PDA

View Full Version : Curry is the GOAT shooter and 3ball can’t handle this

Vino24
09-01-2020, 09:01 PM
His main argument to curry not being the goat shooter is he doesn’t dunk enough. Wtf :lol

warriorfan
09-01-2020, 09:07 PM
Jeff do 3ball a favor and change his thread title for him. Ty.

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 09:11 PM
His main argument to curry not being the goat shooter is he doesn’t dunk enough. Wtf :lol

Yeah he is but you have to take that title with a grain of salt. Theres probably more than 20 guys id take to shoot the ball in the clutch in a finals game.

AlternativeAcc.
09-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Yeah he is but you have to take that title with a grain of salt. Theres probably more than 20 guys id take to shoot the ball in the clutch in a finals game.

20?

There's thousands. Curry is one of the least clutch players in history

I'd take a JV high schooler over curry in the clutch

Axe
09-01-2020, 09:19 PM
I know I've mentioned this already before several times but curry is 0/8 in go-ahead shots during the closing seconds of crucial playoff games

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 09:23 PM
20?

There's thousands. Curry is one of the least clutch players in history

I'd take a JV high schooler over curry in the clutch

Well i said more not sure about thousands though lol

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 09:24 PM
I know I've mentioned this already before several times but curry is 0/8 in go-ahead shots during the closing seconds of crucial playoff games

damn. Didn't know it was that bad. Maybe it is thousands

Vino24
09-01-2020, 09:26 PM
This thread is about who the best shooter is. You narrowed it down to just playoffs. Curry took more 3’s in a season than MJ took in his entire career

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 09:46 PM
This thread is about who the best shooter is. You narrowed it down to just playoffs. Curry took more 3’s in a season than MJ took in his entire career

yeah but threes are only one part of shooting. Theres also shooting from mid and the block which mj is better at.

TheCorporation
09-01-2020, 09:58 PM

:lebronamazed:

Axe
09-01-2020, 10:05 PM
damn. Didn't know it was that bad. Maybe it is thousands
Now you know why he's far from exceptional buddy. He's great in the rs tho.

3ball
09-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Curry isn't a good shooter compared to MJ or Kobe because:

1) curry isn't good at 2-point jumpshots - his mid-range efficiency and volume is nothing

2) curry isn't good at CONTESTED jumpers.. 80% of his threes are open according to NBA.com, and his efficiency on the remaining 20% of contested shots was poor

So the only jumpers that Curry is good at is open threes... aka hardly the goat jumpshooter

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 10:17 PM

1) curry isn't good at 2-point jumpshots - his mid-range efficiency and volume is nothing

2) curry isn't good at CONTESTED jumpers.. 80% of his threes are open according to NBA.com, and his efficiency on the remaining 20% of contested shots was poor

So the only jumpers that Curry is good at is open threes... aka hardly the goat jumpshooter

lol Crazy how much cringe you get as time goes by. Curry is a 46% shooter for his career 10 to 3pt line. That's great efficiency in that range. Couple that with his all time great 3pt shooting and he's easily a better shooter than your boyfriend.

3ball
09-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Types of jumpers

Turnaround... MJ/Kobe yes.... Curry no

Windshield Wiper.... MJ/Kobe yes.... Curry no

Up-and-under... MJ/Kobe yes.... Curry no

Hangtime/contested... MJ/Kobe yes.... Curry no

Open threes... Curry yes.... MJ/Kobe less volume

^^^ so Kobe/MJ are better at more kinds of jumpers than Curry

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 10:37 PM
lol Crazy how much cringe you get as time goes by. Curry is a 46% shooter for his career 10 to 3pt line. That's great efficiency in that range. Couple that with his all time great 3pt shooting and he's easily a better shooter than your boyfriend.

Id like to know what he is from that range in the playoffs because he only has one playoffs of fg percentage over 46 and most of his finals hes right around 40% and thats total fg% so his 10-3pt line must be much worse because he he's pretty efficient finishing at the rim.

Just shows how much worse curry gets with real defense and not the garbage defense we see in the regular season. And it just shows how much harder it is for him to get good looks on his shots. Its why the warriors would go to kd down the stretch in tough playoff games. Like mj kd can get a good look against tough defenses much better than curry can.

3ball
09-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Volume matters, and curry has zero volume from mid-range (barely 1 attempt per game) - this disqualifies him from being the goat shooter.. he"s only good at open threes - that doesn't compare to the infinite jumpshooting repertoire, variety of jumpers, and contested jumpers that MJ/Kobe mastered

Vino24
09-01-2020, 10:53 PM
Volume matters, and curry has zero volume from mid-range (barely 1 attempt per game) - this disqualifies him from being the goat shooter.. he"s only good at open threes - that doesn't compare to the infinite jumpshooting repertoire, variety of jumpers, and contested jumpers that MJ/Kobe mastered

MJ has even less volume from 3. MJ was a bad 3pt shooter

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 11:03 PM
MJ has even less volume from 3. MJ was a bad 3pt shooter

But lebron has the same shooting percentage in the playoffs as mj so lebron is bad too?

Vino24
09-01-2020, 11:05 PM
But lebron has the same shooting percentage in the playoffs as mj so lebron is bad too?

No LeBron had higher volume. Le Bron matched MJ’s percentage while shooting higher volume

Whoah10115
09-01-2020, 11:15 PM
I don't know if anyone can take seriously that Curry only hits open 3 point shots.

Have you never seen him play? He takes stupid shots. Because he is, by far, the best shooter ever.

Bronbron23
09-01-2020, 11:15 PM
No LeBron had higher volume. Le Bron matched MJ’s percentage while shooting higher volume

Dude its mj. Hes the goat volume shooter. His shooting percentage dosnt change no matter how many shots he takes.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-01-2020, 11:22 PM
Curry definitely isn't the greatest jumpshooter.

An open shot? Or just threes? Yeah its probably Curry.

His percentages speak for themself, but those numbers would also dip in a more physical era.

NBAGOAT
09-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Curry definitely isn't the greatest jumpshooter.

An open shot? Or just threes? Yeah its probably Curry.

His percentages speak for themself, but those numbers would also dip in a more physical era.

who are your main guys besides mj?

Gohan
09-01-2020, 11:39 PM
Say what you want 3 ball but atleazt curry is not scared to take midrange jumpers like some other players in the league

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-01-2020, 11:41 PM
who are your main guys besides mj?

Pure jumpshooting and accounting for defense, I would take MJ/BK/Dirk/Durant

Kobe and Klay were/are fantastic jump shooters too. Don't have the numbers but under defensive duress, I would take them over Curry.

Smoke117
09-01-2020, 11:42 PM

Kobe and Klay were/are fantastic jump shooters too. Don't have the numbers but under defensive duress, I would take them over Curry.

Meltdown.

NBAGOAT
09-01-2020, 11:46 PM

ooh like the bernard mention. for kobe from the backpicks article on him "I sampled over 1,100 Kobe possessions for this series (from 1999-2009), studying his passing, shooting and defensive tendencies.5 In that sample, he took 129 covered shots from outside 15 feet and converted them at a stellar 44 percent clip". That's really damn good but not sure if it's goat lvl

Lion's pride
09-02-2020, 01:45 AM
Is this really a thread about best shooter and know one mentions Bird..?? starting to lose faith on here.. meanwhile Curry is the MOST SKILLED shooter ever. But that doesn't make him the best.. You have to be clutch as well.. No so good for Curry then..

Lion's pride
09-02-2020, 01:46 AM

is this accurate?? wow if true..

!@#$%Vectors!@#
09-02-2020, 02:18 AM
I'm back like 3 years later and 3ball is still senile. You hate to see it :(

FromDowntown
09-02-2020, 02:20 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Richesly
09-02-2020, 05:15 AM
Curry is okay.

Vino24
09-02-2020, 12:21 PM
:roll::roll::roll:

Bronbron23
09-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Is this really a thread about best shooter and know one mentions Bird..?? starting to lose faith on here.. meanwhile Curry is the MOST SKILLED shooter ever. But that doesn't make him the best.. You have to be clutch as well.. No so good for Curry then..

Well we already acknowledged theres tons of guys ahead of curry. Bird would obviously be one of those and easily has an argument for best ever

Axe
09-02-2020, 08:01 PM
is this accurate?? wow if true..
Yes, brotha. A lot of article from the past has talked about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1456751001

And even this one from reddit: https://amp.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/c0fgpk/steph_curry_is_08_on_goahead_shots_in_last_20/

GrayGoat
09-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Can’t argue with that

3ball
04-20-2021, 12:17 PM
Curry has nice step-backs and other stationary dribble moves, but he isn't the goat jumpshooter because he lacks great ability to pull-up off a hard dribble (shown here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzbrBUFB4Y&t=10m26s) and here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzbrBUFB4Y&t=11m00s)), which overcomes greater contests and requires elevating/shooting in a way that Curry and all of today's 3-point shooters lack great ability to do.

This is why Michael Jordan, the goat jumpshooter off a hard dribble of all-time (goat elevation, square-up and form), would be the goat 3-point shooter in today's game - he would be shooting contested pull-up threes off a hard dribble as a standard, just like he did 2-pointers, which would make him the standard of 3-point shooting - his "fadeaway" is already the standard of jumpshooting skill and he would do this from 3-point range in today's era

2much_knowledge
04-20-2021, 12:31 PM

Can't agree here. Steph is to shooting what Vince is to dunking. Nothing less

Ainosterhaspie
04-20-2021, 12:32 PM
Curry is a better, probably even a much better, shooter than MJ. MJ is much better at getting a good shot off even when tightly covered. Accuracy and ability to get a good look are both necessary to be an effective shooter especially in the playoffs. Even though Curry is a better shooter, he's not as effective a shooter as MJ against the best defense.

8Ball
04-20-2021, 12:33 PM
Curry is a better, probably even a much better, shooter than MJ. MJ is much better at getting a good shot off even when tightly covered. Accuracy and ability to get a good look are both necessary to be an effective shooter especially in the playoffs. Even though Curry is a better shooter, he's not as effective a shooter as MJ against the best defense.

Water is wet.

ShawkFactory
04-20-2021, 12:39 PM
You can tell player's true accuracy as shooter by FT%. Is is the cleanest and purest form of shooting that exists.

I know it's a small sample, but Steph didn't miss a FT last year :lol

91% for his career. Crazy stuff.

3ball
04-20-2021, 12:42 PM
Can't agree here. Steph is to shooting what Vince is to dunking. Nothing less

Curry isn't elite at the most basic jumpshooting skills - pulling up off a hard dribble and converting contested jumpers - so he's an inferior jumpshooter to Jordan

tpols
04-20-2021, 12:42 PM
You can tell player's true accuracy as shooter by FT%. Is is the cleanest and purest form of shooting that exists.

I know it's a small sample, but Steph didn't miss a FT last year :lol

91% for his career. Crazy stuff.

He's the all time leading FT% shooter in NBA history. Number 1.

3ball
04-20-2021, 12:46 PM

Curry can't pull-up off a hard dribble (which prevents him from hitting those contested, clutch shots in the Finals)

so he isn't the goat jumpshooter and is overrated

He wouldn't be a 20 point scorer in a congested game without the 3-point line (70's), so he isn't a great player to me, or even good tbh

ShawkFactory
04-20-2021, 12:50 PM

Looking at all of the other respected jumpshooters in history (Ray Allen, Miller, Bird, Dirk, Nash, etc), all have career FT%s above the 89 or so mark.

Klay is the only exception really. Odd that his FT% hovers closer to 85.

3ball
04-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Looking at all of the other respected jumpshooters in history (Ray Allen, Miller, Bird, Dirk, Nash, etc), all have career FT%s above the 89 or so mark.

Klay is the only exception really. Odd that his FT% hovers closer to 85.

Curry is nowhere near the goat jumpshooter because the goat jumpshooter can control games and score whenever they want because they can hit contested jumpers better than anyone

Unfortunately, Curry's pull-up jumper off a hard dribble is weak - all his moves are ballerina step-backs and he's poor at contested jumpers

ShawkFactory
04-20-2021, 01:05 PM
Curry is nowhere near the goat jumpshooter because the goat jumpshooter can control games and score whenever they want because they can hit contested jumpers better than anyone

Unfortunately, Curry's pull-up jumper off a hard dribble is weak - all his moves are ballerina step-backs and he's poor at contested jumpers
No, he just lacks the size and athleticism required to get those shots off consistently.

Tracy McGrady could get off and make contested jumpers more easily than Curry. Ditto Demar Derozan and Rudy Gay.

Does that make them better shooters? Or does it just make them taller and more athletic..

I won't even mention that the argument is that Curry is the greatest shooter ever...not the greatest jumpshooter. Those aren't the same thing.

A real testament to a shooters skill and accuracy is FT%. It is the cleanest and purest form of shooting.

3ball
04-20-2021, 01:09 PM
No, he just lacks the size and athleticism required to get those shots off consistently.

Tracy McGrady could get off and make contested jumpers more easily than Curry. Ditto Demar Derozan and Rudy Gay.

Does that make them better shooters? Or does it just make them taller and more athletic..

I won't even mention that the argument is that Curry is the greatest shooter ever...not the greatest jumpshooter. Those aren't the same thing.

A real testament to a shooters skill and accuracy is FT%. It is the cleanest and purest form of shooting.

In Curry's highest volume season, he made 300 less jumpers than Jordan or Kobe's high because Curry needs to be open and he can't shoot real jumpshots where you jump and elevate

So if we're just talking a shooting contest, then Curry wins - but if we're talking actual jumpshooting, there's a lot that Curry can't do and the title of goat jumpshooter becomes a lot more complicated

8Ball
04-20-2021, 01:11 PM

Curry is the GOAT shooter (better than Jordan by a mile) and 3ball can’t handle this.

Manny98
04-20-2021, 01:12 PM
In Curry's highest volume season, he made 300 less jumpers than Jordan or Kobe's high because Curry needs to be open and he can't shoot real jumpshots where you jump and elevate

So if we're just talking a shooting contest, then Curry wins - but if we're talking actual jumpshooting, there's a lot that Curry can't do and the title of goat jumpshooter becomes a lot more complicated
Why couldnt MJ hit 90% from the free throw line? (minimum standard for elite shooters)

3ball
04-20-2021, 01:13 PM
Why couldnt MJ hit 90% from the free throw line? (minimum standard for elite shooters)

Because that isn't jumpshooting

Ainosterhaspie
04-20-2021, 01:16 PM

Nah, that data doesn't mean what you think it does. He didn't even play many fourth quarters because he destroyed teams so badly in three, the game was already over. That drove down his raw totals. He also only needed 2/3 as many shots tibget the same number of points because he was really goodnat making the higher value shot. Those two details combined make the number of shots he took compared to Jordan/Kobe completely meaningless.

Of course since you are someone who knows nothing about the game but the stat sheet, and since you are someone who doesn't ever watch the games, I'm not surprised to miss the bigger picture.

ShawkFactory
04-20-2021, 01:17 PM

I guess I'll just repeat myself:

The argument is that Curry is the greatest shooter ever...not the greatest jumpshooter. Those aren't the same thing.

Jordan would never be able to make the amount Curry does from 3 on that volume because that requires superior shooting accuracy.

If we're just talking contested jump shooting then McGrady, Derozan, and Gay are superior too.

8Ball
04-20-2021, 01:22 PM
Curry better free throw shooter.
Better 3 point shooter.
Better shooter.

Meanwhile LeBron:

https://wp.usatodaysports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2013/06/lebron31.gif

Manny98
04-20-2021, 01:48 PM
So he's not GOAT at neither 3 point or free throw shooting

All he has is mid range and contested shots and KD,Dirk and Kobe all have strong arguments in that department

3ball
04-20-2021, 01:56 PM
I guess I'll just repeat myself:

The argument is that Curry is the greatest shooter ever...not the greatest jumpshooter.

Those aren't the same thing.

Curry has nice step-backs and other stationary dribble moves, but he isn't the goat jumpshooter because he lacks great ability to pull-up off a hard dribble (shown here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzbrBUFB4Y&t=10m26s) and here (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzbrBUFB4Y&t=11m00s)), which overcomes greater contests and requires elevating/shooting in a way that Curry and all of today's 3-point shooters lack great ability to do.

This is why Michael Jordan, the goat jumpshooter off a hard dribble of all-time (goat elevation, square-up and form), would be the goat 3-point shooter in today's game - he would be shooting contested pull-up threes off a hard dribble as a standard, just like he did 2-pointers, which would make him the standard of 3-point shooting - his "fadeaway" is already the standard of jumpshooting skill and he would do this from 3-point range in today's era[/QUOTE]

ShawkFactory
04-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Nonsense

Jordan would expand his hard-dribble-pull-up and fadeaway game to the 3-point line - he'd be the only guy consistently making contested fadeaway threes, just like he was the only guy consistently making contested fadeaway 2's

That's not how 3 pointers work guy. By your own admission, 3 pointers are inherently (and statistically) less contested because they are farther away, which means they are inherently (and statistically) more difficult to make at a high percentage.

This was particularly true in the 90s, where defenders saw 3s as a low percentage shot and were less likely to contest, unless the guy was a particularly great accuracy shooter like a Reggie Miller.

Thus, only the elite accuracy shooters would be able to make 3s at 45% or so while taking 10+ a game.

If Jordan was making 45% of his contested midrange jump shots, and averages making around 36% of his OPEN 3s...why would anyone believe he'd be making 45% of contested 3s (or just 3s in general). Especially when the guy who's doing that now makes 91% of his FTs for his career, thus proving that he is indeed a far more accurate shooter.

Ainosterhaspie
04-20-2021, 02:25 PM

This is why Michael Jordan, the goat jumpshooter off a hard dribble of all-time (goat elevation, square-up and form), would be the goat 3-point shooter in today's game - he would be shooting contested pull-up threes off a hard dribble as a standard, just like he did 2-pointers, which would make him the standard of 3-point shooting - his "fadeaway" is already the standard of jumpshooting skill and he would do this from 3-point range in today's era

Things like this crack me up because it immediately brings to mind Jordan's most legendary 3 point barrage against the Blazers in '92. The shrug game. There was Jordan draining 6 threes in one half against storied 90s defense. Guys of today couldn't handle the handchecking and physicality that would suffocate them on the perimeter, or so we're told by people who's minds have steadily adding greater and greater exaggerations about that time period.

The truth. Jordan, the best player in the league, a feared shooter, was draining three after three while Portland defenders didn't even bother to half heartedly contest. He was on fire and the most they could be bothered to muster was playing several feet off him and taking a step his direction once he'd already bombed in four on them. It's only the finals. You're facing an all time great. Want to guard him out past the three point line? Nah.

But I'm supposed to assume that Jordan would not only do as well as he did then, but even better against teams that now actually care about defending the three point line? Sorry, not buying that conjecture.