PDA

View Full Version : The same way luka proves bird would be good today.Bam proves Bill Russell would be..

Im so nba'd out
09-18-2020, 02:13 AM
good today.

Good players will adjust to any era.Bill would dominate today...so would wilt so would bob petite so would elgin baylor....same way if you took curry or durant and dropped them in the '60s, they would dominate.

Ben Simmons in 2020....all star (without shooting jumpers)
Zach Randolph in mid-2010s playoffs....dominated

wake up people

light
09-18-2020, 03:12 AM
good today.

Good players will adjust to any era.Bill would dominate today...so would wilt so would bob petite so would elgin baylor....same way if you took curry or durant and dropped them in the '60s, they would dominate.

wake up people

Are there people that think Russell wouldn't find a way to be good today?

I thought the consensus was that most of the all time greats would find a way to be great in any era.

Marchesk
09-18-2020, 03:59 AM

I thought the consensus was that most of the all time greats would find a way to be great in any era.

Yes, there are people who think Jordan would be average today. Mostly the younger, ignorant fans who just started watching a few years ago. But occasionally you get some media head talking about how evolved modern athletes are compared to the previous generations. I forget which radio show it was, but they were talking about the evolution of the game and how stiff Bird and McHale looked on the old video.

And sometimes YT comments on videos about how good old era stars were.

solar.hands
09-18-2020, 04:11 AM
Yes, there are people who think Jordan would be average today. Mostly the younger, ignorant fans who just started watching a few years ago. But occasionally you get some media head talking about how evolved modern athletes are compared to the previous generations. I forget which radio show it was, but they were talking about the evolution of the game and how stiff Bird and McHale looked on the old video.

wtf :lebroncry:
you can put those 2 on pingpong and theyd still be hall of famers. :lebroncry:

Clifton
09-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Good point, OP, about Bill Russell. I don't really have anything to add to it. I'm glad you made it. Bam as a comp for him had never occurred to me, but the mobility, attitude, and toughness: yes. Russell superior in every respect, of course.

I've had the thought. Not that he wouldn't be "good," but that he wouldn't be an obvious top 3-5 player.

ralph_i_el
09-18-2020, 09:31 AM
good today.

wake up people

Ben Simmons is a net-negative as an offensive player.

Gudo
09-18-2020, 09:32 AM
Imagine how good elgin baylor would be today

ralph_i_el
09-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Which is nuts, because McHale looks way smoother than modern bigs with his footwork.

Phoenix
09-18-2020, 09:36 AM
Bill Russell would not be the same player today in terms of skillset. These arguments rarely take into account that every era of player develops skills to leverage the rules of the day. Nobody was shooting 3's in the 60's because.....there was no 3point line so why would that shot be in the average player's arsenal? If Russell was coming along today his game would be based off modern sensibilities and not how the game was played back in 1960.

TheCorporation
09-18-2020, 09:40 AM
Bois slow down, per WelfarFan himself he said Kevin Love = Kareem, meaning an 80s top 1 player = 2020 top 50 player.

His IQ is rather low, please spare my son :lol