PDA

View Full Version : Most embarassing 3 - 1 lead blown

Nike D'Antoni
09-17-2020, 06:07 PM
What is most embarassing 3 - 1 lead blown .

1981 Eastern Conference Finals - Celtics over Sixers
Celtics Won the NBA Finals

1995 Western Conference Semifinals - Rockets over Suns
Houston Rockets ended up Wining the NBA Finals; first time a team won 2 away games from the 1-3 deficit.

1997 Eastern Conference Semifinals - Heat over Knicks
A players' fight in Game 5 resulted in the suspension of several key Knicks players, including Ewing, Houston, and Ward for Game 6, and Starks and Larry Johnson for Game 7 in Miami

2003 Eastern Conference First Round - Pistons over Magic
First year the first round expanded to a best-of-seven series

2006 Western Conference First Round - Suns over Lakers

2015 Western Conference Semifinals - Rockets over Clippers

2016 Western Conference Finals - Warriors over Thunder

2016 NBA Finals - Cavaliers over Warriors
The first time a 3–1 deficit has been overcome in the NBA Finals; Golden State also had the NBA's best-ever regular season record of 73–9 and were considered heavy favorites to win the title; second time a team won 2 away games from the 1–3 deficit

2020 Western Conference First Round - Nuggets over Jazz
2020 Western Conference Semifinals - Nuggets over Clippers
First NBA team to ever come back from 1–3 deficit back to back in a playoff run; third team to win 2 games as the designated road team during the comeback; Second blown 3–1 series lead in Clippers franchise history and second such blown lead in five years; only the Philadelphia 76ers (13) and Phoenix Suns (25) have blown 3–1 series leads within a 10 year span or more

Axe
09-17-2020, 06:09 PM
2016 comes out on top and it's still the most embarrassing of all-time.

fsvr54
09-17-2020, 06:34 PM
2016 Warriors over Thunder.

OKC completely stopped playing winning ball that had them up in the first place the last 3 games.

francesco totti
09-17-2020, 06:38 PM
Maybe it is the most recent thing, so it is in our minds and we have forgotten what went back in other series.
But I go with Clippers - Nuggets, it is just not 3 - 1 lead blown.But 19, 16, and 12 point leads in each of games 5 6 & 7 that were blown too. Add to it all the media hype about Clippers.

Warriors at least blew 3 - 1 lead to Lebron friggin James. LEBRON just went nuts .

tontoz
09-17-2020, 06:42 PM
Maybe it is the most recent thing, so it is in our minds and we have forgotten what went back in other series.
But I go with Clippers - Nuggets, it is just not 3 - 1 lead blown.But 19, 16, and 12 point leads in each of games 5 6 & 7 that were blown too. Add to it all the media hype about Clippers.

Warriors at least blew 3 - 1 lead to Lebron friggin James. LEBRON just went nuts .

I agree. It should also be noted that the Clippers didn't have any injury issues that would cause them to blow the lead. Remember that the Nuggets were missing Barton who started 58 games this season.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-17-2020, 07:08 PM
1. 2016 warriors. 1 win away from ring and back to back rings

2. 2016 thunder 1 win away from finals and possibly changing the legacy of playoff Durant

Nobody else comes close to those two. 2020 clippers just lost a game 7 series to a tough 2nd round matchup, like spurs did to mavs in 2006. Plus the bubble conditions are rough.

dreamshake
09-17-2020, 07:29 PM

Warriors at least blew 3 - 1 lead to Lebron friggin James. Silver just went nuts .

Correction.

SouBeachTalents
09-17-2020, 07:50 PM
It's obviously either '16 or this recent one, very good debate imo. '03 Magic & '06 Lakers have no business being in this discussion :lol It's always a bad look to lose a 3-1 lead, but I'm not gonna penalize a huge underdog for overachieving and pushing their opponent to the limit

Tobio-Star
09-17-2020, 07:57 PM
2020 Clippers are at the very top.

4 all-star caliber players led by the modern MJ, highly favorites to win it all, were supposed to be a mix between the Bulls and the KD Warriors-> blows a 3-1 lead to a team led by a 23 yr old that was supposed to lose in 5 max.

Tobio-Star
09-17-2020, 07:59 PM
Just the fact that they were blowing them out by 16+ by halftime in G5 and G6 makes it hands down the greatest chokejob of all time

LukeWalton
09-17-2020, 08:08 PM
theres some recency bias with the clippers game

but the 2016 warriors-cavs will go down in history as the worst one.
not only because it was the finals
but because it was the heavily favored team with the best win-record in NBA history

1987_Lakers
09-17-2020, 08:14 PM

but because it was the heavily favored team with the best win-record in NBA history

Draymond did get suspended for game 5, I knew the moment he got suspended it was going 7, yes it was a choke, but the Warriors lost to a formidable opponent.

The Clippers on the other hand had no business choking that lead, superior talent, up double digits in games 5 & 6 and blow it, blow another lead in game 7. I don't think I've ever seen an NBA team choke so bad to be honest.

2016 will be remembered more cause it was in the Finals, but the Clippers choke to me was bigger once you look at all the facts.

Shooter
09-17-2020, 08:44 PM
One was in the Finals with a 73-win GOAT team, and that team had the 1st and only Unanimous MVP ever.

Against all odds.

LukeWalton
09-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Draymond did get suspended for game 5, I knew the moment he got suspended it was going 7, yes it was a choke, but the Warriors lost to a formidable opponent.

The Clippers on the other hand had no business choking that lead, superior talent, up double digits in games 5 & 6 and blow it, blow another lead in game 7. I don't think I've ever seen an NBA team choke so bad to be honest.

2016 will be remembered more cause it was in the Finals, but the Clippers choke to me was bigger once you look at all the facts.

I think its not just that the clippers choked
but that the Nuggets are being very underestimated this year
just like the Heat and OKC

WhiteKyrie
09-17-2020, 08:49 PM
2006 Lakers? They were the vastly inferior team and much lower seed? They shouldn’t have even been up 3-1 to begin with

J Shuttlesworth
09-17-2020, 09:03 PM
2016 is tempting because they were a 73 win team with unanimous MVP, and all the talk "He got his feelings hurt I guess"

but 2020 takes it. Clippers being the hyped team talking all the trash about the Lakers with shots like "This is his city" and all that stuff. Pat Bev with all the talk, and Marcus Morris yelling "You're going home" to Milsap. They played like a bunch of divas, and their stars choked big time in game 7 after giving up double digit leads 3 games in a row.

And of course, the pressure of the Clippers franchise assembling their best team in history to beat the Lakers, and not even making it to the WCF :lol:

Shooter
09-17-2020, 09:06 PM
2016 is tempting because they were a 73 win team with unanimous MVP, and all the talk "He got his feelings hurt I guess"

but 2020 takes it. Clippers being the hyped team talking all the trash about the Lakers with shots like "This is his city" and all that stuff. Pat Bev with all the talk, and Marcus Morris yelling "You're going home" to Milsap. They played like a bunch of divas, and their stars choked big time in game 7 after giving up double digit leads 3 games in a row.

And of course, the pressure of the Clippers franchise assembling their best team in history to beat the Lakers, and not even making it to the WCF :lol:

Kawhpitulate with that good ol'game 7, 1 for 13 classic

Classic Kiwi :lol 1/13

dreamshake
09-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Probably 2010 Celtics choking a 3-2 series lead over the Lakers in the finals. Probably 2010 Celtics choking a 3-2 series lead over the Lakers in the finals. In the series, Paul Pierce was famously quoted for saying “We ain’t going back to LA” after Celtics got an early lead in the series. Then they lost the last two games and came back to LA :roll:

Shooter
09-17-2020, 09:11 PM
Probably 2010 Celtics choking a 3-2 series lead over the Lakers in the finals. Probably 2010 Celtics choking a 3-2 series lead over the Lakers in the finals. In the series, Paul Pierce was famously quoted for saying “We ain’t going back to LA” after Celtics got an early lead in the series. Then they lost the last two games and came back to LA :roll:

Shut up fakkit go root for the Pelcians with AirHead Pac

Roundball_Rock
09-17-2020, 11:01 PM

This, plus GS had the only unanimous MVP in history.

Axe
09-17-2020, 11:03 PM

At least some warrior stan admits it

Stanley Kobrick
09-18-2020, 02:12 AM
it seems most agree stephen curry has the most embarrassing blown 3-1 lead. very interesting

J Shuttlesworth
09-18-2020, 02:21 AM
Kawhpitulate with that good ol'game 7, 1 for 13 classic

Classic Kiwi :lol 1/13

1/13 :roll::roll:

Basketball r Us
09-18-2020, 02:24 AM
Clippers. That sorry team blew double digit leads in all the closeout games. That was never done before. Warriors had their airhead PF suspended for being a douche...

Gougou
09-18-2020, 03:14 AM
Clippers, the team that is favorited to win the chip this year blowing 3-1 lead is the worst. You have PG, one of the MVP candidate last year, and Kawhi, most people that treat him like the best player in the NBA.

They literally lose to a young hungry Nuggets team, each game also losing more than 10 points lead.

2016 OKC vs Warrior, both team are on top of their game, and OKC can't stop game 6 Klay was the problem.

2016 Warriors vs Cavs, that lead shifts back to Cleveland, were Lebron and Kyrie put on a show and take over, both team are incredibly talented and the Warriors have to beat the best player on the planet.

Meanwhile this year the Clipper supposted to be the heavily favorite over Nuggets but they just can't seal the deal.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-18-2020, 03:25 AM
OKC were heavy underdogs. Most didnt even think theyd beat the Spurs

this goes to Warriors/Cavs or Clips/Nuggets. Since there was suspension and Adam Silver tinkering along with injury issues for the first series im going with Clips/Nugs

Clips were -1300 to win one of the heaviest favorites to lose in the past 20 years. Its not like Denver got lucky and squeaked out wins. They flatout dominated the last 3 games and Murray even said they were gonna do it and they did

Game 7 they completely folded and shit the bed too

pauk
09-18-2020, 05:43 AM
I dont know how this is even close with Cavs vs Warriors being on there.... NBA Finals, defending champions....

ImKobe
09-18-2020, 05:52 AM
I dont know how this is even close with Cavs vs Warriors being on there.... NBA Finals, defending champions....

Suspension, injuries..

ArbitraryWater
09-18-2020, 06:27 AM
2006 Lakers? They were the vastly inferior team and much lower seed? They shouldn’t have even been up 3-1 to begin with

He merely listed all occasions it happened

Doranku
09-18-2020, 07:37 AM
Overall it's the 2016 finals.

But for an individual player? It doesn't get any more embarrassing than blowing a 3-1 lead, shooting 10-31 in your last home game, then joining the team you blew a 3-1 lead to in the offseason.

TheCalmInsanity
09-18-2020, 08:42 AM

Lol this 100%

I'm a Clippers fan and hate the choke that just happened.. But it was a choke to get into the WCF vs a choke in LITERALLY championship closeout games where one win would get you an NBA title... no contest here

TheAnchorman
09-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Cavaliers over Warriors in 2016 still #1 here because of the context involved, nothing more needs to be said here.

There should be 2nd and 3rd place votes similar to an MVP though, if I had those votes I would pick Nuggets over Clippers in 2020, and my 3rd place goes to Rockets over Clippers WCSF in 2015. Bro, losing game 6 to Josh Smith and Corey Brewer is inexcusable.

hold this L
09-18-2020, 09:02 AM
Cavaliers over Warriors in 2016 still #1 here because of the context involved, nothing more needs to be said here.

There should be 2nd and 3rd place votes similar to an MVP though, if I had those votes I would pick Nuggets over Clippers in 2020, and my 3rd place goes to Rockets over Clippers WCSF in 2015. Bro, losing game 6 to Josh Smith and Corey Brewer is inexcusable.

In terms of importance, it's 100% the 2016 one. New rivalry born, the other team came back from 2-1 the previous year.

2020 is just embarrassing in terms of what happened. Much earlier, much weaker opponent, led in the doubles for each of the 3 games. This will be something funny to remember down the line, 2016 is immortalized.

Phoenix
09-18-2020, 09:12 AM
It's obviously either '16 or this recent one, very good debate imo. '03 Magic & '06 Lakers have no business being in this discussion :lol It's always a bad look to lose a 3-1 lead, but I'm not gonna penalize a huge underdog for overachieving and pushing their opponent to the limit

The only thing really 'embarrassing' about that was Tmac's proclamation that it was nice to finally get out of the first round. Worse thing to do is give the other team fuel and though it can't be proven otherwise, all the energy shifted to the Pistons after that and Orlando couldn't seal it. Big time egg on face moment. Otherwise yeah, Magic really had no business being up 3-1 to begin with.

SouBeachTalents
09-18-2020, 09:41 AM
The only thing really 'embarrassing' about that was Tmac's proclamation that it was nice to finally get out of the first round. Worse thing to do is give the other team fuel and though it can't be proven otherwise, all the energy shifted to the Pistons after that and Orlando couldn't seal it. Big time egg on face moment. Otherwise yeah, Magic really had no business being up 3-1 to begin with.
McGrady struggled badly those final 2 games in Detroit, including a brutal Game 7, but he put them in a great position to steal both games in Detroit to open the series, doing this in Game 2

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2002260447270092.png

But as you can see, literal WOAT level support. If his team doesn't waste his 46 point outing with that dogshit performance, that's a series the Magic could've very well ended up sweeping

Phoenix
09-18-2020, 09:45 AM
^ Yeah, I agree. 46 points out of 77 total, a literal one man carry job. :biggums:

Nike D'Antoni
09-18-2020, 06:08 PM
I keep watching this, and I am still in disbelief https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1307060678038093825

Wally450
09-18-2020, 07:09 PM
McGrady struggled badly those final 2 games in Detroit, including a brutal Game 7, but he put them in a great position to steal both games in Detroit to open the series, doing this in Game 2

But as you can see, literal WOAT level support. If his team doesn't waste his 46 point outing with that dogshit performance, that's a series the Magic could've very well ended up sweeping

Lmao, good lord.

Whoah10115
09-18-2020, 07:20 PM
The Warriors to the Cavs, even with the wrongful suspension of Green, the subsequent injury to Bogut, and the amazing performance by LeBron, is still absurd. They did it to themselves, they were smelling themselves. They ended up soft.

OKC series isn't comparable, cuz Warriors were a different tier of better.

Clippers bad.

But rough when T-Mac enjoys being in the second round, then isn't...that's rough.

Shogon
09-18-2020, 07:23 PM
How was 2016 embarrassing?

Here are the facts for that series...

The Warriors were up 3 to 1... Draymond gets suspended for game 5. Draymond comes back and plays extremely timid in game 6 because he knows he ****ed up game 5.

At that point, it's a 1 game series and anyone's game and still comes down to 1 shot.

If Draymond had not been suspended, I would 100% wholeheartedly agree that the 2016 Finals was the most embarrassing. But given how it played out? Nah.

Now... how much they got roasted afterward is probably the funniest shit ever, but lol.

NBAGOAT
09-18-2020, 07:49 PM

weaker era in terms of strong teams tbf but wade's and kobe's help was never close to this bad lol

SouBeachTalents
09-18-2020, 07:59 PM
weaker era in terms of strong teams tbf but wade's and kobe's help was never close to this bad lol
The '06/'07 Lakers & '09/'10 Heat were extremely weak, Kobe at least had Odom, but those Magic teams were literally the worst supporting cast I've ever seen for a superstar

Nike D'Antoni
09-25-2020, 01:57 AM
After what I saw from Denver vs Lakers, it is definitely Warriors vs Cavs.

aj1987
09-25-2020, 03:01 AM

This. Also, the Thunder choking against the Warriors. These two are basically 1a and 1b.

