PDA

View Full Version : Remember when the NBA was not scared of the Hawks?

Richesly
09-15-2020, 12:20 AM
I do.

Great times.

highwhey
09-15-2020, 12:27 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/cc52fc651c552cafe21d9ccb5259363a/tenor.gif

Kblaze8855
09-15-2020, 12:32 AM
You mean every second since Bob Pettit got old in the early 60s?

Maybe there was a moment of fear when Dr.J signed and they still had Pistol Pete, Lou Hudson, and Walt Bellamy but after I think 2 preseason games the judge made him go back to the ABA.

For those 2 games im sure someone was concerned. Short of that?

Im not sure "The Hawks are a bad matchup for us" has been said since they were getting Cleo Hill cut and blackballed for being good, black, and flashy in the south when they didnt take kindly to that. Bill Russell was a young up and comer. The guy who invented behind the back dribbling was like....44 years old. The first basketball coach in history had retired like 6 years before. Literally. Phog allen who was the first person to coach in a game of basketball...he was still coaching when the Hawks won last in 1958 or so. Im talking the era where all footage of black people included Mahalia Jackson singing or a background of somber church humming. People were still alive who remembered following the north star to freedom the last time the Hawks had people afraid. Getting your dick sucked by another consenting adult was still being prosecuted as a crime when the Hawks were legit scary.

People have been begging to get the Hawks in the playoffs since before buffalo wings were imagined.

The last time a team ducked the Hawks the only place to get a chicken wing was buying a whole chicken and cutting the wings off.

I said all that to say....yes. Everyone remembers not being afraid of the Hawks.

Sportal
09-15-2020, 12:37 AM
Sure as hell nobody was when they got swept.

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2020, 12:39 AM
As well as I remember their last conference finals win

Kblaze8855
09-15-2020, 12:47 AM
As well as I remember their last conference finals win

The youngest guy on that team(not counting people who have died) is 79 year old Rod Thorn.

Spurs m8
09-15-2020, 01:40 AM
Remember that season that the simpletons were calling them Spurs East lol

GimmeThat
09-15-2020, 01:51 AM
I remember that the Hawks were consistently one of the franchises who sold the least amount of tickets

as for as the actual team went, they just never ever hit the coaching jackpot

I also remember that there was a time where professional athletes were generally related as criminals, and the Hawks players consistently flew under the radar

warriorfan
09-15-2020, 02:33 AM
I love how op shows up for one adderall induced shitpost every 6 months to a year and Blaze is there to fire his ass up everytime :roll:

Consistency.

oldtimer28
09-15-2020, 04:50 AM
You mean every second since Bob Pettit got old in the early 60s?

Maybe there was a moment of fear when Dr.J signed and they still had Pistol Pete, Lou Hudson, and Walt Bellamy but after I think 2 preseason games the judge made him go back to the ABA.

For those 2 games im sure someone was concerned. Short of that?

Im not sure "The Hawks are a bad matchup for us" has been said since they were getting Cleo Hill cut and blackballed for being good, black, and flashy in the south when they didnt take kindly to that. Bill Russell was a young up and comer. The guy who invented behind the back dribbling was like....44 years old. The first basketball coach in history had retired like 6 years before. Literally. Phog allen who was the first person to coach in a game of basketball...he was still coaching when the Hawks won last in 1958 or so. Im talking the era where all footage of black people included Mahalia Jackson singing or a background of somber church humming. People were still alive who remembered following the north star to freedom the last time the Hawks had people afraid. Getting your dick sucked by another consenting adult was still being prosecuted as a crime when the Hawks were legit scary.

People have been begging to get the Hawks in the playoffs since before buffalo wings were imagined.

The last time a team ducked the Hawks the only place to get a chicken wing was buying a whole chicken and cutting the wings off.

I said all that to say....yes. Everyone remembers not being afraid of the Hawks.

Love your posts usually and you're right, but give some credit to the Wilkins, Blaylock, Willis days. Great regular season teams at least.

Kblaze8855
09-15-2020, 05:27 AM
The Bud hawks were good too. I didn’t say the Hawks have not been good since the 60s. I said nobody has been afraid.

They were good with Nique.

What they have not been is a team to have the league or even conference worried. I admit even I was briefly impressed with the Bud team that won 60 games. Loved how they used Korver that year. But getting swept with home court by a team missing I believe it’s second and third best player ruins your credibility.

ArbitraryWater
09-15-2020, 05:36 AM
The Spurs of the East :bowdown:

oldtimer28
09-15-2020, 06:01 AM
The Bud hawks were good too. I didn’t say the Hawks have not been good since the 60s. I said nobody has been afraid.

They were good with Nique.

What they have not been is a team to have the league or even conference worried. I admit even I was briefly impressed with the Bud team that won 60 games. Loved how they used Korver that year. But getting swept with home court by a team missing I believe it’s second and third best player ruins your credibility.

Yes,

Thanks though as you even made me remember Stacey Augmon - not built for today's game but the plastic man was fun to watch.

Trying to think of other Hawks players from those days. Grant Long maybe?

I thought the Bud hawks were over-rated - 4 all stars hmmmm but they did well in the regular season and made Korver an all-star.

Shogon
09-15-2020, 07:45 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/cc52fc651c552cafe21d9ccb5259363a/tenor.gif

:roll:

Real Men Wear Green
09-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Remember the Hawks?
Fixed.

Reggie43
09-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Steve Smith, Mutombo, Blaylock Hawks were one good piece away from being a threat. They had no depth at all.

Proctor
09-15-2020, 08:50 AM
The Salt Factory

Gohan
09-15-2020, 09:20 AM
I remember ginoboli being scared of a bat but never any hawks from Atlanta

imdaman99
09-15-2020, 10:00 AM
I remember Marcus Camby dunking all over Mount Mutumbo on his way to sweeping the higher seeded Hawks in the 2nd round :rockon:

Gohan
09-15-2020, 10:05 AM
I remember Marcus Camby dunking all over Mount Mutumbo on his way to sweeping the higher seeded Hawks in the 2nd round :rockon:

Marcus Camby is a fraud and should be exposed as one

imdaman99
09-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Marcus Camby is a fraud and should be exposed as one

You better not be real14 bruh. You and turboslayer and whoever else is a Knicks fan on here. I better not be the last Knicks fan on here. The rest of them given up because of the team being inept :(

Gohan
09-15-2020, 10:15 AM
You better not be real14 bruh. You and turboslayer and whoever else is a Knicks fan on here. I better not be the last Knicks fan on here. The rest of them given up because of the team being inept :(

No I’m not real14 though I like him as a poster
I’m a warrior fan

oldtimer28
09-15-2020, 10:16 AM
Steve Smith, Mutombo, Blaylock Hawks were one good piece away from being a threat. They had no depth at all.

Forgot about them. Remember Steve smith's pretend to spin but then slowly drive around the player go-to move. Never looked like it would work from the sidelines, but it always did.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjkr6K2rOvrAhXmyzgGHciQBwYQwqsBMAB6BAgKE AU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fballislifesty le%2Fvideos%2Fsteve-smith-breaks-down-his-signature-move-the-smitty%2F163733091228583%2F&usg=AOvVaw2NbhL2uyuOTfvmT-BjRZRs

Kblaze8855
09-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Forgot about them. Remember Steve smith's pretend to spin but then slowly drive around the player go-to move. Never looked like it would work from the sidelines, but it always did.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjkr6K2rOvrAhXmyzgGHciQBwYQwqsBMAB6BAgKE AU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fballislifesty le%2Fvideos%2Fsteve-smith-breaks-down-his-signature-move-the-smitty%2F163733091228583%2F&usg=AOvVaw2NbhL2uyuOTfvmT-BjRZRs

https://youtu.be/zxTMl14Wvwg

CelticBaller
09-15-2020, 03:10 PM
The who?

Roundball_Rock
09-15-2020, 04:10 PM

They had Laettner too but not much beyond the top guys. The 97' team was probably the best Hawks team, along with the 15' Hawks, since the Petit days.

94' they had a shot but became I believe the first and only team in NBA history to trade their leading scorer while in 1st place in the conference (they were tied with Chicago at the all-star break). I get what they were trying to do (get a better overall player who they thought was more likely to re-sign with the team, which ironically he ultimately didn't) but their performance declined with Manning there instead of Wilkins. It was crazy to rock the boat when you are in 1st.

fsvr54
09-15-2020, 05:22 PM
I do.

Great times.

Why are you drawing all this negative attention towards us?

Cam reddish is the next NBA superstar though

oldtimer28
09-15-2020, 06:06 PM
https://youtu.be/zxTMl14Wvwg

Very cool. Did you make one for Glen Rice in Miami? Underrated scorer in my view.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 06:09 PM
Giannis for Trae Young

fsvr54
09-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Very cool. Did you make one for Glen Rice in Miami? Underrated scorer in my view.

Rice as long as Steve Smith were the SHIT!! Glen was great in Charlotte too, my favorite jumpshot form of all time!!

Reggie43
09-15-2020, 06:40 PM

Yeah that was a nice signature move to have. Always liked Smitty because of his demeanor and clutchness.

Reggie43
09-15-2020, 06:51 PM
They had Laettner too but not much beyond the top guys. The 97' team was probably the best Hawks team, along with the 15' Hawks, since the Petit days.

94' they had a shot but became I believe the first and only team in NBA history to trade their leading scorer while in 1st place in the conference (they were tied with Chicago at the all-star break). I get what they were trying to do (get a better overall player who they thought was more likely to re-sign with the team, which ironically he ultimately didn't) but their performance declined with Manning there instead of Wilkins. It was crazy to rock the boat when you are in 1st.

I guess they thought they were getting a younger up and coming perennial allstar in exchange for a past his prime aging great but yeah I get what youre saying.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-15-2020, 08:54 PM
The Hawks were a solid consistent franchise from the late 80's to around 2000. They were kind of like the Memphis Grizzlies were for much of the past decade. Not a great team, but a good one that title teams had to beat to get their ring.