PDA

View Full Version : Mavs had a 115 ORTG WITHOUT Luka this year.

StrongLurk
08-19-2020, 11:38 PM
A 115 ORTG would STILL be the best in the league. The Mavs have an incredible offense, even without Luka the superstar playing.

Sure the Blazers are hot and have firepower, but the Lakers should be feeling lucky that they don't have to face the Mavs in the first round.

Bronbron23
08-20-2020, 12:11 AM
A 115 ORTG would STILL be the best in the league. The Mavs have an incredible offense, even without Luka the superstar playing.

Sure the Blazers are hot and have firepower, but the Lakers should be feeling lucky that they don't have to face the Mavs in the first round.

yeah i noticed they dont miss a beat when hes out. Not sure it would be sustainable in multiple games but they're fine without him in spurts

ArbitraryWater
08-20-2020, 12:12 AM
yeah i noticed they dont miss a beat when hes out. Not sure it would be sustainable in multiple games but they're fine without him in spurts

You made a sensible and accurate post.

NBAGOAT
08-20-2020, 12:16 AM

you mean sustainable for whole games since the regular season is a pretty big sample size. carlisle really knows how to make offenses work without traditional shot creators and pgs. havent had a great passing pg since kidd and dallas was top 5 on offense with monta as their main creator for a few years.

Carbine
08-20-2020, 12:48 AM
This to me only confirms Rick's place at the very top of coaches in this league. He's as good as it gets.

I think he's a much better coach than Doc Rivers. His team plays a certain brand of basketball, whereas Doc has all the perimeter defensive talent in the world but attention to detail is not there.

ralph_i_el
08-20-2020, 11:01 AM
Rick Carlisle always puts together good bench lineups. This is a year in year out thing with the Mavs. They always have some sort of excellent strategy to deploy for bench minutes. In past years it was JJ Barea PnR with shooters. This year it's been more geared around getting Boban the ball in the post. Lots of teams run bench units with no good plan for how to score besides the lucky teams that have a good enough chucker as their 6th man.

Roundball_Rock
08-20-2020, 11:05 AM

In the sense that they can keep scoring. As the OP noted, they have a 115 oRTG with him off the court, which is 1 better than the #2 offense of the Clippers. What Luka does, though, is super charge them to a league of their own. With him they are up to 119. In other words, with him off the gap between the Mavericks' offense and the #2 Clippers' offense is the same as the gap between the Clippers and the #21 Pistons offense.

Bronbron23
08-20-2020, 11:23 AM
In the sense that they can keep scoring. As the OP noted, they have a 115 oRTG with him off the court, which is 1 better than the #2 offense of the Clippers. What Luka does, though, is super charge them to a league of their own. With him they are up to 119. In other words, with him off the gap between the Mavericks' offense and the #2 Clippers' offense is the same as the gap between the Clippers and the #21 Pistons offense.

What about defense? He is a liability. I wonder if they're better defensively when hes off like the warriors are when steph is out. When steph was out in 16 warriors were having no problem winning playoff games. They were only slightly worse offensively but considerably better defensively.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-20-2020, 11:31 AM
What about defense? He is a liability. I wonder if they're better defensively when hes off like the warriors are when steph is out. When steph was out in 16 warriors were having no problem winning playoff games. They were only slightly worse offensively but considerably better defensively.

They're +2.5 on defense without him in the lineup. You gotta be diligent with these numbers though because they're influenced by role players.

Luka is a starter and likely taken out with another starter or two.

In DRPM, he was -0.6. So still a net negative, but for the reasons I stated above, not nearly as bad.

NBAGOAT
08-20-2020, 11:31 AM

What the hell is this. They were much worse on offense without him. Think he was a +21 that year which is up there with anyone. Any impact metric had him top 2 at least.

They could win playoff games because they were so elite with him and playing .500 teams. Even if they’re like a 50 win team without him which is a pretty elite cast, that means curry added 23 wins to a 50 win team which is all time level impact

HBK_Kliq_2
08-20-2020, 12:26 PM
Clippers are the exact opposite without Kawhi.

Clippers with Kawhi on court: 118.8 offensive rating

Clippers with Kawhi off court: 76.9 offensive rating

+41.9 difference Jesus Christ. If these shitheads can just last 1 minute without Kawhi holding their hand, they will get through this series.

Sulico
08-20-2020, 01:00 PM
I'm biginning to have the same feeling of joy about this Mavs I had about Warrioirs in 2013.

And same love for Luka that I have for Steph since 2013.

Bronbron23
08-20-2020, 01:12 PM
What the hell is this. They were much worse on offense without him. Think he was a +21 that year which is up there with anyone. Any impact metric had him top 2 at least.

They could win playoff games because they were so elite with him and playing .500 teams. Even if they’re like a 50 win team without him which is a pretty elite cast, that means curry added 23 wins to a 50 win team which is all time level impact

But the pre kd warriors weren't 50% without steph they have a winning record including the post season. The warriors without klay on the other hand struggle big time. They're like .300 or something like that. Klays impact has always been underrated by steph fans. Theyd like to think that steph is the engine but he really isnt. Hes more the icing on the cake.

ralph_i_el
08-20-2020, 01:28 PM
This is basically a point attacking Luka because Boban shoots like 70% on ridiculously high usage for 5 minutes a game.

StrongLurk
08-20-2020, 01:56 PM
Clippers are the exact opposite without Kawhi.

Clippers with Kawhi on court: 118.8 offensive rating

Clippers with Kawhi off court: 76.9 offensive rating

+41.9 difference Jesus Christ. If these shitheads can just last 1 minute without Kawhi holding their hand, they will get through this series.

Do you have the ratings for when it's just Kawhi on the court (without PG) and ratings for just PG on the court (without Kawhi)?

Those numbers you posted are prime level Lebron differences.

Stephonit
08-20-2020, 03:14 PM
But the pre kd warriors weren't 50% without steph they have a winning record including the post season. The warriors without klay on the other hand struggle big time. They're like .300 or something like that. Klays impact has always been underrated by steph fans. Theyd like to think that steph is the engine but he really isnt. Hes more the icing on the cake.

Doing your best Charles Boyer impression I see.