PDA

View Full Version : Prime Alonzo Mourning vs prime Dwight Howard

Gudo
09-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Who would you rather have on your team?

I think they have very comparable offensive capabilities. Zo will give your better defense but howard more rebounding.

Micku
09-11-2020, 10:05 PM
I don't know if Mourning had better defense than Howard relative to the eras, but Mourning had more moves in the offensive end. Howard is more effective. He lives in the paint. Mourning had a mid range jumper and took more.

I would take Howard as a number 1 option cuz I think his presence in the paint offensive/defensive. I think it's easier to build off of him.
However, I think Mourning would be better in this era cuz he has the ability to shoot. I think he practice it, he could shoot the 3pt shot. Probably not great, but I think he could've. Mourning as option 2 tho seeing as even though Howard has a superior dominance in the paint on the offensive end, he ain't no Shaq.

But it's very tough tho. But Howard is more proven with it.

Gudo
09-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Watching the raptors game now, would you say ibaka is a better modern day comparison with mourning? Zo being a better version of course

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-11-2020, 10:37 PM
I don't know if Mourning had better defense than Howard relative to the eras

:facepalm

Zo was going up against Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, Duncan, Mutombo, Divac, Daughtery, Sabonis etc

Dwight was going up against Yao Ming, Al Horford, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, Al Jefferson, Joakim Noah :roll::roll:

"relative to era" is a bad argument here. Zo was in the golden age for centers and arguably bigs in general while Dwight was in the absolute worst and shallowest era for the center position. Dwight seeming more dominant in his era is more an indictment of his era than anything else. Meanwhile the best center Dwight was going up against for Yao Ming who used to body him too:lol

Reggie43
09-11-2020, 10:37 PM
You could go either way obviously but the main difference between them is Mourning played in the Golden age of bigmen with the likes of Olajuwon, Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, Malone, Barkley etc while Dwight was never tested that way. Its easier to stand out when a past prime Tim Duncan is basically the only player you have to worry about in the paint. Not saying they werent any decent bigs in his time but each player that I mentioned for the 90s has an Mvp award to their name except Ewing who was atleast mvp caliber.

dreamwarrior
09-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Zo was a rather average rebounder for the era. But he had a more complete offensive game while Dwight was more of a dunk machine.

Micku
09-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Watching the raptors game now, would you say ibaka is a better modern day comparison with mourning? Zo being a better version of course

It's a solid comparison.

Ibaka is a better shooter tho. Always was. Mourning never had the stroke that Ibaka had, midrange to 3pt but I imagine he'll be somewhat similar anyway. I'm sure he'll work on that. I think he'll get better looks nowadays.

Mourning is better down low in the paint, but like i said before, he had multiple ways to attack. Like someone could argue that it's better in his hands than Howard late game cuz of this very reason. And he is better at the FTs

Micku
09-11-2020, 10:50 PM
:facepalm

Zo was going up against Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, Duncan, Mutombo, Divac, Daughtery, Sabonis etc

Dwight was going up against Yao Ming, Al Horford, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, Al Jefferson, Joakim Noah :roll::roll:

"relative to era" is a bad argument here. Zo was in the golden age for centers and arguably bigs in general while Dwight was in the absolute worst and shallowest era for the center position. Dwight seeming more dominant in his era is more an indictment of his era than anything else. Meanwhile the best center Dwight was going up against for Yao Ming who used to body him too:lol

That's individual d. The team defense is more what you gott'a do as a big guy. How well can you lock down the paint and how well you don't get screw over by the picks. Individual defense, Howard didn't have the competition that Mourning did. Team tho? That's different. Especially in the 3 sec defense era. And that started in 2001. They did that to limit guys like Shaq, Mourning and Mutombo from camping in the paint. That is why it's relative to the era. The rules and the coaching philosophy changed.

There is much more emphasis on shooting now. Back then, even if you get the pick and the centers were on you, they sag off, daring someone to shoot. No lay ups. You still see that today, but sometimes these centers gott'a go up and contend. Teams tried to pick on Shaq on the pick, but he is so massive and had that intimidation factor, he could sag.

Regardless, it's true that Howard didn't defend the great centers in comparison to Mourning. 90s was like the golden era of top tier centers. But it was easier to defend back then due to a mixture of rules and philosophy. Not to say that Mourning isn't a worse defender or Howard is a better defender. Mourning was always great on D. I'm saying that with team defense, I don't think I could conclude which one is the better defender. If you think Mourning is better, cool. I won't argue too much on it.

Reggie43
09-11-2020, 10:52 PM

similar midrange and shotblocking but the difference between their actual impact is huge. Ibaka as the best player on your team wont lead you anywhere while Zo has had 61 win teams to his name.

Roundball_Rock
09-12-2020, 12:45 AM
Very close, great comp. If I was forced to choose between the prime versions of both I'm taking Alonzo. They are basically equal defensively, Howard the better rebounder, Mourning the better offensive player.

The eras are relevant to their accolades but there were 27-29 teams when Mourning was in his prime. Only 4 of them had Ewing, Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem. It isn't as if Mourning was going 30/15 on the other 23-25 teams or in 99' or 00' when Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem were all shells of themselves and Zo and Shaq were the only elite centers.

CelticBaller
09-12-2020, 12:47 AM
Give me prime Dwight. Easier to build a team around him. Get him hella shooters

Phoenix
09-12-2020, 04:54 AM
They're really about the same level prime for prime. The relative talent levels in their eras do matter as far as perception of how dominant each was. If you put Dwight in 1995 he's not in the first tier. He'd be on the same level of Mutombo and Mourning and below Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq and Ewing.

Zo was pretty undersized as a center though, especially in that era. So was Hakeem but Dream had an unrivalled bag of offensive tricks. If memory serves Zo played PF at Georgetown next to Mutombo at center.

houston
09-12-2020, 08:25 AM
Dwight was the more impactful center

TAZORAC
09-12-2020, 03:00 PM
Howard was one of the best shot blockers in his prime in NBA history. Mourning was better offensively.

I'll go with Howard, because he was the greatest rim protector ever.

MaxPlayer
09-12-2020, 03:08 PM
Probably Dwight although Zo was the better offensive player, so I could see him being a better fit on a team that needs more scoring.

Micku
09-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Howard was one of the best shot blockers in his prime in NBA history. Mourning was better offensively.

Mourning is a better shot blocker statically. His peak was 3.9 blks per game in 99. You can argue it's due to lockout year. But in 2000, he average 3.7 blks. He also have a better block percentage and career blks. Howard's best blk was 2.9 in the 09 season. Mourning average a block more. And you had Hakeem who average more than both of them at one point with 4.5 blks. Mutombo was great. Who knows how much Wilt average. Prime Kareem also had a lot. You can argue it might be due to the era and style of play.

I don't think Howard is the greatest rim protector ever.

But he has great defensive impact. Shot blocks don't always translate to great defensive impact. It's how Howard play the pick and rolls/pop and his coverage around the paint. But other centers probably did it better. In case of Mourning and Howard, I'm not really sure. They are similar.

Smoke117
09-12-2020, 04:51 PM

lol Howard isn't even close to the greatest rim protector ever.