PDA

View Full Version : Best Coaching Seasons in the last 20 years?

BigKAT
09-13-2020, 10:48 PM
Not necessarily NBA Champs only

If we're looking at individual seasons only, what's the best 'coaching job' you've seen?

2019 - Nick Nurse (I love what he did at the Center position all season long. Also found ways to empower the 'other guys' like Fred and Siakam. In the end they won because of Kawhi but I think Nurse is a bloody genius.

2015 - Coach Bud

60 win from a team that had no business winning that much. (Not to mention an ECF appearance.)

2014 - Greg Popovich

Arguably the best-coached team in history in terms of Xs and Os. (Beautiful game.)

2011 - Rick Carlisle
Not sure how much of their success is Rick and how much is just expert team building (Tyson, Kidd, Jet,) around an All-time great.

2004 Larry Brown

Pistons beat a team with Prime Shaq & Prime Kobe. (The Lakers did kinda implode but still.)

What do you guys think?

Also probably one of the Suns teams with Mike D'antoni deserve to be here.

Axe
09-13-2020, 10:52 PM
What you think about dwane casey? Made the raptors great in the rs for several seasons but came short in the pos each time tho.

Smoke117
09-13-2020, 10:56 PM
Coaches in the NBA are so overrated. Look at the last 20 years...every team that had the better players and talent has won basically. This is especially true considering how many coaches are horrible at the X's and O's anyway. The league is basically full of a bunch of player coaches...aka sports psychologist. Very few actually know how to win a game strategically.

BigKAT
09-13-2020, 11:08 PM
Coaches in the NBA are so overrated. Look at the last 20 years...every team that had the better players and talent has won basically. This is especially true considering how many coaches are horrible at the X's and O's anyway. The league is basically full of a bunch of player coaches...aka sports psychologist. Very few actually know how to win a game strategically.

I tend to agree with you on the most part.
For years I felt the same.

But recently I've seen some things that made me think.

One of the best examples is the 7-game chess match between Nick Nurse and Brad Stevens we just watched.
Also look at the adjustments Vogel is making on a game-to-game basis.

These are the same adjustments Bud & Brown failed to make in Philly and Milwuakee.

Also the Heat are not winning because Jimmy butler is averaging 40 points a game and is a better player than Giannis.
They're winning because their coaching staff prepared a PERFECT defensive scheme to contain the bucks.

Bottom line,

I agree that too many coaches are overpaid therapists.
But we've also seen a bunch of real strategists out there altering the outcome of playoff games with their rotations, coverages and schemes.

BigKAT
09-13-2020, 11:09 PM
What you think about dwane casey? Made the raptors great in the rs for several seasons but came short in the pos each time tho.

I think he did a great job for the most part.

Not sure how much of Toronto's implosions were due to bad coaching or Lebron being their kryptonite.

Pipes2.0
09-14-2020, 09:31 AM
I think he did a great job for the most part.

Not sure how much of Toronto's implosions were due to bad coaching or Lebron being their kryptonite.

I can still remember those post game interviews where Lowry and Derozan were complaining about Lebron being just too good. :oldlol: