PDA

View Full Version : Switch CP3 to the 80s Lakers & Magic Johnson to '08-'19 Hornets, Clippers, & Rockets

1987_Lakers
09-01-2020, 08:29 PM
How different would their overall all-time rankings be? Would CP3 be considered greater than Magic?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Magic would still be considered much better because he was

Magic wasnt injured in the playoffs every other year

CP wouldve won a ring or 2 but Kareem would get more credit for them overall

3ball
09-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Magic would still be considered much better because he was

Magic wasnt injured in the playoffs every other year

CP wouldve won a ring or 2 but Kareem would get more credit for them overall

Agreed and Magic makes a few Finals in Paul's shoes.. probably titles with the David West/Peja cast.. certainly doesn't blow a 3-2 lead vs Spurs

Magic played inside a lot (big man and PG), so he couldn't be figured out like Paul

tpols
09-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Chris Paul played with all star David West / Tyson Chandler, Blake Griffin / DeAndre Jordan, and a perennial playoff Harden led Rockets.

Magic would've shit on everybody with that type of help.

NBAGOAT
09-01-2020, 09:12 PM
not that much but magic west chandler is no guaranteed ring lol.

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Agreed and Magic makes a few Finals in Paul's shoes.. probably titles with the David West/Peja cast.. certainly doesn't blow a 3-2 lead vs Spurs

Magic played inside a lot (big man and PG), so he couldn't be figured out like Paul

Funny how you are talking about something you know nothing about. You never actually watched those Hornets. Paul completely carried those teams. David West (who Paul made) and a past his prime Peja were nothing special...especially when the rest of the team was garbage. You take Paul off the 08 and 09 Hornets and they wouldn't even win 30 games. You could replace him with Magic and that would change absolutely nothing. Paul completely dominated the playoffs in 2008 leading in per with a ridiculous 30.7. He averaged 24/11 while being a great defensive player.

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Chris Paul played with all star David West / Tyson Chandler, Blake Griffin / DeAndre Jordan, and a perennial playoff Harden led Rockets.

Magic would've shit on everybody with that type of help.

Acting like that is some great help is hilarious. Another person who never actually watched those Hornets. Also, every impact stat there is shows Paul completely carried those Hornet teams. Also amusing going on about Deandre Jordan who couldn't even be allowed to play crunch time because he was so ****ing terrible as a ft shooter. For pretty much every team Paul has been on except the Rockets his teams have completely fallen apart when he's gone off the court.

DMAVS41
09-01-2020, 09:17 PM
The fact that their rankings would be different shows how flawed the way most people rank is.

Magic was easily the better player and his ranking should reflect that. Paul being on better teams and winning doesn't change how good at basketball he was / is...

NBAGOAT
09-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Acting like that is some great help is hilarious. Another person who never actually watched those Hornets. Also, every impact stat there is shows Paul completely carried those Hornet teams. Also amusing going on about Deandre Jordan who couldn't even be allowed to play crunch time because he was so ****ing terrible as a ft shooter. For pretty much every team Paul has been on except the Rockets his teams have completely fallen apart when he's gone off the court.

blake was out almost half the time from 16-17 and wasnt great either because he was a pnpop long 2 guy. 14 and 15 are magic's chances but those are years with the 14 spurs and 15 warriors by no means a guarantee. The clips had joke depth because doc was so bad as gm. rockets admittedly a great chance, likely the best but again the warriors are ofc no slouch

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 09:18 PM
The fact that their rankings would be different shows how flawed the way most people rank is.

Magic was easily the better player and his ranking should reflect that. Paul being on better teams and winning doesn't change how good at basketball he was / is...

lol He's not easily better than anybody. Paul at his peak before he hurt his knee was as good as any PG ever.

DMAVS41
09-01-2020, 09:19 PM
lol He's not easily better than anybody. Paul at his peak before he hurt his knee was as good as any PG ever.

I don't want to hear anyone on this forum ever tell me that Paul is under-rated ever again.

Now we have to debate Magic vs CP3...really?

You guys have lost your ****ing minds.

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 09:21 PM
I don't want to hear anyone on this forum ever tell me that Paul is under-rated ever again.

You are just going on about rangz. Magic was on far better teams. None of that changes the fact that Paul has been as impactful as any star player ever was...which is reflected in all the impact advanced stats.

DMAVS41
09-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Curry is clearly a more valuable basketball player to winning than Chris Paul...and I'd take Magic over Curry. Sorry...you actually have to do historic shit in your career to get compared to the guys you clowns are saying Paul is as good as.

DMAVS41
09-01-2020, 09:23 PM
You are just going on about rangz. Magic was on far better teams. None of that changes the fact that Paul has been as impactful as any star player ever was...which is reflected in all the impact advanced stats.

No, not at all.

I actually think Magic was easily a better basketball player. Just like Steph Curry is better than Paul.

You can hate it all you want...think it is about rings, but it isn't...they are better at basketball...and some of the winning was a product of that...while some of the winning was a product of better teams. Doesn't change reality though...

You goes realize that CP3 is like 6 feet tall...right? You realize that being bigger is an advantage in basketball...right?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-01-2020, 09:26 PM
No, not at all.

I actually think Magic was easily a better basketball player. Just like Steph Curry is better than Paul.

You can hate it all you want...think it is about rings, but it isn't...they are better at basketball...and some of the winning was a product of that...while some of the winning was a product of better teams. Doesn't change reality though...

You goes realize that CP3 is like 6 feet tall...right? You realize that being bigger is an advantage in basketball...right?

Magic is easily the GOAT PG

but lmao @ Steph being better than CP

hes had much better coaching/teammates/situation in his career

Pre Kerr, he was good but nothing special

this doesnt even get into both of their injury issues in the playoffs

the main difference being Stephs teams consistently win in the playoffs when he misses games even pre KD

r0drig0lac
09-01-2020, 09:30 PM
in this scenario, Bird would be together with MJ in the ranking as the greatest in basketball history.

DMAVS41
09-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Magic is easily the GOAT PG

but lmao @ Steph being better than CP

hes had much better coaching/teammates/situation in his career

Pre Kerr, he was good but nothing special

this doesnt even get into both of their injury issues in the playoffs

the main difference being Stephs teams consistently win in the playoffs when he misses games even pre KD

I'm not talking to anyone about Curry if the take on him is "good, but nothing special"

I get why people would think Paul is better, but he wasn't. Curry's impact is better than Paul's...and he doesn't have to dominate the ball as an undersized player even close to as much. Curry is so under-rated here is is comical.

RRR3
09-01-2020, 09:33 PM
I'm not talking to anyone about Curry if the take on him is "good, but nothing special"

I get why people would think Paul is better, but he wasn't. Curry's impact is better than Paul's...and he doesn't have to dominate the ball as an undersized player even close to as much. Curry is so under-rated here is is comical.
He’s a salty Durant fan. Don’t take him seriously on Curry. Or anything really.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-01-2020, 09:34 PM

Stephs impact isnt greater. His teammates' impact have been tho

When theyve matched up in the playoffs CP has outplayed him and is 7-5

LoneyROY7
09-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Magic is a top 5 all-time player and one the best leaders the game ever saw. He would've murdered the league with that Clippers squad, let alone playing with Harden.

Magic would be a multiple-time champion no matter where he went.

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Dmavs is just salty because Paul is much higher than Dirk on the all time list and that other soft euro Doncic will never reach his heights.

Doranku
09-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Dmavs is just salty because Paul is much higher than Dirk on the all time list and that other soft euro Doncic will never reach his heights.

No he isn't. :oldlol:

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 10:05 PM
No he isn't. :oldlol:

Or is he? :eek:

tpols
09-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Smoke you need to down another fireball shooter if you think Chris Paul would win anything with jason terry as his best mate.

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Smoke you need to down another fireball shooter if you think Chris Paul would win anything with jason terry as his best mate.

Jason Kidd was the 2nd best player on that team by far. Easily more impactful than Jason Terry.

tpols
09-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Jason Kidd was the 2nd best player on that team by far. Easily more impactful than Jason Terry.

You know damn well he wasn't winning a chip with that team.

There is zero chance.

DMAVS41
09-01-2020, 10:37 PM

I'm salty because we shouldn't have to debate Magic vs Paul on a basketball forum. It should be better than that. Has nothing to do with Dirk...he also deserves to be thought of as better than Paul.

But if you want to go there...Dirk did real things. He beat the Spurs in a game 7 in 06 and led his team to the finals...the only team to beat the Spurs during that 3 year span. Putting up a 37/15/3 game with the game saving and 1 late. He led the Mavs to like 11 straight 50 win seasons...won a title.

Paul was great, but when he could of done special things and made deep playoff runs...he and his teams melted or he didn't play. He was playing while his team got outscored 40-15 in a closeout playoff game against scrubs and then went on to lose the series. He was melting down about as bad as anyone ever in game 5 against the Thunder when he tried to flop instead of just playing basketball in the crucial game 5.

I think guys in the Dirk range were just better players than Paul, but we are all biased. That is why what a player produces in their circumstances matter...maybe Paul got unlucky...maybe he deserved to produce more...I'm open to it, but end of the day...he didn't do enough in his career to put him next to Magic Johnson.

Go carry a team to the finals. Go win a title...go do something like Duncan in 03, Hakeem in 94, and Dirk in 11 did...why on earth would I give Paul the benefit of the doubt when he can't even get by Josh Smith in the 4th qtr of a closeout playoff game with a huge lead.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-01-2020, 11:32 PM
CP would've gotten a few rings. With maybe the 82 and 89 teams. If you're replacing an injured Magic with peak Paul, LA's chances are obviously good.

Overall though what made Magic's playmaking great was his height, and being able to see over defenders. CP can't replicate that. You can bring up his defense, and while he's got Magic beat there, he doesn't have enough impact on that end to sway much of the argument.

Magic probably wins 1-2 in place of Paul. 2018 for sure.