PDA

View Full Version : The NBA went too far with the rule changes, now there is no going back

AngelEyes
09-02-2020, 10:19 PM
The NBA implemented rules over the past several years which favor offense in a big way, not only that but the game is now officiated in a way which heavily favors offense. It's gotten so bad recently that it's now bordering on gimmicky, the product is now beginning to noticeably suffer. They've gone so far in this direction I am not sure they can reverse course.

NBAGOAT
09-02-2020, 10:23 PM
even with rule changes heavily reversed teams are going play closer to this way than the style from any other era. the kickout to a guy for a 18-20 footer is just not going happen more than a couple times a game

Bronbron23
09-03-2020, 08:20 AM
even with rule changes heavily reversed teams are going play closer to this way than the style from any other era. the kickout to a guy for a 18-20 footer is just not going happen more than a couple times a game

It would be something in between. The drives and dish for spot up 2's wouldn't come back but other stuff would. You can see in the few games where the refs do allow physical play. Most of the guys now who are used to running around screens shooting threes or getting to the hole untouched are struggling to get a shot up. Its the rules that allow them to play the way they play. Bring back the rules and there would be way more post play and drive and pull ups from the mid.

E_Stamkos
09-03-2020, 08:26 AM
People to need recognize and reconcile with the fact that the NBA is less concerned about the opinions of the traditional/purist basketball fan as they are about the casual. That's the demo they are catering to and will continue to do so.

Offense and massive scoring outputs is what draws attention (in spite of wavering ratings).

I love me a hard nosed 89-90 game where defense and post play is emphasized. But that shit doesn't appeal to the common fan as it does us.

r0drig0lac
09-03-2020, 09:41 AM
It would be something in between. The drives and dish for spot up 2's wouldn't come back but other stuff would. You can see in the few games where the refs do allow physical play. Most of the guys now who are used to running around screens shooting threes or getting to the hole untouched are struggling to get a shot up. Its the rules that allow them to play the way they play. Bring back the rules and there would be way more post play and drive and pull ups from the mid.

this

SouBeachTalents
09-03-2020, 10:07 AM
People to need recognize and reconcile with the fact that the NBA is less concerned about the opinions of the traditional/purist basketball fan as they are about the casual. That's the demo they are catering to and will continue to do so.

Offense and massive scoring outputs is what draws attention (in spite of wavering ratings).

I love me a hard nosed 89-90 game where defense and post play is emphasized. But that shit doesn't appeal to the common fan as it does us.
Yep, same shit happened with football when they completely neutered defenses

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Reggie Miller would think this era was made for him.

They've allowed a bit more physicality in these playoffs, but you're not wrong. The NBA will never revert back.

Gohan
09-03-2020, 10:30 AM
You still can’t get within 5 feet of a jump shooter or they will call a foul. Shit is hard to watch. I thought the playoffs was supposed to be an upgrade from the regulars season. It’s just as sad

ZenMaster
09-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Agreed, the dynamics of the game has become weird.

It's like you have one set of rules for the regular season(except for the best players, who can get away with more things). The rules sees that it's quite hard to prevent people from scoring.

Then you have some other rules for the playoffs, before changing completely towards the last 2 minutes or so of playoff games, where all of the sudden the game is almost flipped upside down in regards to what you can do without a foul being called, especially on the defensive end because players "need to play through it". At this point of the games, it's up to the players to determine how hard they push their rule breaking depending on what they feel they can get away with.

Also, there are almost at least 1-2 uncalled travelling violations per offensive possession. It has become part of player development on how to make moves while travelling, without being called for it.