PDA

View Full Version : How well would a prime Rodman fare if he was in a small/micro ball team?

LukeWalton
09-13-2020, 02:24 AM
Warriors, Rockets, etc have moved to small ball and even micro ball, with shorter 'centers'

how well would Rodman fare today had he been placed in a team and positioned as a center?

Anfernee
09-13-2020, 03:47 AM
He would be even more effective. However, he might really have to develop a shot, tho.

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 04:25 AM
He'd be a perfect small ball center, but with the ability to effectively defend bigger players( he was defending guys like Shaq, Malone, Barkley and Mourning during the pound it in the paint era). Mind you he wouldnt be able to get away with some of the antics he pulled in his day.

Bronbron23
09-13-2020, 09:24 AM
Warriors, Rockets, etc have moved to small ball and even micro ball, with shorter 'centers'

how well would Rodman fare today had he been placed in a team and positioned as a center?

Pretty good. He can defend 1-5 which is huge in this era where they use screens almost every play to create mismatches.

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 09:30 AM
Pretty good. He can defend 1-5 which is huge in this era where they use screens almost every play to create mismatches.

Yep. Rodman guarded everyone from MJ to Shaq. He's more or less a prototypical 'positionless' defender.

MaxPlayer
09-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Rodman would be great in any defensive scheme, but for small-ball in particular I think I might prefer someone like Zion (assuming he stays healthy) who would really give you an offensive mismatch to exploit.

Shogon
09-13-2020, 10:02 AM
Rodman is a guy that has been tasked with guarding Shaq. He would do just fine defensively in an era of absolutely no post play centers. He would likely be the best defensive player in the league.

starface
09-13-2020, 10:25 AM
He'd be a perfect small ball center, but with the ability to effectively defend bigger players( he was defending guys like Shaq, Malone, Barkley and Mourning during the pound it in the paint era). Mind you he wouldnt be able to get away with some of the antics he pulled in his day.

This, which would be a bit of a problem given it’s how he helped mitigate size disadvantages.

Im not sure how he translates tbh. The league is so ridiculous with the no defense allowed policy now. Plus a lot of the guys hed be guarding now just camp out at the three point line anyway, so theres less opportinity to hound/neutralize them. Also theres more length in the league today (and more girth with guys like LePackage) so Im not convinced he gobbles up rebounds at the same rate. Would his contributions in those areas still justify his complete lack of offensive ability?

I mean Steve Kerr was a five time champion, clutch shot maker in Rodmans era. He doesnt make the league today and he’s admitted it. I dont think we can assume Rodman is Rodman in any age. All we know for sure is he was super well suited to at least one particular era.

Bronbron23
09-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Yep. Rodman guarded everyone from MJ to Shaq. He's more or less a prototypical 'positionless' defender.

Yeah man. Might need to improve a little offensively but if he came up in this era he probably would have

Roundball_Rock
09-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Agree with the comments about him being a defensive monster today.

Re offense, he averaged 12 PPG early in his career in Detroit. Not scoring at all just became part of his gimmick later in his career but he would have random games where he would decide to take 3's and the crowd would love it.

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 02:33 PM
This, which would be a bit of a problem given it’s how he helped mitigate size disadvantages.

Im not sure how he translates tbh. The league is so ridiculous with the no defense allowed policy now. Plus a lot of the guys hed be guarding now just camp out at the three point line anyway, so theres less opportinity to hound/neutralize them. Also theres more length in the league today (and more girth with guys like LePackage) so Im not convinced he gobbles up rebounds at the same rate. Would his contributions in those areas still justify his complete lack of offensive ability?

I mean Steve Kerr was a five time champion, clutch shot maker in Rodmans era. He doesnt make the league today and he’s admitted it. I dont think we can assume Rodman is Rodman in any age. All we know for sure is he was super well suited to at least one particular era.

Bear in mind though that it was post-Detroit Rodman that really went off the rails, in both his on and off-court life. Peak Dennis in the late 80's/early 90's was just a straight up defensive blitz and that's the version who I think translates fine to this era. Of course he would have to adjust to today's defensive rules, but for all his craziness Rodman's basketball IQ doesn't get the credit it should. Watch 'the Last Dance' episode about him where he talks about rebounding and how he studied how the ball comes off the rim. It's as impressive as anyone talking about their offensive ability IMO.

Yeah man. Might need to improve a little offensively but if he came up in this era he probably would have

A bit but I don't think his lack of scoring would be a major hindrance. I watched some highlights recently of a game during his Pistons days where he went off for 30+ and there wasn't a single play called. Just a nose for the ball and knowing where to be at the right times, and showed some underrated off-ball instincts. He seemed to make a point not to score once he got to San Antonio leaded to his Bulls days. I think had he concentrated more on offense and less on defense/rebounding he wouldn't have been as special or unique. Basically what he did for his teams on the end of the floor few like to play was worth more, within the context of his teams success, than had he put up a few more PPG potentially at the expense of what made him really stand out.

Turbo Slayer
09-13-2020, 02:36 PM
Rodman is an underrated floor raiser.

tpols
09-13-2020, 02:43 PM
The whole premise of "small ball" is that your center can shoot 3's and space the floor... Dray and PJ Tucker did this for the Warriors and Rockets respectively. Thats why they used to call it the death lineup when bogut sat. Bogut couldn't shoot 3's. He was only there to set a defensive tone that you're not going to get easy buckets to start the game and get in a rhythm. And he was great at it. I'm sure Rodman would still be great, but offenses with him in it would be playing 4v5. He has no outward spacing impact.

Kblaze8855
09-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Rodman could score more than the numbers make you think. He literally tried not to score at times. I heard a coach of his mention that Dennis loves seeing those weird 0 point 21 rebound 5 assist stat lines. If you asked him to shoot threes he would. There were times in the pistons he would take 3-4 for no good reason. He wasn’t a Simmons type unwilling to try. Tell him to work on it he’d do it.

RRR3
09-13-2020, 03:02 PM
The whole premise of "small ball" is that your center can shoot 3's and space the floor... Dray and PJ Tucker did this for the Warriors and Rockets respectively. Thats why they used to call it the death lineup when bogut sat. Bogut couldn't shoot 3's. He was only there to set a defensive tone that you're not going to get easy buckets to start the game and get in a rhythm. And he was great at it. I'm sure Rodman would still be great, but offenses with him in it would be playing 4v5. He has no outward spacing impact.
Why are you acting like he never shot 3s? He made 32 3s (out of 101 attempts or 31.7%) in 1992. That was back when bigs were discouraged from shooting 3s. No reason to think he couldn’t have become a guy who shot at least 30-33% taking 3-5 3s a game. Granted that isn’t good but he would still bring the opposing center out.

Roundball_Rock
09-13-2020, 03:13 PM
No reason to think he couldn’t have become a guy who shot at least 30-33% taking 3-5 3s a game.

"90's player would improve his three point shooting in this era because he would practice it from day 1" is applied only selectively.

As several people have noted, if he wanted to he could shoot threes and score some (not great but he wasn't the 0 on offense he later was). He just stopped scoring as a key part of his gimmick.

Phoenix
09-13-2020, 03:43 PM
https://youtu.be/f4WXNq4-F6A

Marchesk
09-13-2020, 03:57 PM
It's amazing to think Dennis Rodman would probably be more efficient three point shooter than Westbrook in today's game. :lol

97 bulls
09-13-2020, 07:53 PM
Rodman would be a beast in todays game. Easily 12-15pts (if he tried to score) and 20+ rebounds a night with great defense.

Even with the Bulls. Phil Jackson said Rodman was the best athlete hed ever seen. His role just changed.

And1AllDay
09-13-2020, 07:57 PM
Rodman would be a beast in todays game. Easily 12-15pts (if he tried to score) and 20+ rebounds a night with great defense.

Even with the Bulls. Phil Jackson said Rodman was the best athlete hed ever seen. His role just changed.

imagine rodman as the ultimate 3 and d guy if he develops his shot, that guy would be ultimate

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Babybois dont realize that Chicago went to Rodman at the 5 lineups quite a bit in the playoffs

In 98 he played over half of his playoff minutes at the 5

His rebounding, screening and defense would be a nightmare for most teams specially with a spacing 4 like Kukoc