PDA

View Full Version : In today's NBA, I won't draft a shooting guard with questionable 3-point shooting

Lebron23
10-25-2020, 11:32 PM
All of the elite shooting guards in this year's draft are good 3 points shooters.

And1AllDay
10-25-2020, 11:35 PM
more skilled era requires more skill

back in the old days stars didnt even know how to dribble with both hands like drexler or shoot a 3 pointer like mike

it was a limited time

modern era is different and we see it :cheers: you need to do a lot just to get a shot. no more grocery baggers round here

HoopsNY
10-25-2020, 11:40 PM

back in the old days stars didnt even know how to dribble with both hands like drexler or shoot a 3 pointer like mike

it was a limited time

modern era is different and we see it :cheers: you need to do a lot just to get a shot. no more grocery baggers round here

Harden shoots 36% from deep. I think you would take a player like him. MJ's first 5 seasons he shot just 20%. The next 8 he shot 36%. Even if you deduct the shortened line years, he's shooting 34% in the remaining years.

In an era like this, it's not difficult to imagine he would shoot 3pt %s similar to Harden.

Ben Simmons
10-25-2020, 11:45 PM
Harden shoots 36% from deep. I think you would take a player like him. MJ's first 5 seasons he shot just 20%. The next 8 he shot 36%. Even if you deduct the shortened line years, he's shooting 34% in the remaining years.

In an era like this, it's not difficult to imagine he would shoot 3pt %s similar to Harden.

Harden is a horrible example because he shoots nothing but iso stepback 3s. No reason to compare any shooter to him

HoopsNY
10-25-2020, 11:54 PM
You guys are blind if you think that players from MJ's era wouldn't evolve. In fact, they evolved in the very era they played.

MJ's first 5 seasons: 20%
MJ's next 8 seasons: 36%

Magic's first 8 seasons: 19%
Magic's next 4 seasons: 34%

Stockton's first 5 seasons: 24%
Stockton's next 13 seasons: 40%

Bird's first 5 seasons: 31%
Bird's next 7 seasons: 40%

Drexler's first 7 seasons: 24%
Drexler's next 8 seasons: 33%

Mullin's first 6 seasons: 31%
Mullin's next 10 seasons: 41%

Vandeweghe's first 6 seasons: 28%
Vandeweghe's next 7 seasons: 40%

I could go on, but you get the point. The 3 point line was introduced in the 1979-80 season. As time went on, players increased their volume, which resulted in increased 3 point %s. Even if we assume that MJ doesn't shoot 50%, 43%, and 37% in the shortened years, then what does that number look like with a regular line, given that he shot 35.4% in 1993? 45%, 39%, 35%? You can't just assume that his numbers would fall off the map.

HoopsNY
10-25-2020, 11:56 PM
Harden is a horrible example because he shoots nothing but iso stepback 3s. No reason to compare any shooter to him

I think you're missing my point. If the OP wouldn't take a guy like MJ (which seems to be the case), then he wouldn't take a player like Harden, just based off of percentages, which have a context to begin with.

I mean, no Wade, Westbrook, Harden, etc? Seems odd. Your name is Ben Simmons. No Simmons, either? Strange.

And1AllDay
10-26-2020, 12:02 AM
I think you're missing my point. If the OP wouldn't take a guy like MJ (which seems to be the case), then he wouldn't take a player like Harden, just based off of percentages, which have a context to begin with.

I mean, no Wade, Westbrook, Harden, etc? Seems odd. Your name is Ben Simmons. No Simmons, either? Strange.

Is Ben Simmons a shooting gaurd? thats news to me :oldlol:

nizroc
10-26-2020, 12:08 AM
Man tell me why Hoops keep sonning y’all dudes :roll:

For real, using Jordan as an example of a player who OP wouldn’t take because he “can’t shoot
3s” is a new level of reaching.

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 12:09 AM
Is Ben Simmons a shooting gaurd? thats news to me :oldlol:

K, let's look at more shooting guards then

Ainge's first 5 seasons: 29%
Ainge's next 9 seasons: 39%

Majerle's first 3 seasons: 31%
Majerle's next 11 seasons: 36%

Anderson's first 5 seasons: 33%
Anderson's next 8 seasons: 38%

R. Harper's first 4 seasons: 24%
R. Harper's next 11 seasons: 30%

Should I keep going or is this enough? Needless to say, players have increased 3 point percentages when their volumes began to rise. Jordan is of no exception. His highest volumes resulted in the following percentages:

1990: 38%
1993: 35%
1996: 43%
1997: 37%

Some context will help fellas. Use it.

And I know Simmons isn't a shooting guard, but Wade and Harden are, and Westbrook at least plays like one.

And1AllDay
10-26-2020, 12:09 AM

For real, using Jordan as an example of a player who OP wouldn’t take because he “can’t ahopt

bruh someone did the numbers if you take out his 2 wnba 3 pt line years he shot like 28% on 1,000 attempts

Axe
10-26-2020, 12:10 AM
Wade is easily disqualified then.

MadDog
10-26-2020, 12:12 AM

it was a limited time

Not drafting Jordan? You'd be a bigger idiot than you already are :oldlol:

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 12:12 AM

For real, using Jordan as an example of a player who OP wouldn’t take because he “can’t shoot

I'm just trying to provide context. Far too often we see these plug and play attempts and it doesn't really work that way. You have to understand the context of where the 3 pointer came into existence and how it evolved.

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 12:13 AM
bruh someone did the numbers if you take out his 2 wnba 3 pt line years he shot like 28% on 1,000 attempts

Again, context. Players evolved. With increased volume comes increased percentages. Go look at Jordan's first 5 seasons vs the rest of his career, minus the shortened years.

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 12:15 AM
So basically, no Jordan, Wade, West, Drexler, Kobe? But you'd prefer Allen, Miller, Houston, Richmond, and Klay? Interesting.

nizroc
10-26-2020, 12:19 AM
These dudes is too busy “topping” LeBron to care about context b.

Axe
10-26-2020, 01:04 AM
So basically, no Jordan, Wade, West, Drexler, Kobe? But you'd prefer Allen, Miller, Houston, Richmond, and Klay? Interesting.
Seems like it.

Lebron23
10-26-2020, 01:08 AM
Seems like it.

Wade and kobe were actually good 3 points shooters. I think Kobe had the record for most 3 pointers in a game before curry or klay broke that record.

Axe
10-26-2020, 01:11 AM
Wade and kobe were actually good 3 points shooters. I think Kobe had the record for most 3 pointers in a game before curry or klay broke that record.
You consider Wade's career 29% in 3pt shooting as good?

Lebron23
10-26-2020, 01:13 AM
You consider Wade's career 29% in 3pt shooting as good?

Probably kobe. But wade was so fast in his prime. He destroyed the Pistons zone defense in 2006.

Axe
10-26-2020, 01:16 AM
Probably kobe. But wade was so fast in his prime. He destroyed the Pistons zone defense in 2006.
Sure but then again, i thought this thread was about their long-range shooting. They are pretty solid players tho.

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 05:29 AM

Kobe shot 33% and Wade 29%. It's funny how Wade is so fast in his prime, but what was MJ?

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 10:09 AM

it was a limited time

Right but 4 of the top 5 players in the league are shooting under 35% and 3 of those shoot it at the same efficiency or worse than mj.

These bron stans dont know wtf they're talking about:facepalm

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 11:12 AM
How insecure are MJ stans? The OP didn't mention MJ. :lol He made an obvious point: if you have a SG who can't space the floor that creates problems for teams in today's NBA. Wade rarely took threes but Wade is an extreme example. He is a top 25 all-time player--just because he could do it doesn't mean any SG could. There is no Wade in this year's draft.

If MJ played today he likely would learn to shoot threes decently enough to maintain a good percentage on high volume but we don't know for sure. He could be Wade, Butler, DeRozan and just not take threes.

Harden shoots 36% while taking 13 threes a game. :oldlol: He would shoot a lot higher percentage if he didn't have that extreme volume. Shooting 36% on 13 attempts isn't the same as doing it on 4 attempts.

Right but 4 of the top 5 players in the league are shooting under 35% and 3 of those shoot it at the same efficiency or worse than mj.

You guys are willfully ignoring volume. Ask 90's MJ to time travel to today and take 13 threes like Harden, 9 like Luka, or even 6 like LeBron and his efficiency would plummet.

Jordan's highest volume years from the regular NBA line were: 3.0, 2.9, and 1.5. Even with the shorter line he never took more than 3.6 attempts.

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 11:44 AM
How insecure are MJ stans? The OP didn't mention MJ. :lol He made an obvious point: if you have a SG who can't space the floor that creates problems for teams in today's NBA. Wade rarely took threes but Wade is an extreme example. He is a top 25 all-time player--just because he could do it doesn't mean any SG could. There is no Wade in this year's draft.

If MJ played today he likely would learn to shoot threes decently enough to maintain a good percentage on high volume but we don't know for sure. He could be Wade, Butler, DeRozan and just not take threes.

Harden shoots 36% while taking 13 threes a game. :oldlol: He would shoot a lot higher percentage if he didn't have that extreme volume. Shooting 36% on 13 attempts isn't the same as doing it on 4 attempts.

You guys are willfully ignoring volume. Ask 90's MJ to time travel to today and take 13 threes like Harden, 9 like Luka, or even 6 like LeBron and his efficiency would plummet.

Jordan's highest volume years from the regular NBA line were: 3.0, 2.9, and 1.5. Even with the shorter line he never took more than 3.6 attempts.

No it wouldn't. Mj is one of the best volume shooters ever. It dosnt matter if he shoots 10 or 50 shots hus efficiency is usually pretty consistent. 3's wouldn't be any different.

And your ignoring the defensive rules today and how it makes it easier for guya to get good looks. You cant even contest shots anymore. So let me get this straight. You cant touch the defender, you cant fight through screens and you can't contest shots. Its absolutely ridiculous. Thats a way bigger factor than volume. Talk about willfully ignoring shit:facepalm

Kiddlovesnets
10-26-2020, 11:52 AM
The fallacy of this thread is that the OP assumes MJ cannot develop his 3pt shooting in this era. Think about it, Lebron had none of that when he entered the league, and now hes shooting 3s at decent level. With proper training/development, MJ can shoot 3s as good as Kobe, who is at least 2 tiers above Lebron when it comes to long range shots. If Lebron can develop his 3pts shots, no way MJ cant do the same.

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 11:57 AM
No it wouldn't. Mj is one of the best volume shooters ever. It dosnt matter if he shoots 10 or 50 shots hus efficiency is usually pretty consistent. 3's wouldn't be any different.

This doesn't make sense. He rarely took threes--which means they tended to be higher quality looks--yet he would go from taking 1-2 threes a game to 13 with no decrease in efficiency?

And your ignoring the defensive rules today and how it makes it easier for guya to get good looks. You cant even contest shots anymore. So let me get this straight. You cant touch the defender, you cant fight through screens and you can't contest shots. Its absolutely ridiculous. Thats a way bigger factor than volume.

What you listed (which somehow applies to MJ but none of his teammates who would face the same defenses :oldlol: ) doesn't erase the level of volume we are talking about. Do you think MJ could take 50 threes a game without any loss of efficiency? There is a reason Harden is the only one taking 13 threes a game. Even Curry never took that many.

Jordan has to be the best at everything. He was a 27-28% three point shooter on 1-2 threes a game from the normal line yet that volume could go from 1-2 to 12-13 with zero loss in efficiency? If so, why didn't MJ get the memo? There were people taking a lot more threes than he was when he played, including on his own team (even with the shorter line, in 97' he was 6th on the team in 3PA frequency as a % of his shots, between Kukoc and Rodman--and in the playoffs Rodman took more threes than MJ on a percentage basis). Why didn't MJ take 7, 8, 9 threes a game if he could shoot that many with no loss of efficiency?

MadDog
10-26-2020, 12:01 PM
OP and Roundball_Rock wouldn't draft Jordan/Wade because of their three point percentage. That's enough of Moe and Curly. Where's Larry? :oldlol:

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 12:13 PM
OP and Roundball_Rock wouldn't draft Jordan/Wade because of their three point percentage. That's enough of Moe and Curly. Where's Larry? :oldlol:

Where did I--or the OP say that? :confusedshrug: In particular I said:

He made an obvious point: if you have a SG who can't space the floor that creates problems for teams in today's NBA. Wade rarely took threes but Wade is an extreme example. He is a top 25 all-time player--just because he could do it doesn't mean any SG could. There is no Wade in this year's draft.

I understand lying in is your DNA as a MJ stain, but the above was written just a few posts up. :oldlol: How dumb do you think people are?

I know you are insecure about MJ, but MJ and Wade are extreme examples. They could succeed with or without threes. Name a SG in this year's draft who could without shooting threes.

Ben Simmons is a PG but is another example of an exception because he is an extreme talent. 99% of PG's who can't shoot would fail because they don't have the other gifts Simmons has.

Gohan
10-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Lebron fans are starting to make me hate him with their mental gymnastics. But mj fans need to stop arguing with them. They just do it to get a rise out of them

Wally450
10-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Wade was not a good 3 point shooter. Not bad, but not good. At his peak he was only taking 4 a game. He was so good in other areas that he didn't need the 3 point shot. If you say he was a good mid range shooter, then I'd agree.

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 12:40 PM
This doesn't make sense. He rarely took threes--which means they tended to be higher quality looks--yet he would go from taking 1-2 threes a game to 13 with no decrease in efficiency?

What you listed (which somehow applies to MJ but none of his teammates who would face the same defenses :oldlol: ) doesn't erase the level of volume we are talking about. Do you think MJ could take 50 threes a game without any loss of efficiency? There is a reason Harden is the only one taking 13 threes a game. Even Curry never took that many.

Jordan has to be the best at everything. He was a 27-28% three point shooter on 1-2 threes a game from the normal line yet that volume could go from 1-2 to 12-13 with zero loss in efficiency? If so, why didn't MJ get the memo? There were people taking a lot more threes than he was when he played, including on his own team (even with the shorter line, in 97' he was 6th on the team in 3PA frequency as a % of his shots, between Kukoc and Rodman--and in the playoffs Rodman took more threes than MJ on a percentage basis). Why didn't MJ take 7, 8, 9 threes a game if he could shoot that many with no loss of efficiency?

The 3's mj took weren't always good looks. Alot of the time he'd take them in last second shot situations. And he wouldn't take 13 3's. That be just dumb. He could go from 2-4 to 5-8. I dont see his efficiency changing at all if he upped his 3pa that much. If he took 50 that be different. And mj generally upped his 3pt attempts in the post season and it didn't effect his efficiency. In fact it went up. In the post season from the regular 3pt line mj's efficiency is as good as almost anyone.

And there were not alot of people taking way more threes than mj. The best scorers/3 pt shoters in the league rarely took even 5 a game. Whole teams were shooting like 8. Mj for his career average 1.7 threes a game. Bird averaged 1.9, Mullin averaged 2.2 and miller averaged 4.7. Nice way more.

Overdrive
10-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Where did I--or the OP say that? :confusedshrug: In particular I said:

Don't act so naive. Of course it's a jab at MJ. The Lebron crowd rehashes the same points over and over. Still don't know why you side with that BS.

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 12:45 PM

Its so stupid. Raja Rondo impact on the game in the post season is insane and that boy cant shoot for shit. The 3 ball is hella overrated.

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Don't act so naive. Of course it's a jab at MJ. The Lebron crowd rehashes the same points over and over.

Lebron23, though? Do you read his threads? He covers a wide range of topics, some completely random. You are acting like he is a MJ hater.

It is a stretch to say the OP is directed MJ. Let's suppose MJ played today and didn't learn, or didn't want to, become a proficient three point shooter. Who cares? It would only be relevant if you think MJ would become useless absent a three point shot. Why would anyone think that? We just saw what Butler did and Butler is a poor man's MJ.

I've said many times there is only one player I would draft over MJ: Kareem. You all are just insecure about MJ's place today, even after Butler's run.

La'Mello Ball would be close to the consensus #1 pick if he could shoot but he can't.

And there were not alot of people taking way more threes than mj.

Look at his own team. You have to do it by percentage of shots because MJ took so many more shots than anyone else it is a distorted picture for him.

Three Pointers as % of FGA on 97' Bulls

Kerr 51%
Harper 46%
Beuchler 34%
Pippen 31%
Kukoc 25%
MJ 16%
Rodman/Brown 7%

In the playoffs it was:

Kerr 55%
Harper 49%
Beuchler 39%
Pippen 37%
Rodman 20%
Jordan 14%

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Lebron23, though? Do you read his threads? He covers a wide range of topics, some completely random. You are acting like he is a MJ hater.

It is a stretch to say the OP is directed MJ. Let's suppose MJ played today and didn't learn, or didn't want to, become a proficient three point shooter. Who cares? It would only be relevant if you think MJ would become useless absent a three point shot. Why would anyone think that? We just saw what Butler did and Butler is a poor man's MJ.

I've said many times there is only one player I would draft over MJ: Kareem. You all are just insecure about MJ's place today, even after Butler's run.

La'Mello Ball would be close to the consensus #1 pick if he could shoot but he can't.

Look at his own team. You have to do it by percentage of shots because MJ took so many more shots than anyone else it is a distorted picture for him.

Three Pointers as % of FGA on 97' Bulls

Kerr 51%
Harper 46%
Beuchler 34%
Pippen 31%
Kukoc 25%
MJ 16%
Rodman/Brown 7%

In the playoffs it was:

Kerr 55%
Harper 49%
Beuchler 39%
Pippen 37%
Rodman 20%
Jordan 14%

Ok but im not sure what the point of frequency is in this conversation. Your argument is that mj basically isnt a good three point shooter and that he wouldn't be as effective in this era. This is just false for a number of reasons. When it mattered mj was actually an ok 3 point shooter. From the regular 3pt line He shot it 36% for the post season and it was much higher than that for the finals at 41%. The 41% is not including the years with the shortened line too.

So your only argument is that you think one of the best volume shooters ever efficiency would plummet from shooting 3-5 more threes a game all while playing in the easiest scoring era ever. It makes no sense dude.

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 01:28 PM
If he played today he likely would be a proficient three point shooter--since he showed an ability to excel at everything. He would have practiced it more, presumably. These are reasonable assumptions but no guarantee. Players like Wade, Butler have had success without shooting threes so it isn't a requirement. You just have to factor that in when you build a team, as the Bulls learned when they had Wade, Butler, and Rondo together briefly.

I'm saying if he shot 28% on 1-2 threes a game and his volume increased to Harden's (13 a game), and 80's/90's MJ is time traveling to now, his efficiency would go down. Yes. If he could maintain that efficiency at that extreme volume, he would have taken more threes when he actually played. There is value in the 3 point threat, his teammate made effective use of the transition pull up 3 in the latter half of the 90's, for example.

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 01:47 PM
If he played today he likely would be a proficient three point shooter--since he showed an ability to excel at everything. He would have practiced it more, presumably. These are reasonable assumptions but no guarantee. Players like Wade, Butler have had success without shooting threes so it isn't a requirement. You just have to factor that in when you build a team, as the Bulls learned when they had Wade, Butler, and Rondo together briefly.

I'm saying if he shot 28% on 1-2 threes a game and his volume increased to Harden's (13 a game), and 80's/90's MJ is time traveling to now, his efficiency would go down. Yes. If he could maintain that efficiency at that extreme volume, he would have taken more threes when he actually played. There is value in the 3 point threat, his teammate made effective use of the transition pull up 3 in the latter half of the 90's, for example.

But you keep using this 28%. I just gave you more accurate numbers. Regular season is irrelevant in this argument. We're talking winning and dominance so the post season is the more accurate measurement. And you guys love bringing up the shortened line so i took that equation out of it. So from the regular line in the post season mj shot 1-3 threes at 36% and in the finals its 41%. I in no way see one of the best volume shooters ever efficiency drastically dropping from shooting 2-3 threes to 4-8. It would maybe drop a little to 33 or 34 but even then thats a stretch because as you say you have factor in the easier era and him practicing it more. Still the worst case scenario i see is 33%-35% and thats not bad last time i checked. Thats as good or better than bron, luka and a few other stars who are looked at as decent 3 point shooters and thsta all im saying. He wouldn't be anywhere close to one of the best but like bron and luka he'd certainly be good enough.

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 01:51 PM

About as insecure as the fake Bulls fans on this forum.

DeRozan's highest % was 33.8% on lower volume than any of MJ's highest performing years. Wade's highest ironically was this year (33%). And guess which year had his highest 3 point attempts? :lol

The only one comparable is Butler, but he isn't the shooter MJ was, especially from mid-range. That alone should tell you that MJ has an advantage if evolving in this era.

Now now now Roundy. Let's not be deceiving again!

Harden 2010-11: 34.9%/4.0 attempts
Harden 2012-13: 36.8%/6.2 attempts
Harden 2013-14: 36.2%/6.6 attempts
Harden 2015-16: 35.9%/8.0 attempts
Harden 2016-17: 34.7%/9.3 attempts

Roundy here wants us to believe that Harden has been shooting 13 threes a game for his entire career with a much higher percentage when he shoots much less. The fact is that we have a wide array of percentages on various volume levels much lower than 13 that paint a very different picture.

Nobody is willfully ignoring anything. It's not unreasonable to think MJ would shoot 36% on 3-5 attempts. I love how Roundy consistently does a plug and play....lol @ "Time Travel!".

Create the parameters/context but then get angry when others create their own as well.

You can't just do "time travel" and not give former players the modern context in which players play. It doesn't work that way. Far too often people do this and it's completely nonsensical.

Let me guess, the 80s players like Bird would wear Converse sneakers as opposed to the sneakers they wear today? After all, we're doing time travel. Will MJ not get the relaxed perimeter rules, too? :lol

So players don't evolve, but they magically did and still do? Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt except MJ? LeBron started his career shooting 33% over his first 8 seasons and since then shoots 36%, but it's impossible for MJ to evolve the same way?

Today teams average 34 threes a game. As an example, in 1991, teams averaged 7 per game. There's no context to anything you're saying right now.

#TheHateIsReal

HoopsNY
10-26-2020, 01:56 PM
Don't act so naive. Of course it's a jab at MJ. The Lebron crowd rehashes the same points over and over. Still don't know why you side with that BS.

Precisely. TheFakeBullsFan aka Roundy wants to act like he's genuine in any of his analyses. He's not. He's just bitter.

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 01:59 PM
He wouldn't be anywhere close to one of the best but like bron and luka he'd certainly be good enough.

Probably, if he wanted to take threes. Why do you think he took so few threes when he actually played?

Drexler, Pippen, Payton all became 5-6 3PA guys later in their careers. Jordan didn't.

dankok8
10-26-2020, 02:03 PM
I can give you a ton of really good SG from this era that aren't very good at shooting 3's. Wade, Butler, Derozan...

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Probably, if he wanted to take threes. Why do you think he took so few threes when he actually played?

Drexler, Pippen, Payton all became 5-6 3PA guys later in their careers. Jordan didn't.

Well afain teams were only shooting 6-8 for most of mj's career. It was just a different era. As far as mj compared to those guys i dont know. Im pretty sure their 3pt attempts all went up during the shortened line period from 94-97. With the exception of gp they were all towards the decline of there career and had no choice to settle for a few more threes. Mj didnt have to. He transitioned his game later in his career to play in the post more. Pip and Drexler offense were alot more limited than mj.

Roundball_Rock
10-26-2020, 02:10 PM
I can give you a ton of really good SG from this era that aren't very good at shooting 3's. Wade, Butler, Derozan...

Exactly. That's why the MJ hysteria makes no sense. If those guys succeeded, surely MJ would.

I interpreted the OP to be talking about this year's draft and future drafts. You take Wade or Butler #1 this year (if you knew what they would ultimately become) and build around them to mitigate their weaknesses. That doesn't mean you take JJ Redick of Butler because Reddick shoots.

Those players are exceptions, though. Wade is top 25 all-time and Butler, DeRozan are multiple time all-NBA players. How many players of that level are in a draft? Wade's level? Top 25 all-time so once every 3 years or so on average. Multiple time all-NBA? What, 2-3 guys in a typical draft? If you are a regular starter or bench player and are a SG who can't shoot in today's NBA you are in trouble and need some other big strengths to offset it.

Well afain teams were only shooting 6-8 for most of mj's career. It was just a different era. As far as mj compared to those guys i dont know. Im pretty sure their 3pt attempts all went up during the shortened line period from 94-97. With the exception of gp they were all towards the decline of there career and had no choice to settle for a few more threes. Mj didnt have to. He transitioned his game later in his career to play in the post more. Pip and Drexler offense were alot more limited than mj.

Pippen did it so he could be a threat from anywhere on the court at any time, which is one reason he did it a lot in transition to throw off defenders. He was in his peak when he started shooting threes. Drexler was in decline, Payton was in his prime.

Jordan was already so lethal he didn't "need" it but neither did Kobe, right?

Bronbron23
10-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Exactly. That's why the MJ hysteria makes no sense. If those guys succeeded, surely MJ would.

I interpreted the OP to be talking about this year's draft and future drafts. You take Wade or Butler #1 this year (if you knew what they would ultimately become) and build around them to mitigate their weaknesses. That doesn't mean you take JJ Redick of Butler because Reddick shoots.

Those players are exceptions, though. Wade is top 25 all-time and Butler, DeRozan are multiple time all-NBA players. How many players of that level are in a draft? Wade's level? Top 25 all-time so once every 3 years or so on average. Multiple time all-NBA? What, 2-3 guys in a typical draft? If you are a regular starter or bench player and are a SG who can't shoot in today's NBA you are in trouble and need some other big strengths to offset it.

Pippen did it so he could be a threat from anywhere on the court at any time, which is one reason he did it a lot in transition to throw off defenders. He was in his peak when he started shooting threes. Drexler was in decline, Payton was in his prime.

Jordan was already so lethal he didn't "need" it but neither did Kobe, right?

Kobe didnt need it as much but he also came up after mj and in a time where the 3 ball was significantly increasing. When he came in in 97 threes have already double since mj's days. 10 years into his career 3's were being shot 3 times more than mj's days. Its only natural kobe would shoot more also. Plus its not like he shot that many anyway. He only averaged 4 a game for his career.