PDA

View Full Version : Chris Broussard: Donovan Mitchell is Dwyane Wade with a 3pt shot

Hey Yo
08-31-2020, 01:05 AM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/1300267875710783489

discuss

TheCorporation
08-31-2020, 01:29 AM
Multiple Sauces :lol

Last year in the playoffs Mitchell was awful

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2019-nba-western-conference-first-round-jazz-vs-rockets.html

He lost 4-1 in the 1st round.

His PER for that series was...6.8
Negative VORP, WS, and BPM.
.423 TS

And his efforts in the elimination game 5?

4 for 22 18% fg And a NEGATIVE -4.9 GameScore

He has turned things around this year but his 2019 playoff campaign was insanely bad.

ThatCoolKid
08-31-2020, 01:46 AM
Stylistically he can be reminiscent as a talented slasher. Wade had a decent post/mid range game in his prime that Mitchell doesn't, although that evaporated later in his career. Wade was also a much better defender/playmaker. Also a much stronger finisher at the rim. Mitchell obviously is not as good as Wade was at his peak, where Wade was arguably a better player than Kobe. But Mitchell has time to improve still.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-31-2020, 01:47 AM
Wade was one of the best defensive guards in the league.

DMitch is ass on defense. Jamal and Mitch being horrible defenders is lowkey why they both gwan off:oldlol:

MrFonzworth
08-31-2020, 06:29 AM
Gobert setting picks for Wade would be so fun to see. Would be like Adams/Russ but if Russ had a brain.

Gohan
08-31-2020, 07:45 AM
Stylistically he can be reminiscent as a talented slasher. Wade had a decent post/mid range game in his prime that Mitchell doesn't, although that evaporated later in his career. Wade was also a much better defender/playmaker. Also a much stronger finisher at the rim. Mitchell obviously is not as good as Wade was at his peak, where Wade was arguably a better player than Kobe. But Mitchell has time to improve still.

Iverson in 2005 was better than peak wade and the best player in the league that year. Stats don’t even tell the whole story

E_Stamkos
08-31-2020, 08:14 AM
Hot take "analysts" like Chris use Twitter as a channel to drum up controversy to keep themselves relevant. He doesn't even believe half of the shit he spews.

He knows what he's doing and folks take the bait like clockwork.

warriorfan
08-31-2020, 08:20 AM
Hot take "analysts" like Chris use Twitter as a channel to drum up controversy to keep themselves relevant. He doesn't even believe half of the shit he spews.

This

Kblaze8855
08-31-2020, 08:36 AM
He is stylistically similar to what Wade might be if raised in the extreme 3 point era....but calling him Wade with a jumper says he’s better and....no. Wade was good enough that if you wanted to call him top 12-15 all time you could make your case. And had he not declined with injury you could probably make a top 10 case off just...ability. That said....

He has turned things around this year but his 2019 playoff campaign was insanely bad.

If we judge stars like that almost everyone gets shit on. You could argue Ben Gordon busted Wades ass in 07. They went out pretty lame and the bulls were relentless.

tpols
08-31-2020, 08:45 AM
Wade is a much better athlete.

r0drig0lac
08-31-2020, 09:02 AM
:rolleyes:

tontoz
08-31-2020, 11:15 AM
Wade is bigger than Mitchell and that matters. It made him better defensively and more dangerous taking it to the rim.

Mitchell does remind me of Wade at times taking it to the rim. Mitchell's jumper certainly looks to be better than Wade's but it would be pretty hard for him to reach the same level as prime Wade. He can still be a big time player without reaching Wade's level.

red1
08-31-2020, 11:44 AM
wade was the best guard help defender of his time racking up clutch steals and blocks

he was faster and even harder to guard 1on1 and harder to guard in transition

otherwise sure

BigtimeNBAFan
08-31-2020, 11:45 AM

Yes and no. It is way too early to say Mitchell is better than Dwade, but looking at just this series few NBA players have been as efficient scoring the ball as Mitchell. He has 38 ppg on 55% shooting and is also 31 of 56 from 3. It is pretty unreal. Dwade has certainly had some great playoff series over the years, but never one this good and certainly not one where he shot like this.

BigtimeNBAFan
08-31-2020, 11:58 AM
wade was the best guard help defender of his time racking up clutch steals and blocks

he was faster and even harder to guard 1on1 and harder to guard in transition

otherwise sure
It is hyperbole, but Wade never had a series where he was this good offensively. Nobody is judging their careers and saying Mitchell is better. People must not be watching this series though if they can't comprehend how good Mitchell is playing. He is having one of the best scoring series of all time. 38 ppg on 55% shooting and 55% from 3's is absolutely insane. I'm fine with a little hyperbole to illustrated how good Mitchell is playing right now.

red1
08-31-2020, 12:00 PM
It is hyperbole, but Wade never had a series where he was this good offensively. Nobody is judging their careers and saying Mitchell is better. People must not be watching this series though if they can't comprehend how good Mitchell is playing. He is having one of the best scoring series of all time. 38 ppg on 55% shooting and 55% from 3's is absolutely insane. I'm fine with a little hyperbole to illustrated how good Mitchell is playing right now.

for sure. they're lighting it up. this series is a shooting clinic and mitchell has been hitting clutch shots.

its fun to watch.

imdaman99
08-31-2020, 02:27 PM
I'll wait on my boy Smoke's opinion of this before I listen to multiple sauces chris boosard

Hey Yo
08-31-2020, 02:55 PM
Chris Broussard
@Chris_Broussard
11:34 AM · Aug 31, 2020

I’m not saying Donovan’s better than DWade. DWade is 4th-best SG ever (MJ, Kobe, JWest), tho Harden is chasing. Just saying his game is like DWade’s w/the 3. Just like Mark Jackson wasn’t saying Luka is better than Bird & Magic by calling him a combo of the 2. just a comparison.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/1300457056332324864

tontoz
08-31-2020, 05:14 PM
This thread made me curious so i checked their combine measurements:

Mitchell 6'1.25" w/o shoes, 8'1" standing reach

Wade 6'3.75" w/o shoes, 8'6" standing reach

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/?sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1&SeasonYear=2017-18

HylianNightmare
08-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Better then the 3rd best SG of all time? Nope

paksat
08-31-2020, 06:49 PM
He is stylistically similar to what Wade might be if raised in the extreme 3 point era....but calling him Wade with a jumper says he’s better and....no. Wade was good enough that if you wanted to call him top 12-15 all time you could make your case. And had he not declined with injury you could probably make a top 10 case off just...ability. That said....

If we judge stars like that almost everyone gets shit on. You could argue Ben Gordon busted Wades ass in 07. They went out pretty lame and the bulls were relentless.

ooo remind me what gordon did to wade

kawhileonard2
05-19-2022, 11:33 PM
This is why the bubble was a fraud.

Cold soul
05-19-2022, 11:41 PM
Donovan Mitchell isn't even poor mans Wade come on Broussard this is a joke.

BarberSchool
05-20-2022, 12:17 AM
Donovan Mitchell is a 6’1” Dwyane Wade, with a 3pt shot, but without a 6’11” wingspan, and without any defensive ability whatsoever besides the ability to move quick laterally, when he wants to.