PDA

View Full Version : Ty Lue signs five-year deal to become the next coach of the Los Angeles Clippers

lilteapot
10-15-2020, 02:30 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1316807495088734209?s=21

Billups is lead assistant coach

FireDavidKahn
10-15-2020, 02:33 PM
Damn.

Kawhit resorting to LeBron's former coaches to help him win a 'chip.

tpols
10-15-2020, 02:35 PM
:roll:

Ainosterhaspie
10-15-2020, 02:36 PM
Poor Kawhi. Goes from legend Pop, to Nurse, to Rivers to No Clue Lue. Steady decay in coaching quality.

Goldrush25
10-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Shoulda took the Pelicans job. That Clippers locker room is a mess.

ArbitraryWater
10-15-2020, 02:38 PM
Great coach, I've been told.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 02:39 PM
Is lue really that bad? He has never been given a chance as head coach. At least Lue comes back from 1-3 instead of blows 3-1. They also hired Chauncey Billups as lead assistant and I like that move.

Ainosterhaspie
10-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Great coach, I've been told.
He's not. Players like him. He comes up with good after time out plays. Those are his limited strengths. He's not adaptable. He has no offensive or defensive system or ingenuity. He is poor with rotations, game planning and adjustments in game or in series.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Poor Kawhi. Goes from legend Pop, to Nurse, to Rivers to No Clue Lue. Steady decay in coaching quality.

What has nurse ever done without Kawhi? Especially to be put in the same sentence as Pop? He has one 2nd round exit without kawhi and his team was pathetic offensively in the series. One miracle .5 second shot from being down 0-3 as well. Nurse isn't anymore proven then Lue.

scuzzy
10-15-2020, 02:47 PM
championship coaching, wow

BigKobeFan
10-15-2020, 02:48 PM
Race based hirings are never the answer

pandiani17
10-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Is lue really that bad? He has never been given a chance as head coach. At least Lue comes back from 1-3 instead of blows 3-1. They also hired Chauncey Billups as lead assistant and I like that move.

Lue is still in his starting phase as a coach, which means that he hasn't developed game-planning and adjustment abilities like other more proven coaches (Spoelstra is one example of how a coach can improve throughout the years). As they have said, he is good for locker room chemistry and he gets along with the players, but this is not what this teams needs right now, as we saw with Doc. If I was Lue I would have taken another job (if it was offered) as a head coah of a rebuilding/middle of the pack team, improve his capabilities as the years go by and then jump into a contender.

AirTupac
10-15-2020, 02:50 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahh 5 years with TY LUE!!!!!!!!!! LMFAOOOOO

Keno
10-15-2020, 02:59 PM
clippers taking a big L, only lebron can carry garbage coaches

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Lue is still in his starting phase as a coach, which means that he hasn't developed game-planning and adjustment abilities like other more proven coaches (Spoelstra is one example of how a coach can improve throughout the years). As they have said, he is good for locker room chemistry and he gets along with the players, but this is not what this teams needs right now, as we saw with Doc. If I was Lue I would have taken another job (if it was offered) as a head coah of a rebuilding/middle of the pack team, improve his capabilities as the years go by and then jump into a contender.

Lue came back from 1-3 vs Steve Kerr. That would be considered outcoaching somebody by typical standards. Lue is typecasted because he's the goof who got stepped over by Iverson? Or LeBron is on his team? LeBron fired that white Russian coach and hired Tye Lue to replace him? So LeBron also saw something in Lue.

Lead assistant Billups will help him a lot, one of the smartest players ever.

Lebron_James
10-15-2020, 03:07 PM
Clippers are ****ed forever.

Anfernee
10-15-2020, 03:10 PM
Lue is the only available coach that has won a chip over the last 10 years so I guess that's the reasoning. I don't expect much from this team now, however. Getting Billips is the better news.

pandiani17
10-15-2020, 03:29 PM
Lue came back from 1-3 vs Steve Kerr. That would be considered outcoaching somebody by typical standards. Lue is typecasted because he's the goof who got stepped over by Iverson? Or LeBron is on his team? LeBron fired that white Russian coach and hired Tye Lue to replace him? So LeBron also saw something in Lue.

Lead assistant Billups will help him a lot, one of the smartest players ever.

To begin with, Iverson is my all-time favorite player (I know he is not appreciated in this board), I saw those finals and Lue played really, really well against AI. Secondly, LeBron saw in him somebody easier to manipulate than Blatt, who was not going to obey him all the time. That's why he was the Coach of those Cavs. As I said, he is not a finished product, he will improve with the years, but right now the Clippers need a more veteran, proven coach.

Basketball r Us
10-15-2020, 03:30 PM
Yikes...Lue had been an assistant with the Clippers when those Clippers were blowing those playoff series..... I guess Balmer wants to continue the tradition !!

Goldrush25
10-15-2020, 03:34 PM
Lue is the only available coach that has won a chip over the last 10 years so I guess that's the reasoning. I don't expect much from this team now, however. Getting Billips is the better news.

I don't think Lue is far enough away from the culture that caused the underachievement. But do agree that bringing Chauncey in is a positive for them.

Trollsmasher
10-15-2020, 03:38 PM
lmao ty lue is pretty much a redux doc, down to the dead fish look

more of an ego and politics manager than a coach

can't coach defense at all and had like 4 non-basic plays on offense which all depended on LeBron passing the ball

these primadonas could use someone like Obradovič but that's obviously never going to happen:lol

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 03:40 PM
To begin with, Iverson is my all-time favorite player (I know he is not appreciated in this board), I saw those finals and Lue played really, really well against AI. Secondly, LeBron saw in him somebody easier to manipulate than Blatt, who was not going to obey him all the time. That's why he was the Coach of those Cavs. As I said, he is not a finished product, he will improve with the years, but right now the Clippers need a more veteran, proven coach.

Lue won a ring as head coach, that is proven. Also took a terrible cavs team to finals in 2018. Did he have LeBron? Yeah but Phil Jackson also had Jordan/Kobe/Shaq. Every title coach has great players. I don't think Lue can possibly be as bad as Doc either, so I'm ok with it.

Lue can handle the offense and Billups can handle the defense.

Lebron_James
10-15-2020, 03:47 PM
Lue won a ring as head coach, that is proven. Also took a terrible cavs team to finals in 2018. Did he have LeBron? Yeah but Phil Jackson also had Jordan/Kobe/Shaq. Every title coach has great players. I don't think Lue can possibly be as bad as Doc either, so I'm ok with it.

LUE & Doc are literally the same, same coaching same vision same philiosophy.
You might have as well kept Doc.

Trollsmasher
10-15-2020, 03:47 PM

now I am LeBron-stan prone to stanning hyperboles but that was so completely, 100%, "the rest of the team combines to be worse than replacement players", done by LeBron alone that it can't be used as a serious argument

it's not like he made any adjustments from that terrible regular season - the defense was still dreadful and the offense depended wholly on LeBron playing 1 on 5 for as many minutes as he could

highwhey
10-15-2020, 03:53 PM
this man just finessed a professional basketball organization out of millions of dollars https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjlol.png

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 03:53 PM
now I am LeBron-stan prone to stanning hyperboles but that was so completely, 100%, "the rest of the team combines to be worse than replacement players", done by LeBron alone that it can't be used as a serious argument

it's not like he made any adjustments from that terrible regular season - the defense was still dreadful and the offense depended wholly on LeBron playing 1 on 5 for as many minutes as he could

Phil Jackson had Jordan Pippen Shaq Kobe. I still don't see your point.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 03:55 PM
LUE & Doc are literally the same, same coaching same vision same philiosophy.
You might have as well kept Doc.

You're just saying that because they are both black. Phil Jackson wasn't the same as Doug Collins because he was his assistant.

Lebron_James
10-15-2020, 03:56 PM
You're just saying that because they are both black. Phil Jackson wasn't the same as Doug Collins because he was his assistant.

:facepalm

SouBeachTalents
10-15-2020, 04:01 PM
Kawhi really might've been better off staying in Toronto. The Clips are so talented they can obv still win a title, but I just don't get this hire at all

Kiddlovesnets
10-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Its a downgrade from Doc Rivers lol, but at least not as terrible as Mike Brown. A title contender team should not consider hiring a black coach unless they dont really care about winning, its been proven again and again(Funny thing is, Doc is already the best black coach you can find in the league). If you bow down to political correctness, it only jeopardizes your chance of winning the trophy.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 04:39 PM
Kawhi really might've been better off staying in Toronto. The Clips are so talented they can obv still win a title, but I just don't get this hire at all

Tye lue came back from 1-3 against a 73 win team. Before your "LeBron was playing" argument" comes in, Phil Jackson had 3/10 greatest players of all time and Pippen!

So Lue at least deserves a chance with a team that doesn't have Tristin Thompson as their best player.

Also the lack of competition: Jeff Van Dummy was the other leading candidate lol

AirTupac
10-15-2020, 04:47 PM
Tye lue came back from 1-3 against a 73 win team. Before your "LeBron was playing" argument" comes in, Phil Jackson had 3/10 greatest players of all time and Pippen!

So Lue at least deserves a chance with a team that doesn't have Tristin Thompson as their best player.

Also the lack of competition: Jeff Van Dummy was the other leading candidate lol

I dont even read most of your posts. You are really fvcking retarded dude. You got Ty Lue for 5. No one with a brain thinks this is a good hire. Shut the fvck up trash bin.

r0drig0lac
10-15-2020, 04:57 PM
imagine being one of the richest people in the world and choosing Lue as a coach :facepalm

Dbrog
10-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Idk why teams don't pick up coaches that did something with almost nothing. Like that Sacramento coach from a couple years ago...their team was dogshit and though they didn't make the playoffs, he had em playing well. Much better than someone like Lue

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:02 PM

That's true. Maybe this helps Kawhi not blow a 3-1 lead in the future.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:04 PM
I dont even read most of your posts. You are really fvcking retarded dude. You got Ty Lue for 5. No one with a brain thinks this is a good hire. Shut the fvck up trash bin.

Based on what? An 8 game sample size with Jr Smith as his star?

Lue just gets hate because the pro LeBron fans/Klutch are brainwashing everybody to think that LeBron doesn't need a coach. The fact is, lue is a champion as coach and beat a 73 win team.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:05 PM
That's true. Maybe this helps Kawhi not blow a 3-1 lead in the future.

Well if you put him in the bubble with a depressed co star, lose despite him leading all players in GmSc. That will happen.

Ainosterhaspie
10-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Phil Jackson had Jordan Pippen Shaq Kobe. I still don't see your point.

Phil Jackson also developed a system and had good ideas about running offense and defense. He knew how to adjust game to game and even work the refs and the league in his favor with statements between games. He didn't just give Jordan the ball and watch what happened. LeBron fans watched Lue for years and couldn't stand him because he was close to useless. The only thing he could come up with on offense was that he wanted the team to play fast. LeBron left and same thing. That was still his big strategy. He had nothing else.

And it was a bad strategic decision to go that way. The Warriors were the main competetion and its not like there was any chance of running them off the floor. The Cavs were superb offensively in 2017 (in spite of Lue, not because of him) and got run off the floor by GS. His big plan played directly into the Warriors strength. Not only that, but you have an old LeBron and a plodding Kevin Love as two of your starters. Most of the rest of the roster were aging veterans too. I what world is that roster going to effectively maintain a high pace and keep up with fresh young legs, especially after deep playoff runs every year. Kawaii needs rest, but Lue will probably trot out we're going to be an up tempo team yet again and ruin Kawhi's leg.

After play fast, Lue was fresh out of any ideas on offense other than give LeBron the ball and hope something good happens. The Cavs defense got worse every year under Lue and he Lue did nothing to correct it. My memory here is fuzzy, but I think he had some sort of system he wanted to run, it just sucked and didn't work with the available personnel, but as is his nature, he's unable to adapt, just stuck with it and the result was a defense that was actually really good under Blatt, steadily eroding into league wide joke status. By 2018, LeBron didn't even bother on that end anymore. There was no point. Defense needs five guys working well together, but Lue had turned it into a complete dumpster fire. LeBron goes to LA and his defense improved immediately first year and then even more this year with actual competent coaching.

Clippers might be able to brute force a title or two on pure talent, but it's going to have very little to do with Lue's coaching if that happens. More likely, they get steadily worse under his clueless direction. Maybe they'll be lucky and Billips will be in the background making things work, but after watching Lue for three years in Cleveland, I have zero confidence that he can manage to be a decent coach.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:11 PM
Well if you put him in the bubble with a depressed co star, lose despite him leading all players in GmSc. That will happen.

Excuses. They built a 3-1 lead with this 'depressed' co-star and then chocked it away, led by Kawhi's 6/22 in game 7.

RRR3
10-15-2020, 05:17 PM
Excuses. They built a 3-1 lead with this 'depressed' co-star and then chocked it away, led by Kawhi's 6/22 in game 7.
6/22 in a game 7? As a LeBron fan I can’t imagine my favorite player doing anything like that in an elimination game. Yikes.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:20 PM
Phil Jackson also developed a system and had good ideas about running offense and defense. He knew how to adjust game to game and even work the refs and the league in his favor with statements between games. He didn't just give Jordan the ball and watch what happened. LeBron fans watched Lue for years and couldn't stand him because he was close to useless. The only thing he could come up with on offense was that he wanted the team to play fast. LeBron left and same thing. That was still his big strategy. He had nothing else.

And it was a bad strategic decision to go that way. The Warriors were the main competetion and its not like there was any chance of running them off the floor. The Cavs were superb offensively in 2017 (in spite of Lue, not because of him) and got run off the floor by GS. His big plan played directly into the Warriors strength. Not only that, but you have an old LeBron and a plodding Kevin Love as two of your starters. Most of the rest of the roster were aging veterans too. I what world is that roster going to effectively maintain a high pace and keep up with fresh young legs, especially after deep playoff runs every year. Kawaii needs rest, but Lue will probably trot out we're going to be an up tempo team yet again and ruin Kawhi's leg.

After play fast, Lue was fresh out of any ideas on offense other than give LeBron the ball and hope something good happens. The Cavs defense got worse every year under Lue and he Lue did nothing to correct it. My memory here is fuzzy, but I think he had some sort of system he wanted to run, it just sucked and didn't work with the available personnel, but as is his nature, he's unable to adapt, just stuck with it and the result was a defense that was actually really good under Blatt, steadily eroding into league wide joke status. By 2018, LeBron didn't even bother on that end anymore. There was no point. Defense needs five guys working well together, but Lue had turned it into a complete dumpster fire. LeBron goes to LA and his defense improved immediately first year and then even more this year with actual competent coaching.

Clippers might be able to brute force a title or two on pure talent, but it's going to have very little to do with Lue's coaching if that happens. More likely, they get steadily worse under his clueless direction. Maybe they'll be lucky and Billips will be in the background making things work, but after watching Lue for three years in Cleveland, I have zero confidence that he can manage to be a decent coach.

Such a biased post. LeBron gets all the credit when his team wins. Lue gets all the blame when LeBron doesn't want to play defense. How about LeBron just rather coast on defense in 2018 because he knows his team isn't contenders anymore without Irving?

Lue never makes adjustments but he came back from down 1-3 vs 73 win warriors? You're basically calling Steve Kerr a complete moron.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:23 PM
Excuses. They built a 3-1 lead despite this 'depressed' co-star and then chocked it away, by Kawhi's 36 points and 12 BPM in game 5.

Good post Phoenix. I knew you had it in you.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:24 PM
Such a biased post. LeBron gets all the credit when his team wins. Lue gets all the blame when LeBron doesn't want to play defense. How about LeBron just rather coast on defense in 2018 because he knows his team isn't contenders anymore without Irving?

Lue never makes adjustments but he came back from down 1-3 vs 73 win warriors? You're basically calling Steve Kerr a complete moron.

You should recognize this behaviour, since you give Kawhi all the credit for going up 3-1 on Denver and none of the blame for losing 3 straight after that.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:25 PM
I'm a trolling fakkit

Don't beat yourself up.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:28 PM
6/22 in a game 7? As a LeBron fan I can’t imagine my favorite player doing anything like that in an elimination game. Yikes.

Kawhi leads all players in GmSc and didn't get outscored by Jason Terry in the finals.

Does Tye Lue cry to the media after a finals loss? Like Spo did this year hahaha what a Bit*h

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:30 PM
Kawhi was 1/11 and 6/22 for 14 points in game 7. I'm also a retard.

Good post, HBK_Klit. I knew you had it in you.

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:34 PM
You should recognize this behaviour, since you give Kawhi all the credit for going up 3-1 on Denver and none of the blame for losing 3 straight after that.

Kawhi led all players in GmSc on both teams. LeBron's teammate Davis led all players in GmSc vs nuggets. That's a big difference. How long am I going to have to babysit your brain? You're the doc rivers of this forum.

RRR3
10-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Good post, HBK_Klit. I knew you had it in you.
Dude puffed out his chest for months about Kawhi being the GOAT and somehow thought we would let him get away with it when Kawhi pooped his pants when the going got tough :oldlol:

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Dude puffed out his chest for months about Kawhi being the GOAT and somehow thought we would let him get away with it when Kawhi pooped his pants when the going got tough :oldlol:

You never said they would be playing in the Mickey mouse prison bubble. Spoiled Paul George couldn't handle it, not Kawhi's fault.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:39 PM
Kawhi led all players in GmSc on both teams. LeBron's teammate Davis led all players in GmSc vs nuggets. That's a big difference. How long am I going to have to babysit your brain? You're the doc rivers of this forum.

What was his GmSc in game 7? BTW you're also the biggest jizzrag on ISH, as voted by your peers.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:41 PM

He's clearly a major Bukkake fan. Dude's been getting jizzed on for a month straight and keeps coming back.

RRR3
10-15-2020, 05:43 PM
He's clearly a major Bukkake fan. Dude's been getting jizzed on for a month straight and keeps coming back.
I still can’t believe he said Kawhi was better than MJ, LeBron and Kareem.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 05:45 PM
I still can’t believe he said Kawhi was better than MJ, LeBron and Kareem.

Dude couldn't even beat 7'1 Brian Windhorst. :lol

RRR3
10-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Dude couldn't even beat 7'1 Brian Windhorst. :lol
Pathetic :lol

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 06:00 PM
Dude couldn't even beat the prison bubble and mickey mouse hoops that turn Murray into Stephen Curry. :lol

Its not as easy as you think. Anybody can go off on those damn hoops and that's why stars numbers were exaggerated. Add that with Paul Georges depression, Doc Rivers idiotic coaching. No player in history would of won in Kawhi's shoes. LeBron is the only other top 10 GOAT who has experienced the bubble.

RRR3
10-15-2020, 06:05 PM
Its not as easy as you think. Anybody can go off on those damn hoops and that's why stars numbers were exaggerated. Add that with Paul Georges depression, Doc Rivers idiotic coaching. No player in history would of won in Kawhi's shoes. LeBron is the only other top 10 GOAT who has experienced the bubble.
Bitch you literally told us Kawhi was the GOAT. Now he’s not top 10? :roll:

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Bitch you literally told us Kawhi was the GOAT. Now he’s not top 10? :roll:

I said no other top 10 GOAT has experienced the bubble, meaning I was putting Kawhi in my top 10.

This is all part of Kawhi's big plan to take over LA anyway. Kawhi takes LeBron's old coach and eliminates him on his own home court? Kawhi is going for the ultimate embarrassment on LeBron and wants fans to be in attendance to watch it. Just wanted to wait until fans back before he cripples Legrandpa.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-15-2020, 06:18 PM
Could be worse tho don't know how much of an "upgrade" this is.

Then again who else is available?

JVG had his fair share of runs, and has been out of the game for a minute, but I still think he would be an elite coach today.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 06:30 PM
Kawhi went 6/22 in Mickey Mouse hoops, while Jamal Murray turned into Steph Curry:lol

Man, Kawhi got outplayed by a third year player who didn't even make the all-star team in game 7? Tragic.

Phoenix
10-15-2020, 06:31 PM
I said no other top 10 GOAT has experienced the bubble, meaning I was putting Kawhi in my top 10.

This is all part of Kawhi's big plan to take over LA anyway. Kawhi takes LeBron's old coach and eliminates him on his own home court? Kawhi is going for the ultimate embarrassment on LeBron and wants fans to be in attendance to watch it. Just wanted to wait until fans back before he cripples Legrandpa.

Was part of that plan going 6/22 in game 7?

red1
10-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Was part of that plan going 6/22 in game 7?

Ainosterhaspie
10-15-2020, 07:44 PM
It's not about shifting blame from LeBron or credit to LeBron. Spoelstra, Blatt and Vogel are good coaches. I'll give them props. I don't think it diminishes LeBron in any way to do so. And I don't think it elevates LeBron to dump on crappy coaches like Walton and Lue. There's no agenda here. Lue is a bad head coach for all the reasons I stated above. That comeback happened because LeBron and Kyrie went nuclear. About the only thing I could point to that Lue did was dump Dellavadova from the rotation because he was a disaster against the Warriors ever since he cramped up in 2015. And like I said, he drew up good after time out plays for what that's worth. But watching three years of his work, no, he is not a very capable head coach. And you'll find many, many Cavs fans, not LeBron fans mind, Cavs fans who will share that opinion.

Tobio-Star
10-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Between Kyrie undermining his coach's authority and this, is LeCinco already a done deal?

AirBonner
10-15-2020, 07:54 PM
Its a downgrade from Doc Rivers lol, but at least not as terrible as Mike Brown. A title contender team should not consider hiring a black coach unless they dont really care about winning, its been proven again and again(Funny thing is, Doc is already the best black coach you can find in the league). If you bow down to political correctness, it only jeopardizes your chance of winning the trophy.

That is generally true. But give it a couple years and Rondo will change your mind. His IQ is off the charts

HBK_Kliq_2
10-15-2020, 08:04 PM
It's not about shifting blame from LeBron or credit to LeBron. Spoelstra, Blatt and Vogel are good coaches. I'll give them props. I don't think it diminishes LeBron in any way to do so. And I don't think it elevates LeBron to dump on crappy coaches like Walton and Lue. There's no agenda here. Lue is a bad head coach for all the reasons I stated above. That comeback happened because LeBron and Kyrie went nuclear. About the only thing I could point to that Lue did was dump Dellavadova from the rotation because he was a disaster against the Warriors ever since he cramped up in 2015. And like I said, he drew up good after time out plays for what that's worth. But watching three years of his work, no, he is not a very capable head coach. And you'll find many, many Cavs fans, not LeBron fans mind, Cavs fans who will share that opinion.

His 2016 team overachieved, his 2018 team overachieved. His 2017 team didn't underachieve. There's not really evidence that he's a terrible coach. Besides 8 games with Tristan Thompson I guess?

999Guy
10-15-2020, 08:09 PM
HBK taking a huge W here tbh.

Lue is absolutely a good coach. Anybody who actually followed, not just casual watched the 16-18 Cavs knows the structure and game planning Lue brings.

light
10-15-2020, 08:11 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1316807495088734209?s=21

Billups is lead assistant coach

Ty and Billups are Bronsexuals.

I'd be skeptical if I was Kawhi - Klutch is trying to take him down from the inside.