Stanley Kobrick
09-25-2020, 04:06 AM
stephen curry running away with the most votes at 25

dankok8
09-25-2020, 06:16 PM
There are three more missing from the poll:

1979 ECF - Bullets over Spurs
1970 WDSF - Lakers over Suns
1968 EDF - Celtics over Sixers

BigtimeNBAFan
09-25-2020, 06:37 PM
Based on expectations the Clippers loss to the Nuggets this year. Few people on planet earth had the nuggets winning that series. They are the biggest underdog to ever win down 3-1.

Other embarrassing one was the Clippers letting Josh Smith destroy them in 2015.

Celtics 1825
09-26-2020, 02:17 AM
2016 Thunder for blowing a 3-1 lead to a team that blew a 3-1 lead in the next round

TheCorporation
09-26-2020, 09:48 AM
One was in the Finals with a 73-win GOAT team and that team had the 1st and only Unanimous MVP ever.

Against all odds.

Shooter got the haters spinnin

:dancin

LeElevate :bowdown:

dankok8
09-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Looking at all of the comebacks in the OP, the following aren't embarrassing much at all because the better team won.

2006 Western Conference First Round - Suns over Lakers
2003 Eastern Conference First Round - Pistons over Magic
1997 Eastern Conference Semifinals - Heat over Knicks

I wouldn't considering Rockets over Suns in 1993 and Celtics over Sixers in 1981 very embarrassing either because these two teams won titles and the winning teams are considered very good teams even historically. 2006 with Cavs coming back on the Warriors also has a mitigating factor of injuries/suspensions. Not that it completely absolves the 73-win Warriors but it softens the blow a little bit. It also partly excuses the OKC collapse to GS in 2006. Maybe if they got the same breaks the Cavs did, they would have gotten to the Finals? Nuggets over Jazz isn't embarrassing for Utah at all considering they aren't that good of a team and the Nuggets did the same thing to the Clippers after.

That leaves these two as my finalists:

2020 Western Conference Semifinals - Nuggets over Clippers
2015 Western Conference Semifinals - Rockets over Clippers

Clippers losing to the Rockets in 2015 was quite bad especially with Harden sitting on the bench and Josh Smith just styling on them. Clippers losing to the Nuggets this year was arguably the worst although if the Nuggets at least push the Lakers to 7 or beat them the narrative could change. If Nuggets were to win the title, the Clips would be absolved for this year.

For me it's a tie between Clippers 2015 and Clippers 2020. Hard to choose to be honest.

fsvr54
09-26-2020, 04:53 PM
The 2016 Thunder is by far the worst of all time. No other one comes close. It's shocking that it's not winning the poll by a landslide.

Nike D'Antoni
09-26-2020, 05:50 PM
There are three more missing from the poll:

1979 ECF - Bullets over Spurs
1970 WDSF - Lakers over Suns
1968 EDF - Celtics over Sixers

I avoided putting ones before the 1980s.

houston
09-26-2020, 08:06 PM
2020 Clippers top this list with Thunder 2016

TheCorporation
09-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Which one was in the Finals?
Which one had a team with 73 games and lose the chip?
Which one had the unanimous MVP lose?

Sorry fellas

https://i.postimg.cc/MGR4Fm7m/GOATchipalltime.jpg

LBJFTW
09-26-2020, 08:45 PM
One was in the Finals with a 73-win GOAT team, and that team had the 1st and only Unanimous MVP ever.

Against all odds.

How can the 73 win team be a goat team if they didn’t even win the finals?

Lebron23
09-26-2020, 09:41 PM
How can the 73 win team be a goat team if they didn’t even win the finals?
They got beat by the greatest player of all time.

And1AllDay
09-26-2020, 10:20 PM
They got beat by the greatest player of all time.

+1

list a team with more wins then 73 idiots :oldlol: