PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kawhi so much better at scoring then Kobe?

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 02:42 PM
17-'20 Kawhi in PS (per 100): 38.6 PPG on .630 TS% (+7.0 rTS)

08-'10 Kobe in PS (per 100): 38.6 PPG on .569 TS% (+2.7 rTS)

Gohan
09-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Yea but Kobe would of had this series closed out by now. Gotta give Kobe credit

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 03:49 PM

Kobe was taken to 7 games by Aaron brooks and Ron Artest Rockets, that's way worse.

Jokic/Murray are a legit all-star duo that will be around for years and Jokic is arguably the best big man in the game.

Also imagine if Kawhi was in the triangle offense, his offense would excel even higher.

Doranku
09-14-2020, 05:10 PM
Kobe was taken to 7 games by Aaron brooks and Ron Artest Rockets, that's way worse.

Jokic/Murray are a legit all-star duo that will be around for years and Jokic is arguably the best big man in the game.

Also imagine if Kawhi was in the triangle offense, his offense would excel even higher.

Murray has never even been an all-star :oldlol:

tpols
09-14-2020, 05:20 PM
He shoots better but I'm not convinced Kawhi gets the level of defensive attention he faced. (opening things up for teammates even more) No way in hell Kobe losing to this nugget team, he used to trash better versions of Denver in his heyday.

Roundball_Rock
09-14-2020, 05:41 PM
Kawhi doesn't take as many dumb shots as Kobe did. Kobe, for all his skill, he was a below average shooter (relative to the league) from the field for his prime because of that. TS masks that because he was superb from the line.

Yeah, it is weird to claim "Kobe would never..." when what the Lakers did in the 09' WCSF would be like the Clippers going 7 with a Nuggets team without Jokic and Murray (Yao and T Mac). That isn't the same as going 7 with a full strength (Gary Harris doesn't count :oldlol: ) #3 seed.

NBAGOAT
09-14-2020, 05:49 PM
Kobe passes better like 7apg vs 6apg. Don’t think Denver’s doubling every so often when kawhi drives would work as well.

Kblaze8855
09-14-2020, 05:51 PM
He isn’t.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-14-2020, 06:02 PM

And Kobe was ass in the game 7 against Houston in 09.

DMAVS41
09-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Kobe was better as a scorer.

It is easier now to score with the rules and spread out offenses being harder to guard...and it is artificially closer because Kobe took so many dumb shots. I don't know, maybe you could convince me that Leonard not taking as many bad shots has a lot of value, but I'd still go with Kobe.

As players overall...pretty close, but Kobe could just get it going and kill you scoring wise in a way Leonard really can't...or at least hasn't proven he can.

Gohan
09-14-2020, 06:17 PM

It is easier now to score with the rules and spread out offenses being harder to guard...and it is artificially closer because Kobe took so many dumb shots. I don't know, maybe you could convince me that Leonard not taking as many bad shots has a lot of value, but I'd still go with Kobe.

As players overall...pretty close, but Kobe could just get it going and kill you scoring wise in a way Leonard really can't...or at least hasn't proven he can.

I’m taking Kobe all day with the clippers

light
09-14-2020, 06:28 PM

Kawhi's career high is 45 points.

He can't even score 50.

:roll:

Gohan
09-14-2020, 07:02 PM
Kawhi's career high is 45 points.

He can't even score 50.

:roll:

I didn’t even know that, he’s real consistent though

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 07:09 PM
Murray has never even been an all-star :oldlol:

The 4 month layoff was an off-season where he merged into an all star/superstar player. 2020 nuggets are better then any west team that 09 or 2010 Kobe faced.

Doranku
09-14-2020, 07:11 PM
The 4 month layoff was an off-season where he merged into an all star/superstar player. 2020 nuggets are better then any west team that 09 or 2010 Kobe faced.

The '09 Nuggets and '10 Suns would shit on this Nuggets team. Hell, the 2010 Thunder would probably beat them.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 07:12 PM
He shoots better but I'm not convinced Kawhi gets the level of defensive attention he faced. (opening things up for teammates even more) No way in hell Kobe losing to this nugget team, he used to trash better versions of Denver in his heyday.

Kawhi doesn't take as many dumb shots as Kobe did. Kobe, for all his skill, he was a below average shooter (relative to the league) from the field for his prime because of that. TS masks that because he was superb from the line.

Yeah, it is weird to claim "Kobe would never..." when what the Lakers did in the 09' WCSF would be like the Clippers going 7 with a Nuggets team without Jokic and Murray (Yao and T Mac). That isn't the same as going 7 with a full strength (Gary Harris doesn't count :oldlol: ) #3 seed.

Roundball did my response to TPOLS for me on the whole Kobe wouldn't go 7 with Jokic thing.

Kawhi gets plenty of attention from nuggets/76ers he is consistently being double teamed by Jokic and Embiid in those series.

Gohan
09-14-2020, 07:13 PM

Nah clippers is struggling because of the coach. This nuggets team is nothing special at all

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 07:14 PM
The '09 Nuggets and '10 Suns would shit on this Nuggets team. Hell, the 2010 Thunder would probably beat them.

Suns played no defense. This nuggets team is much better then average. Jokic is also an underrated playoff performer and better then Steve Nash was in playoffs.

Doranku
09-14-2020, 07:16 PM
Suns played no defense. This nuggets team is much better then average. Jokic is also an underrated playoff performer and better then Steve Nash was in playoffs.

And this Nuggets team does? :roll:

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 07:16 PM

I did the compassion relative to efficiency in the league at the time. Anything more is just exaggerating and old man yelling at the clouds.

Kobe has never had a playoff scoring run of 732 points on 62% TS like Kawhi did.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 07:17 PM
And this Nuggets team does? :roll:

Grant and Harris are good defenders, Jokic is good. And they matchup well with clippers. Jokic has never been embarrassing on defense like Nash was.

tpols
09-14-2020, 07:21 PM
I'm watching the games... Kawhi doesn't face nearly as many doubles or pressures. The Rockets thing was a Hawks type situation... the Lakers blew the Rockets out in each of their 4 wins by 13, 14, 40, and 19. They molly whopped them. So there's a bunch of hypocrisy right out the gate given discussion in recent threads.

I recently thought Kawhi was one of the top 5 perimeter players ever but after watching some of this series, and how he's let his team choke away huge leads in elimination games... IDK if he has the intangible effect of a Kobe. Who was a killer competitor and whose energy was vast and permeable to his teammates. Kawhi individually is a GOAT robot producer. He doesn't instill fear in opponents, or inspiration in his troops. And that is an intangible factor that needs to be considered and recognized.

KissMySwag
09-14-2020, 07:33 PM
I guess you could consider them bad shots whether you put era into it or not but talking about the last two years how many times is kawhi getting doubled or tripled forced into taking fadeaway jumpers? How many does he hit? Does he even put up these shots on this type of defense? We can't keep comparing todays players on yesterdays players cause the game isnt the same. Let's talk about the difference in spacing, the difference on defensive rules, the defense that's even legal today. It's the same reason we cant talk about luka compared to oscar, we can't talk about james harden. The game changes quit comparing this new shit to the old shit it's not the same.

KissMySwag
09-14-2020, 07:37 PM
That being said i'm cool with the game. If this is what it is it is what it is but quit trying to compare it to other era's cause it's not those other eras the games gonna change either roll with it or don't but don;t hate on older era's or newer eras just cause the games evolved. Live with it or forget about it not everyone will be happy.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 08:03 PM
I'm watching the games... Kawhi doesn't face nearly as many doubles or pressures. The Rockets thing was a Hawks type situation... the Lakers blew the Rockets out in each of their 4 wins by 13, 14, 40, and 19. They molly whopped them. So there's a bunch of hypocrisy right out the gate given discussion in recent threads.

I recently thought Kawhi was one of the top 5 perimeter players ever but after watching some of this series, and how he's let his team choke away huge leads in elimination games... IDK if he has the intangible effect of a Kobe. Who was a killer competitor and whose energy was vast and permeable to his teammates. Kawhi individually is a GOAT robot producer. He doesn't instill fear in opponents, or inspiration in his troops. And that is an intangible factor that needs to be considered and recognized.

Raptors came back from down 0-2 vs bucks and down 1-2 vs 76ers

That's plenty of inspiration. Kawhi is also a tier or two ahead of Kobe as a defender and anybody with a brain can figure that out. Kawhi is the way better rebounder, more efficient scorer despite not being in a triangle offense that won 6 rings without Kobe. I don't really see any argument for Kobe at all, besides he was a better ball handler maybe.

It doesn't really matter how you were taken to 7 games anymore then it matters who you were playing. Taken to 7 by Aaron Brooks is just inexcusable.

tpols
09-14-2020, 08:12 PM
He was a better ball handler, passer, playmaker, and finisher. Kawhi doesn't have anywhere near the poster collection Kobe has. There's an intangible effect to buckets gotten. When you yam on somebody, or destroy a double... it discourages the defense. And rallies the squad. Momentum. Kawhi sleepwalk kills you, but it's rare I see a sequence from him where it's like he buried the opposition, forced timeouts and swayed the crowd. He wasn't as intangibly dangerous as Kobe. And obviously didn't have his teaching abilities behind the scenes... motivating impact on teammates. The man barely talks or shows any emotion at all. It's hard to be a leader without that. He's been constantly team hopping from stacked squad to stacked squad... skirting all leadership process. That matters.

ThatCoolKid
09-14-2020, 08:13 PM
Becuase Kawhi is a better player than Kobe was impact wise.

ThatCoolKid
09-14-2020, 08:14 PM
He was a better ball handler, passer, playmaker, and finisher. Kawhi doesn't have anywhere near the poster collection Kobe has. There's an intangible effect to buckets gotten. When you yam on somebody, or destroy a double... it discourages the defense. And rallies the squad. Momentum. Kawhi sleepwalk kills you, but it's rare I see a sequence from him where it's like he buried the opposition, forced timeouts and swayed the crowd. He wasn't as intangibly dangerous as Kobe. And obviously didn't have his teaching abilities behind the scenes... motivating impact on teammates. The man barely talks or shows any emotion at all. It's hard to be a leader without that. He's been constantly team hopping from stacked squad to stacked squad... skirting all leadership process. That matters.

"He isn't as intangibly dangerous as Kobe." - is just mental gymnastics BS because Kawhi is better than Kobe ever was and you're delusional and want to ignore reality.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 08:21 PM

2008-2010 Kobe wasn't really going to dunk on you as much as you're making out to be. So what he's the better finisher, he still way less efficient and worse shot selection as a scorer (aka worse scorer).

Kawhi had Lowry who was worse then Pau Gasol, so I don't see a supporting casts argument either. Kawhi has much better on/off stats during his raptors title run then 08-2010 Kobe did as well.

Kobe's best player Pau Gasol was better then Magic's best player Dwight Howard. Kawhi had to play actual great stars like Curry/Draymond.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 08:23 PM
"He isn't as intangibly dangerous as Kobe." - is just mental gymnastics BS because Kawhi is better than Kobe ever was and you're delusional and want to ignore reality.

Exactly. You're dead on here.

Roundball_Rock
09-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Taking bad shots has nothing to do with era. It's inherently an era based thing since the observation is made relative to the shots other stars are taking in the same era. Kobe often took a bad shot instead of passing to an open player.

It is interesting we suddenly are hearing about playmaking, defense, passing, ballhandling, and intangibles from people like tpols. I thought every player is defined by scoring? The OP is talking about scoring. He didn't say Kawhi was the better overall player. He said Kawhi was the better scorer and made that claim using efficiency. Suddenly efficiency doesn't matter (I agree you can't compare efficiency across eras but OP has the relative to era data right there via rTS.)

StrongLurk
09-14-2020, 08:38 PM
Why are so many people ignoring the years the OP chose?

I would take Kawhi's scoring (17-20) over Kobe (08-10).

But I would take peak Kobe's scoring years over current Kawhi.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Taking bad shots has nothing to do with era. It's inherently an era based thing since the observation is made relative to the shots other stars are taking in the same era. Kobe often took a bad shot instead of passing to an open player.

It is interesting we suddenly are hearing about playmaking, defense, passing, ballhandling, and intangibles from people like tpols. I thought every player is defined by scoring? The OP is talking about scoring. He didn't say Kawhi was the better overall player. He said Kawhi was the better scorer and made that claim using efficiency. Suddenly efficiency doesn't matter (I agree you can't compare efficiency across eras but OP has the relative to era data right there via rTS.)

Kawhi is clearly a better overall player then Kobe because the defense/rebounding gap. I tried to make it fair and handcuff Kawhi by just comparing scoring, the only problem is that Kawhi still comes out superior.

As far as TPOLS bogus argument of Kawhi lacking intangibles or leadership. Since Kawhi dusted off old Duncan and became a high volume scorer: 7-0 in playoff series when healthy

If Kawhi beats nuggets tomorrow, that's 8-0. You can't rip on a leader that never loses.

Gohan
09-14-2020, 09:00 PM
Yea you can rip on players when they don’t lose ask Jordan haters

Carbine
09-14-2020, 09:12 PM
This TPOLS is something else.

Goes from saying Kawhi is as good or better than Jordan to not even being a top 5 perimeter player in a span of a couple games.

Why anyone takes this guys opinion seriously is beyond me.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-14-2020, 09:24 PM

Goes from saying Kawhi is as good or better than Jordan to not even being a top 5 perimeter player in a span of a couple games.

He's still triggered that Kawhi baptised his boy toy Luka. Before playoffs, he loved Kawhi.

Roundball_Rock
09-14-2020, 09:39 PM

He doesn't have a single actual belief. In thread after thread he boils players down to their scoring, TS percentage, and offensive rating. That's it. Now, with it being inconvenient because Kawhi leads suddenly we are hearing him talk about all&around play and intangibles.

What you quoted isn't even if his most bixarred take in recent days alone. That would be saying Davis is better than Kareem.

Stanley Kobrick
09-14-2020, 09:46 PM
interesting discussion

Phoenix
09-14-2020, 11:09 PM

Just about every one of his posts references efficiency ( especially ORtg). 'Player X scores 24ppg on a blistering 130 Ortg' is a patented expression, lacing his comments with these lame superlatives, but when Kawhi scores more efficiently than his man crush Kobe he moonwalks away from that and focuses on x factors, things you cant capture on a spreadsheet. This is from a guy who otherwise gives the impression that all of his arguments are rooted in whatever he can pull off google in 2 minutes.

Granted, having watched the totality of both their careers Kobe had more offensive tricks and when he caught fire there were/are few like him. But yes, he did have the penchant for taking alot of ill-advised shots and could shoot you out of a game more than I've seen from Kawhi. Kawhi just seems more consistent in his approach game to game, just plays within himself and seems unfazed by what the other team is doing most of the time. Kobe had a higher scoring ceiling and would go off on crazy scoring streaks which did have a demoralising effect on defenders. Kawhi is like a steak knife, cutting through you with precision, no extraneous movements, very little forced shots. That results in very little variance between his highs and lows. He has a baseline of what you can 'usually' depend on night after night. I mean, Kobe in that 2006-2010 window gave you a certain baseline too, but I don't know.... he was a bit more mercurial for lack of a better term. He was a more emotional player with all the pros and cons of that approach.

Their primes did occur in very different environments and I do think Kobes efficiency would rise today( and Kawhis would dip a bit in the 2000s).

And1AllDay
09-14-2020, 11:23 PM

+1 Kawhi has like two 40 pt playoffs games :oldlol: Kobe has 13 (3rd most all time)

Stanley Kobrick
09-14-2020, 11:25 PM
Just about every one of his posts references efficiency ( especially ORtg). 'Player X scores 24ppg on a blistering 130 Ortg' is a patented expression, lacing his comments with these lame superlatives, but when Kawhi scores more efficiently than his man crush Kobe he moonwalks away from that and focuses on x factors, things you cant capture on a spreadsheet. This is from a guy who otherwise gives the impression that all of his arguments are rooted in whatever he can pull off google in 2 minutes.

Granted, having watched the totality of both their careers Kobe had more offensive tricks and when he caught fire there were/are few like him. But yes, he did have the penchant for taking alot of ill-advised shots and could shoot you out of a game more than I've seen from Kawhi. Kawhi just seems more consistent in his approach game to game, just plays within himself and seems unfazed by what the other team is doing most of the time. Kobe had a higher scoring ceiling and would go off on crazy scoring streaks which did have a demoralising effect on defenders. Kawhi is like a steak knife, cutting through you with precision, no extraneous movements, very little forced shots. That results in very little variance between his highs and lows. He has a baseline of what you can 'usually' depend on night after night. I mean, Kobe in that 2006-2010 window gave you a certain baseline too, but I don't know.... he was a bit more mercurial for lack of a better term. He was a more emotional player with all the pros and cons of that approach.

Their primes did occur in very different environments and I do think Kobes efficiency would rise today( and Kawhis would dip a bit in the 2000s).
i agree with you phoenix. tpols has very low bbiq and irl iq as well. interesting creature he is

Richesly
09-15-2020, 12:15 AM

When will people just stop tryna give Kobe credit.

AintNoSunshine
09-15-2020, 12:23 AM

Kobe lost that series to Nash after leading 3-1 are you retarded?

bobopenguin
09-15-2020, 12:45 AM

u are telling me kobe had 38.6 PPG on .569 TS% while double even triple teamed all the time? damn, so good.

bobopenguin
09-15-2020, 12:50 AM
Kobe lost that series to Nash after leading 3-1 are you retarded?

wasnt steve nash the mvp that year?
and this years mvp got 1:4 knocked out by jimmy, while kawhi couldnt take out a team which barely defeated useless jazz.

CTbasketball92
09-15-2020, 01:17 AM
Peak/Prime Kobe is a player I would've loved to see in this era because I think we might look at him in a more favorable light if analytics were more normalized and he had more spacing.

Watching his highlights, just seeing how creative and tight he was with his handle and how flexible/agile he was dribbling and moving around and the way he used his body to create shots, he reminds me of a bouncier, 6'5" Kyrie Irving with elite defense and a less consistent jumper and better stamina/durability. That's an incredible player and I think people would be freaking out if someone like that were in the league. I've heard Kawhi be described as a Kobe with Tim Duncan's personality fused together, and I get that, but Kobe was a much better passer and just moved way more fluidly and was more explosive, while being weaker and not nearly as strong. I think Kobe could narrow the gap with better shot selection.

That said, it seems like Kawhi might be a better pure shooter than Kobe. He's also a bigger and stronger player who can impose himself physically in a way that Kobe couldn't, despite Kobe being ostensibly more athletic. Kawhi can play with more force with his larger frame/hands. I think that and shot selection and era are the reasons Kawhi peaked as a better scorer.

GimmeThat
09-15-2020, 01:39 AM
because Kobe played more against heavy weight lifters, and Kawhi hadn't. I wouldn't consider it weakening his title, as these heavy weight lifters has seem to be prolonging their career as well.

as for Kobe not being strong

Kobe once stopped a prime Dwight Howard in the paint, going up at full strength for a dunk by committing a foul. And during that play, Dwight never even gotten the ball up.

by the way, during the 08-10 span, Kobe went 21,23,23 games
Kawhi in 17-18 played 12 of 16, went 24 games last season, and is about to the play the 13th game for just the second round.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 02:06 AM
Peak/Prime Kobe is a player I would've loved to see in this era because I think we might look at him in a more favorable light if analytics were more normalized and he had more spacing.

Watching his highlights, just seeing how creative and tight he was with his handle and how flexible/agile he was dribbling and moving around and the way he used his body to create shots, he reminds me of a bouncier, 6'5" Kyrie Irving with elite defense and a less consistent jumper and better stamina/durability. That's an incredible player and I think people would be freaking out if someone like that were in the league. I've heard Kawhi be described as a Kobe with Tim Duncan's personality fused together, and I get that, but Kobe was a much better passer and just moved way more fluidly and was more explosive, while being weaker and not nearly as strong. I think Kobe could narrow the gap with better shot selection.

That said, it seems like Kawhi might be a better pure shooter than Kobe. He's also a bigger and stronger player who can impose himself physically in a way that Kobe couldn't, despite Kobe being ostensibly more athletic. Kawhi can play with more force with his larger frame/hands. I think that and shot selection and era are the reasons Kawhi peaked as a better scorer.

Kawhi has a significantly better shot selection then Kobe, also leads higher rated offenses. When your superstar never takes bad shots, its the ultimate way to keep offensive flow/pace for the team. Kobe's bad shots can disrupt a teams offense much more. Kawhi just seems to have a higher IQ and is more patient. Can't really even buy into Kobe being a better passer because Kawhi is a 5-6 assist guy these days and Kobe at times was an unwilling passer.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 02:11 AM
because Kobe played more against heavy weight lifters, and Kawhi hadn't. I wouldn't consider it weakening his title, as these heavy weight lifters has seem to be prolonging their career as well.

as for Kobe not being strong

Kobe once stopped a prime Dwight Howard in the paint, going up at full strength for a dunk by committing a foul. And during that play, Dwight never even gotten the ball up.

by the way, during the 08-10 span, Kobe went 21,23,23 games
Kawhi in 17-18 played 12 of 16, went 24 games last season, and is about to the play the 13th game for just the second round.

Kawhi had to face tougher competition. Dwight Howard magic was a bottom 3 worse finals team ever. 2010 Celtics were on their last legs.

GimmeThat
09-15-2020, 02:26 AM
Kawhi had to face tougher competition. Dwight Howard magic was a bottom 3 worse finals team ever. 2010 Celtics were on their last legs.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?483185-Kawhi-leaving-the-Raptors-was-the-worst-FA-decision-by-a-superstar-ever

Gray GOAT
09-15-2020, 02:32 AM
Career points:

Kawhi ''best in the world'' Leonard (29 years old): 9793
Andrew ''bust'' Wiggins (25 years old): 8943

GimmeThat
09-15-2020, 02:34 AM
Kawhi has a significantly better shot selection then Kobe, also leads higher rated offenses. When your superstar never takes bad shots, its the ultimate way to keep offensive flow/pace for the team. Kobe's bad shots can disrupt a teams offense much more. Kawhi just seems to have a higher IQ and is more patient. Can't really even buy into Kobe being a better passer because Kawhi is a 5-6 assist guy these days and Kobe at times was an unwilling passer.

somehow Kobe scored a higher % team points than Kawhi

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 02:41 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?483185-Kawhi-leaving-the-Raptors-was-the-worst-FA-decision-by-a-superstar-ever

Leaving trashcal was not the worst decision lol

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 02:43 AM
somehow Kobe scored a higher % team points than Kawhi

Per 100 is estimating their points. We have no reason to believe kawhi would drop off with an added 20 games. Kawhi has superior efficiency and that equals superior player, sorry buddy better look next time.

GimmeThat
09-15-2020, 03:05 AM
Per 100 is estimating their points. We have no reason to believe kawhi would drop off with an added 20 games. Kawhi has superior efficiency and that equals superior player, sorry buddy better look next time.

so what do you call the guy with better efficiency yet consistently lost in the finals aka Wilt, as the Clippers are now scoring 41.5/86.1 FG/FGA on 22 assists while the Lakers did 36.8/78.6 on 20.8

another stats manufactured assuming only straight players should play in the professional league I see

Roundball_Rock
09-15-2020, 10:50 AM

Yup. Look at the marathon Miller threads in recent months. He didn't mention playmaking, rebounding, defense, ballhandling, etc. a single time in any of those threads when Miller was getting compared to other contemporaries. Just his oRTG, TS %, and cherry picking his playoff scoring numbers. Of course we know why. :lol

i agree with you phoenix. tpols has very low bbiq and irl iq as well. interesting creature he is

He is one of a handful of posters who rely on 3ball to tell them what to "think" and say. If his ban is permanent, it will be interesting to see guys like tpols and IMKobe try to swim on their own.

goozeman
09-15-2020, 03:01 PM
It is a lot easier to score today, especially from three and the rim (league today is shooting +6fg% at the rim compared to Kobe's MVP year). Look at the splits. Kawi finishes at over 72% at the rim in the playoffs compared to Kobe who only shot 60%. Almost none of Kawi's 2P shots are even assisted the last three seasons. He's just taking it straight to the basket. Might as well roll out the proverbial red carpet.

Another factor is teams do a better job of getting their scorers easier shots, especially from three. Kobe was a flow guy and he did take a lot of difficult 3-point shots. 3-point shot was a heat-check back in the day and Kobe did a lot of heat checking. Kobe took a lot of difficult shots, but that's a good thing for a primary option, not a bad thing. Ya'll just confused about basketball again cause you don't understand that there isn't always an easy shot to be had. The best scorers can create in those situations. Now teams scheme for the best three and put their shooters in better position to make them so there is a lot less emphasis on creating offense at the individual level. Case in point is that Kawi has taken a huge percentage of his threes from the corners, which statically the most efficient shot in the game. This is 100 percent coaching, not the player. Kobe almost never shot corner threes and that's coaching too. This is the first year in Kawi's career he's not attempting double-digit percentage of his 3's from the corner and his overall 3P% this playoffs is way down because of it. It's crazy to me that Doc Rivers isn't getting Kawi more of these shots considering that that for his career he's shooting like 60 percent for his career on corner 3's in the playoffs.

999Guy
09-15-2020, 03:10 PM
Much better athlete.

Kawhi’s first step from triple threat and body control is really nice also.

Kawhi is just as freaky as Durant athletically.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 03:32 PM
Much better athlete.

You think Kawhi is a much better athlete then Kobe? Most people would disagree with that because they think flashy dunks are only signs of athleticism. Kawhi's physical strength does destroy Kobe. I agree Kawhi has underrated body control.

light
09-15-2020, 04:06 PM
Much better athlete.

But he doesn't put up legendary games. He hasnt really wowed us at the game level more than once.

Maybe he will tonight.

Roundball_Rock
09-15-2020, 04:13 PM
It is a lot easier to score today

:lol at this hypocrite.

Kobe's last elite season was 2013, Kawhi's first elite season was 2016. People are acting like this is Kawhi compared to Jerry West. Scoring was tough early in the 00's but the handchecking change came in time for 05' so he had more elite years after that (05'-13') than before (00'-04').

ImKobe
09-15-2020, 04:18 PM
Kawhi's never been a better scorer than Kobe. He simply benefits from playing in an era where teams rarely guard the mid-range shot. He's one of the few superstars who's actually taken full advantage of it.

:lol at this hypocrite.

Kobe's last elite season was 2013, Kawhi's first elite season was 2016. People are acting like this is Kawhi compared to Jerry West. Scoring was tough early in the 00's but the handchecking change came in time for 05' so he had more elite years after that (05'-13') than before (00'-04').

Kobe's & Kawhi's primes are almost a decade apart. Teams now give up wide open mid-range shots to take away layups/3s, so Kawhi feasts on those shots. Compare that to what they used to throw at Kobe to take away the long 2.

ArbitraryWater
09-15-2020, 04:40 PM

Leonard is consistently dropping 30+ pts on 50+% shooting these playoffs.

Kobe never scored at the efficiency Leonard has.

I don‘t see how his regular season scoring outbursts give him the nod.

Whats the argument for Kobe?

I prefer his versatile/diverse skillset from an aesthetic and highlight POV, but strictly being honest, it‘d be hard to say Kobe was the better scorer.

And while he doesnt have LeBron‘s range of legendary games (not even close), he does have way more memorable playoff showings and nights than KL.

tpols
09-15-2020, 04:52 PM
Rockhead at it again. :lol

In 2013, the Lakers took the 3rd most 3's in the whole NBA at 24 per game. The Clippers in today's NBA are not a heavy 3 pt shooting team... 16th rank in the league. And yet? They're taking 33 attempts per game. Kobe's last championship team made only 6 3's per game. The Clippers make double that. There has been a CLEAR spacing paradigm shift in the last few years that make even the 2000's look like a non 3 pt shooting era. And yes, the ability to spread a court extremely thin with 4 corners spacing give star players a much easier time scoring. It's an effect even more powerful than the lack of physicality rules. From a team perspective it is extremely optimal and smart strategy, but that fact doesn't do anything to diminish the point that stars have it easier to score now because of much improved spacing.

ImKobe
09-15-2020, 05:10 PM
Rockhead at it again. :lol

In 2013, the Lakers took the 3rd most 3's in the whole NBA at 24 per game. The Clippers in today's NBA are not a heavy 3 pt shooting team... 16th rank in the league. And yet? They're taking 33 attempts per game. Kobe's last championship team made only 6 3's per game. The Clippers make double that. There has been a CLEAR spacing paradigm shift in the last few years that make even the 2000's look like a non 3 pt shooting era. And yes, the ability to spread a court extremely thin with 4 corners spacing give star players a much easier time scoring. It's an effect even more powerful than the lack of physicality rules. From a team perspective it is extremely optimal and smart strategy, but that fact doesn't do anything to diminish the point that stars have it easier to score now because of much improved spacing.

Kobe at 34 - 27.3 ppg on 57%TS (78 games), 8 games of 40+
Kawhi in 2020 - 27.1 ppg on 58.9%TS (57 games), 2 games of 40+

Kobe at 34 had more 40+pt RS games (8) than Kawhi does for his entire RS career (5).

Roundball_Rock
09-15-2020, 05:29 PM
And yes, the ability to spread a court extremely thin with 4 corners spacing give star players a much easier time scoring. It's an effect even more powerful than the lack of physicality rules. From a team perspective it is extremely optimal and smart strategy, but that fact doesn't do anything to diminish the point that stars have it easier to score now because of much improved spacing.

The blatant hypocrisy. :lol Not a single actual belief. Not one.

Admit your own logic in a zillion other threads cuts against Kobe and move on. You are becoming a punch line for your shocking inconsistency based on your agenda at a given moment.

ArbitraryWater
09-15-2020, 05:29 PM
Kobe at 34 - 27.3 ppg on 57%TS (78 games), 8 games of 40+
Kawhi in 2020 - 27.1 ppg on 58.9%TS (57 games), 2 games of 40+

Kobe at 34 had more 40+pt RS games (8) than Kawhi does for his entire RS career (5).

And? Who cares?

What do you get from those RS outbursts?

NBAGOAT
09-15-2020, 05:39 PM
bad faith argument by op as always but these arguments about era are mostly answered by using rts%.

ImKobe
09-15-2020, 05:49 PM
And? Who cares?

Kobe peaked at a much higher volume and did it consistently while playing full seasons. 34 y.o Kobe averaged more than Kawhi's peak. Kawhi's supposed to be more efficient statistically in this era, especially with the load managing. Imagine resting Kobe for 20 games a season & only playing him 32-34 mpg at his peak.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 05:50 PM
And? Who cares?

82 game seasons tells you more about a player's skill than whether they got hot for a couple playoff series, which is very situational. Most great scorers are judged so based on the fact that they put up great regular season numbers.

Or are we going to act like Tmac, Dantley and Dominique were not great scorers? That Harden isn't?

Roundball_Rock
09-15-2020, 05:52 PM
bad faith argument by op as always but these arguments about era are mostly answered by using rts%.

OP has rTS%, he just did it for a small part of Kobe's prime. If you look at them year by year in adjusted TS% or adjusted EFG%, it is obvious Kawhi is consistently higher. Kobe was below league average for his prime (99) in adjusted eFG%. Kawhi is at 105 if you average his averages for 16', 17', 19', and 20'.

People are attached to Kobe but it is obvious why his efficiency numbers lag his skill level: he simply took too many bad shots.

light
09-15-2020, 05:59 PM
Ask Kobe to score 60 and he will score 60.

Ask Kawhi to score 60 and he will score 40.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 06:07 PM
OP has rTS%, he just did it for a small part of Kobe's prime. If you look at them year by year in adjusted TS% or adjusted EFG%, it is obvious Kawhi is consistently higher. Kobe was below league average for his prime (99) in adjusted eFG%. Kawhi is at 105 if you average his averages for 16', 17', 19', and 20'.

People are attached to Kobe but it is obvious why his efficiency numbers lag his skill level: he simply took too many bad shots.

You miss all the bad shots you don't take. ~ Westbrook

goozeman
09-15-2020, 06:09 PM
And? Who cares?

Results are all that matter. At the end of the day, rTS% is just a random number on a spreadsheet, and in truth not even a real basketball stat. Kobe sacrificed some efficiency and took more risks as a scorer, but he got results. It's no different from a batter in baseball choosing to guess on some pitches every now and again and getting a higher than average strikeout number, but at the same time driving in more runs. There is no absolute effective efficiency. Kobe was the more explosive scorer over Kawi by a huge margin and he did his damage in a much tougher defensive era.

https://peerdclothing.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/kobe-rings.jpg

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. rjXhaWL580HnaJbzlUW-cwHaEc%26pid%3DApi&f=1

https://netstorage-kami.akamaized.net/images/0fgjhs4v0e97psfj1.jpg

https://thebasketballsociety.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/5-rings.jpg

https://justynpolk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kobe_trophies_web.jpg

ImKobe
09-15-2020, 06:14 PM

Kawhi 2020 eFG% - 52.4, league average 52.9, 27.1 ppg
Kobe 2013 eFG% - 50.4, league average 49.6, 27.3 ppg

hmm, Kawhi is in his prime with his highest RS ppg to date, and was below league average. Interesting.

"Kobe was below league average for his prime"

Kobe 2001 eFG% - 48.4, league average 47.3, 28.5 ppg
Kobe 2002 eFG% - 47.9, league average 47.7, 25.2 ppg
Kobe 2003 eFG% - 48.3, league average 47.4, 30.0 ppg
Kobe 2006 eFG% - 49.1, league average 49.0, 35.4 ppg
Kobe 2007 eFG% - 50.2, league average 49.6, 31.6 ppg
Kobe 2008 eFG% - 50.3, league average 49.7, 28.3 ppg
Kobe 2009 eFG% - 50.2, league average 50.0, 26.8 ppg

Also, note that Roundball is using Kobe's career for the 99 adjusted eFG%, Kawhi this season had a 99 adjusted eFG%. Kobe was at 102 in 2013 and was at or above 100 during his peak scoring years.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 06:22 PM
Ask Kobe to score 60 and he will score 60.

Ask Kawhi to score 60 and he will score 40.

Ask Kawhi to be efficient and he will have 60% TS
Ask Kobe to be efficient and he will have 50% TS

Besides, 08-2010 Kobe wasn't really having 50 point playoff games. So I don't know where you got that idea.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 06:30 PM

And it's not fair that you knock Kawhi down so much for a weaker era when Kobe was the one hiding behind the triangle offense. Nick Nurse ran a terrible offense in 2nd round 2020 playoffs I think raptors had like a 99 offensive rating? Hahaha

The triangle offense is the most successful offense of all time. Kawhi never had that luxury and if he did? His stats would improve and still put up 2020 numbers in the early 2000s. Kawhi is in a weaker defensive era supposedly but he's in much worse offensive systems, so it cancels itself out.

goozeman
09-15-2020, 06:35 PM

Besides, 08-2010 Kobe wasn't really having 50 point playoff games. So I don't know where you got that idea.

Wrong. Kobe could just take fewer shots and be less aggressive and he could easily shoot those kind of TS% numbers no problem, especially the way defense is played today where you can't even touch perimeters players. Who cares? It's about winning.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Wrong. Kobe could just take fewer shots and be less aggressive and he could easily shoot those kind of TS% numbers no problem, especially the way defense is played today where you can't even touch perimeters players. Who cares? It's about winning.

It is about winning and if you have 2017-present Kawhi on your team, you will win more then with Kobe. That's my point. Kobe lacked the shot selection as Kawhi to be as efficient. Also if Kawhi was born earlier and Phil Jackson would coach him? Kawhi's numbers would sky rocket and they would run the triangle through posting Kawhi.

goozeman
09-15-2020, 06:48 PM
It is about winning and if you have 2017-present Kawhi on your team, you will win more then with Kobe. That's my point. Kobe lacked the shot selection as Kawhi to be as efficient. Also if Kawhi was born earlier and Phil Jackson would coach him? Kawhi's numbers would sky rocket and they would run the triangle through posting Kawhi.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.vox-cdn.com%2Fimported_assets%2F2285382%2Fwell-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man-gif-the-dude-lebowski.gif&f=1&nofb=1

LAmbruh
09-15-2020, 06:50 PM
Kawhi vs Kobe h2h

8-0

yikes

999Guy
09-15-2020, 06:55 PM

Which is another way of saying, he didn’t have the ability to create great ones.

Kobe was not a dummy, had no shortage of skills, and yet a significant part of his game was being forced into bad shots. He just had the ability to make a relatively large amount of them.

If you watch Kawhi, this guy has so much separation between anyone in front of him by the time he is rising up for a pull-up, or finishing at the rim.

The guy is 6’8 230 and has the athleticism to guard guards WELL.

Do you think Kobe is ever winning a DPOY, and I mean rightfully winning in the middle of a loaded era like the 2010’s? You would have to add physical attributes to Kobe to even make that realistic. And by the time you’re done, you’d be looking at a Kawhi clone.

But I really don’t understand how anyone can watch them and not see why Kawhi is so efficient. The release point, the brakes, the unreal strength, the insane balance.

He’s really a PF with guard skill which again, sounds more like Durant than a traditional wing.

light
09-15-2020, 07:34 PM

60 points >>>>>> 60% TS

Seriously, that's not even close. Scrubs have a 60% TS. That's Greg Oden's career average. Scrubs don't score 60 points six times. Kawhi is not capable of scoring like that. He is literally incapable of physically making the ball go through the hoop enough times in a game to do that.

And1AllDay
09-15-2020, 09:44 PM
Kawhi has two 40 pt games to Kobes 13

sit down

https://i.postimg.cc/P5jGBnmm/kobe-rules.png

And1AllDay
09-15-2020, 09:46 PM
60 points >>>>>> 60% TS

Seriously, that's not even close. Scrubs have a 60% TS. That's Greg Oden's career average. Scrubs don't score 60 points six times. Kawhi is not capable of scoring like that. He is literally incapable of physically making the ball go through the hoop enough times in a game to do that.

issa wrap

And1AllDay
09-15-2020, 09:47 PM
like yooo aint kobe 4th all time in playoff points but kawhi is like 40 :oldlol::oldlol:

ImKobe
09-15-2020, 11:37 PM

:kobe: :kobe: :kobe:

6/22 14 points in a Game 7, 0 pts 0/5 FG in the 4th

Kobe would NEVER

Better scorer my ass.

Spurs m8
09-15-2020, 11:39 PM
Kawhi chucking up Kobe-esque bricks out there today

I'm sure Kobe was looking down with a tear in his eye

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2020, 11:41 PM
:kobe: :kobe: :kobe:

6/22 14 points in a Game 7, 0 pts 0/5 FG in the 4th

Kobe would NEVER

Better scorer my ass.
Even in the Game 7 Kobe was ass he at least crashed the boards and got to the FT line. Kawhi didn't even attempt a single FT tonight

SATAN
09-15-2020, 11:42 PM

Game 7. 14 points on 6-22 shooting :roll:

tpols
uh oh... :oldlol:

Time to eat some crow fellas.

Shogon
https://media4.giphy.com/media/KxcDD4s0RDVcbcomuP/giphy.gif

Pipes2.0
09-15-2020, 11:43 PM
OP I hope you never post with your account again. Eat shit! :lol

brownmamba00
09-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Lmao leonard can't touch kobe's feet

Dude plays like a robot no swag no speed no twitch

BigtimeNBAFan
09-15-2020, 11:44 PM
Even in the Game 7 Kobe was ass he at least crashed the boards and got to the FT line. Kawhi didn't even attempt a single FT tonight

Yeah Kobe was 6-24 in the Finals against Boston, but was super aggressive getting to the line and getting the boards. He had more boards than anyone that game other than Pau Gasol. He outrebounded KG in a Finals game 7. Respect to the Mamba.

kentatm
https://media.tenor.com/images/6b1bb0fb4c730bc1304e264c2f6998b2/tenor.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HighlevelAnotherJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

fourkicks44
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SandyBoringCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

Proctor
09-15-2020, 11:45 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SandyBoringCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

:lol

fourkicks44
09-15-2020, 11:46 PM
:lol

This is OP's curtain call :lol

Horatio33
09-15-2020, 11:47 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/KxcDD4s0RDVcbcomuP/giphy.gif

Hahahahaha!

Lebron23
09-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Kobe in the 2001 and 2002 nba finals is better than kawhi's two finals mvp. Kobe won an mvp and his two finals mvp were better than kawhi's two finals mvp.

CountDracula
09-16-2020, 07:50 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/h2f0ybGtL0A9rYjlD8/200w.gif

Penetrator
09-16-2020, 08:41 AM
comparing kawhit to the great kobe? rest in piss op

Phoenix
09-16-2020, 09:15 AM

he's a bitch for the load management stuff, but peak play kawhi will own bran. (playoffs)

his timely scoring and shotmaking are on a totally different level that has bran shook.

So are these superlatives about his scoring generally true, or just true when it suits?

And1AllDay
09-16-2020, 09:33 AM
So are these superlatives about his scoring generally true, or just true when it suits?

get. His. Ass. :oldlol:

BigtimeNBAFan
09-16-2020, 09:37 AM

Yeah this thread is even more stupid than the retarded idiocy you post about.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Kobe in the 2001 and 2002 nba finals is better than kawhi's two finals mvp. Kobe won an mvp and his two finals mvp were better than kawhi's two finals mvp.

No question. Kawhi is a quitter and hopefully this ends any talk of kawhi being considered among the all time greats.

Gohan
09-16-2020, 11:43 AM
No question. Kawhi is a quitter and hopefully this ends any talk of kawhi being considered among the all time greats.

Thank god his fans let him get away with not even trying in the regular season. That’s not fair to the other all time greats

ArbitraryWater
09-16-2020, 04:27 PM
82 game seasons tells you more about a player's skill than whether they got hot for a couple playoff series, which is very situational. Most great scorers are judged so based on the fact that they put up great regular season numbers.

Or are we going to act like Tmac, Dantley and Dominique were not great scorers? That Harden isn't?

What?

The sample sizes and prestige of play has none of the discussed players on ‚hot streaks‘.

Lol.

Its merely a matter of taking playoffs over regular season, and Kobe was mostly a regular season warrior what his best scoring feats regard.

Kawhi never bothered that way, besides the fact that he isnt the same type of explosive scorer.

rawimpact
09-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Say what you want about kobe, but NEVER did he have rest days.

StrongLurk
09-16-2020, 04:54 PM
Kobe and Kawhi both blew a 3-1 lead.

However, Kobe was a 7 seed going up against a 2 seed, while the Clippers were the favorites to win the chip.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 05:01 PM
Kobe and Kawhi both blew a 3-1 lead.

However, Kobe was a 7 seed going up against a 2 seed, while the Clippers were the favorites to win the chip.

Kobe still had a way better coach and wasn't in the bubble environment, so the odds of a 3-1 collapse was way more likely for Clippers.

Phoenix
09-16-2020, 05:05 PM
..... in the bubble environment, so the odds of a 3-1 collapse was way more likely for Clippers.

No it wasn't.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 05:10 PM
No it wasn't.

Depressed players living in the prison bubble + no fans to help in closeout games = more likely to lose a 3-1 lead

Kawhi still had 1.5 VORP this year and that matches Kobe's entire 2001 playoff run, which most people say is Kobe's peak. That tells you right there that Kawhi was carrying his load and then some, just playing with the 4 stooges Doc/George/Lou/Harrell.

Phoenix
09-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Depressed players living in the prison bubble + no fans to help in closeout games = more likely to lose a 3-1 lead

Kawhi still had 1.5 VORP this year and that matches Kobe's entire 2001 playoff run, which most people say is Kobe's peak. That tells you right there that Kawhi was carrying his load and then some, just playing with the 4 stooges Doc/George/Lou/Harrell.

:sleeping The same depressed players managed to get to 3-1 lead and choked in a low pressure bubble. Kawhi played like shit after load managing all year. No excuses.

Mods can permanently ban my account if clippers lose game 7. Its not happening.

Any minute now. The entire board is f.ucking with you, abort the mission and come back next year.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 05:25 PM
:sleeping The same depressed players managed to get to 3-1 lead and choked in a low pressure bubble. Kawhi played like shit after load managing all year. No excuses.

Any minute now. The entire board is f.ucking with you, abort the mission and come back next year.

Kawhi got them that 3-1 lead. He tried to win it in game 5 by scoring 36 and his low IQ teammates failed him.

Its the same situation as Kevin Durant on thunder. Kawhi is the rich man's version of Durant.

RRR3
09-16-2020, 05:28 PM
Kawhi got them that 3-1 lead. He tried to win it in game 5 by scoring 36 and his low IQ teammates failed him.

Its the same situation as Kevin Durant on thunder. Kawhi is the rich man's version of Durant.
Even Durant wasn’t as bad as Kawhi was in game 7 :lol

red1
09-16-2020, 05:30 PM
disgusting thread from a known ****** in OP.

mods?

Phoenix
09-16-2020, 05:36 PM

Paul George scored 33 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals, Clips still lose in game 6. Then they all choke in game 7, led by Kawhi. If he takes the credit for the wins, then he takes the blame for the loss. Massive choke job. Where does it hurt?

Also when you are leaving?

SouBeachTalents
09-16-2020, 05:45 PM
The only Game 7 I can think of that compares to Kawhi is Curry's Game 7 in 2016, talking strictly superstar players. Even Kobe's 6/24 was better

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 06:03 PM

But kawhi's playoffs as a whole was better. Don't cherry pick now.

tpols
09-16-2020, 06:16 PM
There's an intangible effect to buckets gotten. When you yam on somebody, or destroy a double... it discourages the defense. And rallies the squad. Momentum. Kawhi sleepwalk kills you, but it's rare I see a sequence from him where it's like he buried the opposition, forced timeouts and swayed the crowd. He wasn't as intangibly dangerous as Kobe. And obviously didn't have his teaching abilities behind the scenes... motivating impact on teammates. The man barely talks or shows any emotion at all. It's hard to be a leader without that. He's been constantly team hopping from stacked squad to stacked squad... skirting all leadership process. That matters.

Yup... called it before the big showdown.

HBK you have to admit that Kawhi aint a leader. He's a team hopper. At basketball for a perimeter player he does have a GOAT package of skill, IQ, and athleticism but he doesn't have the MENTAL aspect of the game mastered. The ability to motivate teammates on and off the court, the competitive emotion to rally troops in tense moments, or the ability to just stick around with any one team and build a culture. Ala a good example being the Warriors who had GOAT organic culture blossom under the great Chef Dingo and led to dynastic results and intimidation. Kobe produced a similar culture of accountability and success with his B2B champion Lakers, and the ability for your best player to provide that has a HUGE impact on the eventual outcome of the season (s).

AlternativeAcc.
09-16-2020, 06:18 PM

Durant was on a 55 win team facing a 73 win team, so the comparison doesn't make sense to begin with

Durant played poorly because of fatigue, and was on the road against the best defense in the league, and had shit role players

Literally 2 totally different/uncomparable circumstances, and I'm pretty sure he averaged like 30/7/5 or something for that series. But thats a 'choke' somehow lol

RRR3
09-16-2020, 06:19 PM
Regardless of who’s the better scorer, does anyone really think prime Kobe loses to these Nuggets in the same situation as Kawhi? It’s certainly possible but I don’t think he would. Kobe would have given them an actual playmaker on offense.

ImKobe
09-16-2020, 06:41 PM
Regardless of who’s the better scorer, does anyone really think prime Kobe loses to these Nuggets in the same situation as Kawhi? It’s certainly possible but I don’t think he would. Kobe would have given them an actual playmaker on offense.

Doubt prime Kobe would have looked this gassed in the 2nd round of the Playoffs. Imagine you gave him 4-5 months off right before the run, you know he'd come in at peak condition.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 06:53 PM
Durant was on a 55 win team facing a 73 win team, so the comparison doesn't make sense to begin with

Durant played poorly because of fatigue, and was on the road against the best defense in the league, and had shit role players

Literally 2 totally different/uncomparable circumstances, and I'm pretty sure he averaged like 30/7/5 or something for that series. But thats a 'choke' somehow lol

Kawhi in 2020 vs nuggets: 20.8 GmSc on 55% TS

Durant in 2016 vs Warriors: 20.1 GmSc on 54% TS

Nuggets have the best big man in the league Jokic who dominated the 2x defensive player of the year Gobert, Murray who has peaked higher in playoffs then Klay Thompson ever did.

Durant also didn't even lead thunder in GmSc. Westbrook had a 23 GmSc to Paul George's 15 GmSc.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Yup... called it before the big showdown.

HBK you have to admit that Kawhi aint a leader. He's a team hopper. At basketball for a perimeter player he does have a GOAT package of skill, IQ, and athleticism but he doesn't have the MENTAL aspect of the game mastered. The ability to motivate teammates on and off the court, the competitive emotion to rally troops in tense moments, or the ability to just stick around with any one team and build a culture. Ala a good example being the Warriors who had GOAT organic culture blossom under the great Chef Dingo and led to dynastic results and intimidation. Kobe produced a similar culture of accountability and success with his B2B champion Lakers, and the ability for your best player to provide that has a HUGE impact on the eventual outcome of the season (s).

Raptors had a choke in 2nd round culture or get swept in 2nd round culture. Kawhi was the damn culture.

RRR3
09-16-2020, 07:02 PM
Doubt prime Kobe would have looked this gassed in the 2nd round of the Playoffs. Imagine you gave him 4-5 months off right before the run, you know he'd come in at peak condition.
Yeah also Kobe would give them a leader. People have said the Clippers lacked a leader so having Kobe instead of Kawhi could well have had a big effect intangibly. While it’s certainly possible other superstars would lose in the same situation, Kawhi absolutely shouldn’t have lost and he deserves blame for completely embarrassing himself yesterday.

SouBeachTalents
09-16-2020, 07:09 PM
Kawhi in 2020 vs nuggets: 20.8 GmSc on 55% TS

Durant in 2016 vs Warriors: 20.1 GmSc on 54% TS

Nuggets have the best big man in the league Jokic who dominated the 2x defensive player of the year Gobert, Murray who has peaked higher in playoffs then Klay Thompson ever did.

Durant also didn't even lead thunder in GmSc. Westbrook had a 23 GmSc to Paul George's 15 GmSc.
2016 Warriors >>> 2020 Nuggets

Carbine
09-16-2020, 07:10 PM
I'm just checking, didn't Kobe "quit" or try to make an immature statement in game 7 of a series he was up 3-1 in?

He shot just 3 times for 1 point after half time after scoring 23 in the first half.

Is that the leader the Clippers are missing?

HBK_Kliq_2
09-16-2020, 07:11 PM
2016 Warriors >>> 2020 Nuggets

If nuggets beat lakers, they are better the warriors. Playoffs can be all about matchups anyway. They are still similar situations.

Jokic/Murray is the 2020s version of Shaq/Penny.

Axe
09-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Raptors had a choke in 2nd round culture or get swept in 2nd round culture. Kawhi was the damn culture.
The raptors at least have made one ecf trip without kawhi while the clippers' curse continues to go on as usual.

And1AllDay
09-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Kawhi has two 40 pt games to Kobes 13

sit down

https://i.postimg.cc/P5jGBnmm/kobe-rules.png

op?

dreamwarrior
09-16-2020, 09:27 PM
They're both kinda slow but Kawhi's far stronger. Kobe relied on moves and footwork. Kawhi is almost as good but can also bully defenders which Kobe couldn't do. Kobe's a better team motivator though. I didn't see Kawhi talking to anyone last night. It's ok to be introverted but this was do or die, you have to get your teammates going like Lebron tries to do

Basketball r Us
09-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Kawhi still got a long way to go before putting his name on the same sentence with Kobe.

And1AllDay
09-16-2020, 10:56 PM

fugg no

kobe would these nugget bois away in 5

kobe would drop 40 on their necks and end the series

ThatCoolKid
09-16-2020, 11:16 PM
Kobe's blown it plenty of times in the playoffs. You people have the memories of flies. Kawhi had a horrible game. He otherwise played very well in these playoffs and is not the reason the Clippers lost this series. I prefer Kawhi going down shooting to someone like Harden who played like a little bitch in G7 in the first round.

I know now it's hip to hate on the Clippers and Kawhi, but Kawhi is still one of the best players in the NBA one game sample size notwithstanding. And the Clippers gambling on a trade to land Kawhi and PG only looks bad in retrospect - all these media goons thought they were going to win the championship and now are flipping total 180.

Kawhi made this franchise relevant again. The most exciting thing to happen in the Clippers history.

I think that Doc has shown that he is incapable of making good adjustments in the playoffs for this team. Harrel was straight garbage the entire playoffs and somehow he was on the court more than Zubac. And somehow the Clippers looked lacksidasical even in the playoffs and had players asking to come out of the game for conditioning reasons. Maybe this loss lights the fire that they clearly lacked this season. Doc remaining the coach is limiting for them though imo.

sbw19
09-17-2020, 04:01 AM
Kobe's blown it plenty of times in the playoffs.Not like this. When you have the better team and you lose three straight after blowing large leads every single time, then you are part of the problem and you get no exemptions. This is 2011 LeBron territory in terms of optics. You can't be the best player on that team and no be culpable to a large degree.

He'll get plenty of chances to redeem himself, but for now he has to eat crow and shoulder the blame.

GimmeThat
09-17-2020, 04:11 AM
Kobe's blown it plenty of times in the playoffs. You people have the memories of flies. Kawhi had a horrible game. He otherwise played very well in these playoffs and is not the reason the Clippers lost this series. I prefer Kawhi going down shooting to someone like Harden who played like a little bitch in G7 in the first round.

I know now it's hip to hate on the Clippers and Kawhi, but Kawhi is still one of the best players in the NBA one game sample size notwithstanding. And the Clippers gambling on a trade to land Kawhi and PG only looks bad in retrospect - all these media goons thought they were going to win the championship and now are flipping total 180.

Kawhi made this franchise relevant again. The most exciting thing to happen in the Clippers history.

I think that Doc has shown that he is incapable of making good adjustments in the playoffs for this team. Harrel was straight garbage the entire playoffs and somehow he was on the court more than Zubac. And somehow the Clippers looked lacksidasical even in the playoffs and had players asking to come out of the game for conditioning reasons. Maybe this loss lights the fire that they clearly lacked this season. Doc remaining the coach is limiting for them though imo.

the media may have over blown some players abilities, and sure, the coach could have spent more time out of what he had originally agreed with the ownership to get the job done. however, even if he were to do so, the adverse affect would still play on to players, maybe not the media darlings, but even just the 8th man off the bench.

the lack of confident and faith being displayed on this board reflects the ownerships view on Doc's ability to get in the driver seat of the team he is coaching

Doranku
09-17-2020, 07:40 AM
They're both kinda slow but Kawhi's far stronger. Kobe relied on moves and footwork. Kawhi is almost as good but can also bully defenders which Kobe couldn't do. Kobe's a better team motivator though. I didn't see Kawhi talking to anyone last night. It's ok to be introverted but this was do or die, you have to get your teammates going like Lebron tries to do

LMAO did you just call Kobe "kinda slow"? Go watch threepeat Kobe and tell me he was slow. :oldlol:

You could put about 10 different versions of Kobe on this Clippers team and all 10 of them would beat this Nuggets team.

ImKobe
09-17-2020, 09:36 AM

Kawhi's not the reason the Clippers lost? Him wearing down in these 2nd halves is why the Nuggets were able to pull off the comeback, it wasn't just Game 7, but some of the stuff he did in Games 5 and 6 as well.

https://i.gyazo.com/1a029a73d0fc27d01f5590254138c150.jpg

LMAO did you just call Kobe "kinda slow"? Go watch threepeat Kobe and tell me he was slow. :oldlol:

You could put about 10 different versions of Kobe on this Clippers team and all 10 of them would beat this Nuggets team.

Kobe definitely wasn't "kinda slow", he moved a lot faster with the ball and was also much better at getting open off-ball, whether it was catch & shoot 3s or cutting to the basket.

TheCorporation
09-17-2020, 09:38 AM
fugg no

kobe would these nugget bois away in 5

kobe would drop 40 on their necks and end the series

Kobe would do it on 38% and take good shots away from teammates.

They are both hard to assess due to streaky scoring.

ImKobe
09-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Kobe would do it on 38% and take good shots away from teammates.

They are both hard to assess due to streaky scoring.

Kobe was the playmaker on 5 title teams. Please stop it. Nuggets aren't even good defensively, they were below-average in the RS. Utah had a 123.3 ORTG against them in the Playoffs. Kawhi flat out choked against a team that was on 2010 Suns' level defensively & Kawhi couldn't take advantage of it.

RRR3
09-17-2020, 09:59 AM

Sure he had some bad series but he would have provided the Clippers with two things they’re lacking: playmaking and leadership. Probably makes a difference IMO. I’m not even saying peak Kobe>2020 Kawhi (Kawhi from 16-20 is really high up there all time tbh) but I think Kobe wins this series for the previously stated reasons.

AirBonner
10-13-2021, 11:22 PM
Kawhi has big hands and doesn’t try to shoot over 5 defenders (low iq)

HBK_Kliq_2
10-13-2021, 11:49 PM
Kawhi has big hands and doesn’t try to shoot over 5 defenders (low iq)

Yes, much more efficient and much stronger physically too.

Also didn't suck on Phil Jackson's tits his whole life and hide behind the godly triangle offense. Nick nurse is just a random moron who gave the ball to kawhi.

AirBonner
10-14-2021, 12:01 AM
Yes, much more efficient and much stronger physically too.

Also didn't suck on Phil Jackson's tits his whole life and hide behind the godly triangle offense. Nick nurse is just a random moron who gave the ball to kawhi.
Spot on. Kobe needed Shaq/Pau/Phil

Kawhi needed: the ball

HBK_Kliq_2
10-14-2021, 12:27 AM

exactly and he doesn't force his dick inside woman and afterwards pretend to be some well spoken, class act, genius like that snake kobe did.

Kobe_Bryant
10-14-2021, 12:37 AM

Siakam 2019 finals = 20ppg on 51%

Gasol 2010 finals = 18ppg on 48%

https://c.tenor.com/JEj4FA-lXdEAAAAC/confused-jaguarsfan.gif

kawhi had Pop, Duncan, Manu, Parker, Nurse, Siakam, Lowry, Ibaka, Gasol

a ball? wtf

:oldlol:

HBK_Kliq_2
10-14-2021, 12:47 AM
Siakam 2019 finals = 20ppg on 51%

Gasol 2010 finals = 18ppg on 48%

https://c.tenor.com/JEj4FA-lXdEAAAAC/confused-jaguarsfan.gif

kawhi had Pop, Duncan, Manu, Parker, Nurse, Siakam, Lowry, Ibaka, Gasol

a ball? wtf

:oldlol:

Pau Gasol GmSC 2010 finals: 18.6

Siakam GmSc 2019 finals: 15.8

Kawhi GmSc 2019 finals: 23.9 (+5.3 over Siakam)

Kobe GmSc 2010 finals: 18.7 (+.1 over Gasol)

+.1 :roll:

Pau Gasol = 4 all nba teams

Lowry and Siakam combined = 2 all nba teams

Gasol is doubling Lowry\Siakam all nba selections by himself :applause:

Kobe_Bryant
10-14-2021, 01:02 AM
Pau Gasol GmSC 2010 finals: 18.6

Siakam GmSc 2019 finals: 15.8

Kawhi GmSc 2019 finals: 23.9 (+5.3 over Siakam)

Kobe GmSc 2010 finals: 18.7 (+.1 over Gasol)

+.1 :roll:

Pau Gasol = 4 all nba teams

Lowry and Siakam combined = 2 all nba teams

Gasol is doubling Lowry\Siakam all nba selections by himself :applause:

stockton has the 3rd highest game score or whatever all time

i don't buy your analytic trash sorry

and pau got all nba 2nd and 3rd teams off reputation for playing in LA with me. he never got a single one in memphis for like 7 years

Kobe_Bryant
10-14-2021, 01:04 AM
and btw when i won i didn't beat a team that was missing its 2 mvps for the finals

dankok8
10-14-2021, 01:33 AM
It's worth noting the difference in opposition with regards to defense.

Kobe's playoff opponents from 08-10 had an average DRtg of 104.8.
Kawhi's playoff opponents from 17-20 had an average DRtg of 108.4.

Kobe_Bryant
10-14-2021, 01:48 AM

its also worth noting that not a single bit of defense has been played in the nba since like 2015

HBK_Kliq_2
10-14-2021, 02:52 AM
and btw when i won i didn't beat a team that was missing its 2 mvps for the finals

Kawhi had to play embiid+ butler in 2nd round

Your rapist ass played aaron Brooks after Yao Ming got injured

Then kawhi played Giannis who has more mvps then Kobe

Then kawhi played curry who has more mvps then Kobe while Kobe played washed up post surgery KG

HBK_Kliq_2
10-14-2021, 02:55 AM

That's a deceiving way to judge it because jimmy butler and embiid barely played together in reg season.

Kawhi had to play 3 all defense players Simmons butler and embiid, then defensive player of the year Giannis and their #1 defense, then draymond green a top 3 playoff defender of the 2010s decade.

Who is Kobe playing? Carmello? Aaron Brooks? Steve Nash? All horrible defenders

HBK_Kliq_2
10-14-2021, 03:10 AM
stockton has the 3rd highest game score or whatever all time

i don't buy your analytic trash sorry

and pau got all nba 2nd and 3rd teams off reputation for playing in LA with me. he never got a single one in memphis for like 7 years

GmSC = gamescore

Game Score AKA GmSC is a statistic that attempts to give a total perspective on a player's statistical performance throughout an entire basketball game.

GmSc - Game Score; the formula is PTS + 0.4 * FG - 0.7 * FGA - 0.4*(FTA - FT) + 0.7 * ORB + 0.3 * DRB + STL + 0.7 * AST + 0.7 * BLK - 0.4 * PF - TOV. Game Score was created by John Hollinger to give a rough measure of a player's productivity for a single game.

Kawhi was more productive then Kobe, more efficient, better defender, more clutch and so on and so on.

Rysio
10-14-2021, 03:25 AM
Kawhi in his best championship run avergeed 29 on 44% shooting in ecf and finals kobe in 09 averaged 33 on 46% in wcf and finals. Kobe >>>

HBK_Kliq_2
10-14-2021, 03:29 AM
Kawhi in his best championship run avergeed 29 on 44% shooting in ecf and finals kobe in 09 averaged 33 on 46% in wcf and finals. Kobe >>>

732 points on 62% TS. Greatest scoring playoff run in NBA history.

Kobe was never efficient like kawhi was, he's like Wal-Mart kawhi and takes stupid ass shots. Not to mention always had the triangle offense and best low post player in the NBA in his back pocket (Shaq or Pau).

SATAN
10-14-2021, 03:31 AM
Haha, yeah man...

:facepalm

Phoenix
10-14-2021, 06:50 AM

There's a reason you quote points and not PPG. Kblaze dismissed this bullshit the other day. You don't get brownies sent express to your house because you scored more points as a result of the number of games it took you to get the job done.

Example

Player A averages 34ppg on 60% TS and beats his opponent in 5 games. Scores 170 points

Player B averages 31ppg on 62% TS and beats his opponent in 7 games. Scores 217 points

By your logic player 2 is the better scorer. MJ had a 35ppg championship run on 58% TS. Lebron had a 34ppg on 62% TS through the 2018 finals but wasn't gifted KD's injury like Kawhit was the following year. Durant in 2019, the same year you're handjobing Kawhi over, was dropping 32ppg on 63% TS, and 29ppg on 64% TS in 2018 when the Warriors won. Kawhit in 2019 wasn't on some next level shit. He shot 44% against the Bucks in the conference finals, and 42% in the finals. The TS% you're wanking over was basically a result of his efficiency in the first two rounds against Orlando and Philly. Both his scoring and efficiency dipped as the playoffs progressed.

ImKobe
10-14-2021, 09:15 AM

Kobe was never efficient like kawhi was, he's like Wal-Mart kawhi and takes stupid ass shots. Not to mention always had the triangle offense and best low post player in the NBA in his back pocket (Shaq or Pau).

Pau was not the best low post player in the NBA at any point in his career you ****ing moron.

And if anything, those guys held Kobe's efficiency back by clogging the paint, something the modern offenses are completely against doing as it results in less efficient offensive output. He also didn't have the elite 3PT shooters Kawhi's played with to space the floor for him to give him more 1 on 1 opportunities. You're comparing TS% numbers across eras when Kobe played against the toughest defenses in NBA history for half of his career/the majority of his prime vs. Kawhi playing in the worst defensive era in league history where everyone has a 60+%TS.

Kawhi's only alpha ring came with a team that played at a 60-win pace I believe without him and was a game away from the ECF the following year and had been a perennial 50+ win team without him and he only won a title because the Warriors had injuries to 5 of their 8 key rotation players or something ridiculous with Klay only playing 2(?) games relatively healthy for the entire Finals and the cRaptors were still a hair away from playing an elimination game.

RRR3
10-14-2021, 09:20 AM
There's a reason you quote points and not PPG. Kblaze dismissed this bullshit the other day. You don't get brownies sent express to your house because you scored more points as a result of the number of games it took you to get the job done.

Example

Player A averages 34ppg on 60% TS and beats his opponent in 5 games. Scores 170 points

Player B averages 31ppg on 62% TS and beats his opponent in 7 games. Scores 217 points

By your logic player 2 is the better scorer. MJ had a 35ppg championship run on 58% TS. Lebron had a 34ppg on 62% TS through the 2018 finals but wasn't gifted KD's injury like Kawhit was the following year. Durant in 2019, the same year you're handjobing Kawhi over, was dropping 32ppg on 63% TS, and 29ppg on 64% TS in 2018 when the Warriors won. Kawhit in 2019 wasn't on some next level shit. He shot 44% against the Bucks in the conference finals, and 42% in the finals. The TS% you're wanking over was basically a result of his efficiency in the first two rounds against Orlando and Philly. Both his scoring and efficiency dipped as the playoffs progressed.
Holy shit this is a brutal ether.

Gohan
10-14-2021, 09:45 AM

Example

You didnt even have to do him like that:oldlol:

Kobe_Bryant
10-14-2021, 09:54 AM
Kawhi had to play embiid+ butler in 2nd round

Your rapist ass played aaron Brooks after Yao Ming got injured

Then kawhi played Giannis who has more mvps then Kobe

Then kawhi played curry who has more mvps then Kobe while Kobe played washed up post surgery KG

I beat 24 teams with 50+ wins. Jordan beat 20. lebron beat 14. how many has kawhi beaten.

Phoenix
10-14-2021, 10:11 AM
Holy shit this is a brutal ether.

You didnt even have to do him like that:oldlol:

Hell, Kawhit still needed 6 games to win with Steph on the other side dropping 31ppg on crap efficiency( 41%) and could be isolated with a box and 1 defense not otherwise possible if the Warriors had all their horses. HBK_Klt has skullfukked himself into thinking the 29ppg/43% Kawhit dropped would have gotten the job done if KD hadn't gotten injured. Hell, Siakim(59%) and Lowry(56%) both scored 26 in game 6 to Kawhi's 22 /43%( VanFleet also dropped 22/43%). And the Raptors won by 4.........without KD there.

Phoenix
10-14-2021, 10:17 AM
I beat 24 teams with 50+ wins. Jordan beat 20. lebron beat 14. how many has kawhi beaten.

Kawhit has a better record of joining the 50+ win team. The Spurs won 61 games in 2011, the Raptors 59 games in 2018( and won 58 in 2019 with Kawhit on-board), and joined a 48 win Clippers team without a single all-star on the roster( and whose 3 leading scorers Harris, Galinari and Lou missed a combined 48 games).

RRR3
10-14-2021, 10:20 AM
Kawhit has a better record of joining the 50+ win team. The Spurs won 61 games in 2011, the Raptors 59 games in 2018( and won 58 in 2019 with Kawhit on-board), and joined a 48 win Clippers team without a single all-star on the roster( and whose 3 leading scorers Harris, Galinari and Lou missed a combined 48 games).
I love how he uses that 50 win marker when he knows damn well that punishes LeBron for playing in shortened seasons in 2012 and 2020 (and he played a team that played 81 games and won 49 in 2013).

ImKobe
10-14-2021, 10:24 AM
I love how he uses that 50 win marker when he knows damn well that punishes LeBron for playing in shortened seasons in 2012 and 2020 (and he played a team that played 81 games and won 49 in 2013).

boo hoo. How many bottom 10 offenses did he get to play out East every year? Didn't he have an entire Finals run with him facing a bottom 10 offense in every EC series? He got to play just one side of the ball for half of his EC Playoff run at least and people were making DPOY arguments for him lmao.

GrayGoat
01-27-2022, 06:14 PM
Kawhi is more efficient and has bigger hands (better control)