View Full Version : Blow it up morey

Hakkim90cc
09-10-2020, 10:11 PM
Fire d'antoni

Trade westbrook

Lets do this again next year

Turbo Slayer
09-10-2020, 10:16 PM
I wouldnīt be surprised if Morey gets fired next season. He just threw future draft picks and traded CP3 (still good) for a slowly declining Westbrook on a big contract.

A poor, ill-advised decision by him.

FireDavidKahn
09-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Harden is the star killer.

Marchesk
09-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Westbrook for Simmons.

Hakkim90cc
09-10-2020, 10:19 PM
I wouldnīt be surprised if Morey gets fired next season. He just threw future draft picks and CP3 (still good) for a slowly declining Westbrook.

Just a terrible fit next to harden

Turbo Slayer
09-10-2020, 10:24 PM
Just a terrible fit next to harden Agreed.

He is not a good volume shooter and when his shots at the rim isnīt falling, his impact takes a massive hit. Also his passing is great but not elite like LeBron, Jokic, etc...

CP3 is way better at volume shooting and passing the ball to cutters, lob threats, and shooters.

greymatter
09-10-2020, 10:28 PM
Dantoni isn't the problem.

Houston's idiot GM completely forgot that CP3 was the prime reason the Rockets were almost able to knock off the most talented team in NBA history (18 Warriors).

Traded CP3 and a bunch of assets for an inferior IQ/impact player who can't shoot 3s. Meanwhile CP3 takes a team that was given a 1.3% chance of making the playoffs to the brink of eliminating the Rockets in the 1st round.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-10-2020, 10:31 PM
He already has semi blown it up by getting rid of Chris Paul, Clint Capella, Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson. Those were all key guys during the 2018 run that should have been allowed to chase another title. The only key guys left from the 65 win team that would have been in the Finals two years ago are Harden, Gordon and Tucker.

If your expectations are title or bust at this point Morrey needs to be fired. They did not get any better by bringing in Westbrook. And why should Morrey get to hire another coach? He fired Rick Adelman, Kevin Mchale, didn't keep JB Bickerstaff and now is going to fire D'Antoni. At what point do you fire the GM?

If the Rockets goal is to have a competitive fun team that wins games and makes the playoffs every year and wins a series or two, ok keep it going. If your goal is to win titles, Morrey should not get to make anymore moves this offseason. 13 seasons is plenty of time and he has failed.

Hakkim90cc
09-10-2020, 10:33 PM
Agreed.

He is not a good volume shooter and when his shots at the rim isnīt falling, his impact takes a massive hit. Also his passing is great but not elite like LeBron, Jokic, etc...

CP3 is way better at volume shooting and passing the ball to cutters, lob threats, and shooters.

Wb is terrible off the ball...he's not a lob threat and can't catch and shoot...his game is predicated on that pull up midrange jumper but that doesn't fit in with d antoni's system

Not like harden is any better but atleast they play him tight

Turbo Slayer
09-10-2020, 10:42 PM
I know some people wont agree with me but I do think trading Harden and/or Russ is the right thing to do in the future. Look, man.

The Rockets core isnīt getting any younger. Harden is 31. Russ is 31 also. PJ Tucker is 35! They are definitely not winning championships especially when the Lakers and the Clippers can contend for a few more years. Also keep in mind the Blazers will come back relatively healthy, Mavs are quickly ascending to the top of the West, and GSW will come back next year more motivated and healthy also.

The Rockets should trade Harden to get some good, young role players and some 1st Rnd draft picks. Same thing with Russ. So unless the Rockets ownership are completely happy with just making the POs and getting bounced in Rnd 1 or 2, they should do this while their value is high.

Tobio-Star
09-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Dantoni isn't the problem.

Houston's idiot GM completely forgot that CP3 was the prime reason the Rockets were almost able to knock off the most talented team in NBA history (18 Warriors).

Traded CP3 and a bunch of assets for an inferior IQ/impact player who can't shoot 3s. Meanwhile CP3 takes a team that was given a 1.3% chance of making the playoffs to the brink of eliminating the Rockets in the 1st round.

Fax. Couldnt have put it better

imdaman99
09-10-2020, 11:10 PM
How are you gonna blow them up? You think they can get anything for Westbrook? :lol they thought Covington was the missing piece but turns out he can't stay in front of anyone (he is a great team defender though).

BigtimeNBAFan
09-10-2020, 11:13 PM
How are you gonna blow them up? You think they can get anything for Westbrook? :lol they thought Covington was the missing piece but turns out he can't stay in front of anyone (he is a great team defender though).

Yeah they are stuck with Harden and Westbrook. I honestly would keep Dantoni at this point. What coach is really going to be a better fit with that team? You aren't going to win a title no matter what coach you bring in to replace him. The Rockets are a 2nd round team for the foreseeable future.

greymatter
09-10-2020, 11:23 PM
I know some people wont agree with me but I do think trading Harden and/or Russ is the right thing to do in the future. Look, man.

The Rockets core isnīt getting any younger. Harden is 31. Russ is 31 also. PJ Tucker is 35! They are definitely not winning championships especially when the Lakers and the Clippers can contend for a few more years. Also keep in mind the Blazers will come back relatively healthy, Mavs are quickly ascending to the top of the West, and GSW will come back next year more motivated and healthy also.

The Rockets should trade Harden to get some good, young role players and some 1st Rnd draft picks. Same thing with Russ. So unless the Rockets ownership are completely happy with just making the POs and getting bounced in Rnd 1 or 2, they should do this while their value is high.

There's really nothing wrong with getting consistently bounced in the 2nd round. There's 30 teams and only 1 title. That means you were a top 8 team and are one key upgrade away from being a legit contender.

Completely blowing it up is stupid. You could easily be stuck being a lottery team for years before becoming relevant again. And by the time you build up enough, still wind up being well short of contending because you were stupid enough to give a max contract to a scrub like Tobias Harris (hey sixers) who will never come close to sniffing an AS game.

light
09-10-2020, 11:27 PM
Harden is an elite sidekick.

He shouldn't be your primary star.

Roundball_Rock
09-10-2020, 11:47 PM
I wouldnīt be surprised if Morey gets fired next season. He just threw future draft picks and traded CP3 (still good) for a slowly declining Westbrook on a big contract.

Also keep in mind Houston has big financial incentives to axe Morey, given the Hong Kong controversy with him in China.

I get what he did. They tried Harden/Howard and got to the WCF but lost. They tried Harden/Paul and got to the WCF but lost. Paul was healthy this year but he was hurt both years in Houston and had injury issues in LA. Moreover, Paul was beefing with Harden. They had to try something different and given Paul's contract, Westbrook was one of the few stars they could trade for. It backfired but Harden is 30. The window is closing. They had to try to get over the top with Harden still at his peak. In theory, he should start to decline in the coming years being on the wrong side of 30.

Pipes2.0
09-11-2020, 12:57 AM
If Cupcake Durant didn't join GSW, would the 2018 Rockets made the Finals in their place?
I know for sure the 2017 Spurs would have been in the finals if not for the weakest move of a superstar in NBA history.

brooks_thompson
09-11-2020, 01:13 AM
I don't say this lightly, because I hate rebuilding unless you've got to, but it's time to trade Harden. He's run his course in Houston. Get a couple good young guys back for him and like the last time, Rockets won't have to do a true teardown and rebuild, just maybe be an 8 seed contender til Westbrook expires. Gather assets in the meantime for another star trade. Rinse and repeat.

brooks_thompson
09-11-2020, 01:14 AM
And my God, whatever you do bring Jeff Green back! He's a revelation.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-11-2020, 01:27 AM
Also keep in mind Houston has big financial incentives to axe Morey, given the Hong Kong controversy with him in China.

I get what he did. They tried Harden/Howard and got to the WCF but lost. They tried Harden/Paul and got to the WCF but lost. Paul was healthy this year but he was hurt both years in Houston and had injury issues in LA. Moreover, Paul was beefing with Harden. They had to try something different and given Paul's contract, Westbrook was one of the few stars they could trade for. It backfired but Harden is 30. The window is closing. They had to try to get over the top with Harden still at his peak. In theory, he should start to decline in the coming years being on the wrong side of 30.

Yeah Morey has run his course if a title is your goal. 13 years in and 0 finals appearances. 2018 was close. It is a shame because had Chris Paul played, the whole landscape of the NBA might be different right now. Rockets are 2018 champs and we all have a totally different view of Morey, Dantoni and Harden. It also lowers the legacy of Durant and Curry since they only end up with 1 title after their teamup.

Whoah10115
09-11-2020, 11:01 AM
The small ball really worked for this team and the styles. But compare this duo to their younger selves in Oklahoma City. Harden didn't do the same dribble for 30 seconds like he does now, and would take different areas behind the line. Also, that version of Westbrook is the one I dislike the least. His lower APG that season was evidence of him passing more. He isn't Rondo (who definitely overdoes it), so he shouldn't be averaging 10APG. To do it he's just dominating the ball.

And the big difference is Kevin Durant. Not only another elite player, but the best of the three, and a tall-ass SG who technically played SF. That off-ball game, around screens and spreading the floor, really suited the trio. And it was also talent overload.

Westbrook and Harden are both SGs, and they're both SGs who are combo guards and don't do enough off the ball. A little taller and Westbrook is definitely a SF. But as it is they need a PG in the Curry vein (quick decisions and constantly running off ball, and a shooter).

They need a PG. And not even Chris Paul (tho they were close two years ago), but someone who plays a full court offensive game. It's tough.

AlternativeAcc.
09-11-2020, 11:05 AM
You can't win with Westbrook. Its impossible... KD made miracles happen with westbrick and garbage role players. Nobody else can come close.

Rockets are doomed and stuck with his horrible contract. Its over forever for Houston.

ronniec
09-11-2020, 11:21 AM
GM should be fired.
Back then people already knew, Westbrook might not do good without the touches. Having 2 guards that need to have high volume of touches would not work.

Gohan
09-11-2020, 03:02 PM
Harden is an elite sidekick.

He shouldn't be your primary star.

Nah nvm smh

NBAGOAT
09-11-2020, 03:09 PM
they gotta create some clever trade with gordon somehow. covington is still a bargain and you're not going get better in return. rockets really missed their chance when they could've traded 4 picks+gordon and/or tucker for butler.