PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with the players decision to finish the season?

Marchesk
08-27-2020, 01:28 PM
???

baudkarma
08-27-2020, 03:43 PM
It's more like a decision to not cancel the season immediately. There's nothing binding about it, they could change their minds and walk off the court tomorrow. I would imagine that the players have a whole list of demands and if the NBA doesn't play ball... no more season.

MaxPlayer
08-27-2020, 03:45 PM
Yes, basketball players should play basketball.

DoctorP
08-27-2020, 03:46 PM
im surprised they will finish it. im not sure many of them are taking it that serious anyways. some of these games are a total joke

RRR3
08-27-2020, 04:31 PM
From a selfish standpoint I’m happy I get to watch more basketball. However I’m also frustrated that they didn’t use this strike to fight for real change. This could have been the start of a general strike to get us Medicare for all, criminal justice reform, defunding and demilitarizing the police, and other policies that would help not only the black community but all of America. Instead it was just a performative display.

DoctorP
08-27-2020, 04:38 PM
From a selfish standpoint I’m happy I get to watch more basketball. However I’m also frustrated that they didn’t use this strike to fight for real change. This could have been the start of a general strike to get us Medicare for all, criminal justice reform, defunding and demilitarizing the police, and other policies that would help not only the black community but all of America. Instead it was just a performative display.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/1d5Zn8FqmJqApu4hNU/source.gif

RRR3
08-27-2020, 04:44 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/1d5Zn8FqmJqApu4hNU/source.gif
Capitalist pig. Straight to gulag.

Rudeboy3
08-27-2020, 04:48 PM
No, if you're going to boycott, BOYCOTT!! Don't pull this bullshit and then come back with your tails between your legs less than 24 hours later and act like you did something. Just look like clowns

ArbitraryWater
08-27-2020, 04:49 PM
You mean the decision not to strike?

HBK_Kliq_2
08-27-2020, 04:51 PM
If they didn't finish the season, the owners would of forced a lockout next season. Of course it was a good decision.

senelcoolidge
08-27-2020, 04:52 PM
I haven't even watch a game since this bubble thing started. They can cancel the season, just don't interfere with the draft and next season. This season is already lost.

3ball
08-27-2020, 05:48 PM
No

It's another slap on the wrist that doesn't produce change

Shame on Lebron for caving.. the old rankings are re-instituted

1. Jordan

11. Lebron

bdonovan
08-27-2020, 06:00 PM
I thought about this and I'm not sure what would be realized politically by ending the season. They made their voices heard by stopping play for a few days. But if they pushed it too far, maybe there would be a fan backlash to the BLM cause. And it wouldn't change the way cops conducted themselves. It's not like the NBA owners have much say over police training, so they couldn't force any meaningful concessions from them.

HBK_Kliq_2
08-27-2020, 06:07 PM
No

1. Jordan

11. Lebron

You going to torture all of us with no basketball. While you rant about how "'xman" owned Pippen 30 years ago? **** that noise, we want new legends

3ball
08-27-2020, 06:11 PM
You going to torture all of us with no basketball. While you rant about how "'xman" owned Pippen 30 years ago? **** that noise, we want new legends

28 years ago... Not 30... You're such a liar

(That's how you guys respond to me often times... Seems fitting here)

Real Men Wear Green
08-27-2020, 06:38 PM
They could get pissed by another incident and have another pause but they've committed a lot to the restart in the bubble and now have their families quarantining to enter the bubble as well. A covid outbreak inside the bubble could end the season but I don't think they'll do it just to protest. Remember that on top of all the quarantine and sacrifice of time and liberty they would get hit hard for hundreds of millions, maybe even billions in the next CBA.

3ball
08-27-2020, 07:58 PM
They could get pissed by another incident and have another pause but they've committed a lot to the restart in the bubble and now have their families quarantining to enter the bubble as well. A covid outbreak inside the bubble could end the season but I don't think they'll do it just to protest. Remember that on top of all the quarantine and sacrifice of time and liberty they would get hit hard for hundreds of millions, maybe even billions in the next CBA.

All worth it

Axe
08-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Best hope there must not be another interruption for the rest of the postseason

Gimmedarock
08-28-2020, 12:04 AM
I’m surprised it’s starting back up. I say cancel it and cancel the NFL. I know they’re too greedy to cancel but it would be nice. Put the spotlight on the issues and the issues only. Nobody in the damn country needs entertained until there’s change. I’ll do without sports.

Marchesk
08-28-2020, 12:46 AM
I’m surprised it’s starting back up. I say cancel it and cancel the NFL. I know they’re too greedy to cancel but it would be nice. Put the spotlight on the issues and the issues only. Nobody in the damn country needs entertained until there’s change. I’ll do without sports.

So cancel Netflix, Spotify, Steam, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Youtube, Cable ....

And why stop at police shootings? There's Climate Change, MeToo, Poverty/Classism, LBGTQ+ ...

No entertainment for anyone of any kind until we fix all important issues.

Sulico
08-28-2020, 01:40 AM
It's more like a decision to not cancel the season immediately. There's nothing binding about it, they could change their minds and walk off the court tomorrow. I would imagine that the players have a whole list of demands and if the NBA doesn't play ball... no more season.

List of demands? What could they demand? And from whom?

Gimmedarock
08-28-2020, 07:12 AM
So cancel Netflix, Spotify, Steam, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Youtube, Cable ....

And why stop at police shootings? There's Climate Change, MeToo, Poverty/Classism, LBGTQ+ ...

No entertainment for anyone of any kind until we fix all important issues.

Works for me.

ImKobe
08-28-2020, 07:18 AM
No

1. Jordan

11. Lebron

You don't watch the game anyways..

Players have a much bigger platform by playing the ****ing game, I told y'all this was nothing but a power PR move by the players to force the league/owners to do more pro-black shit. Lebron wasn't going to quit on the season because some criminal got shot in the back 7 times when resisting arrest.

There's going to be 10s of millions watching the Finals, how many people would these players reach out to if they only protested on the streets?

Silver finally put on his big boy pants and reminded these guys how much money they'd be losing out on :kobe: They already lost 25% this season, the new CBA would likely cut close to 50% of their future salaries, had they actually quit on the season.

3ball
08-28-2020, 03:27 PM
You don't watch the game anyways..

Players have a much bigger platform by playing the ****ing game, I told y'all this was nothing but a power PR move by the players to force the league/owners to do more pro-black shit. Lebron wasn't going to quit on the season because some criminal got shot in the back 7 times when resisting arrest.

There's going to be 10s of millions watching the Finals, how many people would these players reach out to if they only protested on the streets?

Silver finally put on his big boy pants and reminded these guys how much money they'd be losing out on :kobe: They already lost 25% this season, the new CBA would likely cut close to 50% of their future salaries, had they actually quit on the season.

Wearing a blm shirt on tv doesn't do shit.. the playoffs are NOT a platform

Being in the community face-to-face has a real impact.. community improvement is the task

a cute saying on your jersey doesn't do shit.. people simply want these guys to play, so silver created a false narrative that their impact is bigger in the bubble rather than talking face to face with the community and city leaders

So it's a false narrative that they have impact in the bubble.. total BS

Real Men Wear Green
08-28-2020, 04:51 PM
All worth it

The value of such a protest would depend on its effect. Police reform on a nationwide scale that they want to see is impossible with the current President and numerous Republican governors that support him. This protest would not get rid of them.

Marchesk
08-28-2020, 05:14 PM
The value of such a protest would depend on its effect. Police reform on a nationwide scale that they want to see is impossible with the current President and numerous Republican governors that support him. This protest would not get rid of them.

It also takes time to reform policing nationwide to the point that no more questionable shootings occur, if such a thing is even possible. But let's say reduce black shootings to the same rate as whites, while reducing the overall rate to something society can accept, realistically speaking.

Marchesk
08-28-2020, 05:21 PM
Works for me.

That's nice. Those problems aren't all going to be fixed in our lifetimes. To paraphrase Jesus, problems will always be with you. So I'm keeping my entertainment, and I'm not expecting celebrities to sacrifice their careers for that day when society's problems are solved.

Patrick Chewing
08-28-2020, 05:23 PM

Go away clown.

CTbasketball92
08-28-2020, 05:24 PM
WHat I will say, as Jaylen Brown's question, is that most of these players will not be out in the community doing things.. They'll do a couple things and then get back to playing 2K, smashing IG girls, etc. And there's nothing wrong with that at all; fixing society is literally not their job. LeBron has formed an anti-voter suppression group and has planned to give millions of dollars to make sure people get to vote this year WHILE he's been in the bubble. These guys with their millions of dollars and expansive networks can absolutely do meaningful work from where they are if they want to. It's not flashy and symbolic in a way that easily registers with people, but the things LeBron has done are a lot more important than gripping a megaphone and shouting at a crowd in a time when protests are dissipating anyways. Considering that players would lose a lot of money for what largely amounts to symbolism, I think the bubble should continue if most of them want it to. Based on the meetings, that appears to be the case.

I'll say the playoffs aren't necessarily the best platform, but they're def. a platform. If ballplayers speaking out on social justice from their twitter account is using their voice, than so is kneeling, wearing the BLM shirts and speaking on their experiences with racism.

Gohan
08-28-2020, 06:24 PM
Works for me.

This, I’m thuggin outside I don’t need cable

Nashty
08-28-2020, 06:32 PM
They should all be in jail for supporting a terrorist group BLM.

fsvr54
08-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Why would any basketball fan vote no? ******s

rmt
08-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Fathers in the home and school choice is what is going to improve black lives - not boycotting NBA players and their hypocritical pull back when they hear how much it's gonna cost them.

Manny98
08-29-2020, 07:20 PM

That's a job for the president not basketball players