PDA

View Full Version : What defensive strategy should the Lakers employ against the Clippers?

Shogon
09-13-2020, 12:01 PM
I honestly have not watched enough of the Clippers to really have any true thoughts about it one way or the other, but what do you guys think about making LeBron's entire series being almost exclusively focused on stopping Kawhi? Basically flipping the roles from the 2014 Finals. Sure, the Lakers would need play making, but maybe you start Rondo and see how he does and how this works for at least a half or something. I'm pretty sure if LeBron didn't have to focus on offense he could **** Kawhi's day up real bad.

But that begs the question, how do you stop the Clippers offense? Are they heavily based around Kawhi's scoring? IDK. I know that George and Williams can have big offensive games from time to time and erase Kawhi's down nights, but I guess the big question of the thread is... what are the holes in the Clippers offense? How do you stop/disrupt it? Is Kawhi's scoring a big part of their team offense?

I genuinely don't know. Please tell me.

Tobio-Star
09-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Id go with focusing on Kawhi. He isnt a great playmaker and is pretty much the heart and engine of their offense (because he has the ball like 70% of the time) so if you lock him down it can be huge for the Clippers.

If that doesnt work in G1 or even by halftime they should try focusing on George because he tends to choke when defenses get tighter

RRR3
09-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Vogel needs to keep starting Morris. It makes them much more versatile defensively and opens up the floor for LeBron and AD. He was really valuable against Houston. Dwight is playable again in this series and he should get the backup center minutes. JaVale should be benched.

Tobio-Star
09-13-2020, 12:55 PM
The Lakers are one of the best teams at contesting midrange shots. Locking Kawhi up shouldnt be hard at all imo. Otoh, I doubt they can really shut down LeBron since they couldnt do it for Doncic and LeBron is basically a bigger and more athletic version of the kid

Tobio-Star
09-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Vogel needs to keep starting Morris. It makes them much more versatile defensively and opens up the floor for LeBron and AD. He was really valuable against Houston. Dwight is playable again in this series and he should get the backup center minutes. JaVale should be benched.

Agreed. Hopefully Dion will be available by then as well

MaxPlayer
09-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Vogel needs to keep starting Morris.

Yeah this goes without saying IMO. Morris will do the lion's share of checking Kawhi (although he'll frequently get help).

imdaman99
09-13-2020, 01:00 PM
IMO Lakers match up well against the Clips. They don't need Lebron to play 40 mins of defense, just at the end in close games. That's what I saw the last 2 times they played. He's got his role players cooking and of course playoff Rondo on Playoff P to throw him off should help. It is important for the Lakers to minimize PG, because if he's hitting than it'll be near impossible since I can't see Kawhi having a bad series.

Clips don't play team ball, they are prob the only team left now that the Rockets are done that don't have a system. Just a bunch of guys ISO'ing. It's a good thing Lakers just played 2 teams that ISO a lot, so they are prepared lol.

Lakers in 6.