PDA

View Full Version : What do the Clippers do now?

oldtimer28
09-18-2020, 02:31 AM
Lots of bashing but not many Ive not seen many constructive changes (maybe I missed as lots of gloating.)

What does a good GM do now?

Me

Fire Doc, never liked his coaching before but he's had too many underachieving years (versus talented rosters) now to not be fired.

I would also overhaul the roster around Leonard. Probably George to as too tough to move, but I listen to offers.

Harrell and Lou are over-rated in my view so would sell high.

Basically, only untouchable would be Leonard.

What would be the best roster around Leonard? (and noting that is a win now choice).

bobopenguin
09-18-2020, 02:50 AM
Lots of bashing but not many Ive not seen many constructive changes (maybe I missed as lots of gloating.)

What does a good GM do now?

Me

Fire Doc, never liked his coaching before but he's had too many underachieving years (versus talented rosters) now to not be fired.

I would also overhaul the roster around Leonard. Probably George to as too tough to move, but I listen to offers.

Harrell and Lou are over-rated in my view so would sell high.

Basically, only untouchable would be Leonard.

What would be the best roster around Leonard? (and noting that is a win now choice).

why is kawhi untouchable?
u wont trade him for giannis? luka? harden?

Micku
09-18-2020, 03:04 AM
They just choked. They could keep the same roster if they want and do better next year. But it's more of a mindset of the players and the ability to perform. Change their mentality.

The only roster change they probably need is rim protection guy. They have Zubac, so the adjustment should be playing him more or get a person that could do it.

Doc arguable should go, but the Clips did choke. They missed shots that they should've made. No amount of coaching could change a miss wide open lay up or a miss dunk. The players have to come together. This depends on the leadership of the team. Maybe that's they need? More vets or leaders. I dunno. Regardless, they had the most talent in the league. They don't need to change anything except for their own mentality.

light
09-18-2020, 03:06 AM
Keep Doc. Keep Kawhi. They need to land Giannis. Make PG the third banana, where he belongs.

That's basically it.

ArbitraryWater
09-18-2020, 03:11 AM
Can they keep Jackson and Morris?

Those mid season moves basically made them OP.

NBAGOAT
09-18-2020, 03:31 AM
let jackson go trade for rose. might have to give up shamet but that's more than fine, they need some playmaking from pg

Axe
09-18-2020, 03:39 AM
Yeah, jackson is a good all-star. The clippers should never let him go at all costs in order to secure their very bright future.

Kblaze8855
09-18-2020, 03:42 AM
Not much. Leonard and Paul both have player options after next season, Lou is in the final year of his deal at the same time, and Montrez is a free agent this offseason.

They are a couple annoyed stars from being the Sterling Clippers again. Talk all you want about them losing in the second round...they are a team to be concerned about and a team that will be in the mix next year.

You just run it back.

Whatever minor moves are needed with the vets and all....do it. Bring Montrez back unless it would be like...insane money. And maybe even if it is. Ballmer has 80 billion....**** it. Try to win a title. If you win it next year get Leonard and George to sign back and go from there. If you dont its entirely possible all youre left with is an overpaid Harrell and a lot of cap space to get someone to make you respectable.

Whatever you do....you dont piss off Leonard or even George as much as you might mock him.

Miami can keep everyone who matters and still be 30+ million under the cap next summer. More if they let Dragic go. Not exactly sure how much now with covid but they have been prepping for Giannis to be a free agent next year for years. And if he doesnt come...you know Riley goes full court press after Kwahi.

Why annoy him and go back to being a joke franchise?

Run it back next year and see how it goes. Get Leonards input. Keep him happy. Thats all you can do. You cant even guarantee a title makes him happy enough to stay if you **** up his roster(as he may see it). He walked on one champion. He could do it again if the Heat get involved.

Marchesk
09-18-2020, 03:50 AM
Trade Kawhi for Giannis and PG for Harden. That should get the Clippers past the second round.

Basketball r Us
09-18-2020, 03:53 AM
Trade PG13 for a proven facilitator. PG13 folds on every team he played when the stakes gets bigger. A great regular season guy, but a fake come playoff time. Kawhi needs a facilitator to run that set offense during crunch time.

Marchesk
09-18-2020, 04:11 AM
Trade PG13 for a proven facilitator. PG13 folds on every team he played when the stakes gets bigger. A great regular season guy, but a fake come playoff time. Kawhi needs a facilitator to run that set offense during crunch time.

Westbrook doesn't shrink from the moment.

LukeWalton
09-18-2020, 05:39 AM
Demote Doc to assistant coach or let him go.
I guess from what is out there hire Billy Donovan.
PG13 had a near MVP season under him.. and Donovan bloomed with out having to deal with westbrook this year
he could do better this year with a stronger cast

HylianNightmare
09-18-2020, 06:42 AM
Run it back

KD7
09-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Blow. It. Up.

Turbo Slayer
09-18-2020, 09:22 AM
Try again.

Turbo Slayer
09-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Blow. It. Up. No. Clippers basically gave all of their future to OKC.

It makes no sense to blow it up. They need to try again next season.

oldtimer28
09-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Good posts all.

Luka is not getting traded.
Kblaze made a lot of sense.

Main issue for trying again without major changes for me though is that I don't think they fit as a champion team, but who knows.

rawimpact
09-18-2020, 09:39 AM
They're not winning next season. Some of their great signings came at a steep discount for a one year deal.
Ex. Reggie Jackson is worth more than 700k/year
Montrezl Harrel is expiring and is worth more than 6M/year
Are they going to resign Marcus Morris?

Remember, the Cap space is going to be cut huge next year.

I dont even know what the big players are going to sign for this offseason. A two year deal to get the max when economy gets better? who knows

hold this L
09-18-2020, 09:41 AM
Keep Doc. Keep Kawhi. They need to land Giannis. Make PG the third banana, where he belongs.

That's basically it.

In what planet, with what assets? :lol

rawimpact
09-18-2020, 09:43 AM
In what planet, with what assets? :lol

He's not the brightest poster here.

Whoah10115
09-18-2020, 09:44 AM
Main thing is that it's unjustifiable to bring back Rivers.

I think they need a PG. Someone to push and play a bit off ball. Whether you play somewhat smaller or not, it can't be George and Kawhi taking turns. The Heat had the two best players in the world, Bosh in a distant third on that team, and Chalmers did more than he's credited for. Beverly can't really run point on this team.

rawimpact
09-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Main thing is that it's unjustifiable to bring back Rivers.

I think they need a PG. Someone to push and play a bit off ball. Whether you play somewhat smaller or not, it can't be George and Kawhi taking turns. The Heat had the two best players in the world, Bosh in a distant third on that team, and Chalmers did more than he's credited for. Beverly can't really run point on this team.

Yeah but these superstars are almost up on their contract. If the clippers want to keep hope that they'll both resign they've got to win something. Do you think a coaching change will mean instant playoff improvement -- atleast the first year?

Secondly if they did get rid of Doc, who are you replacing him with?

LukeWalton
09-18-2020, 09:52 AM
They're not winning next season. Some of their great signings came at a steep discount for a one year deal.

I dont even know what the big players are going to sign for this offseason. A two year deal to get the max when economy gets better? who knows

I wonder if they can get Schroeder from the Thunders

Basketball r Us
09-18-2020, 09:56 AM
Yeah but these superstars are almost up on their contract. If the clippers want to keep hope that they'll both resign they've got to win something. Do you think a coaching change will mean instant playoff improvement -- atleast the first year?

Secondly if they did get rid of Doc, who are you replacing him with?

Yes, a coaching change will make a huge difference.

Anyone who has not blown 3-1 series leads multiple times.

Nuggets obviously played great, but watch again how Clippers lost the game. When Nuggets made their push, Clippers panicked. They stopped playing their set offense, instead played lots of one on one basketball. During crunch time, Doc had Morris, Zurbac, Green taking those big shots ? These are the reasons Doc has to go.

LukeWalton
09-18-2020, 10:12 AM
Yes, a coaching change will make a huge difference.

Anyone who has not blown 3-1 series leads multiple times.

Nuggets obviously played great, but watch again how Clippers lost the game. When Nuggets made their push, Clippers panicked. They stopped playing their set offense, instead played lots of one on one basketball. During crunch time, Doc had Morris, Zurbac, Green taking those big shots ? These are the reasons Doc has to go.

I also think the coach should definitely go.
but supposedly management is reluctant since there's only one year left on PG and Kawaii's contract and they're afraid to rock the boat
Doc is a Player's coach. popular with the players but doesnt seem to be a good X and O guy. and seems to be liked by PG and Kawaii.

hence why I think they should just demote him to assistant and get Donovan, who was PG's previous coach

Basketball r Us
09-18-2020, 10:27 AM
but supposedly management is reluctant since there's only one year left on PG and Kawaii's contract and they're afraid to rock the boat
Doc is a Player's coach. popular with the players but doesnt seem to be a good X and O guy. and seems to be liked by PG and Kawaii.

hence why I think they should just demote him to assistant and get Donovan, who was PG's previous coach

Hmmm....good point. Doc will likely stay.....

Jasper
09-18-2020, 10:29 AM
put Kawi as 3rd option like SPurs

StrongLurk
09-18-2020, 10:33 AM
They dont need to do anything. They will be the favorites to win next year.

When we get back to fans, homecourt advantage, travel, etc. we will see less parody than the current bubble.

Clippers would have won against Denver if they were able to use their homecourt advantage.

Basketball r Us
09-18-2020, 10:36 AM
They dont need to do anything. They will be the favorites to win next year.

When we get back to fans, homecourt advantage, travel, etc. we will see less parody than the current bubble.

Clippers would have won against Denver if they were able to use their homecourt advantage.

What if Nuggets have the HCA next year ? Boom, back to the drawing boards.

Charlie Sheen
09-18-2020, 10:39 AM
Keep Doc. Zubac needs to get better. Let him play more in the second half of games and let him learn how to play after he's in foul trouble. Only 23 but he's going into his 5th nba season. It's time to stop protecting him and see what he's got.

rawimpact
09-18-2020, 10:49 AM

LOL it would be an insult to demote Doc into an assistant. You'd get less backlash from firing him.

Whether you think he's a good or bad coach, you have to respect his experience

Roundball_Rock
09-18-2020, 11:44 AM

They can't afford three max salary players, though.

Plus they gave a decade's worth of draft picks to OKC so they can't use the draft to build depth (or get lucky with a star--Butler was the 30th pick and Jokic the 41st).

What if Nuggets have the HCA next year ? Boom, back to the drawing boards.

For all the hype, the Clippers and Nuggets traded 2nd/3rd place most of the year (Clippers were down to 4th at one point). There is no guarantee the Clippers get a top 2 seed next year. The Nuggets should be better, given Murray's growth, and the Lakers will still be there. It is likely the 2/3 series will be the Nuggets as the #2 and Clippers as the #3 next year.

If they care about HCA, Kawhi needs to start playing full-time, which he obviously won't.

Gohan
09-18-2020, 11:47 AM
why is kawhi untouchable?
u wont trade him for giannis? luka? harden?

Kawhi couldn’t lead that rockets team to a championship guaranteed

HBK_Kliq_2
09-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Lou/Harrell just have to go, at least 1 of them. Harrell is a free agent, so you just let him walk. Lou/Harrell 2 man lineup was -16.5. Its literally not possible to make the west finals with two players performing that poorly.

Beverly is a great defender but he's worthless offensively. So I would bring Beverly off the bench. You need to chase after a playmaking point guard and that should be #1 priority in off-season.

Finally, get a cheap defensive big like Ibaka or Marc Gasol.

Hopefully Doc can step down or get fired but as far as roster changes, that's it.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-18-2020, 02:33 PM
LOL it would be an insult to demote Doc into an assistant. You'd get less backlash from firing him.

Whether you think he's a good or bad coach, you have to respect his experience

14-27 in closeout games, worse all time for a head coach. Also the only coach to blow three different 3-1 leads.

NBAGOAT
09-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Lou/Harrell just have to go, at least 1 of them. Harrell is a free agent, so you just let him walk. Lou/Harrell 2 man lineup was -16.5. Its literally not possible to make the west finals with two players performing that poorly.

Beverly is a great defender but he's worthless offensively. So I would bring Beverly off the bench. You need to chase after a playmaking point guard and that should be #1 priority in off-season.

Finally, get a cheap defensive big like Ibaka or Marc Gasol.

Hopefully Doc can step down or get fired but as far as roster changes, that's it.

Ibakas going get 15 mil+. You’re dreaming about getting him cheap. Gasol will be cheap but might be done. Getting 20mpg from him would be great

Turbo Slayer
09-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Ibakas going get 15 mil+. You’re dreaming about getting him cheap. Gasol will be cheap but might be done. Getting 20mpg from him would be great Vets tend to be more expensive, especially championship vets. Plus, I think the Clippers are over the salary cap. Clippers could get Gasol for the min though.

NBAGOAT
09-18-2020, 04:17 PM
Vets tend to be more expensive, especially championship vets. Plus, I think the Clippers are over the salary cap. Clippers could get Gasol for the min though.

Gasols likely getting closer to the mle imo. I think warriors is a good option for him to play 20mpg if they trade the 2nd pick. He’s also rumored to go back to Europe where he be one of the higher paid players

HBK_Kliq_2
09-18-2020, 04:22 PM
Ibakas going get 15 mil+. You’re dreaming about getting him cheap. Gasol will be cheap but might be done. Getting 20mpg from him would be great

Damn Ibaka is only 31 years old. It feels like he's 36 years old. Perhaps he could take a pay cut to play with Kawhi, he seemed to like him. Gasol I would like to have around to mentor Zubac and split minutes with him. Doc seems to hate 7 footers though unless they are a proven star.

NBAGOAT
09-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Damn Ibaka is only 31 years old. It feels like he's 36 years old. Perhaps he could take a pay cut to play with Kawhi, he seemed to like him. Gasol I would like to have around to mentor Zubac and split minutes with him. Doc seems to hate 7 footers though unless they are a proven star.

Veterans who already have rings don’t take pay cuts.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Veterans who already have rings don’t take pay cuts.

Full MLE offer, gets to play with Kawhi who he won a ring with and likes, gets the starting power forward position which he prefers over playing center and coming off the bench.

I would rather pay Ibaka then Morris.

Hakkim90cc
09-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Trade george back to okc

Get chris paul back

?:biggums::confusedshrug:

Basketball r Us
09-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Trade george back to okc

Get chris paul back

?:biggums::confusedshrug:

OKC just stuck a finger.

Hakkim90cc
09-18-2020, 04:47 PM
OKC just stuck a finger.

Presti already ripped off all of their draft picks so yeah ur prolly right

Whoah10115
09-18-2020, 09:17 PM

So if they keep Doc and they underachieve again, they're less likely to opt out?

SATAN
09-18-2020, 09:23 PM
HBK is still here sucking off Kawit :biggums:

FireDavidKahn
09-18-2020, 09:23 PM
Maybe they can trade for James Harden