PDA

View Full Version : Philly's salary moving forward (Elton Brand has royally ****ed them)

Shogon
09-09-2020, 10:07 AM
This team had such an incredible amount of promise and now it's basically just gone... they traded almost all of their young and exciting role players for a bunch of trash.

I mean, maybe... just maybe he will be able to move the contracts of Harris and or Horford, but for what?

Holy shit their salary is so ****ed going forward. And for what? Mediocrity? Tobias Harris sucks dick when you consider what he's getting paid. I could have told anyone in that front office he wasn't worth nearly that kind of money. What the **** were they thinking? They panicked and now they're ****ed because of it.

They're going to be paying $150 million for that team next year and that's not even counting the luxury tax...

:roll::roll:

RIP The Process. R.I.P. You left us too soon. Sam Hinkie will forever live on in my heart even after I stop watching the NBA.

https://i.ibb.co/mTXRQNT/salaries.png

DoctorP
09-09-2020, 10:12 AM
https://cf-images.us-east-1.prod.boltdns.net/v1/static/5618154292001/8299ecfa-c2d2-4e7e-a7e9-63f28cdc2097/995883d4-bdce-4296-8eae-6c7d2159c31a/1280x720/match/image.jpg

Shogon
09-09-2020, 10:15 AM
^ :roll:

To be fair, I think part of the reason that he did it was because they weren't getting under the cap anyways based off of Simmons' and Embiid's deals, which is definitely somewhat understandable, but damn man, they have just have absolutely no flexibility going forward.

Better hope a new coach changes it all.

warriorfan
09-09-2020, 10:18 AM
They had pretty much accumulated the most assets in the league at one point and pissed it all away. What’s crazy is when you think of how long it took to build all of that. Many, many long and miserable seasons for the fans, players, the whole organization. The process ended up proving it could work, but the process was not easy by any means. I would be absolutely crushed if I was a 76ers fan right now. All that waiting, all that build up....to end up like this? What a tragedy.

Shogon
09-09-2020, 10:20 AM
They had pretty much accumulated the most assets in the league at one point and pissed it all away. What’s crazy is when you think of how long it took to build all of that. Many, many long and miserable seasons for the fans, players, the whole organization. The process ended up proving it could work, but the process was not easy by any means. I would be absolutely crushed if I was a 76ers fan right now. All that waiting, all that build up....to end up like this? What a tragedy.

Basically this.

Real Men Wear Green
09-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Good.

Understand that there was and still is a lot of love between Al Horford and the city of Boston. The locals still follow his sister's twitter and she remains a fan of the Celtics. So to take him away they had to not only present an offer that the Celtics wouldn't match but they also had to make it so that the home team discount got annihilated. They wanted to make sure that the Celtics took a hit and improve their own frontcourt.

Well done.

Mask the Embiid
09-09-2020, 10:47 AM
traded away all of our exciting players? and who is that dario saric and jeremy grant?

Robert Covington cant even beat a closeout off the dribble
JJ redick is an undersized unathletic fossil who has never won shit.

Who else did we trade am i missing something.MCW?Nerlins Noel :oldlol:

am i missing any other "great" player we traded?

We have all the players worth keeping.Ben and Big Wiggle #30&12

Real Men Wear Green
09-09-2020, 10:52 AM
traded away all of our exciting players? and who is that dario saric and jeremy grant?

am i missing some great player we traded?

I don't feel like looking up all the bad moves but no question the pivotal moment was Jimmy Butler leaving, which was not a trade. There are rumors ot there that Butler would have stayed if he was maxed but they couldn't do that while handing a hundred million to a roleplayer (Harris) and funding Horford's retirement.

Turbo Slayer
09-09-2020, 10:54 AM
No team wants Horford and that dead weight. Sixers are pretty much screwed unless a miracle happens.

CelticBaller
09-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Good

Real Men Wear Green
09-09-2020, 11:05 AM
No team wants Horford and that dead weight. Sixers are pretty much screwed unless a miracle happens.
I would love to have Horford on the celtics and he's still a quality player. He just isn't worth a hundred-expletive-million. When he first signed thr deal I was a little down about it but now I'm just laughing even though I do still want him back with the celtics. .

I recently half-read an article about the NBA maybe putting in am amnesty clause to help teams cope with financial losses due to covid. If they do I would love to see Celtics get to sign Horford for the vet minimum. That would be the ultimate.

Shogon
09-09-2020, 11:07 AM
I would love to have Horford on the celtics and he's still a quality player. He just isn't worth a hundred-expletive-million. When he first signed thr deal I was a little down about it but now I'm just laughing even though I do still want him back with the celtics. .

I recently half-read an article about the NBA maybe putting in am amnesty clause to help teams cope with financial losses due to covid. If they do I would love to see Celtics get to sign Horford for the vet minimum. That would be the ultimate.

They're both putrid contracts but wouldn't you amnesty Harris first? I mean the ****ing guy is still getting 40 million in 2024. :roll:

Horford is "only" at 26.5 and he ends a year earlier.

