. Luka has no chance at being the goat unless he gets way better defensively.

imdaman99
08-18-2020, 09:38 AM
He's not athletic enough to be a good defender. But the good thing he's got height, so he can hide on certain players. You can tell the Clips searched him out on defense, and tried to put him in pick and rolls because they know he doesn't want to use any energy at that end. The Steph treatment the Cavs ran in the 16 Finals. And the thing is, I'm pretty sure he has 2-3 plus defenders with him out there (KP, Klieber, Finny-Smith). So what the hell are they doing giving up so many points? They can set all these offensive records they want, but they won't win anything of significance until they improve their D.

ralph_i_el
08-18-2020, 09:45 AM
He's not athletic enough to be a good defender. But the good thing he's got height, so he can hide on certain players. You can tell the Clips searched him out on defense, and tried to put him in pick and rolls because they know he doesn't want to use any energy at that end. The Steph treatment the Cavs ran in the 16 Finals. And the thing is, I'm pretty sure he has 2-3 plus defenders with him out there (KP, Klieber, Finny-Smith). So what the hell are they doing giving up so many points? They can set all these offensive records they want, but they won't win anything of significance until they improve their D.

That's crap. Lots of really good defenders aren't that athletic.

Bronbron23
08-18-2020, 09:48 AM

Yeah thats pretty much what ive been saying. I do think he could be better. You dont necessarily have to be crazy Athletically to a good defender. Klay isnt all that athletic and hes a very good perimeter defender. With luka part of it is just as you say not wanting to spend the energy or even just mental lapses. There was a pivotal point in the game yesterday with under 2 minutes and they were down 4 and he was busy arguing with the refs while his man hit a wide open 3 to go up 7. Get a stop there and a bucket on the other wnd and its a one processing game. Go to 5:09 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBxcQwKCAA

Ghost1
08-18-2020, 10:07 AM
Yeah thats pretty much what ive been saying. I do think he could be better. You dont necessarily have to be crazy Athletically to a good defender. Klay isnt all that athletic and hes a very good perimeter defender. With luka part of it is just as you say not wanting to spend the energy or even just mental lapses. There was a pivotal point in the game yesterday with under 2 minutes and they were down 4 and he was busy arguing with the refs while his man hit a wide open 3 to go up 7. Get a stop there and a bucket on the other wnd and its a one processing game. Go to 5:09 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBxcQwKCAA

klay just runs around screens and shoots jumpers without even trying to dribble lol

on that play he was upset with Hardaway for a pathetic turnover and curry for taking a heroball three on back to back possessions

SamuraiSWISH
08-18-2020, 03:25 PM

Westbrick is athletic and heÂ’s an utterly horrendous defender. Especially given his athletic gifts he didnÂ’t work for. Athleticism isnÂ’t what dictates a good defender at all. It can help but nah. LeBron sucks at defense. So does Harden. Who why is OP hanging off the nuts of Luka?

ArbitraryWater
08-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Westbrick is athletic and heÂ’s an utterly horrendous defender. Especially given his athletic gifts he didnÂ’t work for. Athleticism isnÂ’t what dictates a good defender at all. It can help but nah. LeBron sucks at defense. So does Harden. Who why is OP hanging off the nuts of Luka?

LeBron is a better defender than MJ you moron haha

HBK_Kliq_2
08-18-2020, 04:49 PM
He's atrocious and definitely worse then Curry. Look what Curry needed: 2 goat defenders Iggy/Dray

Until Luka gets GOAT level defenders around him, he'll never win shit.

His offense is also frustrating to watch at times as well, he's way too ball dominant and has that Harden/LeBron syndrome. Pass the damn ball you chump, all his teammates felt frozen out in game 1.

SamuraiSWISH
08-18-2020, 04:54 PM
:oldlol:

What? No person has ever uttered this who actually understands and watches basketball.

He had three good not great defensive years, and that’s it.

Never even close to Jordan in terms of peak level of play defensively (DPOY) or longevity and consistency.

Bron has been horrendous on that end of the floor for many years now. You never even saw Jordan and didn’t start watching over there in Germany until 2010 when you were busy snitching on or getting bullied by classmates.

You have no clue what you’re talking about.

This is the same guy too chicken shit to guard KD on a critical defensive possession in a Finals game, that he cowardly went under a screen to force JR Smith on him.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-18-2020, 05:07 PM
:oldlol:

What? No person has ever uttered this who actually understands and watches basketball.

He had three good not great defensive years, and that’s it.

Never even close to Jordan in terms of peak level of play defensively (DPOY) or longevity and consistency.

Bron has been horrendous on that end of the floor for many years now. You never even saw Jordan and didn’t start watching over there in Germany until 2010 when you were busy snitching on or getting bullied by classmates.

You have no clue what you’re talking about.

This is the same guy too chicken shit to guard KD on a critical defensive possession in a Finals game, that he cowardly went under a screen to force JR Smith on him.

Don't forget when LeBron played all 82 games in 2017-18:

Cavs defensive Rtg: 111.9 (29th of 30)

Bronbron23
08-18-2020, 06:43 PM
klay just runs around screens and shoots jumpers without even trying to dribble lol

on that play he was upset with Hardaway for a pathetic turnover and curry for taking a heroball three on back to back possessions

Ok and whats wrong with that? If yoy can score 22-25 points a game without monopolizing the ball how is that a bad thing?

And klay has developed a decent mid range game off the dribble too. Dont forget he was the best player on a 2016 warriors team that was breezing through the first 2 rounds until curry came back. Its not like klay is a scrub.

That said i prefer someone who is elite on and off ball like mj or kawhi but klay is nice still.

SATAN
08-18-2020, 06:52 PM
Several people have mentioned his defense. He's a good player but he's over rated due to his stats. Dallas usually seem to do fine without him but people act like Luka is the offense. If you re-watch yesterday's game you will notice Dallas actually did better when Luka was on the bench. Also, flops all the time, complains about everything, looks like he's going to throw a tantrum at any moment, generally looks annoying as ****, not a great shooter ect ect

If the media tries to decide this guy is the goat one day, he likely won't deserve it.

Unlike LeBron..

SATAN
08-18-2020, 06:55 PM

Have you even watched basketball recently? Even Harden has put in more effort on defense this season.

Smoke117
08-18-2020, 06:55 PM
That's crap. Lots of really good defenders aren't that athletic.

Yeah, I was gonna say that's a piss poor excuse. Chris Paul is undersized and old and is still one of the best defensive pg's in the league.

ZenMaster7210
08-19-2020, 02:17 AM

:facepalm:roll::facepalm

ZenMaster7210
08-19-2020, 02:23 AM
Don't forget when LeBron played all 82 games in 2017-18:

Cavs defensive Rtg: 111.9 (29th of 30)

But but check my “stats” :oldlol: