PDA

View Full Version : So What do you think of Mike D'Antoni small ball innovation?

Nike D'Antoni
09-12-2020, 10:21 PM
With 6'5 as center, did the innovation succeed for other teams to follow?
Or did it fail?

Whoah10115
09-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Given the decision, don't see how anyone could argue it failed.

I don't think D'Antoni said trade Capella and don't get enough back. They improved defensively, even. What happened to them in this series has nothing to do with losing Capella, despite the size difference.

Marchesk
09-12-2020, 10:25 PM
I'll take Anthony Abdul-Jabbar over PJ Tucker at center in 2020.

Nike D'Antoni
09-12-2020, 10:27 PM

I don't think D'Antoni said trade Capella and don't get enough back. They improved defensively, even. What happened to them in this series has nothing to do with losing Capella, despite the size difference.

Do you think this was worst Houston team in last couple of years?

fourkicks44
09-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Failure in an absolute sense but they have been competitve and an above average team obviously.

Small ball is evolving and the Rockets sorta went left when winning basketball has gone right (Heat and Celtics for example).

Axe
09-12-2020, 10:39 PM
Didn't quite avoid a backdoor sweep. That's for sure.

Tobio-Star
09-12-2020, 10:43 PM
They have to give it a go one more year. Dont forget they actually forced us to adjust to them. We had to play small ball ourselves to compete. The only difference with them is Davis/Markieff are good 3pt shooting bigs and we have a defensive coach

fourkicks44
09-12-2020, 10:45 PM

They were better with Capella.

The two man game between Harden a Capella, the lobs etc was unstoppable. They have nothing like that now. It wouldn't have helped them now as Capella was injured and at the time the trade made sense. But he and Harden were an offensive weapon.

Nike D'Antoni
09-13-2020, 12:28 AM
https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/1304989293262315520

Rockets’ James Harden approves of smallball strategy: “Before these last few games, we were No. 1 in defense. It was the small things like rebounding. We just weren’t disciplined enough. The Lakers went on runs and it’s deflating when you get stops & they get offensive rebounds.”

MrFonzworth
09-13-2020, 12:34 AM
A lot better than the big ball Elton Brand pulled.

jayfan
09-13-2020, 06:29 AM
I thought it was an absolute joke from the beginning.

And it is.

D'Antoni and Harden were made for each other.

jayfan
09-13-2020, 06:31 AM

Rockets’ James Harden approves of smallball strategy: “Before these last few games, we were No. 1 in defense. It was the small things like rebounding. We just weren’t disciplined enough. The Lakers went on runs and it’s deflating when you get stops & they get offensive rebounds.”

"Small things like rebounding."

:facepalm

Doranku
09-13-2020, 06:34 AM

They were #1 on defense because they played the offensively inept CP3 Thunder in the first round. :lol

Manny98
09-13-2020, 06:34 AM
It worked, but when the Lakers went small they didn't sacrifice size that's what the Rockets lacked and House being out didn't help them either

The Rockets need to go and grab a Serge Ibaka in the off-season and play him at the 5

jayfan
09-13-2020, 06:56 AM
They were #1 on defense because they played the offensively inept CP3 Thunder in the first round. :lol

Facts.

OKC has 3 players on their entire team who can score the ball.

Trollsmasher
09-13-2020, 07:45 AM
Why not just play a small ball with a 6'11 guy like the Lakers:lol

Whoah10115
09-13-2020, 08:28 AM
Do you think this was worst Houston team in last couple of years?

Yeah, but I think the Westbrook/Harden combination is the bigger reason why.

Whoah10115
09-13-2020, 08:29 AM
They were better with Capella.

The two man game between Harden a Capella, the lobs etc was unstoppable. They have nothing like that now. It wouldn't have helped them now as Capella was injured and at the time the trade made sense. But he and Harden were an offensive weapon.

I meant this season.

Bronbron23
09-13-2020, 09:18 AM

It absolutely failed. The goal is to win a chip and they didn't do that. A huge reason was there size. They were much better when they were bigger and longer they almost beat the warriors with kd which imo was a better team

Bronbron23
09-13-2020, 09:21 AM
small ball dosnt work. The game always has and always will be dominated by bigger longer players. In thw kast 40 years only 3 players under 6'5 won chips as their teams best player. Isiah, wade and steph.

red1
09-13-2020, 09:25 AM
every big man in the league watched this series at home laughing :oldlol:

Real Men Wear Green
09-13-2020, 09:29 AM
I'm not a fan of the pathological smallball but what failed is the combination of Harden and Westbrook. You can certainly win games with the two pf them but they don't compliment each other beyond forcing you to put your second-best perimeter defender on a superstar. The problem being that although on paper it's "twi MVPs in their prime!" they won those MVPs dominating the basketball and not playing with each other. If you take Westbrook off the ball he's just another guy without a good jumper abs if you take Harden off the ball he's still useful but not going to do his elite scoring. Trade one of them for a great big (anathema, I know) and that team gets a lot better.

Jasper
09-13-2020, 10:27 AM
It's called Nellie ball