PDA

View Full Version : All it takes is Beverly being out for the Clippers to look mediocre

Shogon
08-24-2020, 09:03 AM
Someone told me they were like a .500 team with Beverly out over the course of like 12 games or something? While not a large sample size, it's not exactly small either.

When Beverly returns, the Clippers will cruise control to a title... might meet some slight resistance from the Lakers and or Bucks, but it'll be mostly on cruise...

and the irrational Kawhi hype train will continue... I pray that I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

This is the kind of shit that proves it takes a team to win... not individuals... yet we celebrate all of these guys as if they did it alone, it's lunacy... sheer lunacy, I tell you!

FKAri
08-24-2020, 09:41 AM
When does he return tho?

Shogon
08-24-2020, 10:38 AM
When does he return tho?

Good question. Short answer? I don't know anything.

Long rambling non-answer... yesterday, Doc said before the game he wouldn't be playing in game 4 and that he didn't have an update on his health, which doesn't sound good. Tomorrow will be a full month.

To be slightly more optimistic for him, he was listed as doubtful for game 3... therefore my personal interpretation, if it's worth a damn, is that he's getting there. I just can't see Beverly sitting out the entire series if the Clippers look to be in jeopardy, which they currently do without him. He's too much of a competitor. He'll either come back, or his injury is a lot worse than they originally thought and publicly stated, which I mean, I guess for him to be out a full month, that's already true.

tontoz
08-24-2020, 10:52 AM
Beverly played in game 1. They still lost.

Shogon
08-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Beverly played in game 1. They still lost.

Didn't the Clippers win game 1?

Beverley was +14 and they won by less than that... also I didn't watch game 1 and didn't even know hey played, well, the fact that he went then and hasn't come back doesn't bode well. Maybe he isn't coming back at all this series.

That might cost them a title, if so.

tontoz
08-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Didn't the Clippers win game 1?

Beverley was +14 and they won by less than that... also I didn't watch game 1 and didn't even know hey played, well, the fact that he went then and hasn't come back doesn't bode well. Maybe he isn't coming back at all this series.

That might cost them a title, if so.

LOL my bad. He had 5 fouls in 20 minutes trying to guard Luka. He wasn't much of a factor.

The Clippers have the same issues with or without him, no urgency and a lack of execution.

Roundball_Rock
08-24-2020, 11:24 AM
With him out Morris is taking the lead on defending Luka and getting roasted. Where are PG and Kawhi, though? :confusedshrug:

RealSkipBayless
08-24-2020, 12:05 PM
All we've heard all season long is how they have the deepest team in the league.. Strange how that works.

Kawhi should've just stayed with the Raptors.. Instead when he tried to recruit 4-5 people in the summer and they all said no... he went to Paul George. That was a desperate last resort and now it's costing him.

Shogon
08-24-2020, 12:08 PM
All we've heard all season long is how they have the deepest team in the league.. Strange how that works.

Kawhi should've just stayed with the Raptors.. Instead when he tried to recruit 4-5 people in the summer and they all said no... he went to Paul George. That was a desperate last resort and now it's costing him.

They do have a deep team but Beverley's impact is underrated.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Beverly not playing + Paul George -5BPM and still tied 2-2. If they get their act together, nobody will beat them.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-24-2020, 12:57 PM
With him out Morris is taking the lead on defending Luka and getting roasted. Where are PG and Kawhi, though? :confusedshrug:

Kawhi late in 4th quarter and OT was guarding Luka and Luka just couldn't score on him. Kawhi also made the 3 pointer with 2 mins left in regulation, the no look pass to Morris for 3 to put clippers up 1 with 10 secs left in overtime. Meanwhile, George is doing nothing on both ends and even missed a wide open layup in overtime. Very final play, kawhi was switched off of Luka and just went to go box out. I think Kawhi was just exhausted. Its not easy playing the GOAT offense when your co star is playing like a g leaguer

tpols
08-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Yup... I remember OP hyping them minus PG13 and Kawhi... LOL. They would be so lotto without them both.

Roundball_Rock
08-24-2020, 01:33 PM
Kawhi late in 4th quarter and OT was guarding Luka and Luka just couldn't score on him. Kawhi also made the 3 pointer with 2 mins left in regulation, the no look pass to Morris for 3 to put clippers up 1 with 10 secs left in overtime. Meanwhile, George is doing nothing on both ends and even missed a wide open layup in overtime. Very final play, kawhi was switched off of Luka and just went to go box out. I think Kawhi was just exhausted. Its not easy playing the GOAT offense when your co star is playing like a g leaguer

Good points. Kawhi limited Luka a lot when he guarded him--he just has done it so rarely in the series. I can see the argument for why he won't: he has to be the primary scorer and primary playmaker on the other end. Where is PG, though? Isn't he supposed to be this elite defender? In Game 4 he basically gave up on playing on offense halfway through the game. So why not step up to the plate on defense when you are doing nothing on offense?

I remember OP hyping them minus PG13 and Kawhi... LOL. They would be so lotto without them both.

Any team would be in the lottery without its two best players. :facepalm If you take the two best players off of every team, how many teams match up to having Williams, Harrell, Morris, Beverly?

HBK_Kliq_2
08-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Good points. Kawhi limited Luka a lot when he guarded him--he just has done it so rarely in the series. I can see the argument for why he won't: he has to be the primary scorer and primary playmaker on the other end. Where is PG, though? Isn't he supposed to be this elite defender? In Game 4 he basically gave up on playing on offense halfway through the game. So why not step up to the plate on defense when you are doing nothing on offense?

Any team would be in the lottery without its two best players. :facepalm If you take the two best players off of every team, how many teams match up to having Williams, Harrell, Morris, Beverly?

He has a -5 BPM this series. So I really have no excuse for him. Just playing terrible on both ends. Still 1 shot away from being up 3-1 is crazy.

Roundball_Rock
08-24-2020, 02:00 PM
He has a -5 BPM this series. So I really have no excuse for him. Just playing terrible on both ends. Still 1 shot away from being up 3-1 is crazy.

I am sure he will have a big game at some point to salvage his top line averages but this series likely will go 7 so one big game, on top of a big Game 1, won't be enough, especially if he is not affecting the game meaningfully in any other facet.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-24-2020, 02:06 PM
I am sure he will have a big game at some point to salvage his top line averages but this series likely will go 7 so one big game, on top of a big Game 1, won't be enough, especially if he is not affecting the game meaningfully in any other facet.

They did catch a break with injury luck though. Porzingis is still being evaluated and Beverly is on a week rest now.

jayfan
08-24-2020, 02:13 PM
LOL my bad. He had 5 fouls in 20 minutes trying to guard Luka. He wasn't much of a factor.

The Clippers have the same issues with or without him, no urgency and a lack of execution.

He shut Luka down (relatively) in those minutes. He's a big factor. OP is right.