For ****'s sake that Harris contract is one of the worst I can ever remember in NBA history. It's not the worst, but it's damn near the top.

Real Men Wear Green
09-09-2020, 11:29 AM
They're both putrid contracts but wouldn't you amnesty Harris first? I mean the ****ing guy is still getting 40 million in 2024. :roll:

Horford is "only" at 26.5 and he ends a year earlier.

For ****'s sake that Harris contract is one of the worst I can ever remember in NBA history. It's not the worst, but it's damn near the top.

Harris is the better player and more likely to provide value. This could just be on the ex-coach but Philly decided that Horford can't play with Embiid. If Horford can't play with the franchise player then there's just no hope. Harris did nothing in the playoffs but he was at least contributing in the regular season.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Yeah he has been terrible over the last two years.

Honestly I wish we got to see Hinkie be there a while longer to see how things played out.

STATUTORY
09-09-2020, 11:56 AM
:roll: imagine getting rid of sam hinkie for this bum

RealSkipBayless
09-09-2020, 12:12 PM
They really just need to blow it up and recoup what they can.

Have Horford be your tank commander and gather what young talent and assets you can in exchange for your core. Are they really going to hold onto Embiid and waste 3 years of his time so they can try to reconstruct the roster after the bad contracts are gone..? Who knows if Embiid would get some massive injury and never been the same in that span. Then they would really be ****ed. Just do what is best for both parties and trade him to Miami

1987_Lakers
09-09-2020, 12:45 PM

am i missing any other "great" player we traded?

We have all the players worth keeping.Ben and Big Wiggle #30&12

Denial much?

hateraid
09-09-2020, 12:50 PM
The only one I'm really not in Iove with is the Tobias signing. I would have rather had Butler. Never really like Tobias. I like Josh Richardson but to many shots. Should have kept Shamet. Trade Shake. If Simmons wasn't injured this series would look a whole lot different.

Kblaze8855
09-09-2020, 12:50 PM
We are about to see either the Heat, Celtics, or Raptors make the finals. The 76ers while healthy could play with any of those teams. We are probably making their situation out to be more dire than it is.

Shogon
09-09-2020, 12:56 PM
We are about to see either the Heat, Celtics, or Raptors make the finals. The 76ers while healthy could play with any of those teams. We are probably making their situation out to be more dire than it is.

Honestly they should just trade Embiid and build around Simmons and try to unload Harris.

That might sound crazy, but it's not a big man's league and no coach is willing to play a talented offensive post big like a talented offensive post big, so... move his ass. Stock up on shooters and defenders.

Embiid is obviously their best overall player and he's great on both sides of the ball, but can teams really build around a center that's busy camped behind the 3 point line for half the game?

KennyPowers
09-09-2020, 01:01 PM
At least they hired a former black player instead of some white guy that actually knows what he is doing, that's all that matters. Losing games and money isn't relevant.

DoctorP
09-09-2020, 01:37 PM
Meh, the situation in Philly is not that dire. They have plenty of movable assets and talented players. The roster construction is too old school and they had injuries to their main engine. A retool would likely be doable with ease.

The Horford signing was pretty bogus though. That will be a tough one to move but hes a good player still.

CelticBaller
09-09-2020, 02:51 PM
The 76ers while healthy could play with any of those teams.

We would've beaten them regardless of Ben Simmons. You overrate those bums

fourkicks44
09-09-2020, 06:36 PM
It is still possible to salvage something of a functional team. It will be tough and obviously the front office that is in place now is too incompetent to do this.

As long as they still have Simmons and Embiid they are still in a situation for success as they are All-Stars and still young enough verging on their prime.

Those Horford and Harris contracts are ridiculous tho. Especially now that salarys will go down and owners will tighten their wallets because of the declining revenue due to covid.

It's a rough spot, possible to somewhat salvage but it is gonna be hard and the organization just isn't in the state to get it done right now.

https://www.rightstorickysanchez.com/if-not-will-convey-as-two-second-rounders/2020/8/31/the-top-50-moments-when-it-all-went-wrong-an-rtrs-staff-list

This article gives the best overall summary at how the Sixers have gone wrong since Hinkie left, broken down into individual instances.

FireDavidKahn
09-09-2020, 07:59 PM
Elton was a career loser. Seems like it transferred to his GM abilities seamlessly

FireDavidKahn
09-09-2020, 08:02 PM
Good.

Understand that there was and still is a lot of love between Al Horford and the city of Boston. The locals still follow his sister's twitter and she remains a fan of the Celtics. So to take him away they had to not only present an offer that the Celtics wouldn't match but they also had to make it so that the home team discount got annihilated. They wanted to make sure that the Celtics took a hit and improve their own frontcourt.

Well done.

Ya, Horford backfired on them so hard. They signed him so Embiid wouldn't have to face him and look at it now:lol

guy
09-09-2020, 08:09 PM
A Horford + Mike Scott for CP3 trade works. Horford does have an extra year, but over the life of the deal, its the same $. If Philly throws in some picks, which won't matter much to them if they are contending, I'm sure OKC would strongly consider it.

