PDA

View Full Version : Lue and Jeff Van Gundy the favorites for Clipper job?

Kblaze8855
09-29-2020, 10:43 AM
Jeff is a surprise. As much as he’s mentioned I didn’t think anyone would pull the trigger. I would like to see his totally 90s approach in today’s league. Not that it would be the same I mean...I want to see how he changes it. He would barely let his teams run no matter the personnel.

Shogon
09-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Both names have been mentioned in the Doc fired thread. Duplicate discussion. Needs to be merged.

mods?

guy
09-29-2020, 10:50 AM
How is JVG always in these discussions? He's not coached in literally 13 years. Hubie Brown is the only guy I can remember with that much time in between. Anyone else?

Shogon
09-29-2020, 10:50 AM
On a serious note I'd take Van Gundy over Lue in a heartbeat.

The only thing the Clippers need to know about next season is this... load management is bullshit. And it's bullshit for everyone except Kawhi Leonard. Kawhi has a degenerative condition. He'll never be 100% again. You have to let the guy rest. He couldn't even handle a 7 game series with every other day off this year without starting to hobble. He'll never be healthy again.

Shogon
09-29-2020, 10:51 AM
How is JVG always in these discussions? He's not coached in literally 13 years. Hubie Brown is the only guy I can remember with that much time in between. Anyone else?

I responded to this in the other thread but I'll post it for you again...

Couple things at play here... one of them is the fact that the media loves to throw shit to the wall and see what sticks. Need not look further than that, as it pertains to them.

The second thing is the number of working aged guys that have NBA head coaching experience is limited and the NBA teams love to recycle former NBA head coaches. And why do they do that? These GMs have jobs, most of said GMs are stupid, because most people generally speaking are stupid, and so naturally, they're afraid to lose their jobs. And if you're operating from a position of trying to hold onto your job, what are you going to do? Go with an unknown name that's never been an NBA head coach? Or try to go after someone that everyone knows so you can get a short term approval boost in terms of how you're doing your job and hope things work out going forward?

Vino24
09-29-2020, 12:24 PM
I don’t care for any of these guys. The nba sure does love the revolving door of absolute shit coaches. Nurse and Stevens are an absolute blessing and speaks volumes that they are already the cream of the crop

HBK_Kliq_2
09-29-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm over both the gundy brothers and feel they have both had plenty of chances.

Lou is ok but I rather avoid a guy who just got fired 8 games into the season like 2 years ago. Plus he's a doc assistant, so you want the team under a completely new voice.

It's hard to find young coaches to take chances on though. Erik spoelstra was trained by Pat Riley to just be the Filipino version of him, so that's rare. Hopefully clippers can find a GEM out there.

Maybe call Phil Jackson and see if he's interested? Seems like wishful thinking though.

I think clippers have no clue who is their favorite right now, lue/gundy are just media favorites.

Kblaze8855
09-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Jeff has had plenty of chances? He’s only coached 2 teams and one went to the finals as an 8th seed. He’s only had 1 bad team and Yao and Tmac both missed half that season.

jayfan
09-29-2020, 12:55 PM
I don't see Ty Lue getting that job. Balmer didn't fire Doc to hire a guy Doc hired to assist him just a year ago.

A splash like Van Gundy seems the likely direction.

A Nick Nurse assistant is another possibility.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-29-2020, 12:59 PM
Jeff has had plenty of chances? He’s only coached 2 teams and one went to the finals as an 8th seed. He’s only had 1 bad team and Yao and Tmac both missed half that season.

But he hasn't made it out of the 1st round in like 20 years, there comes a point where you have to move on from a guy. Teams would of given him a chance by now.

Jeff's rockets were a 3 ball chucking team as well, as far as I remember. So I don't think he really has a defensive grind mindset, he just happened to coach the Knicks.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-29-2020, 01:03 PM
I don't see Ty Lue getting that job. Balmer didn't fire Doc to hire a guy Doc hired to assist him just a year ago.

A splash like Van Gundy seems the likely direction.

A Nick Nurse assistant is another possibility.

I would rather have JVG then Lou because its a different voice at least. JVG just hasn't coached in so long, its hard to form an opinion on him at this point.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Chauncey Billups said about a month ago how he wants a head coaching job. He's also clippers main color commentary guy. Maybe give him a chance.

If there's any assistant that you hire, I feel its Sam Cassell. His iq seemed extremely high from what I seen. But he may not get a chance because he was a Doc guy.

starface
09-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Ty Lue :lol

jayfan
09-29-2020, 02:21 PM
If I owned a team, I'd call Rondo to see how many more years he wants to play. Based on his answer, I'd bring him in as either coach or player/coach.

No joke.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-29-2020, 02:27 PM
If I owned a team, I'd call Rondo to see how many more years he wants to play. Based on his answer, I'd bring him in as either coach or player/coach.

No joke.

He should be starting PG for clippers instead.

HBK_Kliq_2
09-29-2020, 02:29 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-Cavaliers/nba/cavaliers/nba-amico/phil-jackson-clippers-make-sense

Phil would be the perfect fit. He can bring the triangle to clippers and maximize Kawhi's talents. Onky problem is he's so damn old and beat up physically.

George Karl maybe?

Time will tell..

Lakers Legend#32
09-29-2020, 04:34 PM
Please hire Mark Jackson and get him off TV.

BigtimeNBAFan
09-29-2020, 05:07 PM
I'm over both the gundy brothers and feel they have both had plenty of chances.

Lou is ok but I rather avoid a guy who just got fired 8 games into the season like 2 years ago. Plus he's a doc assistant, so you want the team under a completely new voice.

It's hard to find young coaches to take chances on though. Erik spoelstra was trained by Pat Riley to just be the Filipino version of him, so that's rare. Hopefully clippers can find a GEM out there.

Maybe call Phil Jackson and see if he's interested? Seems like wishful thinking though.

I think clippers have no clue who is their favorite right now, lue/gundy are just media favorites.

Yes Lue was fired 6 games into the season, but that was 6 games removed from coaching a team that went to the Finals. Considering how the Cavs have done since firing Lue, hard to argue they were on the right side in that situation. Kevin Love also was injured for some of those 6 games and didn't play.

Lue had the respect of Lebron and would have the respect of Kawhi.

oldtimer28
09-30-2020, 03:23 AM
Please hire Mark Jackson and get him off TV.

Clippers new coaching staff please!

Mark Jackson
JVG
Doris
Webber
Miller
Breen

iamgine
09-30-2020, 03:27 AM
Becky Hammon should be the new coach