PDA

View Full Version : Old bball computer games nostalgia

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 06:06 AM
Yes, Lakers v Celtics etc.

I miss the 2d block graphics.

Inspired by talk in another thread about NBA showdown.

Any great memories? I remember lots with NBA Live in the 90s. NBA live 96 using Penny and Shaq was fun...

Also NBA Action. Terrible gameplay but great stats and in season leaders/updates etc.

Also played Tecmo plus many others.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 07:12 AM
I had all those games back in the day. Lakers vs Celtics/Blazers, NBA showdown, NBA live, Tecmo NBA, NBA Jam, NBA action on genesis, NBA in the zone, 2K, Pat Rileys basketball, NBA Supreme court with David Robinson, Magic Johnson's Fast Break NES, Jordan vs Bird, Barkley Shut up and Jam, NBA All star challenge. F.uck I should have a 2nd home with all the money I spent on that shit over the years.

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 08:07 AM
I had all those games back in the day. Lakers vs Celtics/Blazers, NBA showdown, NBA live, Tecmo NBA, NBA Jam, NBA action on genesis, NBA in the zone, 2K, Pat Rileys basketball, NBA Supreme court with David Robinson, Magic Johnson's Fast Break NES, Jordan vs Bird, Barkley Shut up and Jam, NBA All star challenge. F.uck I should have a 2nd home with all the money I spent on that shit over the years.

Ha, that's awesome!

Did you play them all regularly or just focus on some?

rawimpact
09-11-2020, 08:37 AM
I use to play NBA In the Zone and man... Vinny Del Negro and Jeff Hornacek for some reason could drop 20 3's each

Reggie43
09-11-2020, 08:42 AM
Played a lot of these games but spent the most time on Double Dribble (Nes/Famicom) Nba Live 95 and 97 (Snes) Run and Gun 1 and 2 (Arcade) and Nba Live 2000 (PC) Was obsessed with Lebron before he came to the Nba that I was playing patched versions of him as a highschool kid on Live 2000 lol

ImKobe
09-11-2020, 08:46 AM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N7MAAOxyuPtQ9sLQ/s-l600.jpg

Obviously the live ones from early 2000s as well, but courtside was awesome for it's time.

Wally450
09-11-2020, 08:53 AM
NBA Live 2003 what the shit back in the day. I also got 2K7 when I first got my 360. My friend and I put major hours into that game. Those are newer games compared to the ones mentioned in this thread, but they're old now. :lol

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 09:00 AM
Played a lot of these games but spent the most time on Double Dribble (Nes/Famicom) Nba Live 95 and 97 (Snes) Run and Gun 1 and 2 (Arcade) and Nba Live 2000 (PC) Was obsessed with Lebron before he came to the Nba that I was playing patched versions of him as a highschool kid on Live 2000 lol
Run and gun at the arcade was amazing!!!!

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 09:01 AM
I use to play NBA In the Zone and man... Vinny Del Negro and Jeff Hornacek for some reason could drop 20 3's each

Awesome. Never tried with del negro. Liked Robinson but I struggled with his teams.

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 09:01 AM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/N7MAAOxyuPtQ9sLQ/s-l600.jpg

Obviously the live ones from early 2000s as well, but courtside was awesome for it's time.

Absolutely and great cover

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 09:02 AM
NBA Live 2003 what the shit back in the day. I also got 2K7 when I first got my 360. My friend and I put major hours into that game. Those are newer games compared to the ones mentioned in this thread, but they're old now. :lol

Yes. Great memories of playing against friends...in person

Dr Hawk
09-11-2020, 09:06 AM
I played NBA Live 2004 for like 10 years. It is by far my favorite sport game.

When EA released NBA Live 2005, the gameplay was already different, less arcade. I think they tried to make the movements more real, but I didn't like it at all.

The same happens to me with NBA 2K series. I don't enjoy the gameplay, I feel like the players don't move instantly like they used to in the NBA Live 2004.

I lost my NBA Live 2004 CDs, I wish I could buy it on Origin.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Ha, that's awesome!

Did you play them all regularly or just focus on some?

Usually I would trade them off to get the next years game. I always got my sports games on Genesis( they ran faster than on SNES, blast processing! :lol). Then once I got into Ps1/Saturn/ Dreamcast moving onto Xbox and shit I'd probably get a game on each. Like I'd get both Live and 2k and just played whatever I was feeling that day. I remember when Live 05 had the dunk contest and 3 point shoot-out, think Melo was on the cover. I played the shit outta that game. Eventually I stopped buying sports games like that since they become worthless the next year. Last NBA game I got was 2k19 on my Xbox One X when it was like $3. But yeah, whatever game(s) I had in any given year I played the shit outta them.

Oh yeah, can't forget I had NBA Courtside with Kobe on N64. :hammerhead:

imdaman99
09-11-2020, 09:59 AM
Dreamcast nba 2k2 or 2k3 I believe. It was a flawed game, that any player could do a behind the back dribble and get past their man :lol by any player I mean any guard/sf, not zan tabak :lol

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 10:00 AM
Live 95' was the first good simulation game. NBA Jam remains the overall GOAT game. :bowdown:

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 10:13 AM
They badly need a new Jam. Last one was like 2010 I think ( on fire edition). We have like a whole new era of stars now that weren't around then.

Oh yeah, can't forget NBA Street. I don't know how many hours I pumped into Vol. 2. Once Homecourt came out and you had to buy all the extra characters( instead of unlocking them) I fell off that train. I come from the era where you unlocked shit as rewards from playing and beating the game.

1987_Lakers
09-11-2020, 11:16 AM
I played NBA Live 2004 for like 10 years. It is by far my favorite sport game.

When EA released NBA Live 2005, the gameplay was already different, less arcade. I think they tried to make the movements more real, but I didn't like it at all.

The same happens to me with NBA 2K series. I don't enjoy the gameplay, I feel like the players don't move instantly like they used to in the NBA Live 2004.

I lost my NBA Live 2004 CDs, I wish I could buy it on Origin.

I had both NBA Live '03 and '04, loved both games, but '04 felt more like real basketball when you played it. In Live '03 you could drive to the hoop with Kobe and dunk on everyone, there was no rim protection in that game, in '04 there was actually some rim protection and defense. I probably enjoyed '03 more since I was like 12 yrs old and loved the arcade feel to it, and the soundtrack was fire in that game.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Live 03 was arcade as f.uck, fine if you like that kind of gameplay but 04( Vince on the cover IIRC?) Is definitely where the gameplay became more sim.

Dr Hawk
09-11-2020, 11:40 AM
I had both NBA Live '03 and '04, loved both games, but '04 felt more like real basketball when you played it. In Live '03 you could drive to the hoop with Kobe and dunk on everyone, there was no rim protection in that game, in '04 there was actually some rim protection and defense. I probably enjoyed '03 more since I was like 12 yrs old and loved the arcade feel to it, and the soundtrack was fire in that game.

Yes, '03 was even more arcade than '04. I also played '03 quite a lot, until '04 came out. '03 is my second favorite sports game.

Dr Hawk
09-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Live 03 was arcade as f.uck, fine if you like that kind of gameplay but 04( Vince on the cover IIRC?) Is definitely where the gameplay became more sim.

Yes, the gameplay between '03 and '04 changed, but I think it changed even more from '04 to '05. I couldn't stand '05s gameplay, I loved '04s arcade touch too much.

Im so nba'd out
09-11-2020, 11:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZD2_jfXzfQ

the memories.My God, Kg was a dog in this game

Dr Hawk
09-11-2020, 11:45 AM
This is perfection

https://youtu.be/_-gJNW_s-Hc

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 11:51 AM
Yes, the gameplay between '03 and '04 changed, but I think it changed even more from '04 to '05. I couldn't stand '05s gameplay, I loved '04s arcade touch too much.

Yeah it did, I recall liking 05 gameplay fine enough but most of the time I played the dunk contest.

Dr Hawk
09-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Yeah it did, I recall liking 05 gameplay fine enough but most of the time I played the dunk contest.

I used to play the 3pt contest mostly. Peja was my favorite.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 12:35 PM
I used to play the 3pt contest mostly. Peja was my favorite.

Yep played that a good bit too, think I used Nash and Dirk alot.

FKAri
09-11-2020, 12:38 PM
NBA Jam in the arcades. Sadly, I think arcades are all but gone nowadays.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 12:52 PM
NBA Jam in the arcades. Sadly, I think arcades are all but gone nowadays.

They're still around but they mostly exist as barcades. There's a company called Arcade1up that makes smaller versions of classic arcade cabinets, there is an NBA Jam version:

https://arcade1up.com/products/nba-jam-arcade-cabinet

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 01:04 PM
They're still around but they mostly exist as barcades. There's a company called Arcade1up that makes smaller versions of classic arcade cabinets, there is an NBA Jam version:

https://arcade1up.com/products/nba-jam-arcade-cabinet

Thanks! Added to the bucket list! :bowdown:

DoctorP
09-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Lakers vs Celtics was a big deal at the time but now plays like molasses.

Tecmo SuperNBA remains an underrated uptempo jumper fest with a solid two player experience.

Nba live had a few good years and was THE simulation franchise in the 90s. I had it on genesis and played it alot.

Nba jam was the most fun and best bball game of the 90s. I played it constantly on snes and arcade

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-11-2020, 01:14 PM
Jam and Showtime were my favorite NBA games of all time. BOOM SHAKALAKA!!! I remember "battling" youngsters at arcades back in the late 90s.

Live was a superior game, though, top to bottom, no doubt. Live 99 is the one where Chris Mullin literally never missed :lol

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Thanks! Added to the bucket list! :bowdown:

:cheers:

I may just get one myself and a few others.

Jay-B
09-11-2020, 01:43 PM
I liked those Lakers Vs whoever, but I’ve had some EPIC EPIC games on the nba live series.

In nba live Jordan wasn’t in the game, so you had to go to the create a guy Section and I forgot the name you had to put in but Jordan would miraculously appear, anyone remember that shit?

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 01:51 PM
I wonder who does the tech support for these barcade games? The company or Best Buy type techs?

I liked those Lakers Vs whoever, but I’ve had some EPIC EPIC games on the nba live series.

In nba live Jordan wasn’t in the game, so you had to go to the create a guy Section and I forgot the name you had to put in but Jordan would miraculously appear, anyone remember that shit?

I don't think Live 95' had a create a player feature but 96' did. You just put in "Michael Jordan" and he would appear already pre-set. It was the same way with other retired legends. I brought back KAJ, Magic, Bird, and several others.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Yep dont remember the name but I do recall he was like a hidden character using that system. Think some other players were too.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 01:55 PM
I wonder who does the tech support for these barcade games? The company or Best Buy type techs?

I think arcade1up does, but not 100. Is there any info on their website about warranty?

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 02:07 PM
I think arcade1up does, but not 100. Is there any info on their website about warranty?

Their website says they have a support portal where you can submit a tech support ticket. I assume they could remote into the machine since it has WiFi but I wonder who would fix it if it was something that had to be done in person. I assume they have some sort of way to do it. Best Buy, Amazon, Wal Mart, Target are involved in selling it and presumably they wouldn't get involved if the maker didn't have all their ducks in a row.

Warranty only 90 days.

Yep dont remember the name but I do recall he was like a hidden character using that system. Think some other players were too.

MJ and other legends were hidden poorly, at least in Live 96'. I stumbled on it trying to create "Michael Jordan" to put on the Bulls and he popped up and then tried it with Kareem and others and they were there too. In NBA Jam there were various codes to get a range of characters like Bill Clinton or the Sun's mascot and plus other codes for stuff like "Big Heads" or "Rainbow shooting". Remember how back in the day you had to get codes from video game books? Now you would just Google them.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 03:10 PM
Their website says they have a support portal where you can submit a tech support ticket. I assume they could remote into the machine since it has WiFi but I wonder who would fix it if it was something that had to be done in person. I assume they have some sort of way to do it. Best Buy, Amazon, Wal Mart, Target are involved in selling it and presumably they wouldn't get involved if the maker didn't have all their ducks in a row.

Warranty only 90 days.

In the case of somewhere like Bestbuy maybe their geek squad gets involved if they are authorized to. Otherwise any issues needing a hands-on fix may need to be sent back to them.

Re: codes from books I remember too well. I used to buy EGM monthly, I think they had game codes in the back? Though now that you mention it, I seem to recall stumbling upon MJ in Live 96 the same as you did, which then led to finding all the other 'hidden' players.

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Yeah, the game I really used the codes for was NBA Jam, especially at arcades. Some of it was game play related like "rainbow shots" (which improved your shooting) but some of it was just silly fun like "big heads" modes.

Remember how they would make guys like BJ Armstrong look like midgets in the game? :lol

PeroAntic
09-11-2020, 03:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IX3WeXMbs

bet none of you losers played this one. :lol

(except maybe 3ball lol)

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 03:34 PM
(except maybe 3ball lol)

Was he even alive when that game came out? :lol

scuzzy
09-11-2020, 03:36 PM
NBA Jam was the only early 90's game worthy of recognition, Midway was ahead of it's time with real players and the announcer call outs. Huge arcade hit

Unlike Madden, NHL, Ken Griffey MLB - other NBA games back then were just poorly developed and unsatisfying to play, especially vs friends

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 03:40 PM
NBA Jam was the only early 90's game worthy of recognition, Midway was ahead of it's time with real players and the announcer call outs. Huge arcade hit

Unlike Madden, NHL, Ken Griffey MLB - other NBA games back then were just poorly developed and unsatisfying to play, especially vs friends

Are you saying that based on how you felt in the moment, or with the benefit of hindsight? I mean obviously playing Bulls vs Lakers now would be tough but were you thinking that back in 1991?

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the game I really used the codes for was NBA Jam, especially at arcades. Some of it was game play related like "rainbow shots" (which improved your shooting) but some of it was just silly fun like "big heads" modes.

Remember how they would make guys like BJ Armstrong look like midgets in the game? :lol

:oldlol: lol yep. Man this thread is bringing back some memories.

scuzzy
09-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Are you saying that based on how you felt in the moment, or with the benefit of hindsight? I mean obviously playing Bulls vs Lakers now would be tough but were you thinking that back in 1991?
I just remember how flued I was able to play games like Tecmo Super Bowl and RBI Baseball vs friends, it was a blast. Same with Blades of Steel and Ken Griffey. But playing bball NES like Magic Johnson Fast Break and Tecmo NBA were clunky co-op experience. Especially 5v5 guarding and playing defense was real stiff, AI was poor. NBA Jam system to flip between just two players back n forth gave it a better experience, each player having unique stats/variables. Even the first few late 90's Live games were hard to control, which was unusual because EA made good Madden/NHL since 95

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Yeah, and it uniquely worked for basketball. There were NHL and NFL versions of "Jam" created several years later (forgot the NHL name but the the NFL game was called "Blitz") and it wasn't the same in those other sports.

:oldlol: lol yep. Man this thread is bringing back some memories.

Yes it is. :rockon: I assume everyone who played Jam at some point experienced the glitch they had that if you were going for a game winning dunk and the clock expired you stopped mid-dunk and lost the game (or went to OT). If you were shooting a regular shot, it would continue and would count towards the outcome.

Nothing beats dunking basically from half court. :lol

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 04:26 PM
I just remember how flued I was able to play games like Tecmo Super Bowl and RBI Baseball vs friends, it was a blast. Same with Blades of Steel and Ken Griffey. But playing bball NES like Magic Johnson Fast Break and Tecmo NBA were clunky co-op experience. Especially 5v5 guarding and playing defense was real stiff, AI was poor. NBA Jam system to flip between just two players back n forth gave it a better experience, each player having unique stats/variables. Even the first few late 90's Live games were hard to control, which was unusual because EA made good Madden/NHL since 95

Yeah I agree Jam is the only one of those NBA games thats gameplay stands the test of time. I just look at these other games all as products of their era in terms of what was technically possible at the time.

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 04:29 PM
Yes it is. :rockon: I assume everyone who played Jam at some point experienced the glitch they had that if you were going for a game winning dunk and the clock expired you stopped mid-dunk and lost the game (or went to OT). If you were shooting a regular shot, it would continue and would count towards the outcome.

Nothing beats dunking basically from half court. :lol

Oh yeah that used to piss me off :oldlol:

Phoenix
09-11-2020, 04:32 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7150865920/h8E08CE47/monster-fail

PeroAntic
09-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Was he even alive when that game came out? :lol

Hes probably still playing it. 'GOAT basketball game. ultimately, all the other basketball games had too many programmers working on them. MJ's game was made by one programmer and MJ himself, which proves GOAT status'.

Roundball_Rock
09-11-2020, 04:58 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7150865920/h8E08CE47/monster-fail

:lol

Hes probably still playing it. 'GOAT basketball game. ultimately, all the other basketball games had too many programmers working on them. MJ's game was made by one programmer and MJ himself, which proves GOAT status'.

:roll:

SATAN
09-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Yes, Lakers v Celtics etc.

I miss the 2d block graphics.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/lakers-versus-celtics-and-the-nba-playoffs-te/play-te

SATAN
09-11-2020, 08:17 PM

(except maybe 3ball lol)

:lol I also had another game kind of similar except with slightly better graphics and you can play MJ one on one. Might have been an illegal game being sold come to think of it.

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 08:22 PM
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/lakers-versus-celtics-and-the-nba-playoffs-te/play-te

Wow, thank you. Hate to admit but I just dominated with Kareem hook shots again (and no threes ha.)

oldtimer28
09-11-2020, 08:28 PM

(except maybe 3ball lol)

not a loser but yes. Bubble type crowd early

AlternativeAcc.
09-11-2020, 09:25 PM
https://tippingpitches.atavist.com/data/files/organization/232231/image/derivative/scale~1200x1200~screenshot-1520876682-36.png

sundog67
09-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Live 95' was the first good simulation game. NBA Jam remains the overall GOAT game. :bowdown:

+1

Anyone else remember Slam City? :oldlol:

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 06:13 AM
+1

Anyone else remember Slam City? :oldlol:

Trying not to cheat with google, was that the Sega CD game with Scottie?

pauk
09-12-2020, 07:21 AM
First game was Double Dribble (NES), dat dunk animation!
Then i got SNES and was obsessed with mostly NBA Live 95' & NBA Jam (Reggie Miller for 3!! 24-7).
Then i got PC and NBA Live 1998 blew my freakin mind, 3D basketball game!? What! Then came Live 99-00-01, kept just blowing my mind more and more.... NBA 2k on dreamcast... woohoo.... then the games got more and more boring/repetitive with years and i stopped playing bball games as much, i mean PC gaming (multiplayer/internet) generally took over with Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield, StarCraft, Warcraft, Call of Duty etc. so i spent time there.

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 07:34 AM
NBA Live becoming irrelevant has really dulled the sim market IMO. Theres no real incentive for 2K to do nothing but minor tweaks every year. Which, I guess has always been the case to a degree with annually pumped out games but 2k really could use a complete overhaul. Guess we'll see what next gen brings on that front.

At this point I'm way more interested in the arcade stuff like Playgrounds ( even though that's a diet coke version of Jam/Street). They need to bring back that EA Big label for all the Street/ SSX/ Def Jam games that were prominent on Ps2/xbox. Those were the glory days for arcade/extreme sports games.

oldtimer28
09-12-2020, 07:35 AM
First game was Double Dribble (NES), dat dunk animation!
Then i got SNES and was obsessed with mostly NBA Live 95' & NBA Jam (Reggie Miller for 3!! 24-7).
Then i got PC and NBA Live 1998 blew my freakin mind, 3D basketball game!? What! Then came Live 99-00-01, kept just blowing my mind more and more.... NBA 2k on dreamcast... woohoo.... then the games got more and more boring/repetitive with years and i stopped playing bball games as much, i mean PC gaming (multiplayer/internet) generally took over with Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield, StarCraft, Warcraft, Call of Duty etc. so i spent time there.

Yes, I also spent more time on other games. I also loved RPGs (so many on SNES (eg shadowrunner) and genesis (eg.shining force series))

dirkdiggler41
09-12-2020, 07:57 AM
NBA Ballers is the most underrated nba game of all time. There is no game where you feel so much in control of the player like this game. Shooting just feels so fluid. I still play this game today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aMZUzeULeU

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 08:08 AM
^ Oh shit, good call. I had that on Xbox. Remember it having a nice track list too.

oldtimer28
09-12-2020, 09:00 AM
NBA Ballers is the most underrated nba game of all time. There is no game where you feel so much in control of the player like this game. Shooting just feels so fluid. I still play this game today.

Never heard of it but looks interesting.

I remember some old games in the 90s that used to say THREE! when you hit one. Maybe NBA Live? Or another game. Anyone remember that?

oldtimer28
09-12-2020, 09:08 AM
This was great, thought it might have said three but can't find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0U83LJmxI

NBA Showdown 94 Sega Genesis Gameplay HD

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Never heard of it but looks interesting.

I remember some old games in the 90s that used to say THREE! when you hit one. Maybe NBA Live? Or another game. Anyone remember that?
Bulls vs Lakers/Blazers and Live did that:

https://youtu.be/xv4glEjiKRc

oldtimer28
09-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Maybe it was this - it says 3. Hint Golden State are amazing (but I get blocked on most 3s ha).

https://www.playemulator.com/sega-online/nba-showdown-94/

oldtimer28
09-12-2020, 09:19 AM

Great find and what a shot ha

Roundball_Rock
09-12-2020, 11:21 AM

This was cutting edge when it came out. :lol

NBA Live becoming irrelevant has really dulled the sim market IMO. Theres no real incentive for 2K to do nothing but minor tweaks every year. Which, I guess has always been the case to a degree with annually pumped out games but 2k really could use a complete overhaul. Guess we'll see what next gen brings on that front.

What happened to Live? I stopped playing a long time ago so missed when 2k overtook and then left Live in the dust.

Hey Yo
09-12-2020, 11:28 AM
Imagine thinking this was fun as a kid, but when it's all ya got then...............

https://i.imgur.com/N3zM0bc.gif

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 12:00 PM
This was cutting edge when it came out. :lol

What happened to Live? I stopped playing a long time ago so missed when 2k overtook and then left Live in the dust.

I'm not exactly sure. 2k forged ahead as the dominant brand over 10 years ago and it just seemed like EA ceded ( and unlike with Madden, they couldn't buy the exclusive NBA license). Their last effort was Live 19 and I think 16 before that. No game last year nor this year. This is expressly why I think they need to release a new Jam, because the only game in the arcade ball space is Playgrounds which is an inferior copy-cat. So basically 2k will have the sim market and EA the arcade market.

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Imagine thinking this was fun as a kid, but when it's all ya got then...............

You could say that about alot of games back then compared to now. Tech evolves. There are some games that transcend time but others don't. Sports games in general adhere to the latter with few exceptions( like NBA Jam).

Kblaze8855
09-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Shogon is still secretly annoyed I went like 2 years undefeated against all of ISH using the Bulls on NBA hang time when I’d set up emulator games at night in the dark ages. I lost games now and then...but never with the bulls. If Pippen was out there I literally never lost.

HoopsNY
09-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Jam and Showtime were my favorite NBA games of all time. BOOM SHAKALAKA!!! I remember "battling" youngsters at arcades back in the late 90s.

Live was a superior game, though, top to bottom, no doubt. Live 99 is the one where Chris Mullin literally never missed :lol

NBA Live 2000 was sick. For years Jordan wasn't in the game and finally in Live 2000 he was. You had to play him one on one on Superstar level and beat him at a game of 21. I finally did it using Allen Iverson. Plus they had the legends in the game. Pippen was way overrated though. He was rated 87 whereas guys like Wilt was rated 84, Magic 83, and Bird 83.

sundog67
09-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Trying not to cheat with google, was that the Sega CD game with Scottie?

Good memory, sure was! The game was pretty janky but it was pretty different and a lot of fun. I had it on PC, it was like the basketball version of Mad Dog McCree :oldlol:

HoopsNY
09-12-2020, 12:39 PM
God Sega had so many platforms. Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Dreamcast, and who could forget Sega 32x and Game Gear?

Shogon
09-12-2020, 12:48 PM
First basketball video game I played was this as a child...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Qhd52yT3A

By FAR my favorite basketball video game is this, as an older child...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orgru-fbQkA

No game has come remotely close since. They've all been massive failures by comparison.

Shogon
09-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Shogon is still secretly annoyed I went like 2 years undefeated against all of ISH using the Bulls on NBA hang time when I’d set up emulator games at night in the dark ages. I lost games now and then...but never with the bulls. If Pippen was out there I literally never lost.

You keep bringing this shit up and I had a dog shit internet connection. That was like ****ing 15 or 16 years ago. How many times do I have to say it? DOG SHIT INTERNET.

sundog67
09-12-2020, 12:56 PM
First basketball video game I played was this as a child...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Qhd52yT3A

Still have my 2600 and Basketball cartridge. :rockon:

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Good memory, sure was! The game was pretty janky but it was pretty different and a lot of fun. I had it on PC, it was like the basketball version of Mad Dog McCree :oldlol:

Oh good, age hasn't completely reduced my memory yet. :oldlol: I never played it but i do recall it on the system.

God Sega had so many platforms. Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega Dreamcast, and who could forget Sega 32x and Game Gear?

Don't forget the original SG-1000 and Master system. Sega flooding the market with a new console so frequently is part of why they eventually stopped making hardware.

1987_Lakers
09-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Weaker version of NBA Street Vol 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BZpWGQwUaM

oldtimer28
09-13-2020, 08:18 PM

imagine making a dumb comment in the ignorance of youth

oldtimer28
09-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Still have my 2600 and Basketball cartridge. :rockon:

winning

brooks_thompson
09-14-2020, 05:24 AM
Man I played the shit out of NBA Live 04 with the Vince Carter cover. I still remember the Mavericks were impossible to beat on the hardest difficulty. There was some serious programming cheating going on with the way they'd always fast break and you couldn't stop it. That was the year Antoine Walker was playing 'center'.

brooks_thompson
09-14-2020, 05:27 AM
And 95 is considered the classic, but I liked Live '96 more. I really liked being able to do the expansion draft as Vancouver or Toronto and then wrecking shop with the crappy players left unprotected. Brian Shaw was my go to guy.

TheGoatest
09-14-2020, 05:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30

Dr Hawk
09-14-2020, 06:09 AM
Weaker version of NBA Street Vol 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BZpWGQwUaM

I wish there was currently a game like this for PC players to play with friends. The only remotely similar one that I have found is Freestyle Basketball 2, which is entertaining and free to play, but having a modern NBA Street would be great.

oldtimer28
09-14-2020, 06:41 AM
Man I played the shit out of NBA Live 04 with the Vince Carter cover. I still remember the Mavericks were impossible to beat on the hardest difficulty. There was some serious programming cheating going on with the way they'd always fast break and you couldn't stop it. That was the year Antoine Walker was playing 'center'.

ha I remember that

oldtimer28
09-14-2020, 06:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa