PDA

View Full Version : University Athletic Association of the Philippines

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:06 PM
The Athletic Mind: Rookie Watch, the Whole Nine Yards

by Sid Ventura

I hate it when my writing schedule gets interrupted. For the past three years, I

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Season Preview Part One

by Sid Ventura of UBelt.com

A fellow sportswriter who covers the UAAP beat for one of the country

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Athletic Mind: Season Preview Part 2
by Sidney Ventura

[b]A couple of things I need to get out of the way before we go to Part 2: 1. There

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Athletic Mind: Season Preview Part 3

by Sidney Ventura

Out of the Doghouse

National University Bulldogs

Head Coach: Manny Dandan
Assistants: Chico Manabat and Jeff Napa
Additions: PF/C Raymond Aguilar, SG Chris Catamora, SF Mervin Boloran, SG Aaron Galapon, C Jewel Ponferrada, and SG Joseph Tesoro
Subtractions: SF Dave Catamora, PG Julian Cooper, C Howard Flor, PG Jason Malcontento, PF Benner John Salamat.

Line-up:
Raymond John Aguilar

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Subplots Emerge In UAAP 70 Launch

by JP Abcede

Questions will finally be answered once the 2007 UAAP men`s basketball games kick off on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum. Will the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers be able to defend their crown despite the last minute exclusion of 2006 men`s basketball finals MVP Jojo Duncil? Will Ateneo de Manila University avenge their defeat in the championship series last year?

Will University of the East finally get over the Final Four hump? Will De La Salle University have a grand comeback? Will Far Eastern University, National University, and even University of the Philippines surprise everyone and make heads turn their way?

These are some of the questions that are at the back of everybody

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
eto poh ung complete sked

SATURDAY, JULY 07, 2007

2pm DLSU vs UP ARANETA 1st
4pm NU vs FEU ARANETA 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 08, 2007

2pm ADMU vs ADU NINOY 1st
4pm UST vs UE NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, JULY 12, 2007

2pm UE vs NU NINOY 1st
4pm UP vs ADMU NINOY 1st

SATURDAY, JULY 14, 2007

2pm ADU vs DLSU NINOY 1st
4pm FEU vs UST NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2007

2pm NU vs UP NINOY 1st
4pm ADMU vs UE NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, JULY 19, 2007

2pm ADU vs UST NINOY 1st
4pm DLSU vs FEU NINOY 1st

SATURDAY, JULY 21, 2007

2pm NU vs ADMU NINOY 1st
4pm UST vs UP NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 22, 2007

2pm FEU vs ADU NINOY 1st
4pm UE vs DLSU NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, JULY 26, 2007

2pm NU vs UST NINOY 1st
4pm DLSU vs ADMU ARANETA 1st

SATURDAY, JULY 28, 2007

2pm ADU vs NU NINOY 1st
4pm UP vs UE NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 29, 2007

2pm UST vs DLSU NINOY 1st
4pm ADMU vs FEU NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, AUGUST 02, 2007

2pm UE vs FEU NINOY 1st
4pm ADU vs UP NINOY 1st

SATURDAY, AUGUST 04, 2007

2pm NU vs DLSU NINOY 1st
4pm UE vs ADU NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, AUGUST 05, 2007

2pm UP vs FEU NINOY 1st
4pm ADMU vs UST NINOY 1st

Lebron23
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Tigers Claim To Be Underdogs This 70th Season

http://static.flickr.com/79/249024551_4f36f76f74.jpg

by Reuben Ezra Terrado of UBelt.com

Defending champion University of Santo Tomas does not mind tagging themselves as underdogs in the 70th season of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men

Lebron23
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Athletic Mind: Season Preview Part 4

by Sidney Ventura

As always, I have my things-to-get-out-of-the-way list before I proceed with the article proper. (1) It turns out La Salle big man Marko Batricevic might be able to suit up sometime in the second round, or, if he`s really lucky, even as early as late in the first round. (2) Here`s my first shameless plug of the new season. My friends and I have set up this bar called Taberna Ocho located at 162 Maginhawa St. Sikatuna Village Quezon City. Visit our website at ocho.wordpress.com for more details. (3) Jessica Alba is hot.

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1298

Young Guns 2

University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons

Head coach: Jose Lipa

Assistants: Ramil Cruz, Mark Jomalesa, and Jojo Villa

Additions: SF Jayfelson Agbayani, SG Czarlo Dela Victoria, PG Michael Gamboa, SF Dionisio Hipolito, SF Mark Lopez, PF/C Andrew Marfori, C Socrates Rivera, PG Dexter Rosales, and SF Julius Wong

Subtractions: PG Arvin Braganza, PF Ira Buyco, C Galen Cacha, PG Marvin Cruz, PF Nestor David, SG Francis Maniego, SG Dan Salvador, SG Paul Sorongon, and Gretchen Fullido

Line-up:

Jayfelson Agbayani – 6'2"

Woodward John Co – 6'3"

Miguel Antonio De Asis – 5'9"

Czarlo Dela Victoria – 6'2"

Victor Mel Epres – 6'1"

Michael Joseph Gamboa - 5'7"

Dionisio Hipolito III – 6'2"

Mark Anthony Lopez – 6'1"

Santos Andrew Marfori – 6'4"

Martin John Reyes – 6'0"

Socrates Rivera – 6'4"

Dexter Rosales – 5'8"

Virgilio Serios, Jr.- 6'3"

Magi King Sison – 6'6"

Julius Paul Wong – 6'1"

The makeover continues. Having come up with arguably the best recruiting class of the season, the UP Maroons had to make way for their talented newcomers and once again have a roster with more rookies than veterans. It's a price Joe Lipa is willing to pay if it means a competitive team down the road, although he realizes it will also mean this year's team will take its share of lumps.

"We have six sophomores, two juniors and seven rookies on the team," Lipa said. "And the seven rookies are fresh from high school. They don’t know our program, and they have to do a lot of adjustment in our system. And you know, all the disadvantages that go with a young team are there. But we are trying to remedy this, and we are hoping for a winning season."

To be precise, the two juniors are actually veteran shooting guard Vic Epres, who is on his final year, and the comebacking Jay Agbayani, who will be entering his fourth season. Also, the sixth sophomore is Andrew Marfori, who is a sophomore in college but a rookie in the UAAP. Regardless, it's still a young team, and although the talent is there, there's still a lot of ground to cover.

"We have to improve a lot on our defensive rotation," Lipa continued. "Of course, rebounding will be a problem for us because our big men are not that dominant. And we have to improve a lot on our motion offense."

The rebounding aspect is indeed a cause for concern. A little-known fact: the team's best rebounder last year was actually Marvin Cruz (7.9rpg), who won’t be returning. He's the second-biggest loss for the team, next to Gretchen Fullido, of course. Left to fill the void are rookies Marfori and Soc Rivera and sophomore Magi Sison, none of whom, as Lipa pointed out, are particularly dominant underneath.

Marfori is perhaps the best-skilled among the three, a player who always knows where he should be on the court and who is a good weakside help defender, but he's not particularly agile and at a shade under six-four is undersized. Rivera is immensely talented, an athletic six-four big man who runs the court well, can shoot from afar, and is probably the team's best shotblocker. But he's reed-thin and can easily be pushed around. Sison is the most tantalizing prospect among the three, and at the same time the most frustrating. The tallest player on the team at six-six, he can either show flashes of brilliance or make Lipa's blood boil with botched play after botched play.

The lack of big men will mean top man VJ Serios will have to spend some time at the power forward spot, which is a pity because he is more effective playing the wing where he can create mismatches and where he is probably the team's best defender.

This all means that UP will still rely on its run-and-gun philosophy. They certainly have the tools: snipers Migs De Asis and Martin Reyes will alternate at the two-spot where they will almost certainly be among the league leaders in three-point shots. For back-up the team elevated Czarlo Dela Victoria from the training pool, while Serios, Epres, Woody Co and rookie Mark Lopez also have the range from outside.

The "run" part will be anchored by rookie point guards Mike Gamboa and Dexter Rosales. In fact, everyone on this team can run, which is crucial. The Maroons have to attempt to fastbreak every chance they get because, just like last year's team, they will have trouble against bigger and more experienced opponents in a half-court set.

But it's a classic chicken-and-egg thing: they can’t run if they don’t have the ball, and they can't get the ball unless they dominate the boards, and they can’t dominate the boards unless they have enough big men, which they don't.

Additionally, you have to make your opponents miss first before you can even think about grabbing a defensive rebound, and this crew is sort of lacking in defensive stoppers, particularly in the back court. Gamboa and De Asis, in particular, are terrible man-to-man defenders.

But Lipa remains optimistic. "We'll try very hard. It's not far from happening, but one thing's for sure, we'll give it our best shot."

So which teams are his heavy favorites?

"La Salle, based on their performance in the two summer leagues, I would say would be seeded number one, number two would be UE, then FEU, number four would be a toss-up between UST and NU."

My prognosis: this is a team built for the future. Expect a lot of rookie mistakes this season and few wins. There are just too many teams who are taller and more experienced. UP will probably register an upset win here and there, but a Final Four berth may be out of reach.

Advertisement: UBelt.com's Virtual Team Manager (VTM) is back! NIKE Gift Certificates are up for grabs! Click here to play!

Troubled Tigers

University of Sto. Tomas Growling Tigers

Head coach: Alfredo Jarencio

Assistants: Beaujing Acot, Manny Calipes, Senen Duenas, Edwin Escobar, and Rabbi Tomacruz

Additions: SG John Hector Badua, SG Darryl Basa, C Khasim Mirza, PG Rum Perry Scott, and SF Francis Soriano

Subtractions: PF Allan Evangelista, SG Joselito Duncil, SG AC Marquez, and SG Jemal Vizcarra

Line-up:

Dylan Ababou – 6'2"

Francis Philip Allera – 6'3"

John Hector Badua – 5'11"

John Darryl Basa – 6'0"

Mark Angelo Canlas – 6'5"

Jose Cortez, Jr. - 5'10"

Jervy Cruz – 6'4"

John Paul Cuan – 5'7"

June Dizon - 6'3"

Anthony Espiritu – 6'4"

Melchor Gile – 6'3"

Khasim Mirza – 6'4"

Rum Perry Scott – 5'9"

Francis Soriano - 6'5"

Up until last week, I had penciled in UST as a top three team, owing to its relatively intact line-up. All that changed thanks to a questionable birth certificate.

The shock loss of top gun Jojo Duncil is big not only because of what the guy brings to the court – shooting, leadership, experience – but also because of its suddenness. I wouldn’t be surprised if this has caused a little demoralization in the ranks, Duncil being the face of UST's improbable title run last year.

Of course, Jervy Cruz is still there. The six-four center is arguably the best at his position now that Ken Bono isn’t around. Plus, Anthony Espiritu and Mark Canlas can be relied on to provide ample support. Meanwhile, ex-Tiger Cubs Darryl Basa and Hector Badua will try to fill Duncil's shoes at the shooting guard position, while Rum Perry Scott, a talented transferee from Lyceum, becomes the team's third point guard.

But there are more storm clouds in the horizon.

Comes now unconfirmed news that swingman Dylan Ababou has contracted Hepatitis B. Two reliable sources have shared this bit of news with me, although it remains unclear just how many games the athletic forward will miss if ever. Because of this, I'm not so sure anymore if the Tigers can make it back to the finals. Then again, nobody gave them a chinaman's chance last year.

But what really happened with Duncil anyway? For the record, this is what Fr. Ermito De Sagun said during the press conference last Monday after I posed that dreaded question concerning Duncil's last-minute decision to turn pro. I am printing it here verbatim (special thanks to my colleague Reuben Terrado for the transcription):

Ok, let me answer that. Of course, Jojo Duncil was our player. He was a UAAP player. As far as we are concerned, he is a dead horse and it is useless to talk about a dead horse. Sabi ko nga, kaya tinanggal na lang sa line-up kasi hindi nakaka-excel yung iba. Natatakpan yung ibang player namin kaya iba naman. But really, as far as the controversy is concerned, we know from the family. In fact, Jojo Duncil is the nephew of the rector of UST. So, as far as his person is concerned, we have no doubts against his person. He is a good boy. But the only problem is he has two NSO-certified birth certificates. One will make him ineligible. Kasi kung 1982, ineligible. Kung 1983, eligible. Now, we think that this is, as far as UST is concerned, is an additional burden, an excess load. We don't want any member of our team to have excess load. It will be a distraction to our games. We don't want to have games and put into question. Kaya better, mag-pro ka nalang. And of course, as a matter of fact, that was his real intention. He was weighing the possibility of going pro because he was watching the list of those who will go pro. Kasi siyempre, yung player, nakakiramdam din when is the best time to turn pro. Siyempre kung maraming magagaling na mag-turn pro, mahihirapan ka rin. So parang for him, that's his decision and the family's decision and we respect it. Sa UST, hindi na namin pinag-uusapan yun.

We can probably forgive Fr. De Sagun for the poor spin he put on what really happened (that part about removing Duncil from the line-up to give others a chance to excel is just plain silly). But I think I understand where he is coming from. A source told me the real story is that Duncil was in fact born in 1983, but his parents, eager to enroll him in school at the soonest time possible, somehow made it appear that he was born in 1982. Naturally, it was this birth certificate that became the basis for his age from then on. And inevitably, it came back to haunt him.

A similar thing happened with one of my friends who faked his age so that he could get a driver's license at the age of 14. Now, he can’t apply for an international license because his Philippine license and his birth certificate show two different birth dates.

So technically, Duncil is only 24. But since he has been using the erroneous birth certificate ever since...well, you can easily see how this became a stupid problem that UST just didn’t want to deal with. It's also why I don’t think any further investigations will be pursued.

Lebron23
07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Anyway, here's my predicted order of finish at the end of the elimination round:

UE
DLSU
ADMU
UST
NU
FEU
UP
AdU

Rookie of the Year: Soc Rivera (UP)

Mythical Five:

Guard

Lebron23
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
to all Thomasians: you can avail your tickets in the SOCC office TODAY!! from 8am up to 5 pm at the 2nd floor of the UST-TAN yan kee student center.

at the same time, do not forget to buy out a UST Long Car Sticker at the second floor of the UST Grandstand for only P60

you can also avail the 2007 UAAP T-shirts at the socc office parin!

Proud Thomasians @ 400!!

GO USTE Lets Defend the Crown

Lebron23
07-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Ito ang real reason kung bakit mwawala si Duncil sa UST.

As Explain by IHEART UST

Hindi ko maintindihan kung anong katotohanan pa ang gusto ninyong malaman.

Inamin na nga ni Fr. De Sagun sa isang interview na oo, mayroong dalawang birth certificate si Jojo MULA SA NSO.

Sinabi na rin ni Jojo sa interview niya na kaya nangyari iyon ay dahil nagparehistro ulit ang kapatid niya noong 1989. Na batay sa post dito ni Mr. Brownstone at sinegundahan naman ni augustine, iyon ay para palabasin na mas matanda siya ng isang taon para diumano ay makapasok siya ng mas maaga sa elementarya. Ito rin ang nakasaad sa isinulat ni Sid Ventura sa Ubelt na lumabas kahapon.

Ang certificate na ipinasa sa UAAP ay 1983 ang nakasaad. Iyon ang orihinal na kapanganakan niya. Iyon ang tama. Ang certificate na nakatala ngayon sa NSO main ay 1982. Iyon ang mali.

Nagpaliwanag na rin ang UST sa board. Nagdala pa nga daw sila ng hindi lang isa kundi dalawang NSO certificate kaya ngayon ay lumalabas na tatlo na ang kuwestyunableng dokumento. Ang punto dito NAGPALIWANAG NA ANG UST SA BOARD.

Kung bakit naging tatlo ang dokumento, ni isa sa atin dito ay walang nakakaalam. (Maliban na lang kung mayroong board member na PEXer, hehe) Nasa pagitan na iyon ng UST at ng board. Nagkaayos na sila. Tapos ang usapan.

Sa BOARD at tanging sa board lamang mayroong obligasyong magbigay ng pahayag ang UST at ginawa naman nila iyon. Kung piliin man nilang huwag magpahayag sa press ay prerogative nila iyon.

Gusto ko lang linawin, ang UST at ang board ay hindi iisa.

We're talking about representatives from seven other big name universities here in the country. Please do not insult their intelligence by assuming that they will let something anomalous just go by un-admonished. In this case, they probably arrived at the conclusion that nothing anomalous took place.

The public's assumption that Jojo submitted fake papers is culled from their own interpretation of the series of events that transpired. There is no factual basis behind it. The facts remain inside the boardroom where it should be. UST did their part, they explained their side to the board. They have no obligation whatsoever to feed your curiosity.

Suma-tutal ang resulta ng lahat ng ito ay hindi na maglalaro sa UAAP si Jojo. Nakuha na ng mastermind ng plot na ito ang gusto niya. Llamado na ang team niya laban sa UST. Wala na ang orihinal na line-up ng mga Tigers. Ang mga plays na sinaliksik ng coaching staff ng UST at pinaghandaan ng team ngayong pre-season ay malamang na mauwi lang sa wala. Kailangan nilang mag-regroup. May panahon pa ba? Ewan ko. Mamaya na ang simula ng UAAP.

Muli ang tanong ko, nasaan ang "FAIR PLAY" sa ginawa nila?

----

Nga pala, medyo OT na 'to, nabasa ko sa MB na sinusuyo ni Mr. Mikee Romero si Jojo na wag munang mag-pro at sa halip ay sumama muna sa SEA games. Kahapon daw ay nasa Reyes Gym siya para mag-try outs.

Lebron23
07-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Ateneo Muse

1st year College

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/4037/uaapqe2.gif

Lebron23
07-07-2007, 09:03 AM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3019/dlsu1bhn3.jpg

2nd Game NU Bulldogs beat the FEU Tamaraws 73-70.

Top Performer of the Game: Edwin Asoro 17 Points 13 Rebounds, 2 steals and 1 Assists.

Lebron23
07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Eager Archers Start Right A-Way

by JP Abcede

Did anyone miss De La Salle University? Not when they go 14-0 in the first four minutes of their first game back from oblivion. The Green Archers started the 70th UAAP men’s basketball season with a bang, manhandling the young University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons, 82-61, on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum for their first UAAP victory in almost two years, not counting the ones they forfeited prior to that.

“We were just so excited to be back in the UAAP,” said a giddy Franz Pumaren. “We feel like playing for the first time.”

Cholo Villanueva, PJ Walsham, and James Mangahas were just as happy to be there, making the first 14 points of DLSU. Jvee Casio gave the Archers their highest lead, scoring five points late in the game, 82-57.

“I am really expecting him to be there,” Pumaren referred to topscorer Villanueva, who finished with 19 points on 7/13 shooting, while also notching six rebounds and four assists.

Mangahas garnered 14 markers, shooting 70% at the two-point field, and grabbed seven boards before coming out with a sprain. Both TY Tang and Casio finished with 12 points.

Martin Reyes topped the Maroons with 14 points. Woodward Co was good 3/5 at the three-point area, concluding the game with 12.

The green and white gallery thought that the first quarter would never end, euphoric after the scoreboard read 14-0. Magi Sison beat the shot clock buzzer for UP’s first points with a three-pointer, 6:01.

For the rest of the quarter, the Maroons’ only field goals came from beyond the arc until Mark Lopez scored on an undergoal shot, 9:19 of the second period to trail, 16-25. The nearest the Diliman-based squad could get was eight when Migs de Asis netted a three, 5:53 of the third, 37-49.

The Taft-based squad eventually breached the 20-point ledger when Villanueva recovered the ball from a broken play and scored, 65-45, 5:50 of the fourth.

For the Archers’ next opponent, they have Adamson Falcons on July 14. UP, on the other hand, had an early Battle of Intramuros with Ateneo de Manila University on July 12

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=

Bulldogs Snatch Win In OT

by JP Abcede

National University now means business and they took care of revamped Far Eastern University, 73-70, on UAAP men’s basketball opening day on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum.

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1302

Advertisement: UBelt.com's Virtual Team Manager (VTM) is back! NIKE Gift Certificates are up for grabs! Click here to play!

Joseph Lingao-Lingao stopped a driving Mark Barroca in the dying seconds of OT while Jonathan Fernandez closed the coffin with two freethrows.

“We wanted this game badly,” said NU coach Manny Dandan. “To boost our confidence, we need to win this game.”

Lingao-Lingao was top Dog with 17 points, 13 rebounds, and five blocks. Edwin Asoro also had 17 on 2/3 three-point shooting, while also grabbing 16 boards.

Cyrus Malague

Lebron23
07-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Warriors Tame Tigers

by JP Abcede

Diminutive James Martinez played big in the game of giants, needling two three-point shots to take control of what was once a nip and tuck contest, 65-54, at the 2:51 mark of the fourth quarter. Martinez later gave the Red Warriors the highest lead, 73-58, from a breakaway layup.

Lebron23
07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Arao Shines Brightly For Ateneo

by JP Abcede

The sun was not out Sunday afternoon for UAAP men

Lebron23
07-08-2007, 10:46 AM
My take on the Tigers for this 1st game of the season:

1. Badua was great especially at the start. He knows when to look for his own shot and when to attack & pass to an open teammate. Unfortunately, he made some crucial errors in the 2nd half. Badua needs to step up and help Jerby Cruz I know he have huge shoes to filled due to Duncil's idea to enter the PBA Draft.

2. Jervy was impressive as usual except for his foul trouble which limited him. And good thing the sprain he got in the 1st quarter was a minor one. ( Jerby Norm 16 Points, 9 rebounds and a couple of Block Shoots.

3. Anthony and Dylan were both non-factors in the game. Taylor and Japs were the ones giving ample support to Jervy. Japs being one of the smaller player in the court at 5'7 blow away the defense of the UE RED Warriors.

4. Mirza looks promising while Basa did not get enough playing time to show his game.

5. They lost out on 2 factors; rebounding and outside shooting.

Anyway, congrats to UE.

Kaya pa yan UST Tigers!

Lebron23
07-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Power Rankings

Week 1 (by Sidney Ventura)

Ford Arao (ADMU)

Lebron23
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM
UST vs. FEU Saturday

This one is a tough call based on the performance of both teams last week. UST got crushed in the fourth while FEU managed a comeback but ran out of gas in OT. Hmmm.... I'll go for UST by the slimmest of margins.

Three Keys for UST to win:

1. Jervy Cruz all day. Jervy disappeared in the 2nd half against UE and as the Tiger's best player (and offensive weapon) he has to constantly put pressure on opposing defenses with his scoring and offensive rebounding. If Lingao-lingao and Asoro were able to dominate the paint against FEU Jervy should be able to do the same.

2. Make the freebies. Japs and Jervy are not really money from the line but they've got to make at least 70% of their foul shots. 14/25 FT shooting is a common sight in college basketball but UST has to understand that they don't have a wide array of offensive weapons unlike last year so they have to take advantage of every opportunity to score.

3. Anthony Espiritu. 0/5 in 22 minutes of action with 5 turnovers. Anthony Espiritu has failed to follow-up on his strong Final Four and Finals performance a year ago. He failed to show patience and also showed instances of hesitancy. He's got to be more aggressive against FEU because Jervy needs all the help he could get.

Three Keys for FEU to win:

1. Set the player rotation. Capacio used every Tamaraw at his disposal but he has to come up with a set rotation so that he has continuity. He could still be finding the right mix of players but I think it would be best if he has a set rotation of 9 or 10 players.

2. Shoot the damn ball: 9/22 Freethrows and 5/27 3-point field goals. That's just plain horrible. It's too horrible I've ran out of words.

3. Play defense early and often. The only time FEU really locked down on D was in the late stages of the 3rd and the entire 4th. If they fail to play consistent defense I'm sure UST will take full advantage of this.

nOboDy kNoWs
07-14-2007, 11:29 AM
^ I believe UST will make the Final 4 but with the twice to beat DISADVANTAGE. they lost to a rookie-laden FEU squad by a big margin. hey, you are the defending champs! UST will be crushed by DLSU when they meet. DLSU will lead by as much as 20points if UST will continue to play that way.

my final 4: (in order)
1. DLSU
2. UE
3. UST
4. NU or ADMU(but, i think NU has the advantage over admu)

pileddriverr
07-15-2007, 03:02 AM
good day everyone..
did anyboby know where's agustin of adamson..
he just played last year and i think rookie lang sya last time?
high leaper at very athletic

Lebron23
07-15-2007, 03:20 AM
good day everyone..
did anyboby know where's agustin of adamson..
he just played last year and i think rookie lang sya last time?
high leaper at very athletic

Mark Agustin is already 22 yrs.old the last time i saw him play is in the PBL Last Conference. Maybe he have some academic deficiencies that is why he is not included in the Adamson Falcon Roster.

FEU’s Youngsters Lead Charge Against UST

by JP Abcede

The rookies played like veterans as Far Eastern University took advantage of University of Santo Tomas’ atrocious shooting, 81-66, to hand the Tiger’ second UAAP men’s basketball defeat this season on July 14 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

Advertisement: UBelt.com's Virtual Team Manager (VTM) is back! Click here to play and win prizes!

“Masaya dahil first win. Tinalo pa namin defending champion,” FEU coach Glenn Capacio beamed. “Nakakataba ng puso.”

The Tamaraws led by as much as 24 with a Sanny Abaring three-point shot early in the fourth quarter then held off a UST scare in the final minutes to secure the victory.

Paul Sanga and Marlon Adolfo shared topscoring honors for the Tams with 15 points. Ric Cawaling put out 11 markers and four assists.

Jervy Cruz led UST with 19 points and 22 rebounds, 17 offensive. Khasim Mirza figured in the late comeback and finished with 11.

Japs Cuan had ten markers on 4/13 shooting from the field and 1/6 at the freethrow line. He also had 14 boards, four assists, and two steals.

The backbreaker for Santo Tomas is that they only shot 28%, 4/28 from beyond the arc, and missed almost half of their freethrow attempts.

FEU is tied with idle National University, who they lost to at opening day, at 1-1.

One would have realized there was trouble brewing in the black, gold, and white squad when Far Eastern stormed to an 11-2 start. Adolfo and Cawaling teamed together to string a 12-0 breakaway to end the first period.

Alfred Gerilla gave the Tams’ their biggest lead of the first 20 minutes with a basket midway of the second quarter, 38-17 is the score.

It became apparent that things were not going in favor of the Espa

jesronne
07-16-2007, 08:35 PM
na miss na talaga ng ust si duncil this time... kasi days before the practice xa nawala... aw ano ba dahilan bat ala si duncil???

theodip12
07-17-2007, 04:08 AM
sorry guys but i think based on the current teams, its archers all the way.

theodip12
07-17-2007, 04:10 AM
na miss na talaga ng ust si duncil this time... kasi days before the practice xa nawala... aw ano ba dahilan bat ala si duncil???

i think he's overage for the UAAP. he's already 23-24? correct me if im wrong. last that i read he's gonna apply for the PBA draft next month.

Lebron23
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Jerby Cruz for Season 70 MVP...

Tigers Find Rhythm In Time to Beat Falcons

by JP Abcede
The events of the University of Santo Tomas victory against Adamson University, 96-84, at Ninoy Aquino Stadium on July 19 for their UAAP men

jesronne
07-20-2007, 01:25 AM
my goodnesss.... wat an average.... 19 big points and 18 rebounds.... almost 20 20.... hehehehe.... but hes only 6'4 i guess he must be able to get more vitamins para tumaas cya... parang si ali peek....

Lebron23
07-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Jervy Cruz

ust vs ue:

16 pts. 9 rbs. 3 blks. 77.8 fg %

ust vs feu:

19 pts. 22 rbs. (17 off.) 46.2 fg %

ust vs adu:

24 pts. 23 rbs. (12 off.) 2 asts. 1 stl. 1 blk. 41.7 fg %

these numbers are just plain sick.

he is the guy the uaap should watch out for.

This Season JC average 19 Points, 18 rebounds and 1.3 SPG.

Lebron23
08-04-2007, 06:36 AM
University of Santo Thomas beat the Ateneo Blue Eagles

Standings: 4- 3

Final Score: UST 87 , Ateneo 74

Best Players:

Jervy Cruz 19 Points, 21 Rebounds

Khazim Mirza 25 Points, 6 rebounds

jesronne
08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
i was one of the witness of this jervy cruz... during his first game im so much impressed kasi parang xa na yung go to guy bigla... akala ko nga 6'6 to pero 6'4 lang pala... baka nga 6'3.... imagine guyz kung 6'7 to... nako pde nang pang national team agad... aw lan ba edad nya???

trig
08-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Si Jervy parang 2nd coming ni dennis espino pero parang maspolished yung footwork. NBA comparison naman Cweb na bata. yun nga lang pf sya na 6'4 so not good enough for internation competition. I think he's 19 going to 20

Lebron23
08-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Late Surge Propels UST Past Ateneo

by JP Abcede

The game finished in regulation, but the day went into overtime. And ABS-CBN sure had its money

Lebron23
08-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Persistent Archers Take Down Bulldogs

by JP Abcede

De La Salle University survived a day in the doghouse winning, 85-81, against National University at the Cuneta Astrodome on August 4. Rico Maierhofer put the Archers out of sticky situations in the endgame despite playing only for ten game minutes. He was wide open down under for a stab, 1:34 in the game, to have DLSU up, 82-77. Later, he fished Joseph Lingao-Lingao

Funfan
08-11-2007, 03:23 AM
I am an avid fan of UAAP

I love all your post, hope you can continue posting and hopefully you can write something about the 2nd round and give predictions.

Thanks and more power !!!

Fun:rockon: fan

Lebron23
08-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Congratulations to the UST Growling Tigers for beating Lasalle for the first time since 1999.

Best Players of the Game

Jerby Cruz
Espiritu
Khasim Mirza

Final Score 81-73

Stat Line for Jervy Cruz

16 pts
19 rebs
7 blks

Jervy Cruz 2007 UAAP Average

16.4 PPG, 17 RPG, 1.8 BPG

ang ganda talaga ng game lalo na nung 4th quarter di ko akalain makakabalik ang UST natin pero pinakita talaga nila malaki ang puso at pride nila.

GO USTE, Goodluck sa lahat ng games ninyo sa 2nd round.

Lebron23
08-11-2007, 12:42 PM
[B]Like It

Lebron23
08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Tigers Crush Bulldogs

by JP Abcede

University of Santo Tomas shot the lights out in Araneta Coliseum to subdue National University, 84-72, on August 26 at the Araneta Coliseum. Khasim Mirza received a handoff from Japs Cuan for a three-pointer at the flank and for the Growling Tigers

GOBB_Junior
09-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Tigers Prey On Maroons
by JP Abcede

University of Santo Tomas feasted on University of the Philippines, 77-61, at the Araneta Coliseum on September 2. Garbage time came early for UST coach Pido Jarencio, who opted to start reinforcements Rum Perry Scott, June Dizon, and Francis Allera along with Mel Gile and Anthony Espiritu in the second half. Allera

GOBB_Junior
09-05-2007, 01:35 AM
UAAP Season 70 Awards and Final 4 Prediction

Current standing as of today

1. UE Red Warriors 12-0
2. Dela Salle Green Archers 9- 3
3. Ateneo De Manila Blue Eagles 7-4
4. University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers 7-5

My prediction

1. UE Red Warriors - 13-1
2. Dela Salle Green Archers 10-4
3. UST Growling Tigers - 9-5
4. ADMU Blue Eagles- 9-5

Season 70 Individual Awards

With only a few games written on the pages of UAAP Season 70 history, the UAAP saw some early upstarts, ones who are doing extremely well that they will surely be candidates at the Most Valuable Player award if it were awarded today.

Their strong performances in their first games, if they maintain it, may very well buy them a bid at a shot at the most coveted prize for an individual in the league.

Here are the top players from this UAAP Season

http://www.collegiatechampionsleague.com/ust-jru/3.jpg

Most Valuable Player of the Year: Jerby Cruz, UST Growling Tigers

2007 UAAP Stats

16.4 PPG, 15.6 RPG, 1 APG, 1.4 BPG, Efficiency Rating: 24.9

http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/player.aspx?id=3813

UAAP Season 70 Mythical 1st team

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/UAAP1.jpg

1. Center, Jerby Cruz- He is the most dominant player in this years tournament, the 6'4 powerhouse is leading the UAAP in the rebounding department with an average of 15.6 RPG and currently 3rd in scoring behind Patrick Cabahug's 22.3 PPG and Jonathan Fernandez 18.0 Clips in the tournament. The Sophomore Tigers also impressed alot of scouts this year by consistently averaging a double double in the 1st and 2nd round of the Season. He is one of the main reason the Tigers are probably making it to the Final four for the 2nd consecutive season and are ready to defend their UAAP Championship, which they won againts Ateneo last year.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/UAAP3.jpg

2. Small Forward, Edwin Asoro- the 4th year UAAP veteran is having yet another remarkable season, averaging a double-double perfomance this season. Asoro is the prototype forward of the UAAP, who can do all the job on the floor so that he can be both productive in both side of the game.

2007 UAAP Stats

12.8 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 1.4 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.7 BPG

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/MarkB.jpg

3. Power Forward, Mark Borboran- one of the oldest player in the UAAP roster, the 6'4 Mark Borboran is one of the main reason that the UE RED Warriors are on a roll going for a sweep in this season by winning all the game in the elimination round and currently they are on top of the standings with 12 wins -0 loses. Among all the players from UE he is probably the most consistent scorer and rebounder so far.

2007 UAAP Stats

11.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 1.7 APG, 0.7 BPG, 1 SPG

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/UAAP2.jpg

4. Shooting Guard, Patrick Jan Cabahug- although the Adamson Falcons are the one of the worst team in the Tournament due to the departure of Ace big men Ken Bono, who was drafted by the Alaska Aces in last months PBA Rookie Draft. PJ Cabahug prove that he is the main man of this team by leading the league in scoring with career average of 22.3 PPG.

The 22 yrs.old gunner from Cebu is one of the most exciting player in the UAAP today. He can shoot from the outside and can also penetrate inside the lane with his athletic ability.

2007 UAAP Stats

22.3 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 1 APG, 0.3 BPG, 0.7 SPG, Efficiency Rating: 16.8

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/UAAP4.jpg

5. Point Guard- JV Casio- there is no denying that whenever he steps on the hardcourt, the pace of the game will certainly heat up. He is certainly one of the best Point Guard in the UAAP today. After Lasalle came back from a one year suspension. The 5'9 Casio start to put some memorable game in the 1st round of the tournament.

Currently he is averaging 15.2 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 3.3 APG, 0.2 BPG and 1.2 SPG, he almost put an amazing triple double perfomance againts the NU Bullddogs last weekend with mind boggling numbers of 19 Points, 9 rebound and 8 assists. This officially confirmed that since LA Tenorio and Marvin Cruz are gone from the UAAP that means JV Casio is the best Point Guard today.

Honorable lists

C- Ford Arao
F- Rico Maierhofer
F- Jonathan Fernandez
G- Marcy Arellano
G- TY Tang

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/Legend_Stopper/UAAP3.jpg

Defensive Player of the Year: Edwin Asoro, NU

This is one tough award to give out. No one in this current season has really stood out as a defensive presence just the same as he did it last year. In fact, I could also give this out to the , Mark Borboran of UE RED Warriors, or even my pick for MVP Super Sophomore Jervy Cruz of the UST Tigers. However, I

Lebron23
09-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Panalo FEU 72 -70 NU

ang galing ni JR Cawaling definitely he is the future of our National team.

21 Points, rebounds and 5 assists, he is the prototypical tall PG and this young man has the game to be someday become the best UAAP player of this generation.

trig
09-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Ei lebron, I believe its Jervy not Jerby

Lebron23
09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Santo Tomas Trashes Adamson
by JP Abcede

More than University of Santo Tomas’ necessary and expected 74-62 victory against Adamson University, the story of the afternoon is the rumble in the jumble for pivotal spots going into the playoff round.

But to finish off the main story first, June Dizon’s jumper at 4:41 of the fourth quarter was the Growling Tigers’ farthest gap, 66-47.

Jervy Cruz led Santo Tomas with 24 points, all of them coming from the field for 80% shooting, and also fishing for 18 rebounds, two assists, and two steals. Dylan Ababou was the other double digit scorer with 11 and eight.

USTe grabbed an astonishing 60 boards, going along with 16 assists, six blocks, 18 fastbreak points, and 20 second chance points, despite hitting 27 errors and 30 fouls.

Jerick Canada and Patrick Cabahug were both tied for topscoring honors with 12 markers. Cabahug shot a dismal 4/22 at the field. Jan Colina and Roel Hugnatan had 11 each.

The Soaring Falcons were just firing bricks everywhere, going 1/13 at the three-point field, while making only 38% of their two-point attempts and 35% of their freethrows.

“Hindi pinaguusapan ang standing,” UST coach Pido Jarencio virtually echoing the same statements he made the last time he was interviewed after the game. “Alam mo naman tayo laging naka-ready.”

The outcome of the UST’s battle against Far Eastern University on September 13 would determine some pieces of the puzzle as a Tamaraw win would cause the two tied for fourth place with eight wins and six losses. If ever the Tigers win and both Ateneo de Manila University and De La Salle University drop their final projects, there would be a three-way logjam for second spot at 9-5.

“Pinagdadasal ko manalo team ko. Pinoproblema ko team ko,” Jarencio said. Once when playoff time comes and they are still in the fight, then they would let the other teams be troubled by the defending champs.

http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1412

Lebron23
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Ateneo Sweeps La Salle In Elims
by JP Abcede

It took a difference of a millisecond between losing and, probably, winning as Rico Maierhofer held the ball a little longer than necessary at the buzzer as Ateneo de Manila University escaped De La Salle University, 89-87.

Yuri Escueta drove and attracted the defense then kicked the ball out to a waiting Chris Tiu at right quarter court :17.8 to go for the marginal basket. With ample time for one more play, Casio missed a fadeaway jump shot from 15 feet with Maierhofer attempting to send the game into overtime but in vain.

Lebron23
09-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Jervy up ahead in MVP race

By Ian Brion
Business Mirror
September 17, 2007

http://www.varsitariansportsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/jervy-cruz.jpg

While his team is on the brink of a failed title-retention campaign, Jervy Cruz is on the verge of solidifying his tag as the top collegiate player in the country today by becoming the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 70 men

Lebron23
09-17-2007, 04:19 AM
UST Tigers are just tearing down the FEU Tamaraws, score 48-27 in the early part of the 3rd period. ( Men's Basketball Rubber Match Game for 4th: FEU vs UST (September 17, 2007)

USTE 48 - 27 Tamaraws

Lebron23
09-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Khasim Mirza hit the 3 points shoot and Marcel Baracael with and1 situation their.

UST 60- FEU 38

Lebron23
09-17-2007, 04:38 AM
UST will be going into the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead as Chester Taylor score the last bucket for the Growling Tigers.

End of 3rd quarter

UST 63- 43 FEU Tamaraws

Lebron23
09-17-2007, 04:58 AM
This is a cardiac ball game as 1:07 remaining in the ball game, UST 76-FEU 66. The Tamaraws actually outscored UST in the 4th quarter 22-12 with several 3 pointers courtesy of Sanga, Baracel and Cawaling.

Lebron23
09-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Congratulations to the UST Growling Tigers for finally defeating the FEU Tamaraws, 80-69.

HQ Player of the Game

Japs Cuan 8 Points, 9 rebs, 8 assists

Another impressive performance for league MVP Jervy Cruz, who scored 18 Points and grab 14 rebounds.

UST advance to the next round to face the loser of the ateneo-lasalle match up tomorrow...

trig
09-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Jervy Jervy Jervy

Lebron23
09-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Tigers Peg Fourth Slot

by JP Abcede

The Far Eastern University Tamaraws let go in the middle quarters to have University of Santo Tomas formally advance into the stepladder series, the defending champions winning, 80-69, on September 17 at the Araneta Coliseum where the shrill of the crowd had the power of over 9000.

The Growling Tigers limited FEU to six points in the second quarter, while Dylan Ababou received the spheroid at the side for a three-point basket and largest deficit, 59-35, 2:50 of the third.

"Buhay na naman kami. Kapag gipitan, mas masarap manalo," remarked UST head coach Pido Jarencio. "Ang Tigre mabagsik kapag playoff."

Jervy Cruz, who had the crowd chanting "MVP", showed his worth with 17 points, 5/11 at the field, 7/7 at the line, and 14 rebounds. Anthony Espiritu went for 12 markers, two assists, and two steals.

Ababou and Khasim Mirza had identical stats of 11 points, four boards, and a block. Japs Cuan had a near triple-double of eight markers, nine rebounds, eight feeds, and six turnovers.

Jarencio's driving force to his wards were, "Wala ng bukas. Ayaw ko pang mag-bakasyon."

Reil Cervantes was thrown out with 17 points on 7/11 shooting, nine caroms, and eight errors. Mac Baracael made 15, seven, and four feeds.

This is just the beginning of the struggle for the Tigers, who would next go against the loser of the Ateneo de Manila University and De La Salle University tug of war for the twice-to-beat to be held on September 18 at the Big Dome on 3pm.

FEU surprised the hosts with a 14-7 boost to begin the hostilities, with Baracael putting it in, 4:56 of the first period.

Espiritu's quick reverse midway of the second gave UST the lead for good, 25-23, 5:20. The black and gold then limited the Tams scoreless for four and a half minutes, while they built a 39-25 halftime pad with Ababou credited for seven of the points in that 14-2 blast.

With the Espa

Lebron23
09-19-2007, 11:30 AM
God Bless my alma mater the UST Growling Tigers

Viva Santo Tomas

Beat ateneo in this do or die game.

http://basketball.exchange.ph/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/Ateneo%20vs%20UST%20logo%20basketballexchange-ph.png

Lebron23
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Jervy Jervy Jervy

In Jervy We Trusts

Jervy Cruz is possibly one of the greatest big men to ever played in the UAAP since the Enrico Villanueva days in ateneo. He might not be as tall as some of the other Center in the UAAP but he made up for his basketball IQ and the ability to remain consistent the whole season.

JazzyBully
09-19-2007, 08:26 PM
im hot

Lebron23
09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
UAAP Men's Basketball Do or Die Game

Sunday, September 23

ARANETA

3pm

UST vs ADMU

GO USTE, GO USTE, GO GO GO

http://static.flickr.com/79/249024551_4f36f76f74.jpg

Back to Back UAAP CHAMPION!!!

Lebron23
09-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Ateneo Beat UST 69-64 to advance into the Semi Final round againts the Delasalle Green Archers.

Lebron23
09-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Babawi tayo sa next PBL Conference sa pagkakaalam ko meron team ang UST na mag rerepresent sa Philippine Basketball League. This time kasama na si Season 70 UAAP MVP Jerby Cruz and dun sana nila ipakita na ang UST pa rin ang meron pinakamalaki puso sa lahat ng Amateur team dito sa Pilipinas.

Sana meron tayo ma recruit na magaling na player sa Team B natin and wish ko lang si Justin Chua sa UST maglaro next year.

Wala na pala sina Japs Cuan, Jun Cortez, Jun Dizon and Espiritu yun na yata ang last UAAP Game nila kanina. Maraming salamat guys for making our university proud in the 5 yrs. of your UAAP Career.

Translation: UST will comeback and redeem themselves in the Philippine Basketball League and next year we will definitely bounce back in the title picture.

Lebron23
09-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Sons of cage greats doing great in UAAP

By Joey Villar
Philippine Star

Monday, September 24, 2007

The ongoing UAAP high school basketball title showdown between arch rivals Ateneo de Manila and La Salle-Zobel is also a showcase of the sons and grandson of former cage stars and icons who once ruled the game in their glory days.

Ateneo, for instance, has four

Lebron23
09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
UST sticking with Jarencio

Coach says he failed the Tigers

By Jasmine W. Payo

Inquirer
Last updated 02:15am (Mla time) 09/25/2007

MANILA, Philippines -- Tears welled up in his eyes at the sound of the final buzzer.

And it turned out to be a gut-wrenching scene when coach Pido Jarencio, bent down, tried to compose himself as his assistants gave him consoling pats on the back.

The pained expression remained when Jarencio headed for the dugout as the UAAP season came to a painful close for the defending champion University of Santo Tomas Tigers on Sunday.

Lebron23
09-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Zobel Secures Crown In OT

by JP Abcede

De La Salle Zobel achieved something many believed they could not do, defeating Ateneo High School in overtime, 98-92, to sweep the finals and grasp the UAAP juniors basketball trophy on September 29 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium.

Jed Manguera tied the count, 82-all, with a three-point basket, finding himself free at left quarter-court, with just exactly two seconds left, the pass coming from Marco Fortuna. The Junior Archers then stringed a 7-0 run, finished by a Joshua Webb putback of his own miss plus a foul from Juami Tiongson to boot, 93-86, 1:58.

Lebron23
10-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Cruz becomes first Tiger MVP in 12 yrs

By Joey Villar

http://www.varsitariansportsmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/jervy-cruz.jpg

Jervy Cruz, who helped power University of Santo Tomas to its first UAAP crown in a decade last season, bagged this year’s MVP plum to become the first Tiger to win the coveted crown in 12 years.

The 21-year-old Cruz, who has blossomed into one of the league’s most formidable post-players and a vital cog in the RP team competing in this year’s SEA Games, will be named the Season 70 MVP in simple rites in Game 2 of the ongoing UAAP final between La Salle and University of the East.

“I’m happy,” the soft-spoken 6-foot-4 Cruz, a third year commerce student and a native of Nanticuan, Nueva Ecija, yesterday told The STAR in Filipino.

“But I would have been happier though had we won the title again,” added Cruz.

After a near improbable title run last year, the Tigers fell short of their bid this time, bowing to Ateneo in a Final Four showdown for the right to face La Salle for the No. 2 spot.

The last Tiger to win the MVP honors was Chris Cantonjos in 1995.

Cruz averaged 16.7 points to finish behind Adamson Falcon Patrick Cabahug’s 21.3 and National U Bulldog Edwin Asoro’s 17.6 while recording the league best 15.4 rebounds in spearheading the Tigers to the Final Four for the second year in a row.

Cruz, a first round pick by the Lina Group of Companies in the recent PBL rookie draft, said he hopes to win the gold medal next in the Southeast Asian Games.

“I hope we’ll win the gold,” Cruz said.

Cruz was way ahead in statistics with overall statistical points of 75.86, which comprised half of the criteria used in selecting the MVP.

Cruz also earned the nods of his co-players and the media to seal the highest individual plum.

Comprising the First Mythical squad are Cruz, La Salle’s Rico Maeirhofer and JV Casio, Ateneo’s Chris Tiu and University of the East’s Mark Borboran.

Tiu and Borboran reportedly eased out Cabahug and National U’s Edwin Asoro, who were coming in second and third places, respectively, in statistics, through player and media votes.

http://uw.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=94834

Lebron23
10-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Cruz has come a long way

By: Gerry Ramos
People's Journal
October 6, 2007

The Santo Tomas stalwart player who once spent four years buried deep in the Tigers’ Team B roster is now the certified best player of the UAAP men’s basketball tournament’s season 70.

Jervy Cruz, the soft-spoken but ferocious frontcourt man of UST, emerged the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of college basketball’s premier league, capping a season he dominated by emerging as the tournament’s top rebounder and third leading scorer.

While the 6-foot-5 sophomore center failed to steer the Tigers to a back-to-back championship, the individual honor was more than gratifying for the former Our Lady of Sacred Heart Academy high school star who almost left the Pontifical University after being relegated to UST’s second unit for quite a long time.

“Muntik na rin akong umalis dahil naiinip na rin ako nung time na `yun,” said the 21-year-old Cruz, who first tried out for the Tigers when the multi-titled Aric del Rosario was still the main man at the UST bench.

“For four years lagi lang akong nasa Team B,” recalled the commerce student from Nueva Ecija, adding he was tempted to try his luck with the Jose Rizal Heavy Bombers in the NCAA but never got to make the grade. “Nung dumating kasi ako dun (JRU) puno na rin sila dahil halos mag-i-start na `yung season.”

Left with no option, he came back, stayed on and persevered with the Tigers, a move that eventually bore fruit when Pido Jarencio – his third coach with UST after del Rosario and Nel Prado – elevated him to the regular roster in 2006.

Cruz’s rookie season proved to be very memorable as he played a key role in UST’s successful title campaign, beating the Ateneo Blue Eagles in a best-of-three finals that went the full route as the Tigers won their first championship in 10 years.

This season, Cruz undoubtedly emerged as UST’s go-to-guy on both ends of the floor, averaging a league-best 15.4 rebounds and 16.8 points. He is also no. 4 in block shots, averaging 1.4 per game.

The UST big man posted 11 double-doubles in 16 games this season - the most by any player – to finish on top of the statistical race with 75.86 points.

The impressive numbers were more than enough for Cruz to garner majority of the votes from players, coaches and media men as deserving MVP over Adamson’s Patrick Cabahug and National U’s Edwin Asoro, who emerged second and third, respectively in the statistical race.

The statistical points comprised 60 percent of the MVP race while the remaining 40 percent is divided among the players, coaches and media votes.

Lebron23
10-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Congratulations to Rey Guevarra for winning the 2007 Bantay Bata Slamdunk Competition

UP Vicmel Epres/Martin Reyes.

2 -3 ball competition champion

JV Casio

3-pt Shootout Champion!