Jailblazers7
09-09-2020, 09:14 PM
They were also a Kawhi bounce away from a potential championship run. But then they ****ed up with their offseason moves. This team was totally hijacked by the NBA & the Colangelo's and their bullshit front office has pissed it all away.

It's crazy how the Sixers front office became myopically focused on the short-term and traded away so many assets. The only good trade was for Jimmy and then they let him walk. This team could easily have a championship caliber roster right now with a competent front office.

E_Stamkos
09-09-2020, 10:05 PM
Tobi and Al's contracts are brutal.

Losing Butler certainly hurts as well.

Bottom line though... This team needs more from their big 2.

E_Stamkos
09-09-2020, 10:09 PM
They were also a Kawhi bounce away from a potential championship run. But then they ****ed up with their offseason moves. This team was totally hijacked by the NBA & the Colangelo's and their bullshit front office has pissed it all away.

It's crazy how the Sixers front office became myopically focused on the short-term and traded away so many assets. The only good trade was for Jimmy and then they let him walk. This team could easily have a championship caliber roster right now with a competent front office.

They didn't let Jimmy walk... He chose to

They sorely mismanaged his time there. He wasn't happy for a number of reasons.

It's a lost franchise without a direction right now.

Jailblazers7
09-09-2020, 10:12 PM

True, Jimmy walked because the organization was such a hot mess. Wasn't fair of me to say they "let him walk" when in fact it was far worse than that. They ran such an awful organization that they didn't even have the option to re-sign him.

E_Stamkos
09-09-2020, 10:19 PM
True, Jimmy walked because the organization was such a hot mess. Wasn't fair of me to say they "let him walk" when in fact it was far worse than that. They ran such an awful organization that they didn't even have the option to re-sign him.

Pretty much nailed it here.

At least that's what Jimmy led everyone to believe when he guested on Reddicks podcast.

Jailblazers7
09-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Pretty much nailed it here.

At least that's what Jimmy led everyone to believe when he guested on Reddicks podcast.

I don't see any reason to not believe him. In fact, JJ seemed to be agreeing with a lot of what he was saying. I think JJ just had a better relationship with Brett so he was willing to be more diplomatic.

I honestly feel the worst for Brett. He was the PR front that had to take endless shit during the process and then got thrust into the weird as management committee front office set-up after Bryan Colangelo torpedoed his career and they had to cover up for him. He wasn't the best coach but he had his moments and I honestly wish he had the opportunity to just be the head coach of a good team without all the other bullshit floating around the organization.

highwhey
09-09-2020, 10:52 PM

can you please elaborate further?

brooks_thompson
09-10-2020, 01:13 PM
I don't even feel like Colangelo could've ruined the process he had such a big bumper. His big mistake, the Fultz trade, was no one's fault, an unlucky fluke. Elton Brand, on the other hand, said 'hold my beer' and destroyed the team and its flexibility in just one calendar year. You have to have some guards on your team.

I do have sympathy for the Philly fans who were willing to put up with The Process only to see it get tanked right as they should start truly contending. In addition to Brand, though, Simmons and Embiid deserve a lot of blame for not improving any since their first run 2 years ago.

brooks_thompson
09-10-2020, 01:15 PM
Also want to add that things aren't quite as awful as they look. I think a coach like Ty Lue (yes, Lue) can get them to fall in line a little more. If they go with Billups as I just read is rumored, they're probably ****ed though.

DoctorP
09-10-2020, 01:21 PM

They should hire me, I will get that franchise cleaned up quickly. Definitely wouldn't be hiring Ty Lue :lol

brooks_thompson
09-10-2020, 01:23 PM
They should hire me, I will get that franchise cleaned up quickly. Definitely wouldn't be hiring Ty Lue :lol

Who you gonna hire as coach though? Pretty uninspiring market out there

DoctorP
09-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Who you gonna hire as coach though? Pretty uninspiring market out there

I agree. Id look into an offensive-minded coach. If Bud is fired I would pick him up as a safe pick but Id still develop a young assistant versed in progressive offensive schemes

brooks_thompson
09-10-2020, 01:39 PM
I agree. Id look into an offensive-minded coach. If Bud is fired I would pick him up as a safe pick but Id still develop a young assistant versed in progressive offensive schemes

I think he’ll be better than Brett Brown. By the end there, it seems like he had devolved over the years into a barely functioning alcoholic. You could practically smell the whiskey oozing out of his pores whenever he was shown on camera. And his manner of speaking became so weird and stilted over the last couple years.

DoctorP
09-10-2020, 01:50 PM
I think he’ll be better than Brett Brown. By the end there, it seems like he had devolved over the years into a barely functioning alcoholic. You could practically smell the whiskey oozing out of his pores whenever he was shown on camera. And his manner of speaking became so weird and stilted over the last couple years.

Ohvgeez. I hope not.

He did well in his tenure with the cards he was dealt. They needed a change.

Lil-Shrimp
09-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Lmao Brand:roll: