PDA

View Full Version : Giannis for Zion is a better deal for the Bucks

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 04:59 PM
If Milwaukee becomes convinced Giannis is going to walk, or he demands a trade, the thinking is the Warriors could offer the most attractive deal with the #2 pick, Wiggins and future picks.

But Wiggins isn't a superstar, the #2 is all potential and who knows what future #1 picks from the Warriors will look like. It would make more sense to trade for someone with similar upside who is also marketable. And Zion is that. The Bucks could ask for Lonzo since he plays well with Zion and the Pelicans have plenty of picks.

Why would the Pelicans make the deal? Because Giannis is already a superstar in his prime, there is some risk with Zion's injuries and weight, and Giannis gives you something the Pelicans badly need which is great defense. They have enough perimiter scorers in Jrue, JJ and Ingram to complement Giannis's game, and make playoff walls less effective.

Meanwhile the Bucks get a guy with generational upside who is easier to market.

Just a thought since Miami, Dallas and the Warriors have already been speculated. Giannis might see things differently, though.

King Baron
09-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Imo, there is almost zero chance Zion gets traded during his rookie contract. Plus, it's unlikely Giannis would agree to go to the Pelicans.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Imo, there is almost zero chance Zion gets traded during his rookie contract. Plus, it's unlikely Giannis would agree to go to the Pelicans.

Most likely not, but it occurred to me the Pelicans have the assets and player with upside that would be attractive to the Bucks, if they felt they had to trade Giannis. Wiggins isn't that, and I doubt the #2 pick in this draft is either. And I doubt Dallas or Miami would offer anything better.

King Baron
09-15-2020, 05:09 PM
I think if the Pelicans team were in a large market like LA, NY, Chicago, Giannis might agree. I can't quite see him going from the Bucks to the Pelicans though or similar. That is unless Zion was still there to play with him but then you couldn't do the trade really.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 05:11 PM
I think if the Pelicans team were in a large market like LA, NY, Chicago, Giannis might agree. I can't quite see him going from the Bucks to the Pelicans though or similar. That is unless Zion was still there to play with him but then you couldn't do the trade really.

What would that trade be? Giannis for Ingram, Jrue and draft picks? I also don't know what makes the cap space work for the Pelicans.

Zion and Giannis would be a weird combination, but people would be excited to see it. Would you take Wiggins and #2 over a non-Zon Pelicans trade offer?

NBAGOAT
09-15-2020, 05:13 PM
Most likely not, but it occurred to me the Pelicans have the assets and player with upside that would be attractive to the Bucks, if they felt they had to trade Giannis. Wiggins isn't that, and I doubt the #2 pick in this draft is either. And I doubt Dallas or Miami would offer anything better.

porzingis or bam are pretty appealing

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 05:22 PM
Imo, there is almost zero chance Zion gets traded during his rookie contract.

I was wondering what top draft picks had been traded after their rookie year, and Chris Webber came to mind. But he had a dispute with Don Nelson, and basically said it was either him or the coach. Zion hasn't pulled any shit like that.

Both Giannis and Zion demanding trades would probably be the only thing that could make this work.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 05:25 PM
porzingis or bam are pretty appealing

That's true. Porzingis is a bit risky with his health issues. But if you're trading for young stars with upside, then he would be one.

Real Men Wear Green
09-15-2020, 05:32 PM
No way would Antetokuonmpo sign with the Pelicans.

light
09-15-2020, 05:48 PM
The Pelicans wouldn't want to make that trade.

fsvr54
09-15-2020, 05:49 PM

You don't let go of a cash cow like Zion for anything right now.

Marchesk
09-15-2020, 05:53 PM

They would be a better team for the foreseeable future if they did. At some point Zion might become an MVP caliber player, but Giannis is already that with great defense in his prime. Zion is a health risk with poor defense and little experience right now.

Maybe they wouldn't sell as much advertising and merchandise, but fans would come around if the Pelicans became real contenders.