PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton: 1977 NBA Finals Highlights (Underrated? Could Jokic be this good?)

Round Mound
09-22-2020, 04:58 AM
Watching Bill Walton play is a pleasure and reminds of Jokic but with much better defense...

Is Bil Walton Underrated cause he did not last much? Jokic is the 2nd or 3rd best bigman in the game IMO (A.D and maybe Giannis over him)

Bill Walton's amazing stats for the series and final game:

Finals Series: 18.5ppg, 19 rpg, 5.2 ast, 3.7 blks per game in finals.

Game 6: 20 pts 23 rebs 9 assts 8 blks (swatted doc 4x).

:bowdown:

Lakers Legend#32
09-22-2020, 05:23 AM
Had he not gotten injured, Walton could have been the GOAT.

oldtimer28
09-22-2020, 05:53 AM
thread needs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wlpJjU0_yw

1987_Lakers
09-22-2020, 09:44 AM
I believe Jokic is a better offensive player than Walton, more range on his shot, an even better passer which is saying something. Because both were GOAT level passers you could easily build an offense around them, the only huge difference between the two is Walton in his prime was an all-time defender/rebounder while Jokic's defense isn't anything special.

I don't think people know how good Walton was on the defensive end, he was a better defender than a peak Kareem, many viewed his impact on that end similar to Bill Russell.

Whoah10115
09-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Giannis easily the best big man in the league.

Walton still the best passing and playmaking center ever. Jokic still has some ways to go.

Walton could have been best C ever. Easily a better defender than Kareem and overall better than Wilt from all that I can see. Also in the discussion for best hame IQ ever.

1987_Lakers
09-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Giannis easily the best big man in the league.

Walton still the best passing and playmaking center ever. Jokic still has some ways to go.

Walton could have been best C ever. Easily a better defender than Kareem and overall better than Wilt from all that I can see. Also in the discussion for best hame IQ ever.

Jokic has surpassed Walton as a passer, because of Jokic's outside shooting and ball-handling skills, he can pass while handling the ball up the court and pass from inside or outside the rim. Walton was mostly a high/low post passer with the Blazers, most of his great passes came with his back to the basket, Jokic beats you in more ways.

Dbrog
09-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Peak Walton is basically 2003 Tim Duncan so no...Joker will never be this for reasons mentioned here on the defensive end. Love watching old Walton though

Hakkim90cc
09-22-2020, 11:10 AM
Jokic has surpassed Walton as a passer, because of Jokic's outside shooting and ball-handling skills, he can pass while handling the ball up the court and pass from inside or outside the rim. Walton was mostly a high/low post passer with the Blazers, most of his great passes came with his back to the basket, Jokic beats you in more ways.

You don't think Walton would of benefitted from the spacing and athleticism in this era -passing wise- He'd probably have a 3pt shot too just like jokic.

Its too early to put jokic in between legends like Duncan and Walton. Not to mention these players were two way players while Jokic is all offense right now.

1987_Lakers
09-22-2020, 11:51 AM
You don't think Walton would of benefitted from the spacing and athleticism in this era -passing wise- He'd probably have a 3pt shot too just like jokic.

Its too early to put jokic in between legends like Duncan and Walton. Not to mention these players were two way players while Jokic is all offense right now.

We could only go by how Walton was as a player. We cant just assume he'd be a good 3 point shooter just because it's a different era, there are plenty of centers today who cant shoot.

We could already assume Jokic is a better passer than Walton, Walton only played 2 healthy seasons during his prime, rest of his career was riddled with injuries.

Hakkim90cc
09-22-2020, 12:37 PM
We could only go by how Walton was as a player. We cant just assume he'd be a good 3 point shooter just because it's a different era, there are plenty of centers today who cant shoot.

We could already assume Jokic is a better passer than Walton, Walton only played 2 healthy seasons during his prime, rest of his career was riddled with injuries.
Looking back at his ft% you're probably right...but still Walton played in an era where shooting jumpers was frowned upon for centers...

Its not an easy comparison thats for sure

pandiani17
09-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Walton was chosen as one of the Top 50 players in the history of the NBA and is in the Hall of Fame. Maybe he is underrated by you, but he is well-known and respected throughout the basketball community.

dankok8
09-22-2020, 03:07 PM
Lots of people called Walton the best player they ever saw. If he didn't get hurt who knows how good his career could have been.

Defensively, Walton was on a ridiculously high level. Comparable to Bill Russell according to testimonies.

Gotterdammerung
09-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Walton won at every level before he joined the NBA, and won the title in his second season, and was MVP in his third.

Somewhat premature to compare Jokic to an all-time great just yet.
:no:

1987_Lakers
09-22-2020, 05:47 PM
Walton was chosen as one of the Top 50 players in the history of the NBA and is in the Hall of Fame. Maybe he is underrated by you, but he is well-known and respected throughout the basketball community.

I've said many times if Walton was healthy he would have gone down as a top 15 player ever, I would even have him on my all-time team just because of his defense & passing. Of course, I don't think Jokic will ever reach to Walton's peak level, but as far as passing is concerned I feel Jokic has passed him.

It's actually pretty crazy Jokic has played more NBA games than Walton did as a Blazer, just shows you how short Walton's peak was.

Round Mound
09-22-2020, 07:06 PM
I forgot to add the Walton highlights of that series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeI6ypgtP0

LiLharvard
09-22-2020, 08:38 PM
I forgot to add the Walton highlights of that series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeI6ypgtP0

Awesome highlights dude. Really enjoyed watching this!