PDA

View Full Version : Jose Calderon in 08 shot 52/43/91. Averaged 11/8.

Kblaze8855
08-30-2020, 09:44 PM
Was second in ortg for the few of you who care. Third the next season when he averaged 13/9 on 50/41/98. I was just reading a thing on him being an all star snub one of those years and an argument here on if he was better than Jason Kidd due mostly to shooting percentages(.....).

Little of Jose for those who need a refresher:

https://youtu.be/jAtAnpt3K_Y

I don’t have much more for you other than to say....

Isnt it crazy he was still starting games in 2019?

He looked 34 as a rookie.

Feels like he and Andre Miller should be somewhere with a podcast about confounding the athletic.

DMAVS41
08-30-2020, 09:50 PM
He played a lot in 2014 on that Mavericks team that took the Spurs to 7. On the short list of worst defensive players I've ever seen, but damn can he shoot.

red1
08-30-2020, 09:54 PM
I remember jose and those seasons very well. incredible shooter and great pointguard skills overall. he was also a terrible terrible defender which is why he had to fight tj ford for the starting spot despite being far more skilled.

crazy indeed that he played so long despite coming to the NBA at an older age than most.

he has the nba record for the highest freethrow percentage in a season - made 151 out of 154 freethrows. thats unreal. :roll:

red1
08-30-2020, 09:55 PM
He played a lot in 2014 on that Mavericks team that took the Spurs to 7. On the short list of worst defensive players I've ever seen, but damn can he shoot.

worst lateral movement ever for a pointguard.

and the worst position to be slow considering how fast nearly every starting NBA pointguard is. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
08-30-2020, 09:58 PM
I remember jose and those seasons very well. incredible shooter and great pointguard skills overall. he was also a terrible terrible defender which is why he had to fight tj ford for the starting spot despite being far more skilled.

crazy indeed that he played so long despite coming to the NBA at an older age than most.

he has the nba record for the highest freethrow percentage in a season - made 151 out of 154 freethrows. thats unreal. :roll:

And shot .798 the next year. Not sure if he was in his head having just set the record or if he had some other issue but....it happened.

RRR3
08-30-2020, 09:59 PM
According to Tpols he should have been all-nba that year

red1
08-30-2020, 10:03 PM
And shot .798 the next year. Not sure if he was in his head having just set the record or if he had some other issue but....it happened.

yeah everyone was counting his streak of consecutive freethrows made that year in 09, the announcers were making a big deal out of it - I think he hit or came close to 100 in a row. so he was definitely aware and trying to set a record.

red1
08-30-2020, 10:05 PM
such a shame because if he was average or even just bad at defense instead of awful - he would've been a damn good player. :oldlol:

Shooter
08-30-2020, 10:07 PM
According to Tpols he should have been all-nba that year

:lol

I stopped at Tpols :roll:

Euroleague
08-31-2020, 09:26 AM
Calderon is one of the most overrated European players ever. He was a good ball handler, OK passer, and he was a good stand still shooter. But he didn't offer anything other than that. Very little creation or play making. Not good at pick and roll. He was a good finisher (good leaping ability and strength) and could knock down open shots very well, but in general, he couldn't score unless he had an open drive or an open shot. His defense was also horrible.

RRR3
08-31-2020, 09:37 AM
Calderon is one of the most overrated European players ever. He was a good ball handler, OK passer, and he was a good stand still shooter. But he didn't offer anything other than that. Very little creation or play making. Not good at pick and roll. He was a good finisher (good leaping ability and strength) and could knock down open shots very well, but in general, he couldn't score unless he had an open drive or an open shot. His defense was also horrible.
He was far better than VSpan

Euroleague
08-31-2020, 07:46 PM
He was far better than VSpan

Lay off the crack pipe.

tpols
08-31-2020, 07:56 PM
Who cares if a guy has a great ORTG on 11 ppg?

The lack of volume makes it meaningless.

Ghost1
08-31-2020, 08:05 PM
Lay off the crack pipe.

:lol

BigShotBob
08-31-2020, 08:06 PM
He lit up Kyrie for like 38 :oldlol:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-31-2020, 08:12 PM
Jose Cal_eron an all star snub? When the hell was that?:roll::roll::roll:

Kblaze8855
08-31-2020, 08:20 PM
This is what Gilbert Arenas said to get some of the number crunchers upset:

Quote:

In a recent NBA.com blog, Gilbert Arenas broke down the Shaquille O'Neal and Pau Gasol trade and also wrote about his thoughts on whether Jose Calderon was a true All-Star snub.

"Some people wanted Jose Calderon," wrote Arenas. "Jose Calderon? Who? Come on man, this is All-Star, people. When I’ve seen some of the names that are being thrown around on the ticker as snubs, it’s killing me. I understand Calderon has the best assist-turnover ratio in the league, but you know what’s funny? All back-up point guards have the best assist-turnover ratios. Screw it, Kevin Ollie should be an All-Star then! For like five or six years, Ollie was No. 1 in assist-turnover ratio!

"An All-Star is an All-Star! He’s playing at a high level. That means, if you take him off the team, that team should fall down if he’s that one guy. An All-Star means that he is dominating the game of basketball. It’s not even about numbers necessarily, it’s about dominating.

"I could probably say that Richard Jefferson got snubbed maybe Josh Smith too. His 18 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks puts him at No. 14. Richard Jefferson is No. 13. Turkoglu is No. 15. But, El Calderon? Come on.

"I’ve been loving the way he’s been playing for the last two years. When he first came into the league he was a little timid and scared to shoot the ball, but he’s taking over that team. But All-Star? He’s about 20 years away from being an All-Star."

RRR3
08-31-2020, 08:34 PM
Lay off the crack pipe.
Calderon was a starter in the NBA. VSPan was glued to the bench :yaohappy: